• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Payday 2 |OT| See you at the safe house.

BBboy20

I'm not getting a hypothetical Payday 3 if this unlock system returns. Couldn't figure out a way to keep people playing without resorting to artificial slot machine tactics (seriously, RAL systems exist for the need for interchangable attachments but no, for some reason you don't actually own your attachments.) Seriously, you'd think the fact these guys would most likely would pay TOP DOLLAR for gaudy shit like golden/platinum guns, suits, masks, etc. with diamond/ruby/etc encrustation of the amount of your choosing would be enough for people to keep playing. Did they even research into what the real world costs are for these weapon attachments?

The unlock system is a serious MMO like grind for a game that isn't an MMO. You are dealing with stupid random chance to unlock items. Really stupid. You can't really customize to your hearts content because you don't even know if you'll even get the items you need or want to make your character your way.

As you said, if it's like this in PD3, then i'll not buy it. The system is stupid and makes it a pain to play. The only good thing about the game is Simons soundtrack. I listen to it more than I play the game.

The unlock system is a serious MMO like grind for a game that isn't an MMO. You are dealing with stupid random chance to unlock items. Really stupid. You can't really customize to your hearts content because you don't even know if you'll even get the items you need or want to make your character your way.

As you said, if it's like this in PD3, then i'll not buy it. The system is stupid and makes it a pain to play. The only good thing about the game is Simons soundtrack. I listen to it more than I play the game.

Yeah I hear you, I'm 15 hours in and still not close to unlocking all the mods on my favorite weapons.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Well, their solution to that MMO-grind is kinda funny.

Just logged in for the first time in months and:

1978433_10100468395031415_1014700622_o.jpg

Boost system is a nice idea, but it's basically "oh you want to do PrOverkill Rats over and over and over to level up? FUCK YOU." Instead of actually fixing the problem and working the EXP payouts based on contracts upper and lower/balancing it. :|

Also they seem to have made non-foregripped P90 and AK's kick even more insane than it already was. Dunno if it's because I bought Gage 2 so they have the foregrips in the game now but I don't recall ADS red-dot accuracy being such shit with both of those guns. Good lord.

And they changed Rats to where the van isn't just there. You have to wait like five minutes for it to drive in now. Another "FUCK YOU" to grinders.

Oreoleo

Your display name is RUSHian attack? I think we played RE6 together the other day.. Thought you were a random, lol. Sent you a friend request.

TheSeks

Yeah, I joined Dragonlife since he was whining about needing people for the
shitty
versus mode of Biohazard 6.

Don't care for that mode. So I basically idled in it.

Dude nailed it

Armaly

I really like the Election Day heist. Day 2b reminds me of First World bank. With the new changes to the xp payout system I don't think i'll be infamying again.

I really like the Election Day heist. Day 2b reminds me of First World bank. With the new changes to the xp payout system I don't think i'll be infamying again.

Election heist is quite different to me. All the other heists are alright but the election one just feels good.

Still need to pick up playing the game again but that'll have to wait till the summer time.

Any good up to date Techforcer builds out there ?
I'm trying to do this one :

http://goo.gl/p5NllV

Main skills are Ironman, Bulletproof and aced Overkill and aced Fully Loaded. Idea being that Ironman and Bulletproof will give me high survivability, aced Fully Loaded allows me to almost never have to use an ammo bag which means more ammo for my teammates from my bags. I plan on using the M308 and the Locomotive on large maps, I'd activate the skill with the Locomotive and use the bonus damage with the M308 to clear the map as fast as I can. On top of the Technician's headshot bonuses this should allow me to one-shot pretty much everything, not to mention the fact that this would also benefit my shotties since I always aim for the head.
There's also the silent drill skill to not be completely useless in stealth missions.

I don't know what you guys and gals think, I don't have a lot of experience in most of OK heists (haven't tried Death Wish yet) but I'd like to tackle those difficulties so that's why I'm doing this build. At the moment I have a Enforcer/Mastermind build (lvl 69).

