• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 8: Put mii in, coach

No lie, one of the things I'm most excited to see at E3 is the UI.

Me too, Sakurai UIs are always a blast.
Characters are an after thought to me, after Mac got confirmed I was happy (Mewtwo would be icing on the cake though).
I'm way more interested in seeing the UI and maybe some new game modes we don't know about! I want to see what awaits in that 3DS version.

I just want a vertical layout with the player boxes 1 and 2 on the left, and 3 and 4 on the right. Then, a giant vertical setup of all the characters.

Edit: This is what I made for myself in Project M (sort of).

6Qw5Icq.png

I sorta like this. Very reminiscent of Soul Caliber. Random slot would need to be in the middle though.

**PIC**
Previous E3 countdown images: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=113180848&postcount=101

Pokémon and Zelda are the only franchises in my roster that have more than 5 characters (with 6 each) There were already 6 Pokémon characters in Brawl (if you count Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard separately), plus Mewtwo and Plusle & Minun were planned... I don't think 6 Pokémon characters is too much at all. And likewise, I don't think 6 characters is too much for The Legend of Zelda, either. Mario, Pokémon, and The Legend of Zelda are Nintendo's big three. The Mario franchise already kind of has more than 5 characters anyway if you count the related franchises like Donkey Kong, Yoshi, and Wario.

I'm hoping for 6 pokemon for the fact that having 6 pokemon in your party has been a pokemon staple from the beginning. It just feels right. Mewtwo and Jigglypuff are the two obvious choices but I'm still thinking theres a small chance that (Mega) Sceptile could get representation because of fire/grass/water trifecta and OR/AS coming out soon, it's obviously been in planning for awhile. Again I have to reiterate small chance.

Ryce

WOAH! I didn't know that. Source? I just want to read the details for myself.
Eh, I sort of misremembered the original quote (it has been six years). The shockwave wasn't so much as planned as merely considered.

http://www.geocities.jp/bgrtype/gsl/words2/dairantosmabrax/smashbrothersx.html (taken from the Ike paragraph)
In the original game, there are situations where you can attack the enemy from afar with a shockwave, but that doesn't really fit with the image I've constructed of Ike in Smash Bros.
I suppose Sakurai designed Ike as a close range heavy hitter, and he thinks giving Ike a projectile would mess with that vision.

Spux666

Banned
Alright here we go. Finally found an appropriate thread to post this.

E3 NINTENDO / SMASH PREDICTION! (more like wet dream....)

1. Flashy new smash bros trailer begins
2. Captain falcon races in from off screen (Announced!)
3. Trailer continues....Arwing flys into the battle field....Falco emerges! (Announced!)
4. Both characters flee the trailer....transition into NEW F - ZERO TRAILER!
5. Falco transitions into NEW STAR FOX TRAILER!
6. Everything comes together in the end for a WHAM smash bros title, WHAM F-Zero UX, WHAM Star Fox (something or other)....
7. ...and finally.....WHAM Year of the Falcon!

A man can dream damnit!

Ha, how the hell could they justify powering him up? I have K.Od medium weight characters at 40% with c-sticked f smashes on many occasions.

Anything more and he will be encroaching on Little Mac territory.
Well, I don't think they're going to, but his new character design is really emphasizing that this guy is hella strong.

J-Tier

Would actually be a neat graphic design assignment for students. Give them all the renders, and have them arrange them in a crowd that looks aesthetically pleasing, without mirroring or distorting the images. Only scaling the size is allowed. Actually sounds like something I should do at some point...

Eh, I sort of misremembered the original quote (it has been six years). The shockwave wasn't so much as planned as merely considered.

http://www.geocities.jp/bgrtype/gsl/words2/dairantosmabrax/smashbrothersx.html (taken from the Ike paragraph)

I suppose Sakurai designed Ike as a close range heavy hitter, and he thinks giving Ike a projectile would mess with that vision.

