• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tecmo Koei expects 1 million sales from Hyrule Warriors

arit

Still can't believe this is actually happening…

The Zelda brand has insane potential and it could be used for so many amazing things.

Whoring the brand for reskined games based on garbage-tier franchises is just sad.

Well, Koei whored themselves out before with HnK, Gundam and Onepiece, so whats a Zelda in the great scheme of things?.

Griss

The Zelda brand has insane potential and it could be used for so many amazing things.

Whoring the brand for reskined games based on garbage-tier franchises is just sad.

Reads like a troll post but is exactly how I feel.

Terrell

So franchises you don't like are "garbage-tier". Gotcha.

Never bought a dw game before but I'll be buying this. I assume it's people like me tecmo are basing this on.

Kinda in the same boat, though I have bought a single Dynasty Warriors game and that was Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3

Which I only bought because I needed a Gundam game.

Wind Waker HD sold a million copies, and that's not counting the Wii U hardware bundle. Certainly feasible, I think.

Personally, I know lots of casual gamer friends who were super wowed by the Hyrule Warriors trailer.

Mory Dunz

Wind Waker HD sold a million copies, and that's not counting the Wii U hardware bundle. Certainly feasible, I think.

Personally, I know lots of casual gamer friends who were super wowed by the Hyrule Warriors trailer.
Wait, the 1.12 million number didn't include the bundle?

18-Volt

I still don't think Zelda Musou was a good idea. It could have been sold over 1 million if the game was Game of Thrones Musou and was on PS4/Xbox One.

Lunar15

I must admit, I carry a decent amount of salt about this. I just have bad experiences with musou and things I like (Gundam and One Piece)

bobawesome

It'll only sell that high because of desperation on the part of Wii U owners. I haven't touched the thing since beating Super Mario 3D World and won't have a reason to for the foreseeable future.

18-Volt

Yeah, Nintendo should fund that game...

Is Nintendo really funding the game? Yes it's a second party game but Nintendo might only be providing license and publishing. I don't think Koei needs any money to develop this game, this isn't a Bayo 2 situation. Nintendo published many Musou games in the past without funding them. I believe it's Koei who decided to use LoZ setting.

Silky

Banned

Reads like a troll post but is exactly how I feel.

"Whoring the brand."

G0RXKBk.png

Every time. I wonder if these are the same people who probably haven't played a Musou title since DW2 and claim to know all they need to about the series.

Reads like that thread that one moron made about Musou when he had no idea what he was talking about.

--

A Zelda themed game selling over a million? Hell if Link's Crossbow Training can sell more than two million within months of it's release frame, than I can easily see this making a million. It's a realistic sales goal.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Is Nintendo really funding the game? Yes it's a second party game but Nintendo might only be providing license and publishing. I don't think Koei needs any money to develop this game, this isn't a Bayo 2 situation. Nintendo published many Musou games in the past without funding them. I believe it's Koei who decided to use LoZ setting.

If you are publishing a game, then you are either funding its development or a establishing a purchase price for the publishing rights. In either case, Nintendo never publishes a game without being involved in the production. Especially its own IP.

Only exception is when they act as a distributor like for Ninja Gaiden 3.

It'll only sell that high because of desperation on the part of Wii U owners. I haven't touched the thing since beating Super Mario 3D World and won't have a reason to for the foreseeable future.
Sounds like a personal problem.

I've yet to have a period since like September where there's nothing to play.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Right, does anyone have sales numbers for the various Musou games?

Yup.

Sales are for Japan only with worldwide in brackets. Sales also include repeat copies. (e.g BEST edition). Sales for some games are shipped. Portable/PC versions are excluded. Just console sales shown here.

Dynasty Warriors Series

Dynasty Warriors 2 - 340,000 (Over 0.8m worldwide)
Dynasty Warriors 3 - 1,100,000 (Over 2m worldwide)
Dynasty Warriors 4 - 1,250,000 (Over 2m worldwide)
Dynasty Warriors 5 - 950,000 (Over 1.5m worldwide)
Dynasty Warriors 6 - 480,000 (Over 1.0m worldwide)
Dynasty Warriors 7 - 495,000 (Over 1.0m worldwide)
Dynasty Warriors 8 - 400,000

Samurai Warriors Series

Samurai Warriors 1 - 1,060,000 (Over 1.5m worldwide)
Samurai Warriors 2 - 600,000
Samurai Warriors 3 - 320,000
Samurai Warriors 3Z-350,000
Samurai Warriors 4 - 340,000 (Inc PSV version)

Warriors Orochi Series

Warriors Orochi 1 - 670,000 (Over 1.5m worldwide inc portable/PC)
Warriors Orochi 2 - 460,000
Warriors Orochi Z - 275,000
Warriors Orochi 3 - 430,000
WO3: Ult/hyper - 250,000 Inc PS3/PSV/Wii U

