• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 18, 2008

nli10

Captain Smoker said:
ChartTrack Comment:

926.000 / 9 = 102.889 units for Wii Fit.

Which approximates to 244,974 in it's launch week and 347,863 so far in total.

Will calculate MK sales this week too.

Raist

Banned
Captain Smoker said:
WiiFit managed 102.889 units last week, sales were down 58%, can someone calculate the numbers for the week before that, don´t know the formula for this. xD :)

Well for its first week, from their data on revenues generated, it was around 232k copies IIRC. Sounds about right.

ziran

A truly massive opening for GTA4! And Wii Fit making it to ~350K is great news :)

Though, fuck knows how Wii Fit has managed to chart so high, I haven't seen it anywhere! And that goes for everyone I know who wants it. I want to be in on Nintendo's secret shipping channels...

Yay! @ SMG still in the chart :D

And this:
Wii = 13
DS = 12
X360 = 8
PS3 = 4
PC = 1
PSP = 1
PS2 = 1
...really shows what's going on in the UK. Amazingly impressive for Nintendo, especially in light of PS3 and 360's biggest release of the year, if not biggest release period. By the looks of Wii Play and RRR2 being so high it's been another big week for Wii hw sales.

Raist

Banned
ziran said:
...really shows what's going on in the UK. Amazingly impressive for Nintendo, especially in light of PS3 and 360's biggest release of the year, if not biggest release period. By the looks of Wii Play and RRR2 being so high it's been another big week for Wii hw sales.

huh ?

pswii60

ziran said:
A truly massive opening for GTA4! And Wii Fit making it to ~350K is great news :)

Though, fuck knows how Wii Fit has managed to chart so high, I haven't seen it anywhere! And that goes for everyone I know who wants it. I want to be in on Nintendo's secret shipping channels...

Yay! @ SMG still in the chart :D

And this:

Well, it shows that almost all PS3/360 owners were buying GTA IV, while Wii owners were buying a variety of titles.

Nutter

I wonder if the 55/45 split was still there for GTA.

360 - ~510
PS3 - ~416

The beauty of going multiplatform.

nli10

DarkMehm said:
It's >9, not 9. Let's just say ~100k.

Yeah - I said Approximates :) AND I posted the maths response at the same time the question was asked - psychic analyst FTW. :lol

Anyway, presuming that MK:Wii did sell 180k in it's first week then it sold approximately 20,807 units this week. The 180k figure is a wild guess based on the data we had at the time though so could be a good 15k either way (but this weeks sales are still 11.56% of the first weeks sales according to CT blurbs). All due to stock shortages.

WiiFit is coming into stores and then going out. MK:Wii just isn't coming in all that often.

slaughterking said:
102.889/42 = 2449.74

2449.74*100 = 244.974 units for week 1
Ah, ok thanx. :)

So Wii Fit managed 347.863 [330.000 - 350.00] units till 05/04/2008.

Should break the 400.000 - mark this week [and remember the low stock xD].

Hopefully ChartTrack continues to mention the % - numbers for WiiFit. :)

Elios83

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/30468/360-outselling-PS3-in-GTA-software-battle

55:45 split for the first week in UK:

"It sold 514,000 copies on 360, making £22 million in revenues at UK retail. The previous record holder, Halo 3, sold 411,000 copies in its first week, making £16.9 million.
On PS3, GTA IV sold 413,000 copies in the week, taking £17.9 million at retail. That beat the previous one-week record holder, GT5: Prologue, which sold 120,000 and made £2.6 million."

PS3 won the hardware race (it increased slightly more than 360 compared to the previous week when it was already outselling the 360):

"However, PS3 hardware sales leapt 127 per cent in the week in which the game was released (Sunday, April 27th to Saturday, May 5th) week-on-week.
Xbox 360 hardware sales also felt the GTA effect, climbing 125 per cent in the week."

nli10

Captain Smoker said:
Ah, ok thanx. :)

So Wii Fit managed 347.863 [330.000 - 350.00] units till 05/04/2008.

