• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 6: Final Destination confirmed for not fun

Sciz

He's not talking about the blue and orange, he's talking about the "half crystal, half flesh" motif that is the signature look of Soulcalibur/Soul Edge.

Unless you're saying every movie poster is half-crystal and half-flesh...

I'd sooner chalk this up to the same artists being involved than assume it's tied into SC content somehow.

Alternative short version of this post: Anyone got any stage boss ideas in mind? what series do you think could utilise this new stage gimmick the most?

Mario: Bowser Jr. and/or the Koopalings
Yoshi: something to do with Kamek
Kirby: Heavy Lobster, Kracko, Mr. Sun and Mr. Moon, Dynablade, maybe Nightmare or Marx if they really want to go nuts
Punch-Out: Pick an opponent, any opponent
Sonic: Robotnik in da house
Metal Gear: Metal Gear

DaBoss

There could be a few mistakes here, so take look at it with some skepticism. You should hard refresh if they don't start jumping at the same time for you (Ctrl+F5).
ibgZM6teDdDbFK.gif
im6sIkudsoZ3V.gif
i8sL5ISOObwii.gif
i11iLrF8DdYqn.gif

---------------------------------------- Brawl ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Smash 4 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Project M ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Melee -----------------------------

Total frames (brackets indicate amount of frames right before landing animation):
Brawl = 53 (50)
Smash 4 = 45 (43)
Project M = 39 (37)
Melee = 39 (37)

Frame that second jump starts:
Brawl = 16
Smash 4 = 16
Project M = 15
Melee = 13

Another thing to note. They all start falling at the 23rd/24th frame (Melee seems more like 22nd/23rd frame).

All 0.03 seconds per frame (30ms/frame)

It isn't a different GIF, but I still feel the PM one is missing a frame.

This measures fall speed assuming the jump heights are the same. And it clearly isn't, but still interesting to see.

Technically, the Wii U version of an Awakening could be fought on a boss, depending upon whether they use the final chapter of the game as inspiration. Can imagine a certain dragon's head wrapping around to his back and unleashing a blast of dark breath energy at the opponents, and players can attack the head.

Imagine that with Id ~ Purpose playing in the background.

Neiteio

I don't see the flesh. It just looks like standard good vs evil imagery, or as someone said earlier, law vs chaos. Linking it to SoulCalibur sound like wishful thinking to me.
It's the same type of flesh as on Soul Edge. Dark and veiny. It's not hard at all to see the similarities.

But yeah, it probably is just a coincidental motif. Like I said, I can definitely see the Soulcalibur parallels, but I'm only realistically expecting Pac-Man.

GamerSoul

Prodigy can't detect sarcasm? *Looks out window* I don't see any horsemen... yet

It's the same type of flesh as on Soul Edge. Dark and veiny. It's not hard at all to see the similarities.

But yeah, it probably is just a coincidental motif. Like I said, I can definitely see the Soulcalibur parallels, but I'm only realistically expecting Pac-Man.

Yea, they just so happen to share some similarities. That's all some were pointing out.

Revven

There could be a few mistakes here, so take look at it with some skepticism. You should hard refresh if they don't start jumping at the same time for you (Ctrl+F5).
ibgZM6teDdDbFK.gif
im6sIkudsoZ3V.gif
i8sL5ISOObwii.gif
i11iLrF8DdYqn.gif

---------------------------------------- Brawl ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Smash 4 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Project M ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Melee -----------------------------

Total frames (brackets indicate amount of frames right before landing animation:
Brawl = 53 (50)
Smash 4 = 45 (43)
Project M = 39 (37)
Melee = 39 (37)

Brawl = 16
Smash 4 = 16
Project M = 15
Melee = 13

This measures fall speed assuming the jump heights are the same. And it clearly isn't, but still interesting to see.

Frame data posts about fall speed...

I approve

thumbs-up-matt-leblanc.gif

I'm still glowing from the Greninja reveal. Such a good choice. Such flawless implementation. SO MUCH HYPE.

Oh, and I need the music they played during Greninja's reveal. As well as the various new Punch-Out arrangements.

You're supposed to start hyping up the next reveal ;)

GamerJM

Banned

I would get so hype if it was a SoulCalibur rep though. Nightmare or Sigfried has always been like, a dream that would never happen for me, like Goku is for some people.

Berordn

I wonder if ZSS is going to keep her stage intro with the suit pieces. They gave her a nice early advantage and since they were items it could be turned against her.

It's probably not that important if they're willing to address some of ZSS's shortcomings now that she's uncoupled from suited Samus, but I always thought it was kind of neat.

I wonder if ZSS is going to keep her stage intro with the suit pieces. They gave her a nice early advantage and since they were items it could be turned against her.

It's probably not that important if they're willing to address some of ZSS's shortcomings now that she's uncoupled from suited Samus, but I always thought it was kind of neat.

I doubt it, given that she can no longer switch back and forth.