One Piece Pirate Musou

One Piece Pirate Musou 1 - 860,000 (Over 1.2m worldwide)
One Piece Pirate Musou 2 - 565,000

Fist of the North Star Series

Fist of the North Star 1 - 660,000
Fist of the North Star 2 - 350,000

Dynasty Warriors Gundam series

Dynasty Warriors Gundam 1 - 660,000 (Inc PS2 sales) (Over 1.0m worldwide)
Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2 - 675,000 (Inc PS2 sales) (Over 1.4m worldwide)
Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 - 420,000 (No PS2 version)
Dynasty Warriors Gundam R - ~350,000 (inc PSV version)

Wii/Wii U game sales for Japan

Samurai Warriors Katana - 35,000 (Wii)
Samurai Warriors 3 - 320,000 (Wii)
Samurai Warriors 3Z- 80,000 (Wii)
Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper - 35,000 (Wii U)
Fist of the North Star 2 (over 20k ish)

Skyward Sword - 380k+ (3.42m worldwide)
Wind Waker HD- 90k+ (1.22m worldwide)

My thoughts, well KOEI have never done exceptionally well with Musou games on Wii or Wii U. Wii U in particular has been terrible in Japan for KOEI.
So I think they'll be relying on the Zelda name in Japan and both the west to sell the game on Wii U where there isn't a huge warriors fanbase. Just look at Samurai Warriors 3 for example. On Wii it sold 280k with the re- release selling a further 40k to get to 320k. The PS3 re-release sold 350k which was 20k more than the original Wii version. So like I said, musou struggles on Nintendo hardware and always has.

Zelda is going to sell this game. 1 million is not unachievable based on Legend of Zelda sales on Nintendo platforms. But it's not going to be easy. Nintendo need to market this in the west a lot.

cybroxide

I'm a diehard Zelda fan but I really don't think I'll be buying Hyrule Warriors unless it's something truly amazing. The Dynasty Warriors is a great franchise but it's just not for me. I really wish Nintendo well with this endeavor. I wish even more that they moved the Zelda franchise into a genre I enjoy like RTS. That would have been awesome.

Yup.

Sales are for Japan only with worldwide in brackets. Sales also include repeat copies. (e.g BEST edition). Sales for some games are shipped. Portable/PC versions are excluded. Just console sales shown here.

Dynasty Warriors Series

Samurai Warriors Series

Samurai Warriors 4 - 340,000

Warriors Orochi Series

One Piece Pirate Musou

Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper - 35,000

Link to source?

DW7 selling 500k in the West is surprising.

Silky

Banned
Yup.

Dynasty Warriors Series

Samurai Warriors Series

Samurai Warriors 4 - 340,000

Warriors Orochi Series

One Piece Pirate Musou

Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper - 35,000

Anything on the Gundam Musou series?

mrpeabody

A million is ambitious. Zelda fans like Zelda games and this isn't a Zelda game, it's a Musou game with a Zelda skin. Musou fans might buy it if it's really good, but they don't own Wii U's, and they have plenty of real Musous to keep them busy on the Playstation.

Other hurdles include the footage they've released so far -- which was hot garbage -- and the likely lack of marketing. I just don't see this selling better than something like WWHD.

Sandfox

A million is ambitious. Zelda fans like Zelda games and this isn't a Zelda game, it's a Musou game with a Zelda skin. Musou fans might buy it if it's really good, but they don't own Wii U's, and they have plenty of real Musous to keep them busy on the Playstation.

Other hurdles include the footage they've released so far -- which was hot garbage -- and the likely lack of marketing. I just don't see this selling better than something like WWHD.

I'm sure they would be happy if it sold like WWHD lol.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Link to source?

DW7 selling 500k in the West is surprising.

I have too many sources to list of all of them here haha.

Game sales are from a mixture of Famitsu, Media Create, Dengeki, official KOEI shipment figures, various sales reports + what Koei have told me

How would selling a million copies make it the second best selling game?

300k in the US is what the poster is talking about.

Games that have sold 300k+ in the US on WiiU:

SM3D world
WWHD (bundled)

Its definitely not going to do 300k in JP. Skyward Sword just about sold 300k and Warriors O3 did like 30k.

EU is WiiU's weakest market so its not going to make up sales there either.

300k in the US is what the poster is talking about.

Games that have sold 300k+ in the US on WiiU:

SM3D world
WWHD (bundled)

Its definitely not going to do 300k in JP. Skyward Sword just about sold 300k and Warriors O3 did like 30k.

EU is WiiU's weakest market so its not going to make up sales there either.

I find it kinda hard to believe without sources that NSMBU and Nintendo Land haven't sold that many.

Top Bottom