• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do people even still wear fedoras? Isn't it over now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see fedoras quite frequently on campus at least three times a week, that's pretty low compared to how bad it was last fall... couldn't go anywhere without one or two catching your eye.

Sephzilla

Generally worn by the most socially inept of geeks. Those that try to use M'lady in an actual conversation seriously. Also seem to like neckbeards. Also tend to wear jeans and t-shirts with them.

Anytime I wear mine it's with at the minimum a nice dress shirt and slacks. Unless I want to look like a tool in which case I wear mine with a tracksuit or cape.

Yeah, fedoras dont work if you're in casual attire. In my opinion they also don't work if the color of the fedora doesn't match your other attire at all.

The only time I wear a fedora while in jeans/t-shirt is when it's raining out. I have a long-billed Indiana Jones styled fedora (aka the right fedora) and it keeps my head and neck perfectly dry.

i think i rock one ok

Hzaqsiu.jpg

Jasup

Can someone please explain why people hate fedoras? Never wore one, but I don't understand the hate.

I don't live in the US.

I don't live in the US either, but I've seen my share of "fedora'd gentlemen" in the wild.

Why there is hate, or rather the ridicule for fedoras can be a somewhat lenghty explanation. So I'll start with this picture posted earlier in the thread:
In that image there's a man who's stylish and he wears a fedora, no problems there. However there is a large group of people who want to be stylish or "classy" who look at that picture and see it differently, they see that he's stylish because he wears a hat. Therefore, the logic goes, fedora itself is what makes you stylish.

Of course real life doesn't work like that, as the hat is nothing but an accessory on your overall look. But looking around the internet there are tons and tons of people who focus on fedoras alone for their look - it's treated as some sort of "enchanted hat of charisma +2" just put it on and you'll instantly look good. This is wrong and is the root of bad fedora fashion.

There are social connections too as the fedora, or rather the wrong usage of one, has become a sort of a stereotype of certain cultural subgroups. Not only are they regularly connected with the "nice guys", you know the types who are not actually nice, and smug atheists and/or libertarians and such. But that's another issue.

At first the ridicule was targeted at individuals who looked awkward with their awkward style, this is common all over the internet. But as fedora usage gained momentum the ridicule shifted from the individuals themselves more towards the usage of the hat itself. There are cases where this is unfortunate, as even those who use fedoras "legitimately" get grouped with the fedora fetishists.

edit: Of course many times those who wear the hat wrong have the mindset that a hat's a hat. They usually end up with ill fitting fedoras that really don't suit them at all. It's the same with suits for example, unlike what many think you can go wrong with a suit.

leakey

Every time I see one I can't decide whether the person is just trolling, stupid, or overly smug. About as cool as a facial tattoo of a dick.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
honestly one of the better worn fedoras in this thread.

Yeah I'm reluctant to give full endorsement like, "Dude, sweet fedora!" but he's one of the better ones. Wouldn't exactly say he rocks it but he doesn't look like a M'lady dude, at least.

Honestly though unless you're a Dick Tracy-looking motherfucker then you probably shouldn't bother. I don't think certain guys make fedoras look good so much as certain guys are slabs of Grade-A Kobe man-beef with an ironclad sense of style who could make anything look good.

Nekofrog

Banned
the best part of these kinds of threads are the people who trickle in and say "i think I make it work", as if they are completely unaware that they don't make it work. every fedora bearer thinks the same thing, "it looks stupid on that guy but *I* make it work."

Demy

My dad wore a fedora yesterday along with a full track suit. He's a 70 year old guy with a big gut and a white beard. The whole gettup looks pretty gangster on him.

Dryk

I've only worn my trilby out once, to my 1920s themed 21st. Also it only ever comes close to working when its the same colour as your jacket/waistcoat guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom