• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 6: Final Destination confirmed for not fun

Kyzon

I'm not holding out hope for Takamaru at this point, but if he were there, I'd swoon. Sakurai's previous retro character re-imagining of Pit was phenomenal, I could only imagine what he would do with Takamaru.

Awesome, and great to hear there's talk of balance patching to the game.

How many weeks/months would you like to suffer?
From 3DS release to Wii U release sounds like a good amount of time.

I don't see how you would rather no landing lag canceling than having it be manual. What's the barrier of entry here other than actually learning about it?

It's all connected. Smash is a game with so much depth, so I never saw the reason to remove aspects of the game that increased the skill gap when we've seen in both 64 and Melee how those games appealed to all types of crowds, and they both had Z/L Canceling.

I don't think anyone would be in favor of removing manual L-cancelling without making it automatic to compensate. But good point.

It's true that L-cancelling does increase the skill gap. I just think its merit needs to be reevaluated. Is it worth increasing the skill gap in such a way that the overall depth and strategy is unchanged? Shouldn't increasing the amount of strategic possibilities be the whole point of increasing the skill gap?

GamerJM

Banned

I noticed this a couple of days ago but didn't have time to do anything. If you watch Diddy, when he jumps it looks like he becomes floaty in a similar fashion of the "Triple Jump Glitch" or some sort from Brawl. I know it's still in development and is hopefully going to be subjected to change but I felt like pointing it out.

Also this is my first webm; hope it is satisfactory :)

It's.....not a WebM.

If we're discussing moveset changes, I clocked Charizard's F-Air has been changed from flapping his wings to a slashing attack. Made me think if Ridley does make an appearance, that type of attack might fit Ridley more if he is playable, and maybe that's why they changed it. </delusion>

GamerJM

Banned
I don't see how you would rather no landing lag canceling than having it be manual. What's the barrier of entry here other than actually learning about it?

Uh, being able to actually do it in practice. Am I misunderstanding something?

I've mentioned before that I'm a non-competitive player, so to go into personal stuff, I've gone into practice mode and messed around with L-canceling in Melee and Project M, and I'm able to do it but not consistently, and certainly not consistently enough for me to put it into practice in an actual match.

I made this moveset for him a long while back. He's one of my top choices for a newcomer so I wanted to give him a good moveset. People seemed to like it when I showed it to them! What do you guys think?

Edit: in case its hard to read it's a "Pump" based moveset where his strengths come from pumping balloons up and using them to his advantage.

tumblr_m9hmin2JjQ1r37powo1_r1_500.jpg

Could you explain pertinent details here? Not easy to understand diagram for me anyway. Why is his Neutral b shooting lightning bolts BTW?

ALM5252

Uh, being able to actually do it in practice. Am I misunderstanding something?

I've mentioned before that I'm a non-competitive player, so to go into personal stuff, I've gone into practice mode and messed around with L-canceling in Melee and Project M, and I'm able to do it but not consistently, and certainly not consistently enough for me to put it into practice in an actual match.

But the more you practice or try it out while in a match, the better you can get.

I used to be bad all L-Canceling in Melee. I practiced and learned it. I don't get it 100% of the time, but I can do it a good majority of the time.

Could you explain pertinent details here? Not easy to understand diagram for me anyway. Why is his Neutral b shooting lightning bolts BTW?

The Clouds in Balloon Fight occasionally shoot out lightning bolts that can pop your balloon.

Caladrius

I changed my roster around a bit.

4bczwz3.png

There are 7 post-Brawl newcomers, 7 &#8220;old&#8221; newcomers, and 2 guest newcomers. I tried grouping related games/series together.

The Gematsu leak has me curious about Shulk. How different from Ike would he be? Surprisingly, YouTube doesn&#8217;t seem to have any compilation videos of his various Arts.

They fight nothing alike. Shulk just uses basic sword strokes and lunges. The similarities end there.

His arts make use of most of his abilities. (Monado speed, Monado Shield [nullify weaker attacks], Shadow eye [attack buff], shaker edge [stunning slice], Battle Soul [HP restore], Monado enchant [damage buff to weapons], Monado eater [inflicts bleed and removes buffs], Monado armor [defense buff], Monado cyclone [inflicts toppling effect].)

They have a lot of room as far as making a moveset goes.

Mariolee

4bczwz3.png

There are 7 post-Brawl newcomers, 7 “old” newcomers, and 2 guest newcomers. I tried grouping related games/series together.

The Gematsu leak has me curious about Shulk. How different from Ike would he be? Surprisingly, YouTube doesn’t seem to have any compilation videos of his various Arts.

Would replace Bowser Jr. and Duck Hunt with Snake and Takamaru. I really feel like Snake will be in this. I FEEL IT IN MY BONES.

Other than that, I would not mind this roster at all.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
They fight nothing alike. Shulk just uses basic sword strokes and lunges. The similarities end there.

