• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

Why would we need 2 separate threads if all we're getting each week is shit-all staggered releases that no one wants and aren't even worth talking about.

You guys are forgetting VC is worthless.

A measly 2 (lol!) games a week VC PLUS Wiiware games that can't fit on your Wii might just be enough to get a few replies in this thread, because its usually always lacking any sort of discussion at all.

Right?!?

Capndrake

Japanese schedule for May is up: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/vc/lineup.html

Famicom:
-Bubble Bobble

Super Famicom:
-Famicom Detective Club Part II (April)
-Axelay
-Ganbare Goemon 2
-Front Mission Gun Hazard

N64:
-Nothing

Master System:
-Alex Kidd in Miracle World

Mega Drive:
-Phantasy Star III (April)
-Gynoug
-Super Fantasy Zone

PC Engine:
-Star Parodier (CD)
-Fire ProWrestling 2nd Bout
-Break In
-Martial Champion (CD)

Neo Geo:
-Fatal Fury 2
-Ninja Combat
-Burning Fight

MSX:
-Aleste
-Eggy

Thanks for translating some, MadFuzzy.

MadFuzzy

The missing Super Famicom game is Axelay.

The Megadrive stuff is Gynoug and Super Fantasy Zone.

The PC Engine game is Star Parodier.

Ninja Combat is the NeoGeo game.

RedBoot

Capndrake said:

Not much there that can help us. We'll probably see Super Fantasy Zone and Break In (and maybe import Star Parodier) over in the US/Europe next month, and the lack of stuff like Shining Force 2 and Phantasy Star 4 means we probably won't get those any time soon.

Time to wait for the Hudson sites to update to see if we actually get anything on the TG systems next month (and it better be more than just Break In).

Capndrake said:
EU VC update:

-Double Dragon (NES)
-The Last Ninja (C64)
-World Games (C64)

That's really disappointing. Australia hasn't gotten any C64 since Uridium and International Karate. Those two games that didn't really interest me, but Impossible Mission and The Last Ninja are both supposed to be excellent.

Now that I look at wikipedia, it doesn't list any c64 games for australia.... did they take them down? I'll have to check later.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Wow, no N64 games. Way to go, Nintendo.

At the very least, how about one a month?

I cannot understate how bad Nintendo is botching the VC.

Rlan

Interesting tidbit in this Q&A with Ben Judd about Virtual Console Bionic Commado:

Q: How about the original version, on Virtual Console?

Judd: That also couldn't happen.

Q: Why not?

Judd: I can't say. Let's just say this. If I'm making this, making the next gen one, we have a comic book on the community site, we're doing pod casts -- I've tried to hit every single angle I can, I've pushed this as a new franchise. If it's not on the Virtual Console, you can bet there's a reason for it.

Q: Nintendo doesn't like exploding heads?

Judd: I don't think it's exploding heads.

http://au.ps3.ign.com/articles/869/869109p1.html?RSSwhen2008-04-24_100000&RSSid=869109

Interesting considering Bionic Commando was released on the GBA Capcom Mini-Mix back in 2006, and THAT was rated T!

Might be something to look into Kobun.

Capndrake

highspeeddub said:
That's really disappointing. Australia hasn't gotten any C64 since Uridium and International Karate. Those two games that didn't really interest me, but Impossible Mission and The Last Ninja are both supposed to be excellent.

Now that I look at wikipedia, it doesn't list any c64 games for australia.... did they take them down? I'll have to check later.
Australia hasn't gotten any C64 games at all actually. They're Europe-exclusive for now.

Ranger X

What a bore month of the boring boredom.

VC needs more support. Why are most publishers ignoring it? Like the system could fly without at least TRYING to bring games to it.

Scrubking

Rlan said:
Interesting tidbit in this Q&A with Ben Judd about Virtual Console Bionic Commado:

http://au.ps3.ign.com/articles/869/869109p1.html?RSSwhen2008-04-24_100000&RSSid=869109

Interesting considering Bionic Commando was released on the GBA Capcom Mini-Mix back in 2006, and THAT was rated T!

I doubt Nintendo has anything to do with this. It's most likely Capcom not wanting anything to get in the way of the new BC sales or the fact that they have a Wii port planned down the line.

Q: How about the original version, on Virtual Console?

Judd: That also couldn't happen.

Q: Why not?

Judd: I can't say. Let's just say this. If I'm making this, making the next gen one, we have a comic book on the community site, we're doing pod casts -- I've tried to hit every single angle I can, I've pushed this as a new franchise. If it's not on the Virtual Console, you can bet there's a reason for it.

Theories:
For the same (unknown) reason the Megaman games are trapped in Europe.
Nintendo doesn't want to help promote a game on a competitor's system.
Nintendo bought some of the rights to the NES version to make the GBC game.

