• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tecmo Koei expects 1 million sales from Hyrule Warriors

yeah becauase we zelda fans don't know the difference between a spin-off, outsourced, B-tier game done in one year and a mainline, AAA game made by EAD over the course of 5 or 6 years.

When has this ever happened? It's always been 2-3 years of active game development, tops.

4.8M

More than Skyward Sword

We don't know that. Actually, it's strange that we don't know the sales of Skyward Sword.

The game sold a million in its first week. 3,4 million in its first month.

It's been an additional two and a half years since then. It's most likely well over 4 million.

Edit: Woah, beaten! That's what I get for leaving the tab open for so long.

TreIII

You guys saying Dynasty Warriors is niche, you do realize the musou games are huge in Japan, even bigger than Zelda over there?

One million worldwide seems reasonable, if they get get JP customers to buy a wii u for this.

Well, in Japan, that'll be Koei's task to make happen, since they're actually handling publishing duties for Zelda Musou in that territory.

I'm hoping I can at least get a nice Treasure Box type of thing out of the deal.

ZhugeEX

Banned
You guys saying Dynasty Warriors is niche, you do realize the musou games are huge in Japan, even bigger than Zelda over there?

One million worldwide seems reasonable, if they get get JP customers to buy a wii u for this.

It'd certainly be possible on PS3 or something like that.

But this is releasing on Wii U where the warriors fanbase is not there. Samurai Warriors struggled on the Wii and all of Koei's Wii U Musou games flopped badly. So it'll be mostly Zelda fans buying this game in Japan as well.

I'd be surprised if the game sells over 100k in Japan during the first month.

You guys are confusing sell in and sell thru again.

This game will sell in 1mm units WW, I.e. tecmo koei will sell at least 1mm units to its costumers. However, I was responding to the poster who said the game would have to sell 300k through to consumers in every territory to hit that number - which I do not think it is likely to do.

Costumers and consumers are different.
No nonmario has sold thru 300k units per SKU in the US, so unless Mario kart reverses that trend in may, it'd gonna be s tough to hit that posters goals

"Costumers" is a very strange market for this game to be focused towards

On topic though, 1 in 6 people buying a warriors game seems like quite the goal.

if it comes out around ANY other big title I dont see that happening, at least not for a while

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
"Costumers" is a very strange market for this game to be focused towards

On topic though, 1 in 6 people buying a warriors game seems like quite the goal.

if it comes out around ANY other big title I dont see that happening, at least not for a while

in this thread, John Harker mistakes customers and cosplayers.

But really, they look the same in a lot of cases don't they!

Shauni

It's been said, but if a HD remake of a Zelda game can reach 1 million+ in a relatively short time, I just don't see why expecting that out of this is so huge for some people. I understand it's a different type of game, but that should show that the brand has some selling power. Maybe not as much as other IPs, but still some.

mrpeabody

How dumb do you have to be to make a Zelda spinoff game and not put "Zelda" in the title? Just call it "Legend of Zelda: Warriors" and you sell an extra 100k right there.

"Hyrule Warriors". Jesus.

How dumb do you have to be to make a Zelda spinoff game and not put "Zelda" in the title? Just call it "Legend of Zelda: Warriors" and you sell an extra 100k right there.

"Hyrule Warriors". Jesus.

Must have missed where they have said on numerous occasions that the title isn't final... including the reveal trailer.

DrWong

18-hyrule-warriors-2.jpg

Like most people, I'm only interested in this game because it's based on Zelda. :p
They can probably expect a sell from me. However, I don't know how that'll translate to the market at large.
Wind Waker HD sold pretty well in a short amount of time, so I can see it feeding off the goodwill from that release and the inevitable hype Zelda U will bring at E3.

Rikkun

I think 1M is doable.
Even more if Nintendo makes it connect somehow with some past-future Zelda timeline, fans will buy. Maybe not at day one, but it could reach the spot in a couple months.

TreIII

Zelda is going to be somewhere on the box. I really don't think it's even a question.

Of course it will. Even if they go the simplest route possible and call it "The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Warriors", that'd still would be enough to insure the name association.

Though, I'd hope they would at least be a bit more imaginative with the name. Even "Warriors of Hyrule" sounds better, to me.

Nia

I'll contribute to one of those sales, if they have a good roster of other playable Zelda characters. I hope we get clarification on that during the Digital Event.

Mr_Moogle

Jim Sterling would probably go for this. Doesn't he have a raging hard on for Dynasty Warriors?

Also the screens of this game look terrible.

Fbh

Well from what I know the franchise is really popular in japan and gets decent sales in the west (at least I guess so, which is why they keep localizing them).

If you combine that with the popularity of zelda and the fact that there isn't a whole lot else to buy on the system I can see this getting to 1 million

Top Bottom