• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 6: Final Destination confirmed for not fun

I think it's just that her tumbling ends slightly before she hits the ground, then she lands normally.

It could be possible that WFT is supposed to have better balance or whatever and goes into hard knockdowns less often.

This would be a nice touch...but I highly doubt it.

Berordn

A lot of Yoshi's animations looked like they were ported from his Brawl model to his new one. He probably hasn't gotten another art pass yet.

DaBoss

So let's talk about the new stuff we've seen for Villager.

Pocket (Neutral B) So this isn't that significant, but I can't believe they did this lol.

He can actually pick up Sonic's spring and then place it. I thought that was pretty cool. Maybe he'll pick up some other unusual things as well.

His Final Smash, Dream Home.

I think it is really fitting for Villager. And we have Tom Nook, Timmy, and Tommy appear. So it does seem Tom Nook read Villager's invitation and decided to help him build his dream home. And look at Villager's eyes, they look even more evil.

Side Special, Lloid Rocket

So it seems it is a projectile and a ride-able one as well. You probably have to hold Side B in order to ride it. There is the possibility of it only being ride-able when used in the air.

Up Special, Balloon Trip

Now here we see probably the biggest recovery in the game. It reminds me of Pit's old recovery and that was huge. But it seems like this one would be much easier to stop than Pit's because it seems once you pop the balloons Villager goes into a helpless state till he lands on the ground. So that's a fair trade-off.

I never would have thought Villager would have the best recovery options in the game (so far). Definitely an interesting character.
Anyone get the impression that the newcomers all look better than the veterans? Every newcomer has this amazing smoothness to them, so polygonally smooth and perfect with amazing high-res textures. But then you look at some of the veterans, and you can really see the Brawl ancestry in there. There are definitely exceptions, Pikachu looks fuckin amazing, but Yoshi looks kinda awful, and I'd have expected him to look round and perfect like some other dudes.

I think they really did just start with Brawl models and upgrade them, while the newcomers with their brand-new skeletons are genuinely just higher quality. Kind of a shame.
I think it is pretty clear the game is still in development in terms of visuals given the fact they still use placeholder stuff like Brawl character icons.

Well it's a good thing he has that Side Special... Pocket would be useless for Kirby otherwise. Speaking of, I wonder how Rosalina Kirby works...

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

So this isn't that significant, but I can't believe they did this lol.

He can actually pick up Sonic's spring and then place it. I thought that was pretty cool. Maybe he'll pick up some other unusual things as well.

His Final Smash, Dream Home.
http://i.minus.com/ilTBgQpivq9PQ.gif[IMG][URL]
I think it is really fitting for Villager. And we have Tom Nook, Timmy, and Tommy appear. So it does seem Tom Nook read Villager's invitation and decided to help him build his dream home. And look at Villager's eyes, they look even more evil.

Side Special, Lloid Rocket
[URL="http://a.pomf.se/dtlkpa.webm"][IMG]http://i.minus.com/iblYI5Iypvvm9t.gif[/MG][URL]
So it seems it is a projectile and a ride-able one as well. You probably have to hold Side B in order to ride it. There is the possibility of it only being ride-able when used in the air.

Up Special, Balloon Trip
[URL="http://a.pomf.se/efigvu.webm"][IMG]http://i.minus.com/iqEAnnRFxgMqO.gif[MG][URL]
Now here we see probably the biggest recovery in the game. It reminds me of Pit's old recovery and that was huge. But it seems like this one would be much easier to stop than Pit's because it seems once you pop the balloons Villager goes into a helpless state till he lands on the ground. So that's a fair trade-off.

I never would have thought Villager would have the best recovery options in the game (so far). Definitely an interesting character.[/QUOTE]

I wonder if he can pick up Rush.

That just makes me wish it would be these guys instead.

110032-eba.jpg

I need this in my life.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I think it is pretty clear the game is still in development in terms of visuals given the fact they still use placeholder stuff like Brawl character icons.

I'd sure be swell if they actually do another pass on all the veterans to bring them up to par with the newcomers, but I won't be holding my breath. Maybe that'll contribute to the Wii U's extra six months in the oven, though. On the 3DS the models all look pretty much on par with each other already.

ffdgh

Anyone get the impression that the newcomers all look better than the veterans? Every newcomer has this amazing smoothness to them, so polygonally smooth and perfect with amazing high-res textures. But then you look at some of the veterans, and you can really see the Brawl ancestry in there. There are definitely exceptions, Pikachu looks fuckin amazing, but Yoshi looks kinda awful, and I'd have expected him to look round and perfect like some other dudes.

