• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Analogue Interactive releasing a aluminum NES/Famicom

Hrm. This might be what I get in lieu of a Famicom, if it can play FDS games. Because while the Famicom itself doesn't look bad, the hardwired controllers do...

S Video, perfect sound quality, and FDS, and I'll get one.

I'm pretty focused on my PC-Engine collection at the moment, but if this thing lives up to what it should be (ie: as close to original hardware accuracy as possible), I have a few bills I would be willing to drop on it. This is really something to keep an eye on though, as NES clones have historically been complete trash, even the ones that are dressed up all sexy-like (*cough* NEX *cough*).

sNAILMAN

Neo Member
This looks really cool. I'd be hard pressed to spend much more than $300 on it though. The extra sound quality sounds interesting.

I've been staring at the pre-order button for the last ten minutes. Really want one of these but I know I shouldn't drop half a grand on it. Definitely canceling my Retron5 pre-order now though.

Good lord that is beautiful, I have to laugh at them only shipping it with a crummy standard AV cable though at that price.

Do they gut existing NES systems for the Ricoh 20A3 and Ricoh 2C02?
Going by the FAQ it seems they gutted a bunch of used Famicom systems and leftover new NES controllers. Or at least it sounds like that, they've worded it a bit ambiguously.

uncleslappy

nethack is my favorite dark souls clone
I've been staring at the pre-order button for the last ten minutes. Really want one of these but I know I shouldn't drop half a grand on it. Definitely canceling my Retron5 pre-order now though.

WHAT?! Outside of the fancy shell, you're getting much less value for your dollar for this thing. Retron5 does NES, Fam, SNES, Genesis and GB/GBA - this does NES and Fam only. I'm insulted that they're charging $500.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
WHAT?! Outside of the fancy shell, you're getting much less value for your dollar for this thing. Retron5 does NES, Fam, SNES, Genesis and GB/GBA - this does NES and Fam only. I'm insulted that they're charging $500.
I'm certain that the Retron is just another unremarkable Chinese emulator box that doesn't do anything that my existing Windows laptop already does better.

The Analogue Nt very much seems to be a high-end product aimed for people who want to do NES "right" (original hardware, full compatibility, all Famicom extra features, integrated Four Score, integrated NESRGB). It's too rich for my blood, and I'd prefer (and am in the process of obtaining) an original NES with RGB mods anyway, but this option certainly has more value between the two.

I guess if I found myself with an extra $500 laying around, I might get one. It's certainly nice looking. Otherwise, not sure why I'd buy this over spending ~$200 to RGB mod my top loader.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Good lord that is beautiful, I have to laugh at them only shipping it with a crummy standard AV cable though at that price.

Jesus christ, you need to buy a special $49 HDMI adapter for this?

And what's up with the ridiculous pricing on all the other standard peripherals? Those better be gold plated, 10m long, with ferrite beads everywhere.

EDIT: To be fair, I'd only need to connect RGB Scart to it. But I don't see where the Scart slot is.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Not a huge NES fan, but if this offers the best video and audio quality for NES games... I'll probably buy one.

Sixfortyfive

Jesus christ, you need to buy a special $49 HDMI adapter for this?
Last I checked, this thing still only outputs 15khz 240p analog video, the same as an original NES, just in RGB quality. That's the same that you'd get out of an RGB mod for an original console.

To be honest, I'm kinda curious about the HDMI solution they're offering. $49 actually seems worryingly cheap for an upscaler if you're looking for decent quality, lol.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Tweeted asking where the Scart slot was; got the following answer: "The Nt uses a proprietary AV output and each cable is adapted from there"

Guess that explains the prices on those cables. Would be better to be able to swap the included composite/s-video cable for a European RGB Scart cable.

Sixfortyfive

Tweeted asking where the Scart slot was; got the following answer: "The Nt uses a proprietary AV output and each cable is adapted from there"

Guess that explains the prices on those cables. Would be better to be able to swap the included composite/s-video cable for a European RGB Scart cable.
Does the video port on the back not output RGBHV (VGA), or at least RGBs? That'd pretty much be the same thing.

I waited around for close to year on the Retron5 and in that time I've gotten an SNES and GEN. Honestly, going between the real hardware and high send emulation like BSNES, I prefer the original hardware. I already have an HDMI-SCART box so hopefully that will work. I guess I'll need to buy the SCART cable from analogue though.

Ugh, I'm already talking like I'm gonna buy the thing lol.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Well I'm sure its the same quality as the nes rgb boards.

Yeah, but what's that crazy mod that you guys were talking about in the upscaler thread? IIRC, it involved gutting an arcade cabinet or something... anyway, I want it to look like that.

To be honest, I'm kinda curious about the HDMI solution they're offering. $49 actually seems worryingly cheap for an upscaler if you're looking for decent quality, lol.

I am wondering about this also. What if it's somehow awesome? I'd want to buy it a la carte (which it doesn't look like you can do currently).

I don't need this thing in any way, shape or form. I have a beautiful baphomet-modded NESRGB unit... so why am I going to buy one? Am I sick?

At this price I'll just get an AV Famicom+FDS and say fuggit to having NES compatibility on box. I have an NES anyway. :/
Was mainly interested in S Video and FDS, but if the FDS isn't built in there's just no way.

baphomet

At this price I'll just get an AV Famicom+FDS and say fuggit to having NES compatibility on box. I have an NES anyway. :/
Was mainly interested in S Video and FDS, but if the FDS isn't built in there's just no way.

That's the thing. If you're happy with the toploader inferior composite only output then this thing isn't for you.

Charging $50 extra for hdmi out is pure lunacy. For $500 is should be stock with hdmi out cables and 2 controllers. It's most minor issue is that it is uglier than a Atari Jaguar. They should just sell the boards and let people 3d print their own cases.

Top Bottom