Also sorta unrelated but are LMGs viable ? What's the best way to use them and with which class (I suppose Enforcer but maybe there's a weird build out there) ? I really wish we could make several profiles, it's really a pain to stick to one build and not being able to experiment. There's still the respec but it only refunds 50% of the money spent.

Really digging the new track from the Election Day heist. It's definitely my new favorite track. It's a little out of the norm since it has like a orchestral/dance music combination but it's just so good. I can't stop listening to it.

I feel like the one plus of every major update is just that there's always a new track around the corner. There's almost 20 tracks of music for the PD2 soundtrack and i'm sure this train of music isn't stopping any time soon. I don't want it to. I can never get enough Simon Viklund.

Same (I'm a Level 73), I logged in after not playing for about 3 months and played some games on Overkill and deathwish and Holy shit.

What the fuck? this game has become so hard it feels cheap. I feel like all the enemies have just turned into effective Aimbotters. As soon as I peak my head out I'm getting shot all over. The AI feels cheap and it doesn't feel good to win, feels more like luck.

After playing a few matches I looked online and it seems alot of people feel the same. I'm hoping they change some things otherwise, I have lost complete interest in this game when it was a game I use to LOVE playing.

TheSeks

Overkill isn't that bad when you've got full armor. It isn't really meant to be Stealthed.

Deathwish is utterly stupid, though. Built for "go loud" people but not really balanced for that.

I hated how they nerfed the intimidation perk for the guards post patch. especially since you have to work hard to even get the perk in the first place. thankfully, they mostly left the 4 pager perk intact.

NastyBook

No joke, just did a bank heist that went great but took almost 17 minutes because of all the lock boxes. We got shafted with a random escape level though but managed to get all the bags into the chopper. We still lost because one player wasn't in the square when the buzzer went off. The rest of us were. So no money, ~25 minutes down the drain.

I love the idea of this game. The levels are very fun and the way you can spec out your characters for various roles is great. But the obscene amount of money it takes for very little gain and having long heists amount to nothing because of technical issues or other players? No thanks. Game deleted.
Damn, sorry you had such a bad time with it. But I honestly can't blame you if you kept running into brick walls. The amount of time and effort that goes into these heists can be shot to shit in a moment due to a gameplay issue or a dumbass teammate. I usually got more than enough good games from people who were all on the same page as I was, even without communicating. It's how I can hop online right now and finish a Rats job in less than 20 minutes. But yeah, if I were running into issues with freezes or an idiot who throws the coke into the water on a Day 2 Watchdogs Pro job (actually happened to me) on the regular, I'd drop the game as well. I got 10 levels left to hit 100, so I'm gonna keep at it, though.

So, umm, weapons mods as a form of DLC. Or DLC that would be better fit as simply an update so that getting mods for weapons is much easier than simply paying for it.

I don't understand why the new DLC isn't simply free. I shouldn't have to pay to be able to get a massive drop of weapon mods.

Oreoleo

So, umm, weapons mods as a form of DLC. Or DLC that would be better fit as simply an update so that getting mods for weapons is much easier than simply paying for it.

I don't understand why the new DLC isn't simply free. I shouldn't have to pay to be able to get a massive drop of weapon mods.

I sort of see what they are going for. Make the new heists free so you don't split up the player base, and charge for gun mods/grenades/knives to take advantage of the people who care about that stuff. It reminds me of the F2P model in a way.

The problem is since they don't have the opportunity to make any additional revenue on new heists they are all sorta crap. It's like they are getting smaller and smaller. I miss the bigger more sprawling heists from Payday 1 and would be more interested in a $5 or $10 heist pack if it meant more effort was put into them. Basically every heist that has come out post-release has been a big disappointment to me.

I sort of see what they are going for. Make the new heists free so you don't split up the player base, and charge for gun mods/grenades/knives to take advantage of the people who care about that stuff. It reminds me of the F2P model in a way.

The problem is since they don't have the opportunity to make any additional revenue on new heists they are all sorta crap. It's like they are getting smaller and smaller. I miss the bigger more sprawling heists from Payday 1 and would be more interested in a $5 or $10 heist pack if it meant more effort was put into them. Basically every heist that has come out post-release has been a big disappointment to me.