I think they really did just start with Brawl models and upgrade them, while the newcomers with their brand-new skeletons are genuinely just higher quality. Kind of a shame.

Yeah this has me a bit worried but many vets do have nice visual changes.

I think I've had enough of spinoff characters.

Fine...Atlease let him be a boss again with Ganon as an alternative lol.

DaBoss

I wonder if he can pick up Rush.
lmao

The thought of that is hilarious. I actually laughed out loud.
I'd sure be swell if they actually do another pass on all the veterans to bring them up to par with the newcomers, but I won't be holding my breath. Maybe that'll contribute to the Wii U's extra six months in the oven, though. On the 3DS the models all look pretty much on par with each other already.
Ehh, the 3DS models are much less detailed than the Wii U ones and don't even have to be at the same level as Brawl's. It is a relatively low effort required for the 3DS models.

It depends on the character. On one hand, all their facial animations look incredible and are a massive step-up from Brawl in this area (excluding Sonic and Link, who just look weird now), yet you can definitely tell some models were ported over (Diddy Kong in particular was noticeable for me). I'm largely okay with it though if it allowed them to retain as many characters as they could from Brawl (as opposed to just crafting entirely models for everyone, which would definitely be more time-consuming).

Yeah a lot of the returning ATs and Pokemon look pretty chunky and shitty, and then you have Skull Kid there who looks as good as any newcomer.

Excluding the N64 fingers, of course. ;)

It depends on the character. On one hand, all their facial animations look incredible and are a massive step-up from Brawl in this area (excluding Sonic and Link, who just look weird now), yet you can definitely tell some models were ported over (Diddy Kong in particular was noticeable for me). I'm largely okay with it though if it allowed them to retain as many characters as they could from Brawl (as opposed to just crafting entirely models for everyone, which would definitely be more time-consuming).

Diddy and maybe Fox are the two that stick out most for me, among the veterans. Hopefully they do another pass/tweak. To me, though, I feel like I can see a difference between the two in this pic:

Could be imaging things, though, I admit.

Jaeger

So happy my main chick, Sheik is back. ZSS is awesome. She got alot of play from me in Project M.

Geninja is awesome. He was my starter in X.

Hatchtag

Banned

I never would have thought Villager would have the best recovery options in the game (so far). Definitely an interesting character.

I absolutely love that the Villager's turning around after running looks and sounds just like it does in Animal Crossing, complete with the squeaky/screechy sound.

I wonder why Sakurai didn't go too in-depth with Wii Fit Trainer like he did the other newbies?

Sakurai only went really in depth for newcomers revealed since the developer direct, since he went really in depth about them then.

Mr. F

Banned
After looking through some of the new screens I kind of wish characters would actually look at what they're attacking. Small thing but I liked that detail in SM3DW and MK8 where characters would turn their head or make eye contact to others nearby.

I had to go to work immediately following the Direct and then fly to Boston the next morning, so I didn't get to participate in the discussion, but here are some quick thoughts:

