• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do so many people choose bowl over burrito at Chipotle?

BossLackey

Gold Member
This is something I ask myself pretty much every time I interact with Chipotle. My friend, my family, my wife, people in line, coworkers. It seems like just about everyone gets a bowl and I don't really understand it.

This isn't even a problem. It has no effect on me whatsoever. But I can't stop wondering.

Tortillas are so good!

When I used to eat Chipotle, it was because with the bowl that was an option to consume less carbs.

However, I assume if someone eats carbs anyway, they probably get a bag of chips with it to dip it in 🤷‍♂️

KrakenIPA

Yeah im thinking its a carbs thing. Does eating a bowl of food sound easier to eat than a burrito? I dunno.

Also holding a hefty thick roll of meat turns some people off (wierdos).

When i used to eat chipotle back in like 2006-2009 you would get more in a bowl than a burrito. Also the tortilla would add an insane amount of unnecessary calories.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Also holding a hefty thick roll of meat turns some people off (wierdos).
Game Eyebrow GIF

JBat

The burrito artist at my local chipotle can't roll a burrito to save their lives so it always explodes into a mess. Plus the tortillas aren't stretchy enough so they end up ripping and falling apart anyway. I've thought about getting a bowl from Chipotle and taking it to Moe's to have them roll it lol.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
The burrito artist at my local chipotle can't roll a burrito to save their lives so it always explodes into a mess. Plus the tortillas aren't stretchy enough so they end up ripping and falling apart anyway. I've thought about getting a bowl from Chipotle and taking it to Moe's to have them roll it lol.
Ask for tortilla on the side, get a bowl, and just fill it up and roll it yourself, then eat whatever didn't fit in the tortilla on the side.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
7bQqHDh.png

This is a real burrito it's got to weigh about 2lbs. I can eat one of those and not eat anything else the whole day.

Chipolte burritos used to be bigger in the 90s before all the expansion and McDonalds investments. You could also ask them to add more meat or whatever and they wouldn't nickel and dime you. As an aside, maybe it was growing up on TexMex, but putting rice in burritos has always felt strange.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
But then you got a weird gaping burrito hole just flapping in the wind. I mean a burrito is basically a meat piñata. Technically you can cut it in half, but then all the goodies spill out.
I don't know what burritos your eating. I always cut mine in half they are so packed full nothing falls out. Are you cutting it in half eating the closed end first?

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I always order sour cream and hot salsa on the side so i can add a bit to every bite

As to the OP, yes it is mostly probably due to people cutting carbs or going on the keto diet.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Chipolte burritos used to be bigger in the 90s before all the expansion and McDonalds investments. You could also ask them to add more meat or whatever and they wouldn't nickel and dime you. As an aside, maybe it was growing up on TexMex, but putting rice in burritos has always felt strange.

While I didnt ever go there in the 90s I did start going around 2003ish? The food did seem better at that time.

CGNoire

This is something I ask myself pretty much every time I interact with Chipotle. My friend, my family, my wife, people in line, coworkers. It seems like just about everyone gets a bowl and I don't really understand it.

This isn't even a problem. It has no effect on me whatsoever. But I can't stop wondering.

Tortillas are so good!
You get a toasted tortilla on the side. Eating it out of a massive "wrapped" tortilla is too messy for most.

I prefer Crazy Burrito myself. My wife worked at Chipotle in her early 20s and she loved the food. Now she thinks the quality of the food has dropped down a quite a bit since then.

The size of the tortilla limits how much it can be filled. If you prefer to pay for the tortilla instead of meat, then more power to you. But bowls give you more food overall, less carbs from the tortilla sure but more meat and beans and whatever toppings you like to put on it. The tortilla is the cheapest part of the burrito, so if you want to actually get a decent value out of the 20 bucks a meal at Chipotle costs these days, you get a bowl.

JCK75

For an adult female a Chipotle burrito is 80% of their entire daily calorie allowance, so they think taking the tortilla out of the equation is going to solve their weight issues..
these are the same women who get a Cobb Salad at chick fila and you cannot convince them it's not healthy (1200 calories with dressing... this is the calorie count of 3 quarter pounders with cheese from McDonalds)

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Chipolte burritos used to be bigger in the 90s before all the expansion and McDonalds investments. You could also ask them to add more meat or whatever and they wouldn't nickel and dime you.
This man speaks the truth.

I also hear that some people are boycotting Chipotle because of how shrunken their burritos have become.

You get less amount of ingredients and bunch of carbs compared to bowl. For the same price and possibly more ingredient being dumped into bowl, it's pure value for money, especially the average total cost of chipotle menu with steak is over $13.

Plus, you don't want a soggy ass tortilla that eventually breaks apart while eating.

I'm sure bunch of fatasses can finish it up within 10 minutes, but there is no way I can eat that amount of food within that time frame before the tortilla becomes inedible.

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
You get less amount of ingredients and bunch of carbs compared to bowl. For the same price and possibly more ingredient being dumped into bowl, it's pure value for money, especially the average total cost of chipotle menu with steak is over $13.

Plus, you don't want a soggy ass tortilla that eventually breaks apart while eating.

I'm sure bunch of fatasses can finish it up within 10 minutes, but there is no way I can eat that amount of food within that time frame before the tortilla becomes inedible.
I agree the tortilla sucks but I'm not fat and I can eat one easily and I'm not a big guy.

DR3AM

I just got steak bowl and chips on the side. $14.65. Fuck this shit.

But the main reason for me to get a bowl is because you get more food.

YukiOnna

I don't like wrap or burrito. I just want the rice and other ingredients, lol.

Same for Shawarma, bowl only.

Coconutt

Went to a Qdoba yesterday and opted for the bowl instead of the burrito, biggest mistake I have ever made , never again. Burrito is superior to the bowl

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
americans are misguided and are carb-phobic, but then slather on giant glob of sour cream and get extra cheese....hint: the sour cream and cheese is what gets you!!!

if only you knew how much carbs french and italians eat ....

Last edited:

HoodWinked

Went to a Qdoba yesterday and opted for the bowl instead of the burrito, biggest mistake I have ever made , never again. Burrito is superior to the bowl

Ya for Qdoba Burrito>Bowl.... But actually the secret tech for Qdoba is the Grilled Quesadilla.

o.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom