• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 6: Final Destination confirmed for not fun

georly

Do people who write it like that coders? Just curious.

Also anyone think there will be a Smash Bros 3DS XL?

!= is mainly code syntax, but that can be used outside of coding, i'm sure. It's easier to type that than the not-equals mathematical symbol.

I'm really hoping we'll get the 3DS XL smash edition. If Yoshi and Disney can get one, Smash can get one. Nintendo has literally made a 3DS XL limited edition for every other first party 3DS game for over a year now. I think luigi's mansion, dream team, donkey kong, and mario party didn't get one, but Pokemon, animal crossing, ALBW, and fire emblem each got their own 3ds (fire emblem wasn't XL because LL wasn't out when awakening came out in japan, if i recall). So basically, every non-port, mainline entry into a franchise got a bundle. Luigi's mansion, mario party, dream team, are all spin-offs of the mario franchise.

Likelyhood of smash 3ds xl, 98%!

Codeblue

It's a pretty common thing as far as I'm aware.

Easier to type out than "=/=" and more accessible than "≠".

Edit: I haven't upgraded to the XL specifically because I'm anticipating a Smash edition.

!= is mainly code syntax, but that can be used outside of coding, i'm sure. It's easier to type that than the not-equals mathematical symbol.

I'm really hoping we'll get the 3DS XL smash edition. If Yoshi and Disney can get one, Smash can get one. Nintendo has literally made a 3DS XL limited edition for every other first party 3DS game for over a year now. I think luigi's mansion, dream team, donkey kong, and mario party didn't get one, but Pokemon, animal crossing, ALBW, and fire emblem each got their own 3ds (fire emblem wasn't XL because LL wasn't out when awakening came out in japan, if i recall). So basically, every non-port, mainline entry into a franchise got a bundle. Luigi's mansion, mario party, dream team, are all spin-offs of the mario franchise.

Likelyhood of smash 3ds xl, 98%!

We do get 3DSLL Luigi edition, that count for LM & DT I think.

I know I'm hoping for a Smash Bros. 3DS XL - I need to upgrade to an XL anyway so I've been waiting for a killer bundle. I almost got the Pokemon XY ones, but opted against them at the last moment, so at this point I'm waiting for a Smash Bros. one or a Majora's Mask 3D one, since I figure both are practically inevitable.

On the PotD: it's nice to see the Final Destination mode definitively confirmed for the 3DS, which basically confirms online For Glory mode as well. Just please add platforms before the final release Sakurai! It could be as simple as having three platform configurations, say Battlefield, Smashville, and Stadium, and scattering them among the F variations.

I know I'm hoping for a Smash Bros. 3DS XL - I need to upgrade to an XL anyway so I've been waiting for a killer bundle. I almost got the Pokemon XY ones, but opted against them at the last moment, so at this point I'm waiting for a Smash Bros. one or a Majora's Mask 3D one, since I figure both are practically inevitable.

On the PotD: it's nice to see the Final Destination mode definitively confirmed for the 3DS, which basically confirms online For Glory mode as well. Just please add platforms before the final release Sakurai! It could be as simple as having three platform configurations, say Battlefield, Smashville, and Stadium, and scattering them among the F variations.

I'm a little worried about online in the 3DS mode - a little bit of lag was fine in a game like Mario Kart 7 or Animal Crossing, but latency is going to be a big issue in a fighting game, right?... I wonder if they are even able to address it or if we'll just have to live with it, kinda like the Wii version...

Clean:
daily_20140415_yqb5w.jpg

I'm a little worried about online in the 3DS mode - a little bit of lag was fine in a game like Mario Kart 7 or Animal Crossing, but latency is going to be a big issue in a fighting game, right?... I wonder if they are even able to address it or if we'll just have to live with it, kinda like the Wii version...
I kinda figure that worst case scenario it'll still be better than SSBB, which was playable in its own way. It definitely won't be perfect if Mario Kart 7 is anything to go by, but I think it'll definitely be playable.

And honestly if Sakurai's team can somehow get SSB4 to run at 60fps in 3D on the 3DS, I think it'd be very possible that they could put together a nice netcode. Especially with Namco on their side, who I believe are pretty good at that sort of thing.

And really, lag or not, just being able to play 1v1 no items with random people online will be too awesome to not do all the time forever. And should theoretically have less lag issues since you'll be only connecting to one other person.

I'm expecting it, especially being Smash Bros. That thing is going to sell. And i'll be sure to get it!

Namco is helping out, I have no worries.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance

I played this game called Kid Icarus Uprising. I dunno if it had online multiplayer or anything but I didn't have a bad experience ever with it. Not Brawl bad anyway.

----------------

Ninja are actually assassin Samurai. True story.

I kinda figure that worst case scenario it'll still be better than SSBB, which was playable in its own way. It definitely won't be perfect if Mario Kart 7 is anything to go by, but I think it'll definitely be playable.

And honestly if Sakurai's team can somehow get SSB4 to run at 60fps in 3D on the 3DS, I think it'd be very possible that they could put together a nice netcode. Especially with Namco on their side, who I believe are pretty good at that sort of thing.

And really, lag or not, just being able to play 1v1 no items with random people online will be too awesome to not do all the time forever. And should theoretically have less lag issues since you'll be only connecting to one other person.

Yeah, the 60fps thing is just awesome. I don't at all understand why games like ALBW and SSB4 are able to run in 60fps in 3d but then Pokemon Y only has 3D in a few select sections and if you ever use it the frame rate plummets! I'm sure it's complicated and I wouldn't understand, but I'm in awe of Sakurai's magic getting Smash up to 60.

I'm expecting it, especially being Smash Bros. That thing is going to sell. And i'll be sure to get it!