- The hype was absolutely, completely real. What a fantastic Direct.
- Sakurai was doing some intense trolling and it was glorious. The Pseudo-Palutena trophy and Waluigi doll were just the best.
- Mega Man's Final Smash is too fucking hype. It's just too much. I'm only one man, Sakurai... have mercy.
- At first I saw the Greninja reveal at the end as kind of a letdown, but then I watched the trailer a couple more times and I'm pretty hyped for it. A neat, if entirely unexpected choice. Does make me start seriously wondering about Mewtwo's chances of returning, though...
- I feel like standalone Charizard pretty much means Pokémon Trainer is cut, and I'm not confident about Squirtle and Ivysaur's chances either. I won't particularly miss any of them, but yeah, I think they're gone. Ivysaur MIGHT have a shot since he's a Grass-type, but Greninja seems to make Squirtle completely superfluous.
- I could not be happier that transformation characters are now separate. Zelda was my second-best in Brawl, and I'm absolutely thrilled to finally have her as a full character without a special being "wasted" on her Sheik transformation. (I'm sure there's a much bigger number of Sheik players who feel the same way, just the other way around.)
- Very happy to finally see Yoshi confirmed, and I'm looking forward to seeing how different he feels to play!
- 60 FPS even in stereoscopic 3D for the 3DS version is amazing. Sakurai is just ridiculous.
- Only two songs per stage in the 3DS version seems a bit limited, but for me one of the best moments of the Direct was the confirmation of My Music returning for the Wii U version. However, Sakurai made it sound like a ton (maybe even the majority) of the music will be pulled from Brawl and other past games. I really hope that isn't the case, and it's probably not, but I did find the wording a little suspect.
- I 100% did not expect Elec Man as the (a?) Mega Man Assist Trophy, but I'm totally down with it. He looks great, and the Thunder Beam fires up and down just like it should!
- Really great idea for each stage to have a Final Destination form, but the whole "For Glory" and "For Fun" crap is ridiculous. You can be competitive on non-FD stages and with items on, though Sakurai did at least get the idea that FD-only, no-item matches aren't fun correct. Definitely an unfortunate attempt to cater to always-unappreciate "hardcore" community, though.
- Balloon Fight is suddenly a handheld game? Wha?
- Between the new leak from the same guy who leaked Wii Fit Trainer, Mega Man, etc. and the Pseudo-Palutena trophy, I'm 100% certain Palutena is in.
- I'm less certain about Ridley. The shadow thing and the fact that he didn't outright show Ridley as a boss in Pyrosphere was weird, but it does seem like he didn't make the cut again. It's no skin off my back as I'm not a Ridley fan, but if he indeed is not in, my condolences to RidleyGAF.
- If that leaker is indeed 100% legit with all his claims, I'm so hyped for the Chorus Men it's not even funny.
- The only veteran I really, really want to see confirmed to return at this point is Ness (all my other returning vet wishes like Zelda, Sonic, and Toon Link have already been fulfilled). I'm not really worried about him yet, but not seeing him or Captain Falcon in this Direct was kind of disappointing.
- I'm selfishly excited to be playing Smash 3DS this summer, but damn if Nintendo isn't determined to kick the Wii U in the shins at every opportunity it can. In no way does this situation help the Wii U even a little bit. I'm buying both versions day one of course, but I'm pretty sure this won't be the case with the majority of the audience.
- I'm loving the overall abundance of items, Assist Trophies, and Pokémon this time around. It's almost insane how many items are making an appearance in this game, and the Namco ones shown in the press screens are so cool!
- I'm thinking no more characters this month, one veteran in May, and 3-4 newcomers and a couple veterans in June for E3.
- Assuming most Brawl veterans aren't being cut, we could be looking at a seriously large roster, a much bigger one than I'd guessed at first. I assumed no more than 45 characters, but it's starting to look like I might be wrong about that.

TL;DR - In my veins. Need it. Now.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

I'm pretty sure that they would iron it out after Smash 3DS's release date.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I had to go to work immediately following the Direct and then fly to Boston the next morning, so I didn't get to participate in the discussion, but here are some quick thoughts:

TL;DR - In my veins. Need it. Now.

Glad to hear that you are excited. We are hyped and excited with the direct. Did you heard about second leak (from same guy that leaked Mii, Pac Man, Wii Fit Trainer, Little Mac, Villager and Mega Man?)

RagnarokX

- I feel like standalone Charizard pretty much means Pokémon Trainer is cut, and I'm not confident about Squirtle and Ivysaur's chances either. I won't particularly miss any of them, but yeah, I think they're gone. Ivysaur MIGHT have a shot since he's a Grass-type, but Greninja seems to make Squirtle completely superfluous.

Well of course Pokemon Trainer is cut. No more transforming characters means his gimmick is out the window.

Terrell

Doesn't make much sense really, as at that point Aura has probably built up anyway. It also is the opposite of a comeback mechanic, and is unrelated to Mega evos in x and y.
I thought we were passed this around the time Mario learned how to Kamehameha.

I know Giga Bowser is Smash Bros tradition, but Bowser's final smash should be like he gets in the koopa clown car and drops giant steel balls on the battlefield.

I'd prefer the clown-faced propeller thing just go ground-pound apeshit all over the place.

Or better yet, summon his airship battalion and/or minions. That'd be brutal.

But it is agreed, some of the Final Smashes need work, and it seems like they're doing that. I mean, Cook was fuckin' adorable and all, but it seemed like an odd choice for Kirby's Final Smash, so I'm glad they tweaked that.

In regards to all the Ridley back & forth in that thread, I will post you the final conclusion I have come to and I am sticking to it:

Agreed. Before this direct it would have been easy to project our own perceptions of "trolliness" onto Lord Sakurai, but now it is blatantly obvious that he knows his fanbase and what they want.

