• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

Jiggy

Hmm. Well, uh, take Fire Emblem, then make these changes:

-Cut out permadeath.
-Cut out the weapons triangle. (Magic still comes in different elements.)
-All experience gains and level gains are retained if you die on a map. You can also manually exit a map with a spell that the hero has.
-You explore towns between each chapter, so stocking up on items and such is more standardized than the FE games. (No revisiting towns; you'll just be taken to them as the story forces it.)
-Spells are used with MP, and eventually come to have multiple adjustable levels of power.
-Spells tend to do fixed amounts of damage in a certain range, e.g. your level 1 fire spell will do 8 damage in the beginning when you're level 1 and it'll still do 8 damage when you're 20/13 (or however high you get).
-Terrain only affects movement, not accuracy.
-Weapons don't have weights.

Now you have Shining Force 1, pretty much. Maybe a few other things I'm forgetting, but off the top of my head that's what I've got.

The second game might be a very different story.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7302227&postcount=97
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7381457&postcount=12110

Dash Kappei said:

Anyone?

I wanted to answer you, but I don't really have a very good memory on some things. What I can say is that they feel really similar, except there are very few counter attacks, so it pays to be offensive.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
His question focused more on the style of gameplay than actual concrete differences. It's much closer to a Fire Emblem game than a Tactics style game. Much, much closer. Since he likes FE and doesn't seem to like Tactics it would seem that he would like Shining Force.

Unless he hates Golden Sun. Then he might not. :lol

Man God said:
His question focused more on the style of gameplay than actual concrete differences. It's much closer to a Fire Emblem game than a Tactics style game. Much, much closer.
Yeah. Haven't played a Shining Force in a few years, but in my mind the key things it, Fire Emblem, and even Advance Wars have in common in battle that differs from FFT/TO games would be
No facing a specific direction
No height factor (unless one counts fliers)
Larger parties

It's already 1:00 over here guys! This thread should be filled with BARFS and uh other RCR sayings. I'm going for my fill now.

I have spring break this week so guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

So thinking about it, with the release of River City Ransom VC is about as close as it will get to providing me with my favorite old Nintendo system games (again) as it will get for a loooong time. The standouts are Goldeneye and Square's big RPGs, which I'm not exactly expecting soon.

Not that the other function of discovering games I wasn't exposed to back then has run out of gas.

Yaweee

This is a good week. RCR is actually a good game, and PS3 is a worthwhile... curiosity, I guess.

As for the Shining Force debate, I like them (The Genesis ones) more than the FE series. They aren't as hard, the stories are more simplistic, but the game doesn't feel like getting kicked in the balls over and over. The battles have more variety, the music is great, and the exploration/recruitment is actually really damn fun.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I own the RCR cart, never beat it, but playing RCR with the suspend state function of the VC is making me want to double-dip... still, shame it was only 2 games this week :(

MoxManiac

cpro said:
This is a good week. RCR is actually a good game, and PS3 is a worthwhile... curiosity, I guess.

As for the Shining Force debate, I like them (The Genesis ones) more than the FE series. They aren't as hard, the stories are more simplistic, but the game doesn't feel like getting kicked in the balls over and over. The battles have more variety, the music is great, and the exploration/recruitment is actually really damn fun.

If a SRPG isn't kicking you in the balls, it isn't doing it's job :p

MoxManiac said:
If a SRPG isn't kicking you in the balls, it isn't doing it's job :p

And to be honest, there are some fairly difficult battles in SF2.
the battle on the chess board comes to mind.
But even then, it's not as hard as Fire Emblem, and I don't know where it falls in comparasion as I haven't played 2 in a long while.

And, fuck yes to Earthworm Jim!

Jiggy

The hardest battle in Shining Force 1 was pretty early on, for my money... The one where you first get introduced to the evil puppets and enemies like that. The boss of that map was brutal due to the way magic damage operates and the kind of spells it had.

Edit: I also kind of got into trouble when I realized my hero was hugely underleveled very late in the game. Basically I'd been holding him back from the frontlines since you restart the map if he goes, but when he was level 15 unpromoted while everybody else was sitting around at level 5 promoted, it became a problem. Enemies would kill him in a couple hits and he could only do minimal damage. I ended up needing to bring in a bunch of stat buff/debuff spells to support him and push his level up.

That was more my fault, though.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Jiggy37 said:
The hardest battle in Shining Force 1 was pretty early on, for my money... The one where you first get introduced to the evil puppets and enemies like that. The boss of that map was brutal due to the way magic damage operates and the kind of spells it had.

Absolutely agree. I think it was in the circus tent?

Holy awesome shit. RCR is amazing. I had never spent much time with it back in the day so this is my real initiation in a sense. It's unbelievably tight and balanced. Who would have thought little deformed characters could fight so well? I love it.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Man God said:
Wait, Zombies Ate My Neighbors over Earthbound for vc?

Considering EB is coming to the DS this fall ZAMN wins hardcore.

SNES or Genesis though...hmmm.
Earthbound is coming out to the DS? When???

Capndrake

schuelma said:
Posted?

Earthworm Jim coming to the VC!!! :D :D :D

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=18335

"Four titles of its Genesis lineup are currently slated to hit the Virtual Console: Earthworm Jim, Earthworm Jim 2, Boogerman, and Clayfighter. No specific dates have yet been announced, with Interplay saying the titles will be added "later this year."
Why has nobody commented on this yet, this is pretty awesome news. They're all pretty mediocre nowadays but they're still classics.

jarrod

Banned
Capndrake said:
Why has nobody commented on this yet, this is pretty awesome news. They're all pretty mediocre nowadays but they're still classics.
I hope it's the Genesis version of EWJ, but I doubt it. :/

Capndrake said:

MEDIOCRE MY ASS!!!!