Doesn't matter to me since I own the cartridge, but the NES BC is a classic and deserves to be on VC.

Vinci

Danish
Yeah, so .... Nintendo .... I love you, you're awesome and all, but quit fucking holding shit back till you damn well feel like releasing it. It's annoying as hell. We were originally sold on the VC because of the potential avalanche of games from yesteryears to play again, not this 'trickle down' system you've got working right now.

Jesus.

I can see some business strategy in what they're doing, I really can, but it's too anemic at this point to even be substantial.

dyls

I wish there were two threads—one for discussion of the games being released and whether they're worth purchasing...and one for the never-ending bitchfest that this thread has become and that the WiiWare thread will almost certainly be once people realize it's not set up exactly the way they demand.

Actually, there probably will be a separate thread, just because it will give the mods another chance to wreck a Wii-related thread title.

Scrubking

dyls said:
I wish there were two threads—one for discussion of the games being released and whether they're worth purchasing...and one for the never-ending bitchfest that this thread has become and that the WiiWare thread will almost certainly be once people realize it's not set up exactly the way they demand.

Actually, there probably will be a separate thread, just because it will give the mods another chance to wreck a Wii-related thread title.

Wait until next month when Wiiware hits. Wii HD bitching will be endless.

MoxManiac

dyls said:

Oh please. Nintendo is doing a terrible job, they deserve every post of bitching in this thread.

"Oh no, the system metrics are showing people are spending their time playing cheap downloads instead of full-price retail discs. Maybe this was a bad idea... We'd better cut back on old releases to maximize dollars spent on higher-priced games."

MoxManiac said:
Oh please. Nintendo is doing a terrible job, they deserve every post of bitching in this thread.

I don't understand the complaining myself, either. It's just a nice feature every Monday which may or may not surprise with its releases. It's just too mundane of a thing for me to be complaining about it.

Ranger X

Cheesemeister said:
"Oh no, the system metrics are showing people are spending their time playing cheap downloads instead of full-price retail discs. Maybe this was a bad idea... We'd better cut back on old releases to maximize dollars spent on higher-priced games."

I'm sure XBLA is more healthy and look at that: The Xbox attach rate rocks!

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Ranger X said:
I'm sure XBLA is more healthy and look at that: The Xbox attach rate rocks!
you really think so (more healthy)? I'd have to say "not a chance in hell", unless you are talking about XBLA demos.

Jiggy

1) I doubt XBLA has been more healthy.

2) Even if it was, that's a strange comparison to make since we'd be putting classic games against (mostly) original games.

3) Even if it turned out that only the classic games on XBLA had a better tie ratio to 360 than the classic games on VC do to Wii, I'm still not sure why any of this comparative business matters. I'm only interested in whether VC can be better than it currently is, and it certainly can. Looking at the Japan lineup, they're getting Bubble Bobble a full four months later than NA, and Axelay six months later. And conversely there are games they've had for some time that could and should be available outside Japan, but aren't. (I'm hoping that Gynoug, Super Fantasy Zone, and Star Parodier don't join that crowd, seeing as I'd buy all three.) This should not be the case, unless someone can prove why getting emulation working in two regions is significantly more difficult than getting it working in one.

TheGrayGhost said:
I don't understand the complaining myself, either. It's just a nice feature every Monday which may or may not surprise with its releases. It's just too mundane of a thing for me to be complaining about it.
Wii retail is too mundane a thing for me to be complaining about. Virtual Console, on the other hand, is basically why I bought a Wii.

Jiggy

minor effort said:
Star Parodier. Please come to US VC. I have always wanted to play you.
Rated by the OFLC for Australia, so I think we're in the clear on this one. Thankfully!

Edit: And Final Soldier was rated by the ESRB. Again, seems like Hudson's intent is to get every Star Soldier game that's available on VC or WiiWare out in every region.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Speevy said:
Nothing 2 is better.

Are they done with Nintendo 64 games?

i don't think so , all VC systems are lacking right now , both N64 and SNES should have more than the other , not in japan only but for NA too I want Kirby Dream Land 3 , Super Mario All-Stars , Super Smash 64 , Majora and all the old good Mario party and a lot of SNES and N64 gems .

BooJoh

The people who complain most in this thread are the people who love VC the most I think. Those who are happy with the service as is are probably just not as dedicated to it, so of course they don't see the problem. VC is just an aside to them, while to many of us it's a major feature that increased our interest in Wii significantly.

Rlan said:

I realize there's legal issues here, but I get so tired of seeing people in the industry dance around interviewers' questions. I'm not blaming the guy being interviewed here, just wish once in a blue moon we could get some straight answers about things. I think in many cases, the forced silence may do more harm than any ugly truth would.