They don't even dedicate enough resources to make many worthwhile heists anymore. They don't even have enough to really sustain the game anyway. Not to mention that the DLC really segregates the community by fracturing it into people who own the DLC(and their respective perks) as well as those who don't. I don't like it. It's annoying. I inherently buy all DLC for the game anyway because if I don't then i'm missing out on content.

I really would like something just like First World Bank, Diamond Heist, or any of the many other great heists from the first game. I'd take one of those any day. At least the levels are grand and not tiny.

Armaly

I'm thinking about getting to infamy level 2 for the 10% skillpoint reduction. Only thing i'm dreading is the new super grind. How is it?

Uninstalled the game yesterday, it was fun for a while but there's just nothing new to keep it entertaining. I know that heists take a while but at that point it really seems like OK is going the easy way with all these weapons DLCs instead of adding other content. Besides I really don't like how they keep saying that weapons DLCs don't interfere at all with new heists since they're seperate teams. I can only suppose since I don't know the structure of the studio but I doubt that they have a "small weapon DLC" team and "other stuff" team, I mean game designers in charge of balance and testers must be the same between both teams. On top of that this DLC also added ziplines which add events and locations on maps so levels designers probably worked on it too.

Election Day was nice, especially since I think it is the only heist in the game that is balanced for the new stealth system (open spaces, multiple entry points), but even then Payday 2 is a pretty lackluster stealth game. There's nothing you can do regarding guards, I don't know how to put it in words but PD2's stealth is essentialy just a cat and mouse game. Guard patrols are random and unpredictable and you don't have any move set that allows you to dodge them. In a stealth game like Splinter Cell for example you can hang from ceilings or hide in furniture, use distractions or make some noise. In PD2 you can just run around while dodging guards that you can't influence in any way beside killing them.
For example, Election Day day 2. You hack voting machines and if a guard comes around and sees the machine being hacked, he calls the police. What I find frustating is that when you start hacking the machine you can't do anything, what happens next isn't in your hands anymore. If a guard decides to come check the box, the only solution you have is to kill him. Of course that sounds fair, just don't start hacking when there's guards around, however, you don't know when guards are going to be in 10 seconds. Their patrols aren't ... logical. If a guard leaves a room that he has been for 10 minutes, it's possible that he'll hang around in the middle of the next room for 3 seconds and then comes back to the same spot he was in earlier. I understand that having random guard patrols in the only way of keeping the game fresh no matter how much you play it but there's no point if the patrols doesn't make sense and you can't predict them a bit. A solution would be start hacking when guards are far enough from the crate so that they can't reach it in a reasonable amount of time but that hardly ever happens, there's too many of them. There was some moments where I really believed that Payday 2 was as much a stealth game as Pacman.

Also, I think this is the game that handles grinding in the worst way I've ever seen. Overkill keeps removing ways to get fast experience by tweaking heists or adding positive/negative boosts but at the same time there's only 3 heists that nets you reasonable amounts of XP past level 50-60 and that horrible horrible Crime.net system keeps proposing low pay, low xp heists in normal no matter your level. It'd be less of a pain in the ass if they tiered difficulty levels so that for example past level 70 you only get very hard/overkill/death wish heists. I mean obviously if you're level 70 and you want to play normal/hard you can just buy heists, they cost next to nothing on these difficulty levels.

I'll just come back when there's a new heist, with Killing Floor 2 being announced I think I'll be fine with coop games for a while.

Its barely playable on PS3. Its constantly freezing. Is there any fixes on the way?

Last update was 6 months ago or something on consoles, the next update will be when they release all the PC content to catch up and there's no date for now (something to do with Sony or MS or just Overkill who doesn't want to bother with consoles anymore, it's a mess). Take that as you will, if I were you I wouldn't expect anything soon and move on to another game while they sort this out.