EARTHWORM JIM!!!

Now THAT'S a Megaton!!!

Can't wait!

I hope it's the Genesis version of EWJ, but I doubt it. :/

Well, they DID say "Genesis classics". :)

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Yay, Earthworm Jim! I have a lot of good memories associated with that one.

I doubt the Jim games are as good as my nostalgia makes them seem, but I'll probably pick the first one up anyway. Haven't played that game in years...

Iam Canadian said:
Yay, Earthworm Jim! I have a lot of good memories associated with that one.

I doubt the Jim games are as good as my nostalgia makes them seem, but I'll probably pick the first one up anyway. Haven't played that game in years...

I was just playing it today, in fact.

And I said to myself while playing, "You know, this game has some of the tightest controls I've ever seen in a western platform title". And the animation is superb.

I think it's held up quite well, indeed.

Ranger X

evilromero said:
Holy awesome shit. RCR is amazing. I had never spent much time with it back in the day so this is my real initiation in a sense. It's unbelievably tight and balanced. Who would have thought little deformed characters could fight so well? I love it.

Congratulations sir for you just played the best NES beat 'em up.

Jazzem

The Interplay news is pretty cool, it's western VC support and Earthworm Jim is one of the many cult classics we should be seeing more of on VC.

Earthworm Jim is pretty awesome news, don't know about the rest. And I would reckon this is the first time a purely Western publisher is jumping in (Factor 5 aside?) EDIT: There's also "Commodore Gaming" I guess..

I played the SNES version back in the day. I read on Wiki that the SNES version was missing a level, but I assume had somewhat superior audio and visuals. What are the other differences if any?

jarrod

Banned
Oh, nevermind then, that's excellent! Both because we're (finally) getting 3rd party western games *and* 3rd party Genesis games. :D

sfog

That's great to hear about EWJ and its sequel, and less so (IMO) for Boogerman and Clayfighter, although I find it interesting that they'd be the Genesis versions, when all of the other multiplatform games so far (primarily the Street Fighter series) have been the SNES versions.

Now, where's Claymates? That was an interesting platformer.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
schuelma said:
Posted?

Earthworm Jim coming to the VC!!! :D :D :D

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=18335

"Four titles of its Genesis lineup are currently slated to hit the Virtual Console: Earthworm Jim, Earthworm Jim 2, Boogerman, and Clayfighter. No specific dates have yet been announced, with Interplay saying the titles will be added "later this year."

Finally, some Western development coming to the VC. On that note, I wish to see these games back on the Gametap again.

Whenever I try to enter the Wii Shop, I get a message saying it's down for maintenence.

I can't imagine that actually being the case on a Monday. Is the server just overloaded?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
RCR has some of the best AI in any game ever. They will flank you, distract you while another one picks up a weapon and generally double or triple team you in any way possible. Some of them will even run away when you're in a position of strength only to come charging back in when you least expect it.

It's a NES game, and you don't see this type of AI by and large on games twenty years later.

Scrubking

DaBargainHunta said:
Whenever I try to enter the Wii Shop, I get a message saying it's down for maintenence.

I can't imagine that actually being the case on a Monday. Is the server just overloaded?

It's dead for me too. If it is overload I hope NOA gets the message that we want GOOD VC games that aren't shooters.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
sfog said:
That's great to hear about EWJ and its sequel, and less so (IMO) for Boogerman and Clayfighter, although I find it interesting that they'd be the Genesis versions, when all of the other multiplatform games so far (primarily the Street Fighter series) have been the SNES versions.

Now, where's Claymates? That was an interesting platformer.
Didn't EWJ Genesis have a level that was cut from the SNES version?

Anyways, all I asked from Interplay was EWJ 1 and 2 on VC, or XBLA or PSN. I get that, AND Boogerman? Awesome! :D

jay

Dash Kappei said:

Anyone?

Shining Force is much closer to Fire Emblem style SRPG than Tactics, which I see as a precursor to the stat masturbation games of Nippon Ichi. The Force games are easier than Fire Emblem and add the RPG town bits between battles, but as far as battles play out I'd argue both series focus more on using the correct units to battle enemies and positioning (as opposed to leveling the correct assortment of skills on tiny maps - not that I don't adore Tactics). Only Shining Force 1 is available on the VC in Europe and the states.

I actually have a friend who played through Shining Force 3 with me, tried Tactics and hated it, and now loves Fire Emblem so I'd say SF is a safe bet.

Jazzem

This thread is bringing back pleasant memories of Shining Force VC from last year. Such an awesome game :) The only SRPG I've ever managed to complete as well.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
[lots of opinions on Shining Force]

Thanks to all of you folks :)
Next time I'll get on Wiishop I'm gonna get it for sure... I don't want to leave out anyone because every comment was welcomed but after Jay's post I'm really confident I'm gonna like it :)

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
cpro said:

Good.
As for the "too hard" debate, well I did manage to beat FE:poR hard mode even with a no-deaths walkthrough so I'm not that bad :)

Also: Jiggy your posts about what's different in each game were awesome, thanks man.

So I take the good/awesome ones are SF1 and 2 (where only the former is released on VC atm)? Man God?

Top Bottom