His arts make us most of his abilities. (Monado speed, Monado Shield [nullify weaker attacks], Shadow eye [attack buff], shaker edge [stunning slice], Battle Soul [HP restore], Monado enchant [damage buff to weapons], Monado eater [inflicts bleed and removes buffs], Monado armor [defense buff], Monado cyclone [inflicts toppling effect].)

So Basically he will be buff character, which would add interesting aspect to the game. Nice.

Would replace Bowser Jr. and Duck Hunt with Snake and Takamaru. I really feel like Snake will be in this. I FEEL IT IN MY BONES.

Other than that, I would not mind this roster at all.

I really hope that you are right. We'll see. I really like the roster as well too.

Fancykong

His arts make us most of his abilities. (Monado speed, Monado Shield [nullify weaker attacks], Shadow eye [attack buff], shaker edge [stunning slice], Battle Soul [HP restore],

Slight correction. Light Heal restores HP and Battle Soul cuts his HP by half to increase his talent gauge.

That said, I'm hyped for Shulk as well!

Caladrius

Slight correction. Light Heal restores HP and Battle Soul cuts his HP by half to increase his talent gauge.

That said, I'm hyped for Shulk as well!

My bad. It's been nearly a year since I played the game.

So Basically he will be buff character, which would add interesting aspect to the game. Nice.

Indeed. I neglected to mention that many characters in Xenoblade use auras, which have special buff effects, including the dreaded "spike" effect that does damage to anyone in range. Those would be good for Down smashes.

backlot

There are 7 post-Brawl newcomers, 7 “old” newcomers, and 2 guest newcomers. I tried grouping related games/series together.

The Gematsu leak has me curious about Shulk. How different from Ike would he be? Surprisingly, YouTube doesn’t seem to have any compilation videos of his various Arts.

I feel like if Toon Zelda was in the game they wouldn't have given the Phantom to normal Zelda.

Vyse24

His arts make us most of his abilities. (Monado speed, Monado Shield [nullify weaker attacks], Shadow eye [attack buff], shaker edge [stunning slice], Battle Soul [HP restore], Monado enchant [damage buff to weapons], Monado eater [inflicts bleed and removes buffs], Monado armor [defense buff], Monado cyclone [inflicts toppling effect].)

With the announcement that the game would have custom move sets, it would be cool to decide what Monado technique you can give him.

And if he does get in the game as playable, then I want Riki as an AT.

DaBoss

Zero Suit Samus

Straight forward stuff.

Some old moves that look cooler with jet boots

These are all moves from Brawl. Forward Air, Back Air, Up Tilt, and then Side Tilt. It all looks much cooler with the rocket boots.

And the rocket boots is a neat idea to have instead of just high heels.

New Recovery

ZSS has a Up Special. No more stupid tether recovery using that unreliable laser whip. This is a welcome change. We also see ZSS grabbing the ledge from quite the distance...

And in the second clip/GIF we see ZSS using the Up Special to send Marth up in to the air with her and then it ends off in a kick. It also seems like she doesn't go into a helpless state after using the move.

New Side Smash (WebM users, you can right-click and adjust play speed to 0.5x | GIF is at 0.5x speed)

Replaces the laser whip from Brawl. It is a 2-stage smash attack. Does some sort of twirl kick straight into a straight kick with the other leg. Whether it is a good replacement is not really known.

So what happened to her laser whip? It doesn't seem to be gone since it seems she still uses it for her Side Special as shown here:
iFzHrv8wtWZaw.jpg

And it seems it has a new animation as shown here:
iinKd6JLuNYcH.jpg

The laser whip never appeared behind her like that or even appeared that early when used in Brawl. It appears once ZSS lunges her arm forward. Maybe they made that part actually do damage as well.

And the stun gun is still here as pointed out by IntelliHeath:
ibkuSqrTgG0BA1.jpg

Revven

I noticed this a couple of days ago but didn't have time to do anything. If you watch Diddy, when he jumps it looks like he becomes floaty in a similar fashion of the "Triple Jump Glitch" or some sort from Brawl. I know it's still in development and is hopefully going to be subjected to change but I felt like pointing it out.

That's not the triple jump glitch. The triple jump glitch is when you grab the ledge with your Up B and the next time you land on the stage you will go into your Up B landing lag animation. Only a few characters had this in Brawl (Captain Falcon, Marth, Wolf, and I think a few others). It was awful and hopefully they've addressed that (I haven't seen it in any of the footage so far, at least).

That said, what's actually happening there is Diddy is getting the footstool jump as if he performed it because Luigi is in the middle of his Ftilt animation. The reason it looks like a glitch is because Luigi doesn't get interrupted like you would expect him to and Diddy also goes higher than a normal footstool jump actually would. The Diddy player meant to double jump but instead he performed the footstool while Luigi was using his Ftilt which didn't cancel out the animation. The only time the footstool animation can play on the victim player is if they are in their idle animations and some other non-move animations.

