• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tecmo Koei expects 1 million sales from Hyrule Warriors

Schnozberry

If the game reviews well and the gameplay is solid I could see it doing a million. That has to be the very top end of expectations though.

About 5-6 Million Wii U sold.
Dynasty Warriors game normally don't review too hot or sell too hot overseas...

Asking 1/5-1/6 of the userbase to buy the game is kind of a big order.

This is with the current userbase, but with Mario Kart and it's bundle and E3 about to hit, I would be pretty surprised if Wii doesn't gain an additional million or two.

FLAguy954

good_luck_morgan_freeman.gif

Gamerloid

I'd be surprised if this didn't sale over 2 million.

If it's a solid game in the world of Zelda, I can't see people overlooking this. It'd have to be pretty bad to miss it's sales target.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Yeah like the average fps or rail shooter was selling more than 2 million on the Wii...

How many copies did Wii Play "sell"? You really think the Wii gun accessory sold two million copies because of a Zelda themed target practice game? Get real.

Minions

This is with the current userbase, but with Mario Kart and it's bundle and E3 about to hit, I would be pretty surprised if Wii doesn't gain an additional million or two.

I don't think anything is going to change. Last month the Wii U sold like 50k consoles in the USA. (At least I think that was the number in the NPD thread) I just don't see it gaining that much ground.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I could see it coming close if it did a 300k spread across Japan, US and Europe.

I'm expecting closing to 500k total though.

It's an interesting experiment, at least.

Can an established global license push a Musou-style game to a million seller?

Three Kingdoms, Warring States and Mobile Suit Gundam are all properties that don't hold the same amount of preference in the western markets compared to the Asian markets. It'd be interesting to see if Zelda can buck it.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Yea apparently Wii Party U has too. This has a list of the best selling Wii U software in the last fiscal year: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2014/140508e.pdf

I have no idea if this game will actually sell that much though. I'll buy it but I was also one of the few that bought W101.

You guys are confusing sell in and sell thru again.

This game will sell in 1mm units WW, I.e. tecmo koei will sell at least 1mm units to its costumers. However, I was responding to the poster who said the game would have to sell 300k through to consumers in every territory to hit that number - which I do not think it is likely to do.

Costumers and consumers are different.
No nonmario has sold thru 300k units per SKU in the US, so unless Mario kart reverses that trend in may, it'd gonna be s tough to hit that posters goals

Terrell

It's an interesting experiment, at least.

Can an established global license push a Musou-style game to a million seller?

Three Kingdoms, Warring States and Mobile Suit Gundam are all properties that don't hold the same amount of preference in the western markets compared to the Asian markets. It'd be interesting to see if Zelda can buck it.

Pokemon was able to do that with Nobunaga's Ambition of all things, if I'm not mistaken. If it can do that, anything is possible, and is likely part of how Tecmo Koei came up with that estimation.

nbthedude

I still can't believe Nintendo is whoring out the Zelda license this way. Not only in terms of the bland gameplay they are attaching it to but also the murder hundreds of people at once on a combat field seems totally alien to their image and sensibilities.

I still can't believe Nintendo is whoring out the Zelda license this way. Not only in terms of the bland gameplay they are attaching it to but also the murder hundreds of people at once on a combat field seems totally alien to their image and sensibilities.

It looks more fun than what Zelda has been offering for awhile now. People comparing it in this thread to Link's Crossbow Training, a glorified tech demo, is hilarious.

Some of you act like Zelda games have the best gameplay in the world. I mean, come on.

It's good to shake up the Aonuma formula with a one off game like this.

If people just abhor musou games, I understand. It's clear this is a one off title and not WiiU's official Zelda entry.

Terrell

I have to wonder if you even watched the trailer for its announcement where Link was the only "human" character in it, since one could argue that Moblins and most Zelda enemies aren't even close to being considered people.

super mario 3d world sold 2.17m units.

Oh my bad. I thought it was just under in that last report. Still that's a game with a huge presence and mindshare which was almost universally hyped and beloved and it just got over. Thinking Hyrule Warriors will sell as well seems a little crazy with the divisive nature of the Warriors games.

Super Mario 3D World hasn't even hit over 2 million

The Wonderful 101 is saddder

3D World has EAD Tokyo legs it will continue to sell little by little evenwhen not on fire

I will buy this game but I don't really expect it to be good, I don't even like how it looks

just allow me to play as Zelda, and Ganon and I am in. I expect it so I am buying

AniHawk

Oh my bad. I thought it was just under in that last report. Still that's a game with a huge presence and mindshare which was almost universally hyped and beloved and it just got over. Thinking Hyrule Warriors will sell as well seems a little crazy with the divisive nature of the Warriors games.

new super luigi u was at 1.76m units. that might be what you were thinking about.

Fully expect it to simply because 1) its Zelda. 2) its a first party title on a nintendo console. 3) Like there is anything else for Wii U owners to buy.

Seriously those three things alone kinda make it easy to believe. If Wii U is just a first party franchise machine at this point slapping Zelda on it, third party made or not, will guarantee it a primo release date with no competition around it.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Fully expect it to simply because 1) its Zelda. 2) its a first party title on a nintendo console. 3) Like there is anything else for Wii U owners to buy.

Seriously those three things alone kinda make it easy to believe. If Wii U is just a first party franchise machine at this point slapping Zelda on it, third party made or not, will guarantee it a primo release date with no competition around it.

Not in Japan though. Over here people dont exactly give a shit about Zelda. For whatever reason the West the series gets a lot more love.

Eusis

Zelda is going to sell this game. 1 million is not unachievable based on Legend of Zelda sales on Nintendo platforms. But it's not going to be easy. Nintendo need to market this in the west a lot.
Yeah, this the post I had wanted to see.

I think it may be doable, it depends really on whether Musou fans have a Wii U and are just getting the games elsewhere and/or if Zelda will bring in enough people and possibly be the ultimate assurance they aren't seeing it elsewhere, and thus buy on Wii U afterall.

It would be unusual for Nintendo to not be at least supervising the work relatively closely.

Yeah, I expect them to at the least be supervising the use of their IP - "no, link doesn't disembowel his enemy and quaff from their head"

Just wondering if they're doing any work on the game itself - design/programming, etc

that i did lol. I changed it because i mispelled (still probably wrong) but also wanted to add my piece as well.

I had to look up Lu Bu because I am new to the warriors series I do have it for my Wii U but I did not know about the Lu Bu thing but googled it and Lu Bu is a thing his name is Lu Bu and Koei does show up for searching Lu Bu

Blastoise

Banned
It depends on how big they make Link's face on the cover.

Tecmo Koei is definitely going to get some of that Zelda run off...

Top Bottom