• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 6: Final Destination confirmed for not fun

DaBoss

I just realized this will be the first Smash Bros where I don't have a local multiplayer session with my sister as the first thing due to only having one 3DS....... :(

Every Smash Bros had us having tons of multiplayer matches just for fun when I boot up the games for the first time.

Jawmuncher

Speaking of awesome pictures here is my dream roster for smash

HvnLYPc.png

Nintendo History and all that.

SuperSah

Banned
Jhen Mohran as a stage please.

Battle will take place on the ship and Mohran is a hazard which'll crash into the ship every now and then.

Delex will also jump onto the ship and just nudge people around too.

Pls Sack You Rye

When we first boot up the new Smash, what will you guys do first?

I'll either:

1) Play with the UI, these always have some fun tied to it.

2) Hop into training, choose Little Mac, Battlefield and Bowser as a large target and practice.

I'll do what I did with Brawl, get all my friends together and just spend all night/day picking random fighter on a random stage.

After doing that for a few days, you have a decent idea of what characters/stages you like.

EDIT: Then I use my favorite fighters to unlock the secret characters, trying each one out as I unlock them.

I'll either:

2) Hop into training, choose Little Mac, Battlefield and Bowser as a large target and practice.

Training with with Wii Fit Trainer then Villager.

Classic or Adventure or whatever the heck mode with one of them to start unlocking characters.

Probably dip my toe into online after one run.

DedValve

Banned
Part of me wants to not get the 3ds version to fully experience the game for the first time in hd with all it's glory. Mmmmaaaannnnn is it gonna be a tough wait.

That part of me crumbles if chrom and Lucina get in however. Especially Lucina, the game needs more waifus.

Kariodude

Banned
I just realized that I want Birdo as a Smash character. Projectile could randomly alternate between eggs and fireballs. Movement could be similar to Yoshi. Birdo has been playable in other games too so it seems within the realm of possibility.

Qurupeke

Jhen Mohran as a stage please.

Battle will take place on the ship and Mohran is a hazard which'll crash into the ship every now and then.

Delex will also jump onto the ship and just nudge people around too.

Pls Sack You Rye

Yeah, I want this so much. I'd pay for that as extra DLC too. Jhen Mohran is a perfect stage...

I just realized that I want Birdo as a Smash character. Projectile could randomly alternate between eggs and fireballs. Movement could be similar to Yoshi. Birdo has been playable in other games too so it seems within the realm of possibility.
Eh, I don't know. Birdo only popped up in MK as a counterpart to Yoshi in DD, and she hasn't really appeared in spinoffs recently as far as I know.

Neoxon

oooooooooooooh that's pretty.

replace bowser jr. with K Rool, though. there's no way kremlings are in the game and k rool is not playable.
It's entirely possible that K Rool isn't playable.

I changed my roster around a bit.

4bczwz3.png

There are 7 post-Brawl newcomers, 7 “old” newcomers, and 2 guest newcomers. I tried grouping related games/series together.

The Gematsu leak has me curious about Shulk. How different from Ike would he be? Surprisingly, YouTube doesn’t seem to have any compilation videos of his various Arts.
Eh, in all honesty, the ship has sailed for Dixie. And where did you get Bowser Jr. & Duck Hunt from?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Since I brought up the unlockable stipulation, who do y'all think that are more likely to be unlockable characters?

3rd DKC representative
3rd KIU representative (Only if Palutena isn't unlockable)
Takamaru

Mewtwo
ROB
Game and Watch
Wolf
Lucas
Ike

ALM5252

I'll either:

When I get the 3DS version I might play Classic Mode with Mario or Fox first on medium.

If I have friends that also bought it, maybe we'll hang out somewhere to play multiplayer since Online will probably be packed and stuff.

For the Wii U version, I'll do the same unless I have company, then multiplayer it is with items and stuff until we feel confident in going competitive with each other. :)

Caladrius

I'll either:

Get straight to unlocking things.

NeonZ

Since I brought up the unlockable stipulation, who do y'all think that are more likely to be unlockable characters?