Just like he knew we wanted Sonic & now Little Mac in the west, Megaman globally, the Palutena leak, & that we were worried whether or not transformations would be a thing and thus ZSS/Sheik were in danger, it seems safe to assume he is playing up the Ridley thing for all it's worth and he may be a troll but to twist the knife like that even if he was a jerk, would be BAAAAD publicity.
Conclusion: Ridley will probably be playable.
The only one twisting the knife are fans desperately clinging to hope.

The more I think about it...

The more I think I'm certain that Ridley will not be playable. I am almost sure that he will be in the game, but I cannot imagine any way to incorporate Ridley into the game without making him massively OP/ way too big for the roster. The whole thing with the trailer seems to indicate that he won't be playable, and I think its honestly getting ridiculous that people are claiming that its not even him. I understand people are disappointed, but I don't think Sakurai is intentionally trying to tease him in the future.

The only way I can think of that Ridley could possibly be playable is in some mode where one person plays as a boss and everyone else tries to take him down. The problem with this existing is that the only other boss we know for sure to exist- Yellow Devil- is pretty static and controlling him would be incredibly boring for both the person fighting him and the person controlling him.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Chesnaught haters I'll cut you!
jk

I wonder why Sakurai didn't go too in-depth with Wii Fit Trainer like he did the other newbies?

It's villager that he didn't go deep into much. WFT he did, from breathing to sun powered projectiles (HAMON!) to having alt characters.

Jintor

Chesnaught haters I'll cut you!
jk

It's villager that he didn't go deep into much. WFT he did, from breathing to sun powered projectiles (HAMON!) to having alt characters.

Villager showed off like 6 moves, WFT 2 moves and the Alt. Though we've seen WFT's final smash before I guess.

RagnarokX

I'd prefer the clown-faced propeller thing just go ground-pound apeshit all over the place.

Or better yet, summon his airship battalion and/or minions. That'd be brutal.

But it is agreed, some of the Final Smashes need work, and it seems like they're doing that. I mean, Cook was fuckin' adorable and all, but it seemed like an odd choice for Kirby's Final Smash, so I'm glad they tweaked that.

What if Bowser's Final Smash was this:

rqJdMLk.jpg

Koopaling barrage: They appear and start flying around attacking everyone shooting their magic wands and stuff.

jnWake

Anybody notice that the scene where the Greninja CG reveal took place was a bit similar to the one in Mega Man's reveal? I wonder if that's intentional and a subtle hint at some kind of adventure mode or just a random thing.

Anyway, on another topic: 3DS version being released in Summer makes me wonder what will happen with Miiverse Daily Pics. With the full roster being revealed, the daily pic loses a lot of appeal. I guess some hype could come from new stages or maybe details on single player modes but it isn't the same... Unless they're planning on keeping some characters from the 3DS version until Wii U launch (free DLC for 3DS of course).

Also, holy shit at the Mega Man Backstreet video. I've replayed it like 20 times haha.

Hatchtag

Banned
Anybody notice that the scene where the Greninja CG reveal took place was a bit similar to the one in Mega Man's reveal? I wonder if that's intentional and a subtle hint at some kind of adventure mode or just a random thing.

Anyway, on another topic: 3DS version being released in Summer makes me wonder what will happen with Miiverse Daily Pics. With the full roster being revealed, the daily pic loses a lot of appeal. I guess some hype could come from new stages or maybe details on single player modes but it isn't the same... Unless they're planning on keeping some characters from the 3DS version until Wii U launch (free DLC for 3DS of course).

Also, holy shit at the Mega Man Backstreet video. I've replayed it like 20 times haha.

I think we'll still get daily pics, and the occasional veteran reveal. Guessing Ice Climbers, Wario, and Lucas or Ness (with the other being unlockable) will all be revealed pre launch. That's 3 veterans right there. Throw in a newcomer at E3 and that's a reveal a month through August right there.

Glad to hear that you are excited. We are hyped and excited with the direct. Did you heard about second leak (from same guy that leaked Mii, Pac Man, Wii Fit Trainer, Little Mac, Villager and Mega Man?)

Yep, I actually referenced it in my post. If accurate (and I believe it is, since this is the same dude who pissed off everyone by correctly predicting Wolf in Brawl and who is now 5 for 5 in predicting Smash 4 newcomers), words cannot express how hyped I am for the Chorus Men. Palutena and Shulk will be legit exciting, too!

Top Bottom