If it's still happening I'm wondering if the insane height gain is on purpose or if they just simply haven't bothered to fix it/address it. Who knows, maybe they don't see it as a hindrance/problem to the player. I felt it was a problem and annoying whenever I played Brawl for the first year or so that this random footstool super jump height shit would happen. And it's all because they have footstools still mapped to the jump button. If they made it a separate input (or allowed the player to set it as one) then this bug wouldn't happen as often as it does. Or even simply let the footstool interrupt the animation they're in and put them into the normal "I got footstooled" animation whether on the ground or in the air.

It makes me think the whole thing is on purpose (like they programmed all of it to be this way) if they haven't fixed it this far into development.

weaKwillO

That's not the triple jump glitch. The triple jump glitch is when you grab the ledge with your Up B and the next time you land on the stage you will go into your Up B landing lag animation. Only a few characters had this in Brawl (Captain Falcon, Marth, Wolf, and I think a few others). It was awful and hopefully they've addressed that (I haven't seen it in any of the footage so far, at least).

That said, what's actually happening there is Diddy is getting the footstool jump height as if he performed it because Luigi is in the middle of his Ftilt animation. The reason it looks like a glitch is because Luigi doesn't get interrupted like you would expect him to and Diddy also goes higher than a normal footstool jump actually would.

If it's still happening I'm wondering if the insane height gain is on purpose or if they just simply haven't bothered to fix it/address it. Who knows, maybe they don't see it as a hindrance/problem to the player. I felt it was a problem and annoying whenever I played Brawl for the first year or so that this random footstool super jump height shit would happen. And it's all because they have footstools still mapped to the jump button. If they made it a separate input (or allowed the player to set it as one) then this bug wouldn't happen as often as it does.

Aye, footstool height was my first thought and what I should have said but no animation was throwing me off. I was kind of waiting to see what you would say about it. Thanks for clarifying.

Codeblue

ZSS's recovery is confusing me. If she has jet boots, wouldn't pointing her feet toward the ledge propel her in the opposite direction?

Ryce

I feel like if Toon Zelda was in the game they wouldn't have given the Phantom to normal Zelda.
Oddly enough, that's what makes Toon Zelda seem more likely to me. Clones/semi-clones tend to share special move concepts. Comparing Link with Toon Link, Ness with Lucas, Fox with Falco, and so on, I think it's more likely that Zelda and Toon Zelda would share down specials rather than have totally unique ones.

EulaCapra

ZSS's recovery is confusing me. If she has jet boots, wouldn't pointing her feet toward the ledge propel her in the opposite direction?
The reason behind it is because she has jet heels and not jet boots.

Jet heels have the special property of not giving a fuck about sensibilities.

backlot

Oddly enough, that's what makes Toon Zelda seem more likely to me. Clones/semi-clones tend to share special move concepts. Comparing Link with Toon Link, Ness with Lucas, Fox with Falco, and so on, I think it's more likely that Zelda and Toon Zelda would share down specials rather than have totally unique ones.

I don't know. The Phantom is included as a specific reference to Toon Zelda. I feel like if Toon Zelda was playable they would have at least tried to reskin Zelda's version of the attack as something else to try and keep the characters a little bit unique. Sort of like how Link has the Gale Boomerang but Toon Link has a normal boomerang.

But with Sheik as a separate character now we'd have three Zelda's.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Well, I have a feeling that Sakurai are trying to make difference between Toon Link and Link with their animations. Link have new animation for aerial up attack and running attack. Who know?

rawktapus

Ryce

I don't know. The Phantom is included as a specific reference to Toon Zelda. I feel like if Toon Zelda was playable they would have at least tried to reskin Zelda's version of the attack as something else to try and keep the characters a little bit unique. Sort of like how Link has the Gale Boomerang but Toon Link has a normal boomerang.
Zelda's Phantom is much more detailed than the Spirit Tracks one. If Toon Zelda's playable, her Phantom would likely look a lot more cartoony. It might even have different properties (speed, attack power, et cetera).

Toxi

Banned
And people were getting upset about dedicating so many slots to Pokemon!
It amuses me that there's such a double standard. There are 4 characters confirmed for Zelda (With Ganondorf as a shoe-in for 5) and 4 characters confirmed for Pokemon (With Jigglypuff as a shoe-in for 5). Yet despite Pokemon selling far more and being the more popular series by far, people complain about "too many Pokemon" and never seem to complain about too much Zelda.

It amuses me that there's such a double standard. There are 4 characters confirmed for Zelda (With Ganondorf as a shoe-in for 5) and 4 characters confirmed for Pokemon (With Jigglypuff as a shoe-in for 5). Yet despite Pokemon selling far more and being the more popular series by far, people complain about "too many Pokemon" and never seem to complain about too much Zelda.

I think there's too much Pokemon AND too much Zelda.
What do you say about that now, huh Toxi?

4bczwz3.png

Now that's a roster I can get behind. Although I'd drop Duck Hunt for someone else.

Ryce

Speaking of Greninja, what would be the easiest way for me to obtain him in Pokémon X (without starting a new file)? Had I known he'd be in Smash Bros. I'd have chosen Froakie instead of Fennekin. This is my first Pokémon game in over a decade, and I don't know anything about those newfangled features like Friend Safari.

Top Bottom