3rd DKC representative
Takamaru

Mewtwo
ROB
Game and Watch
Wolf
Lucas
Ike

As far as returning characters go, I think the unlockable ones (assuming they're in the game at all) likely would be:

Ness (assuming Lucas is still in)
Wolf (If Falco's still in. Although, realistically, I think Wolf would go before Falco)
Ike (replaced in the standard roster by an Awakening character, if he's still in, and moved to unlockable. An Awakening stage being default in the 3DS version doesn't make sense otherwise)
Ganondorf
Jigglypuff
Mewtwo
ROB
Game & Watch
Snake (although he needs a pre-launch reveal, like other 3rd party characters)

Considering other reveals so far, I think we're getting Falco (if he's still in) and C.Falcon revealed before launch. Previous "default" rosters always seemed to hide similar characters, like Mario and Luigi or the Link variations, but now both have been revealed from the start, so I think Falco likely would get a reveal like that too.

NotLiquid

3rd DKC representative
Takamaru

Mewtwo
ROB
Game and Watch
Wolf
Lucas
Ike

Wonder-Red, unlocked by beating 100-man Brawl of course!

3rd DKC representative
Takamaru

Mewtwo
ROB
Game and Watch
Wolf
Lucas
Ike

I like unlocking things.

Luigi
Megaman
Sonic
Ganondorf
Hades(no matter Palutena is playable or not)
A Grass-type pokemon
Mewtwo
Jigglypuff
Ness(Suppose Lucas is starter character)
G&W
ROB
Falco
new FE character from Awakening
Captain Falcon
Toon Link
Snake if he's in the game
Another character from old Nintendo

I don't really care who is lockable. It's just a minor annoyance that stops me from getting the full experience until i can do so. It doesn't really bother me but overall i see it as a net negative for the game. Smash bros is already infinitely re playable, i don't need an artificial barrier to increase my play time. Pretty much as soon as the game releases i will already know all the content and how to unlock it anyway.

I guess if it's something truly surprising like a character or stage i really didn't see coming it could be pretty cool. Even then i know i'll just end up looking it up before hand :lol.

Lunar15

I'm still wondering what the 3DS/WiiU connectivity could be. It's been a long time since I've talked about a game with handheld/console connectivity.

Maybe you can unlock 3DS stages for the WiiU?

ALM5252

3rd DKC representative
Takamaru

Mewtwo
ROB
Game and Watch
Wolf
Lucas
Ike

Veterans:
Ness
Wolf
Ganondorf
Jigglypuff
Mr. Game & Watch
Snake

Newcomers:
Ridley (play on and defeat him on Geothermal Plant 15 times to unlock him)
Takamaru
Chrom
Palutena

Some of Brawl's "Forbidden 7":

Veterans:
Mewtwo
Roy
*Dr. Mario (either as a character with Mario's old Down Special or an unlockable costume with all the colors + pills and electricity in place of Fireball and Fire)

Newcomers:
Dixie Kong
Tetra or Toon Zelda

NeonZ

It's so sad that any Xenoblade character we get is almost guaranteed to be Shulk. All the other playable characters are way better. :/

Personally, I like Sakurai's approach of generally attempting to favor protagonists before random characters (Pokemon standing out as an exception due to how it works). The line up of the Capcom crossover fighters often ends up just very random due to the whole "picking developers' favorite characters" approach.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Personally, I like Sakurai's approach of generally attempting to favor protagonists before random characters (Pokemon standing out as an exception due to how it works). The line up of the Capcom crossover fighters often ends up just very random due to the whole "picking developers' favorite characters" approach.
Who was very random in mvc?

R0ckman

???

They typically do a better job than Smash has at maintaining popular and main characters. MvC3 vanillia was an exception but that was just to make us buy Ultimate where they actually got the roster right. Smash usually shows the best it has to offer, immediately. By the time is releases the new characters shown become less impressive, I guess from a marketting standpoint it makes sense to do it that way.