BooJoh said:
The people who complain most in this thread are the people who love VC the most I think. Those who are happy with the service as is are probably just not as dedicated to it, so of course they don't see the problem.
*shrug* In 17 months I've gotten 23 VC games. That's more than I physically own for Wii, pre-Advance Game Boy, or SNES. One more and it'd be tied with N64 and PS2. Quite easily the most games I've ever had for any platform in such a short time. I'm happy because it's provided.

Now, re: "fridge", Nintendo's arguments can choke on a remote.

Scrubking

Sven has given a repsonse about Bionic Commando on the VC

Svenson said:
Guys, you have to take this up with Nintendo. This is NOT, repeat NOT, a Capcom issue.

Ben has tried very hard (and even I got involved at one point) to make what you're asking for happen... alas, it is not in the cards.

Scrubking said:
Sven has given a repsonse about Bionic Commando on the VC
Hmm wonder if Sven would comment on the status of Mega Man in NA VC? That seems even more odd than a lack of Bionic Commando.

Also the next 2 pages are going to be ugly.

JSnake

April 28, 2008

Wii-kly Update: One New Classic Game Added to Wii Shop Channel

There’s one new game for the Virtual Console™ this week – and it’s a double. Double Dragon™ is a true action-fighting classic. This side-scroller brought the arcade original into the home and laid the groundwork for numerous sequels. It’ll get your nostalgia engine fired up. Now go put the hurt on some bad guys and save Marian.

Nintendo adds new games to the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time every Monday. Wii™ owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii Points™ to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. This week’s new games are:

Double Dragon (NES®, 1-2 players, Rated Everyone 10+ — Mild Violence, 500 Wii Points): Double Dragon begins with Billy Lee’s girlfriend, Marian, being kidnapped by a group called the Black Warriors. They demand to know the secrets of Billy’s martial-arts style in exchange for his girlfriend. However, Billy won’t stand for these underhanded tactics and decides to rescue her himself. Help him fight through city streets, buildings, jungles, temples and various other locations in a quest to find his girl. He’ll gain experience by using different fighting techniques to obtain more hearts, which will unlock more powerful techniques to use against his enemies. Keep an eye out for crates, boulders, whips, bats, knives and even dynamite along the way, as Billy can also use them to annihilate opponents. Armed with his mysterious and powerful martial arts, help Billy pummel his way through an array of goons, gang members and other Black Warrior scum to free Marian from their clutches.

The list of downloadable games is updated weekly on Nintendo’s Online Press Room at press.nintendo.com. For more information about Wii, please visit wii.com or contact:

Chris Olmstead Eileen Tanner

GolinHarris GolinHarris

213-623-4200, ext. 780 509-628-1993

colmstead@golinharris.com etanner@golinharris.com

# # #

Note to editors: Nintendo press materials are available at press.nintendo.com, a password-protected site. To obtain a login, please contact Danny Beardsworth 213-438-8835 or dbeardsworth@golinharris.com. Users can receive instant Nintendo information by subscribing to the site’s RSS feed.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
NES DD blows.

Hell, any version of DD blows.

Still, the bright spot in this might be an eventual DD II, which is a beat 'em up classic.

I don't know. I'm gonna stay out of the way and let people board the hate train.

Eh.

At least it's a game I'll actually download for once.

Still...one game. Poor.

Oh wait, hold on, I have an incoming message:

But-but-but, Nintendo can do no wrong! You're not ENTITLED to games, you know! The VC is a privilege and not a right! bla bla bla

I know we saw DD coming but ONE fucking game? Jesus. They better plug my ass with some Dracula X next time or else. And what's up with 2 player? Isn't the NES version single player only?

LinkAMN said:
Easily the worst week ever.

Nothing will ever match the Urban Champion/Baseball New Year's Day Update, although NOA is certainly trying their best to come close. We were sorta overdue for a one game week based on the 2008 schedule so far. I still never expected them to stoop so low and release a single NES title though. The four one game weeks in North America so far have been three SNES titles (A Link to the Past, Romance of the Three Kingdoms IV, Super Turrican) and one N64 title (1080 Snowboarding). It's just really incredible how the pace of releases have slowed down this year.

FFantasyFX said:
Nothing will ever match the Urban Champion/Baseball New Year's Day Update, although NOA is certainly trying their best to come close. We were sorta overdue for a one game week based on the 2008 schedule so far. I still never expected them to stoop so low and release a single NES title though. The four one game weeks in North America so far have been three SNES titles (A Link to the Past, Romance of the Three Kingdoms IV, Super Turrican) and one N64 title (1080 Snowboarding). It's just really incredible how the pace of releases have slowed down this year.
I imagine it'll only worsen once WiiWare launches in the states. Then they'll have an excuse to completely forgo VC releases on weeks with several WiiWare titles.

Top Bottom