EDIT : Last update was the 10/28/2013

SnakeEyes

Banned
Last update was 6 months ago or something on consoles, the next update will be when they release all the PC content to catch up and there's no date for now (something to do with Sony or MS or just Overkill who doesn't want to bother with consoles anymore, it's a mess). Take that as you will, if I were you I wouldn't expect anything soon and move on to another game while they sort this out.
EDIT : Last update was the 10/28/2013
Yeah, I had a quick look on the official site this afternoon and people on the forums there are still losing their shit daily about how the console versions have effectively been abandoned. No DLC packs bar one with some cash and items, and yet Payday 2 was profitable for StarBreeze and OverKill from Pre-orders alone!

Seems like they just took the cash, yelled "Yoink!" and ran off...

http://overkillsoftware.com/thedentist/

another DLC is coming

(community and breaking bad spoilers)
isn't that the same actor that plays the bad guy in BB and pierce's brother in community ?
it's probably going to be a loud and stealth heist so i'm glad about that
i just hope it's going to be high xp heists because there's isn't a lot of them

also, oldhox

Nander

another DLC is coming

isn't that the same actor that plays the bad guy in BB and pierce's brother in community ?

also, oldhox

It sure is! Giancarlo Esposito, a.k.a Gus Fring!
That's some pretty high-class casting by Overkill, for a video game trailer.

So, four new heists this year and a new planning mode? Maybe it's time for me to start playing Payday 2 again...

It sure is! Giancarlo Esposito, a.k.a Gus Fring!
That's some pretty high-class casting by Overkill, for a video game trailer.

So, four new heists this year and a new planning mode? Maybe it's time for me to start playing Payday 2 again...

Yup this new trailer looks great! I havent played the game for a while but when I popped back in the other day I sure have love the changes they have made over the time I stopped playing. Love this developer they keep on supporting their game and I especially love their model of how the host player has all the DLC then you too have access to it. Great job Overkill!

TheSeks

Eh, I wouldn't say
Gus
is a big deal. IIRC he'll do most any project for a moderate sum. Though there is
Breaking Bad
references in the game and achievement lists, IIRC. So it's an easter egg/nod to those references in this video.
Unless he's a player model/heist planning model a la the Elephant/Bain/etc, in game. In which case
OMG.

Also LOL at them finally giving the playerbase what they want with "Old Hox" maybe they'll let you finally switch between the two with new voiced lines from Old Hoxton later this year.

ArjanN

another DLC is coming

also, oldhox

Heh, that's a great trailer.

I should really give this game a shot.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces

another DLC is coming

also, oldhox

Man... maybe time to reinstall.

geetec

Neo Member
I was watching TheCriminalNetwork's stream the other day and The Big Bank heist looked pretty darn good. It looked and they even claimed that it was very difficult (I recall one of them also claiming to struggle a little even on the Normal difficulty). For stealth you HAVE to be in a party with a good communication otherwise it's not going to go end well. Big Bank isn't like these other heists where you can leave it to some max level random to do most of the work.

Another cool feature that stood out to me was the way you can choose the way you exit the mission. I guess this feature alone will make it enjoyable to runthrough more than once without feelin' like it's all just one big grind.

EDIT: Preplannin' looks awesome too!

TheSeks

Not sure if I dig the assets for Big Bank costing. I can see why (to match the other assets) but if I'm throwing two Ammo bags/Medic bags in the bank pre-planned, that starts to add up per run.

The masks are probably the first since the other Presidential masks and the "Hockey Heat" masks that I like. The FAL being in is also good.

Also cool to see that mods for the FAL will be tied to the achievements. That's at least better than LOL COURIER and LOL RNG.

Lkr

just bought it on sale the other day.

running on an i5 3570k stock and hd 7850 stock. when i put the resolution to 1080p, the game starts acting weird. even if i put all the settings on low, it happens. it feels like a stuttering issue but i'm not quite sure how to describe it, and it makes the game very unenjoyable to play. has anyone else experienced anything like this?

TheSeks

It's something to do with the post-processing effects, not your hardware. It's been an issue with numerous people. I don't know the exact fix, but if you look around you'll find mods to remove post-processing effects that should help you fix the stuttering.