Should break the 400.000 - mark this week [and remember the low stock xD].

Hopefully ChartTrack continues to mention the % - numbers for WiiFit. :)

Hmph - ignore my post where I posted all that mere seconds after you asked the question why don't you :D

And interesting hardware stats - the percentage climbs tell us so little :( Wonder if wii HW went up too??

Wow, just wow!

Looks like GTA has pushed 360 hardware more than PS3 though since nothing has really been bumped up for PS3!

Edit: Whoops, guess I'm wrong!

Raist

Banned
2ziy2o3.png

Italy :
Week 17, 2008http://www.forumeye.it/invision/index.php?s=&showtopic=433849&view=findpost&p=8235970

01 (__) [WII] Wii Fit (Nintendo)
02 (01) [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo)
03 (02) [PS3] Gran Turismo 5 Prologue (SCE)
04 (03) [NDS] Cooking Mama 2 (505 Games)
05 (04) [NDS] Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Sega)
06 (05) [NDS] Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training (Nintendo)
07 (10) [PS2] UEFA Euro 2008 (Electrnoic Arts)
08 (08) [PS2] PES 2008 (Konami)
09 (07) [PSP] PES 2008 (Konami)
10 (__) [NDS] New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo)

Sharp

Wow, those GTA sales are absolutely incredible. Are both versions of GTA IV, Wii Fit and MK:Wii all in a state of perpetual shortage? If so everything is even more incredible.

pswii60

Elios83 said:

55:45 split for the first week in UK:

"It sold 514,000 copies on 360, making £22 million in revenues at UK retail. The previous record holder, Halo 3, sold 411,000 copies in its first week, making £16.9 million.
On PS3, GTA IV sold 413,000 copies in the week, taking £17.9 million at retail. That beat the previous one-week record holder, GT5: Prologue, which sold 120,000 and made £2.6 million."

PS3 won the hardware race (it increased slightly more than 360 compared to the previous week when it was already outselling the 360):

"However, PS3 hardware sales leapt 127 per cent in the week in which the game was released (Sunday, April 27th to Saturday, May 5th) week-on-week.
Xbox 360 hardware sales also felt the GTA effect, climbing 125 per cent in the week."

So:

PS3 version of GTA IV: 413,000 units
PS3 hardware sales increase: 127%

360 version of GTA IV: 514,000 units
360 hardware sales increase: 125%

I still think the 360 hw sales increase is impressive given the existing UK install base. PS3's sofware sales are impressive for a similar reason.

It also doesn't reflect Pachter's comments as the hardware increases were more or less the same for both formats (only 2% difference)

ziran

Raist said:
While GTA4 has been the biggest first week ever, which is amazing (and expected), it hasn't been able to change what's happening in the UK, i.e. the embracing of Nintendo. For some reason many seemed to expect a mass conversion to HD consoles with this game, while Wii became ignored, but as we've seen in this chart it does look like Wii has sold a good amount of hw, and sw, in spite of a massive and all covering marketing campaign for GTA.

The game has no doubt sold PS3/360 hw, but it doesn't look like it's anything close to the mass conversion to HD some expected, which was always overly optimistic imo.

Elios83

pswii60 said:
So:

I still think the 360 hw sales increase is impressive given the existing install base.

I don't get this. The increase is from week to week.
And let's not forget how much the price is in favour of the 360, it's cheaper than the Wii.

The 55/45 split was only first day though, so we don't really know. Not that Rockstar cares.

The split stayed the same for the full week.

Sharp

Elios83 said:
And let's not forget how much the price is in favour of the 360, it's cheaper than the Wii.

The split stayed the same for the full week.
Oh right. I'm stupid.

pswii60

Elios83 said:
Yeah but the more people who own a 360 means less people left to potentially buy one. Market saturation, not expanding their audience, etc. The similar increase shows that fence sitters have moved to both 360 and PS3 in similar amounts, despite Pachter's feeling that the vast majority would go for PS3.

ksamedi

pswii60 said:
So:

PS3 version of GTA IV: 413,000 units
PS3 hardware sales increase: 127%

360 version of GTA IV: 514,000 units
360 hardware sales increase: 125%

I still think the 360 hw sales increase is impressive given the existing install base. It also doesn't reflect Pachter's comments as the hardware increases were more or less the same for both formats (2%)

The 360 has been selling poorly, the hardware increase is hardly impressive for a relatively poor selling platform. The PS3 increase is far more impressive because it was already selling well.

FrankT

360 outselling PS3 in GTA software 'battle'Tim Ingham Today, 6:05pm

55% of Rockstar title sales are on Microsoft machine in its first week in UK – but PS3 hardware grows 127%

More copes of Rcokstar's GTA IV for were sold on Xbox 360 than PS3 in the game's first week on UK shelves – but both companies enjoyed similar success when it came to the 'system selling' influence of the title.

That's according to official ChartTrack figures obtained by MCV, which show that Xbox 360 took a 55 per cent share of the combined sales of the game.

However, PS3 hardware sales leapt 127 per cent in the week in which the game was released (Sunday, April 27th to Saturday, May 5th) week-on-week.

Xbox 360 hardware sales also felt the GTA effect, climbing 125 per cent in the week.

According to ChartTrack data, the title broke single-format, first-week sales records on both console.

It sold 514,000 copies on 360, making £22 million in revenues at UK retail. The previous record holder, Halo 3, sold 411,000 copies in its first week, making £16.9 million.

On PS3, GTA IV sold 413,000 copies in the week, taking £17.9 million at retail. That beat the previous one-week record holder, GT5: Prologue, which sold 120,000 and made £2.6 million.

Neck and neck for the HW jumps for the week. Looks 55/45 share holds for the week for GTA IV.

ksamedi said:
The 360 has been selling poorly, the hardware increase is hardly impressive for a relatively poor selling platform. The PS3 increase is far more impressive because it was already selling well.

Not true, the last figures that CT provided had them neck and neck with the PS3 leading slightly week over week.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
The biggest All Formats No1 ever ‘Grand Theft Auto IV’ from Rockstar/Take 2 puts a stop to Nintendo’s ‘Wii Fit’ workout, replacing it at the top and outselling it by over 9 to 1.

Nine to motherfucking one! GTA is a monster.

ksamedi said:

I thought weekly 360 and PS3 sales in the UK were supposedly either neck and neck or with the PS3 having a small lead? I hadn't heard anyone state 360 UK sales were poor.

Sharp said:
Haha, yeah it is. Though they're both sold out so the comparison may be a bit silly.

And Wii Fit wasn't released this week.

Still though, great showing by GTA 4. Shoulda made a Wii version. Then they'd have topped 1.3 million.

pswii60

ksamedi said:
A relatively poor selling platform, in the UK? In Europe maybe, but 360 is still strong competition for PS3 in the UK. PS3 has been beating it out this year, but it was neck-and-neck before Christmas and apparently very close most weeks this year according to the ChartTrack article last month. Seems like a similar difference to the US has been experiencing this year.

GTA's software sales were very impressive on PS3 considering the existing install base difference though.

Sharp

ComputerNerd said:

Still though, great showing by GTA 4. Shoulda made a Wii version. Then they'd have topped 1.3 million.
As anyone who's played it could tell you, the Wii couldn't handle GTA IV, so a Wii version is not a real option. It's as simple as that.

Elios83

Jtyettis said:

Neck and neck for the HW jumps for the week. Looks 55/45 share holds for the week for GTA IV.

BTW let's not forget that a percentage bump without knowing the number it's referred to can be misleading.
You can jump from 5 to 10 or 20 to 40 and still having the same percentage jump.
We know that PS3 has been outselling 360 every week in UK but without knowing the difference it's not possible to tell the actual disparity this week although I suspect they're quite close ( 45k vs 55k).

FrankT

GarthVaderUK said:
I thought weekly 360 and PS3 sales in the UK were supposedly either neck and neck or with the PS3 having a small lead? I hadn't heard anyone state 360 UK sales were poor.