NotLiquid

The choice to favor either Tron Bonne and Zero in favor of Mega Man in MvC3 is still a baffling thing and personally I don't know why Nemesis and Akuma are in the game for any other reason than padding a series rep passed three per franchise.

Ryce

I love Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, but it's absolutely baffling and inexcusable that Mega Man isn't playable. The game has 25 Capcom characters and no Mega Man, yet Smash Bros. has one Capcom character -- and it's Mega Man.

R0ckman

The choice to favor either Tron Bonne and Zero in favor of Mega Man in MvC3 is still a baffling thing and personally I don't know why Nemesis and Akuma are in the game for any other reason than padding a series rep passed three per franchise.

They had to also cater to tourney players. That was clear with Dead Pool saying - "Where yo curly mustache at?"

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Akuma is there because he represented a character that united Capcom and Marvel into the same universe aka Marvel Vs. Capcom since he appeared in one of Marvel fighting game.

Nemesis is there because Niitsuma really had a desire to add a playable monster to the fighting game ever since TvC so he decided to choose Nemesis for the monster slot. He considered Tyrant for TvC from what I remembered but he didn't have chance. He took the chance with UMVC3.

Village

Akuma is a very popular street fighter character. Also as stated above akuma is the OG cross over.

Nemisis still confused me, why didn't they put the lost planet robot in there.

As far as Zero and Tron bonne goes, i have no idea. They got zero from tvc, why not volnutt.

DaBoss

Let's talk about Rosalina & Luma

Luma Shot

This is their Neutral Special. The more you charge it, the further Luma goes. It is also used to bring Luma back to Rosalina.

Luma's Movement

The moves shown here are Neutral Special, Neutral Air, and then jabs into a finisher.

Sakurai said that Luma wanders on its own, which makes it seem like you don't have control over Luma's movement when Luma is far away from Rosalina. It also seems like Luma's position doesn't affect what moves it does. As long as Rosalina does a move, Luma will do the same move any where.

Regarding Luma's random jumping. NotLiquid thinks that Luma jumping has to do with Luma trying to be at the same height level as Rosalina. I think that is right. The first GIF/WebM in this post shows it doing exactly that. The second one shows Luma doing that as well. Here are three more examples:
iWvqj7jYZygv4.gif
iViCCpuxj5V1y.gif
ibdhafQK2nbzDj.gif

While Rosalina doesn't make Luma jump when she jumps if Luma is far away, she does influence what height Luma wants to be at.

Some Attacks
Here are some more attacks:

2 Jabs, Side Tilt, Up Smash, and Neutral Air

Also, something to note here is that Mario's cape doesn't seem to make Luma turn around here. It seems Luma isn't affected by the cape.

And even more attacks:

Back Air and Down Tilt

More Special Attacks

So Sakurai reveals this:
Side Special = Star Bits
Up Special = Launch Star
Down Special = Gravitational Pull

It's all stuff we've seen before, but we do see what the Gravitational Pull seems to do with a "traditional" projectile here. Lucario's Aura Sphere seems to go around and then disappears into Rosalina. It could be possible that the Aura Sphere can still do damage when it is going around like that and if gotten a kill like that, maybe it would count for Rosalina. And we see it has a pretty large range.

Also, it should be noted that Rosalina doesn't seem to be "flashing" which indicates invincibility when grabbing the ledge.

Now there are 3 questions left with the specials being revealed. Which one summons the Luma? It would probably be either the Side Special or Neutral Special since there seems to be no use without having a Luma. It could possibly be both. I also think it can't be summoned in the air.

And if only one of them summons the Luma, what does the other attack do when the Luma is missing? Is it just useless, or does it do some damage?

And lastly, what is Kirby's copy ability going to be? I'm thinking it will be the star bits attack. But it could potentially work like Kirby's Olimar copy ability where it would pluck a Pikmin and throw it immediately and then the Pikmin disappears. So with Rosalina & Luma, it could summon a Luma, then use the Luma Shot, and then it would disappear. That would be weird if it is the latter.