From the song Drifting heard in the Dentist teaser and if I remember correctly the Armored Heist trailer :
http://overkillsoundtracks.bandcamp.com/track/drifting-single

You should not romanticize this outlaw life
When the scars have been shown and the tales have been told
I'm telling you - something's missing
Don't make no excuse to sing the blues
Calculating the cost and the things that you lost
You'll realize - love's gone missing
Don't go drifting

It was right here all along but we missed it god damn it, WE MISSED IT GODDAMNIT.
Payday 2 is actually meta. Don't you think it's weird that you're actually playing the bad guys and that the poles doesn't give a shit about civilians and launches assaults and shoots everywhere when we have prisoners still ? Don't you think it's weird that the characters in the game are made sympathetic while the police seem to be brainless drones with no respect for human life (tons of policemen are sent to die with shoddy tactics, THINK OF THE CHILDREN) ?
The game actually tells us that crime doesn't pay, even if you try really hard you'll spend countless hours for nothing : the grinding is done on purpose ! I am actually convinced now that Payday 2 is the greatest game ever made.

v17UQXl.png

#farcry3 #m night shalamandingdong #goty of the year

P.S : sorry.
P.S 2 : that song is good.

Picked this up during the sale a few days ago, and have been slowly getting to grips with it, and enjoying it.

That warehouse stealth mission is an utter bastard, though. Anyone got good stealth tips?

Picked this up during the sale a few days ago, and have been slowly getting to grips with it, and enjoying it.

That warehouse stealth mission is an utter bastard, though. Anyone got good stealth tips?

you can jump and then crouch mid air to keep your speed while having the stealth bonuses of being crouched
in the new maps (election day, shadow thingamajit) use the verticality of the level
you can throw bodies in the water if you have nowhere to hide them
if you're the host, locomotive + silencer, position yourself and blast balls at point blank range to have cadavers land in a good spot
the alarm delay of ecms is a great tool if you just finished objectives and want to wing it, you need to have a high lvl ghost with the skill unlocked though

haven't played stealth that much as you can see from my rant a bit up that page but that's what i picked up during my short time

garath

Still an active GAF community here? I just started playing thanks to the steam sale. Been loving it. Had a level 89 random guy show me some of the stealth ropes and managed to go from level 4 to 17 or something in two heists. Pretty awesome.

I liked it so much I bought all the discounted DLC today on encore.

voodooray

I picked this up during the sale and love it, especially the soundtrack. Reminds me a lot of Hitman, only in first person. I've been enjoying learning different heists, especially with stealthing.

BTW, can someone tell me what the little + and - characters mean on the crime.net screen? There's nothing listed for them under the Legend link:

EbPgPLj.png

Sometimes there are none, one, or many.

It's an xp bonus/penalty. It was put in place because people were farming Rats Proverkill by blowing up the kitchen day 1 and letting the gangsters burn the intel day 2 (you get the same xp than by playing normally).
So, they nerfed Rats (the van used to stay in place, now it leaves and then comes back after 3 minutes after you've got 3 bags or blown up the kitchen) and added this system. Basically if you complete a heist a couple of times in a row you get a minus and everytime you complete a heist missions you haven't played get a +. You can see the amount of bonus/penalty xp if you hover on the lobby.

I wish they had just bumped xp for other heists or revamped the xp system so that bonus cash=bonus xp which at least would've enticed people to get as much loot as possible during missions. Or you know, added heists with big XP payouts, atm the only 2 worthwhile heists are Rats and Firestarter so it's kinda normal for people to farm them, there's only 2 (I haven't looked at Big Bank). I have 180hrs in the game and I'm Infamy 2 level 50. There's supposed to be 14 infamy levels.
But then again it seems Overkill really wants us to get those by grinding.

TheSeks

i can see the unprecetended enthusiasm that this game gets here
just a heads up, they're releasing another weapon dlc (shotguns) :
http://www.overkillsoftware.com/gageshotgunpack/

the gamechanger though is the new ammunition types for shotties, finally some love for us enforcers around the world

Eh, the DAO is nice... but like most of the other non-heist content I have to question why this is paid-for content. :/ With the heists, I could understand given the time and effort that goes into those. Modeling new weapons doesn't seem like a huge monumental task like the Big Bank/Armored Transport to me.

Top Bottom