Yup, because there not.

Arde5643

Sharp said:
As anyone who's played it could tell you, the Wii couldn't handle GTA IV, so a Wii version is not a real option. It's as simple as that.
This. The Wii would be able to handle GTA:San Andreas 2.0, but not anything near GTA IV's level of detail and polish.

Arde5643

ziran said:
The game has no doubt sold PS3/360 hw, but it doesn't look like it's anything close to the mass conversion to HD some expected, which was always overly optimistic imo.
If anyone on GAF actually believed Pachter's prediction that Wii would be threatened by GTA4, it's safe to say that you should ignore and steer far far away from said person.

nli10

Sharp said:
Haha, yeah it is. Though they're both sold out so the comparison may be a bit silly.

NEITHER GTA:IV standard edition is sold out in Birmingham UK, it's easy to find both. The fact that they shipped 'over a million' in the first week (mvc) and sold 927,000 of them means there are more copies floating around in stores than most titles LTD!

I think comparisons are valid. :)

Sharp said:

But San Andreas stories is a viable option and would sell pretty darn well...

Having digested the sales data I think that it's a victory for the X360, but a very slight one. There was no sudden proportional rush to the 'newer' PS3 in terms of hardware or software, and the 360 had a 100,000 copy lead in a single week. Also I think that the long tail of the 360 version will see it staying higher in the charts at least until PS3 has a KillerAp week.

Only time will tell.

Oh and
ChartTrackBlurb said:
In under a week GTA IV has sold more units than every other title in 2007, except ‘FIFA 08’, ‘Brain Training’ and ‘Call of Duty 4’.

FIFA 08 (1,391,435)
Dr Kawashima's Brain Training (1,016,558)
Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (935,044)

For those who may have wondered.

qirex99

Banned
I was very surprised to see the so many old titles in the list - it must point to increased 360 H/W sales. (as you guys pointed out). So the question is...How many of these titles were "bundled"? vs just bought at retail?

Halo3/Forza/Bundle?

I agree that the sustained sales will tell the real story. Either way you look at it, 360 and ps3 duking it out pretty evenly really is a victory for MS.

LOL at expecting ppl to stop buying the Wii. I think we can all agree that the two markets simply dont intersect. Totally distinct and unique IMO.

Both GTA Sku's sold out by and large, so the sales weve seen were basically what shipped, GTA will be selling significantly for some time imo

nli10 said:
NEITHER GTA:IV standard edition is sold out in Birmingham UK, it's easy to find both. The fact that they shipped 'over a million' in the first week (mvc) and sold 927,000 of them means there are more copies floating around in stores than most titles LTD!

My local stores got huge delivery's on Friday but had sold out by Saturday afternoon.

I was in Gamestation, HMV and Woolworths today and neither store had a copy of the game

Innotech

Banned
ComputerNerd said:

the 60 GB Ps3 cant even handle GTA4. the wii wouldnt stand a chance.

Opiate

My thoughts on a spectacular week:

1) The PS3 pushed more GTA than I expected, both in absolute terms and relative to 360.
2) The 360 pushed more hardware than I expected, relative to the PS3.
3) I'm surprised by the lack of peripheral software entering the chart. I expected the number of PS3/360 games in the chart to rise noticably as new adopters picked up GTAIV and other games that may or may not be bundled, but that doesn't seem to have been the case. Or put differently, GTA doesn't seem to have lifted other software noticably.

I expect hardware to fall for the PS360 in the coming weeks, but I expect that fall to be fairly slow. Say, 15% a week for 4 weeks straight, until settling down to a slightly higher norm.

Massive GTA sales as was reported before. This game will shatter records in the west. Ad campaign is still in full effect here too - absolutely massive.

So did the Argos trick help VP and F2 to climb up the charts? :D Will be interesting to see how the battle for second place in the UK unfolds, now that the biggest game of this (HD) generation has been released. It seems like 360 still puts up a very good fight.

Top Bottom