I really would like to see a Link's Awakening level on the 3DS version. It's probably my favorite 2D Zelda, I would love to see some representation.

ibgZM6teDdDbFK.gif
im6sIkudsoZ3V.gif
i8sL5ISOObwii.gif
i11iLrF8DdYqn.gif

Total frames (brackets indicate amount of frames right before landing animation:
Brawl = 53 (50)
Smash 4 = 45 (43)
Project M = 39 (37)
Melee = 39 (37)

Brawl = 16
Smash 4 = 16
Project M = 15
Melee = 13

There's lateral movement in the Smash 4 gif, and it looks like Fox has a higher jump in both Smash 4 and Brawl (which would naturally lead to more frames).

Tyeforce

On a slightly unrelated topic, there are gonna be A LOT of items in this game. I took the liberty of creating a roster of all the items we've seen so far, and it certainly looks like these games will nearly double the selection that Brawl had.

Smashbros_ItemRoster_zpsde425f85.png
SO MANY ITEMS! :D

Also...it's called Spiny Shell, not Blue Shell. Why does nobody ever call it by its correct name? =/

The former, I think there's also a little bit of the latter but the jump height shouldn't be terribly different from Melee afaik.

to follow this up, King Dedede, who has the fastest falling speed in Brawl, would be behind Melee Ganondorf for 11th if his was copied over to Melee

Neiteio

I really would like to see a Link's Awakening level on the 3DS version. It's probably my favorite 2D Zelda, I would love to see some representation.
Two of my most-wanted stages would be Koholint Island from Link's Awakening and Clock Town from Majora's Mask, but where the 3DS version is concerned, there are already two Zelda stages (Spirit Tracks and Gerudo Valley), so... Maybe, but I'm not counting on it.

Did I mention I'm excited about Greninja, though? And oh, the Kalos Elite Four stage looks scrumptious.

Neiteio

Some ideas suggested by GameXplain (who in turn got them from fans, I believe):

- What if Ice Climbers are announced to coincide with the April 24 release of NES Remix 2?

- What if Meta Knight is announced May 2, the U.S. release date of Kirby Triple Deluxe?

- What if Ness is announced on Mother's Day (second Sunday of May in both U.S. and Japan)?

- What if Wario is announced on May 30, release date of Mario Kart 8?

What if? What if? What if?

- What if Ice Climbers are announced to coincide with the April 24 release of NES Remix 2?

- What if Meta Knight is announced May 2, the U.S. release date of Kirby Triple Deluxe?

- What if Ness is announced on Mother's Day (second Sunday of May in both U.S. and Japan)?

That's a lot of what-ifs that won't happen.

Tyeforce

Because Spiny is a Mario enemy and their shells are red?

Because it's a shell, it's blue, and even on a video game forum no one is that pedantic.
But the official name is Spiny Shell, not Blue Shell. It always has been. It's understandable enough to have people refer to it as Blue Shell in normal conversation (doesn't make it any less wrong or annoying to hear, though =P), but if you're compiling a list of items like that and using official names for everything else, you should probably refer to the Spiny Shell by its official name, too.

It's just a pet peeve of mine. =P

DaBoss

So another thing to note. They all start falling at the 23rd/24th frame (Melee seems more like 22nd/23rd frame).

The Blue Shell first debuted in Mario Kart 64 where it was called the Spiny Blue Shell. The Blue Shell is what most people commonly call it. Given the other shells are called by their colors, I don't see why people wouldn't call the Spiny Blue Shell just by its color.

GamerJM

Banned
I LIKED BRAWL BETTER THAN MELEE.

I'm sure I'm not alone, but it sure feels like it sometimes.

I liked Brawl better than Melee but not because of how floaty it was. I liked it better as a full package, the floatyness and lack of hitstun was a negative to me but everything else it added balanced it back out (I'm not a competitive player so they didn't ruin the game to me). This is why PM is easily my favorite of the series though.

Erm, no one was saying you didn't or couldn't like Brawl? A lot of people don't like Brawl, why does that need to be contested by saying you like it? :s

Oh, no, I'm just playin' around. I guess that wasn't very clear... oops.

I really did like Brawl better than Melee, and it seems like most posters on here feel the opposite. I don't feel judged or like I need to defend my preference or anything, I'm just proud!

RiggyRob

Chaos kin also flees like an erratic bug when under attack, with the size of Palutena's temple it would have ample room to flee in preparation for a return attack later on using one of its portal dodads.
Hewdraw is interesting since as you said the heads separate allowing 3 opportunities to get off a finishing blow. As it stands I expect Palutena's Temple to just remain as the games big stage with no real gimmicks to it other than mass, but you never know.

I'm thinking Fire Emblem could be good for a boss, I say this purely so I can once again throw down against the Black Knight with my man Ike but I don't consider that too likely either, plus I kind of need Ike to be reconfirmed first.

Black Knight would be a great boss, but I think that because he wasn't a boss in Brawl, he won't be one in Smash 4. Which is a shame, considering Fire Emblem is now (or should be) considered of the same importance as Star Fox and Metroid to Nintendo.

</Fire Emblem bias>

Bolded because... awesome idea. Now I'm REALLY hoping they do that.

Black Knight would be a great boss, but I think that because he wasn't a boss in Brawl, he won't be one in Smash 4. Which is a shame, considering Fire Emblem is now (or should be) considered of the same importance as Star Fox and Metroid to Nintendo.

</Fire Emblem bias>

Fire Emblem is definitely MORE important than Star Fox these days.

Top Bottom