Namco is helping out, I have no worries.

Oh cool, does Namco have a good track record with online?

Caladrius

Yeah, the 60fps thing is just awesome. I don't at all understand why games like ALBW and SSB4 are able to run in 60fps in 3d but then Pokemon Y only has 3D in a few select sections and if you ever use it the frame rate plummets! I'm sure it's complicated and I wouldn't understand, but I'm in awe of Sakurai's magic getting Smash up to 60.

Game Freak are not known for good optimization.

And yes.

SuperSah

Banned

GameFreak is awful at optimising their games.

Also, yeah, Namco netcode is pretty solid.

RagnarokX

This is how I'm imagining you right now:

Oh, no. Ganon was the first figure I ever collected, but he seemed kinda dull without a Link to compliment him. I thought that was the best Link for what I wanted, but he came with all of those other figures. Buying Link by himself would cost about as much as buying them all, so I just put the ones I didn't want away.

But hey, Alfonzo finally has his day.

Do you guys think the circle pad on the 3DS will hold up well for this game? Most of the games I have don't require strenuous use out of it.

georly

We do get 3DSLL Luigi edition, that count for LM & DT I think.

That's kinda true! It didn't release at the same time, though, nor was it bundled. I think that was mainly for year of luigi, though.

While I think we'll get a smash 3ds XL, could you imagine if they made franchise-specific smash 3ds xls? One for zelda, one for mario, one for animal crossing, one for megaman, ugh. I cry for the collector's now.

If we do get a smash 3ds, I wonder if it'll be simple, with just a smash ball/logo, or if it'll have sillhouettes of all the starting roster, or something else entirely.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Do you guys think the circle pad on the 3DS will hold up well for this game? Most of the games I have don't require strenuous use out of it.

I can already see people hoping for CPP support. That was the common complaint about Kid Icarus Uprising. Tiresome as it was.

I'm sorry Kid Icarus what? The Circle pad will be fine, the d-pad is what you have to worry about. A few days of Street Fighter IV turned my D-pad into a wiggly, loose ass mess.

DaBoss

SHOW TIME! Bowser's turn. Before we begin, if you haven't seen the first portion of the Developer Direct, you should. Here is a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQD1yJinzeQ

The moves he uses in order are: Side Special, Dash Attack, Side Smash, and Neutral Air.

And another thing to note is that many of this was found by IntelliHeath before. Most of it is just it in a GIF form and in one post. So thank him as well.

Bowser's New Jabs
iqiSJd7ImFOm9.gif

Instead of claw swipes, he now does some punches.

Bowser's New Back Air
iSe9Xk4Qa4ccs.gif

A drop kick like his new Side Smash. His old one involved him trying to make his shell hit you. It looked awkward. Although it is somewhat strong, it was terrible. It didn't have much reach and had a stupidly long landing animation. So glad it is gone.

Changes to some of Bowser's old attacks

In Brawl, this was just a multi-hit move that did not have much knockback. It would never send any character flying as it does in Smash 4 even at ridiculously high damage percentages (500%+, that's how far I went before I stopped lol). It seems like it will last longer and cause Bowser to fall faster now. The move seems similar to Bowser's Down Special now.

First thing to notice is that Bowser's Forward Air now has a larger hitbox. In Brawl, the swipe never went all the way below Bowser, it only attacked the side.

The other change is just an animation change. Bowser now spins while doing the Up-Smash. In Brawl it was just a small hop with no spinning.

Bowser Jump and Recovery Buffs

Bowser's second jump seems to be higher and has a new animation. When Bowser did a second jump in Brawl, he would hide in his shell and spin around in it. Now he does not go into his shell.

And Bowser's Up Special seems to be going higher as well. The height is nearly identical to Bowser's new second jump.

Bowser Not Flinching (only slowed down when the pellets hit Bowser)
inmzf2CQajSqF.gif

This is from the Little Mac reveal trailer. It is towards the end during the KO Uppercut portion. It shows Bowser using his new jabs (it was shown here first lol) at Little Mac while Mega Man was shooting at Bowser. The thing to note is that Mega Man's pellets/shots aren't causing Bowser to flinch. It was shown during Mega Man's reveal trailer that it causes flinching.

Mega Man's pellets causes Mario to flinch:
ixtXFc0D9wKpy.gif

This is something that was pointed out by somebody in the thread where Little Mac was revealed, I don't remember who, but the theory was that the pellets from Mega Man didn't cause flinching because Mega Man was shooting Bowser's shell which is now resistant to flinching or something.

Of course, another theory was that they removed the flinching effect, but that isn't the case since it shown here in the Smash Direct: http://youtu.be/7xUWnQu2Grs?t=12m49s

The other possibility is that the further the pellet goes, then the pellet loses its ability to flinch. That clip of Mega Man shooting Bowser is the furthest we've seen the pellets hit anyone.
-------------------------------
Unrelated but cool.
pokegif_by_not_quite_normal-d7eiwkf.gif

Source: http://not-quite-normal.devianta*******/art/Bounce-Bounce-Bounce-447659871

backlot

Yeah the circle pad worked fine in Kid Icarus. For example, wasn't dodging just slamming the pad back and forth? It never gave me any issues so I'm sure Smash will be fine.

I'm sorry Kid Icarus what? The Circle pad will be fine, the d-pad is what you have to worry about. A few days of Street Fighter IV turned my D-pad into a wiggly, loose ass mess.

Eh I never picked up even though I love pit. Heard the controls were really different. But if the circle pad survived that game then that's good to hear

Kriken

Do the pellets cause flinching? I mean, Fox's gun causes no flinching, but Falco's does. I don't really remember if Megaman's gun does or not

Top Bottom