Power Star

And finally, their Final Smash. It looks cool. It seems some of the stars coming out of the big power star don't seem to bounce all of the time which is a bit odd.

I thought their final smash would be some sort of star bit storm lol.

Rosalina & Luma are very interesting since they are pretty unique. I'm just curious as to how Luma's movement is going to be handled. If it is AI-controlled, I hope it isn't stupid.

NeonZ

MVC1? Gambit over Cyclops, and that's in spite of up until then Cyclops was generally promoted as the "main" X-Man in Capcom's Vs games. There's also the oddity of War Machine over Ironman, but that's supposedly due to licensing.

In MvC2, in addition to Morrigan, there was Anakaris, B.B.Hood and Felicia before Demitri (and that's not getting into the sprite rips for the Marvel side, where they basically added everyone they had available, and the few new characters were only for the X-Men, leaving the non-X-Men Marvel line up fairly odd).

In MvC3/U, yet again Felicia and Hsien-Ko before Demitri. Zero and Tron before any version of Megaman. Dr. Doom and Super-Skrull before Mr.Fantastic. Several X-Men related characters before Cyclops.

Edit:

Looking at other series...

In CvsS1, there was Nakororu before Haomaru.

In CvsS2, Hibiki before Kaede (Last Blade), Kyosuke before Batsu (Rival Schools), Yun before Alex (Street Fighter III).

Capcom has a long tradition of this type of character choice.

NotLiquid

Akuma is there because he represented a character that united Capcom and Marvel into the same universe aka Marvel Vs. Capcom since he appeared in one of Marvel fighting game.

I'm not trying to rag on Akuma really - even if he was in Children of Atom he was strangely absent from MvC, and in that line of games Mega Man was always present up until 3. My problem with MvC3's roster is merely one of oversaturation on the part of some Capcom reps, and Street Fighter + Resident Evil are the easy ones to rag on since their respective franchises exceed a number of three per team. But that's all numbers on my part.

No Megaman in UMvC3 is simple: Capcom JP thinks that Americans don't like Megaman. Seth Killian said this some time ago.

That's... a pretty weird excuse to have, especially when you consider the inclusion of Tron Bonne who is even more of an anomaly.

Really interested in how the Luma separation will feel when playing. Can imagine dishing out some kickass combos once you get the hang of it. Should be a very fun new character mechanic.

I'm not trying to rag on Akuma really - even if he was in Children of Atom he was strangely absent from MvC, and in that line of games Mega Man was always present up until 3. My problem with MvC3's roster is merely one of oversaturation on the part of some Capcom reps, and Street Fighter + Resident Evil are the easy ones to rag on since their respective franchises exceed a number of three per team. But that's all numbers on my part.

That's... a pretty weird excuse to have, especially when you consider the inclusion of Tron Bonne who is even more of an anomaly.
At time they set the roster, MML3 was being made. Perhaps that influenced their decision.

Village

MVC1? Gambit over Cyclops, and that's in spite of up until then Cyclops was generally promoted as the "main" X-Man in Capcom's Vs games. There's also the oddity of War Machine over Ironman, but that's supposedly due to licensing.

In MvC2, in addition to Morrigan, there was Anakaris, B.B.Hood and Felicia before Demitri (and that's not getting into the sprite rips for the Marvel side, where they basically added everyone they had available, and the few new characters were only for the X-Men, leaving the non-X-Men Marvel line up fairly odd).

In MvC3/U, yet again Felicia and Hsien-Ko before Demitri. Zero and Tron before any version of Megaman. Dr. Doom and Super-Skrull before Mr.Fantastic. Several X-Men related characters before Cyclops.

Dr. Doom is probably WAY more popular and reliant to everything in the marvel U than the fantastic 4 themselves aside from reed being in the Illuminati . Despite getting out FF stuff is self contained or effects the marvel u later, or they end up helping other heroes , Doom fucks with everyone. Super Skrull was supposed to be a replacement for adding all 4 of them .

Also zero is popular.

Also while cyclopes is right is popular now, cyclopes wasn't exactly the hot shit for a long long time.

Top Bottom