"The "PictoChat" is bullshit (laughs). What better to make if I'm not a suitable at all! It is natural, but
such lines of graffiti that even because it is all polygon."

Thanks google translate

RomanceDawn

Roster is getting unweildy lol. Hard to do crowd pics aesthetically.

Every time I see this picture grow I just have to say wow. Nintendo's all star cast is incredibly varied and pleasing to the eye. Even if you knew nothing about Nintendo and picked up Smash, seeing all those characters at once you know there are going to be some outrageous move sets and play styles between them. There really is nothing comparable. I guess Jump Smash clone comes close.

Actually I think you were right the first time as well. I distinctly remember another statement from Sakurai saying a projectile from him could deem him too powerful or something to that affect.

Alright here we go. Finally found an appropriate thread to post this.

E3 NINTENDO / SMASH PREDICTION! (more like wet dream....)

1. Flashy new smash bros trailer begins
2. Captain falcon races in from off screen (Announced!)
3. Trailer continues....Arwing flys into the battle field....Falco emerges! (Announced!)
4. Both characters flee the trailer....transition into NEW F - ZERO TRAILER!
5. Falco transitions into NEW STAR FOX TRAILER!
6. Everything comes together in the end for a WHAM smash bros title, WHAM F-Zero UX, WHAM Star Fox (something or other)....
7. ...and finally.....WHAM Year of the Falcon!

A man can dream damnit!
So you're big hopes for E3 Character reveals are two characters practically guaranteed not to be cut? Seriously?

Ryce

An interesting note: if Chrom is indeed playable, then every Fire Emblem game released in the last nine years will be represented with a character:

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (2005) - Ike
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (2007) - Ike
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon (2008) - Marth
Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem (2010) - Marth
Fire Emblem Awakening (2012) - Chrom

Every console generation will also be represented (with the exception of N64):

NES - Marth
SNES/GB - Marth
N64/GBC
GCN/GBA - Ike
Wii/DS - Ike, Marth
Wii U/3DS - Chrom

An interesting note: if Chrom is indeed playable, then every Fire Emblem game released in the last nine years will be represented with a character:

Every console generation with a Fire Emblem game will also be represented:

NES - Marth
SNES/GB - Marth
GCN/GBA - Ike
Wii/DS - Ike, Marth
Wii U/3DS - Chrom

fixed, there was never a Fire Emblem game on the Nintendo 64 so that doesn't really count

Every console generation will also be represented (with the exception of N64):

NES - Marth
SNES/GB - Marth
N64/GBC
GCN/GBA - Ike
Wii/DS - Ike, Marth
Wii U/3DS - Chrom

It doesn't have to be Chrom but that's a cool bit of information.

I would rather see Robin or Chrom/Robin or Chrom/Lucina pairup myself but if it has to be Chrom by himself it would be a missed opportunity to not have other units as part of his movepool.

I wonder how likely the latter would be since the game is also on 3DS.

Maybe they could have the units move at 30fps like A.Ts/pokeball pokemon. That might be weird and unbalanced since it'd be part of Chrom's movepool. Hmm

DaBoss

Zelda and her Phantom Slash

So we know that this move replaced the (now non-existent) transformation move. It can be used to attack characters and defend yourself. It requires you to charge the move if you want to make it go further. Let's talk about defense first.

Defensive use

So it is shown it can be used to stop projectiles. It probably won't be destroyed by projectiles with no hitstun (i.e. Fox's blaster), though it would be silly if it can be destroyed by something like Mario's fireball. I'm guessing there could be some sort of damage threshold before it is destroyed when using it defensively (Samus' Charge Shot is pretty powerful).

I doubt it is going to be useful to use it defensively outside of long-range moves.

Now to its offensive uses.

Offensive use
There seems to be two ways the phantom itself attacks and it seems to depend on how long you charge it. The first few GIFs/WebMs are for the short/no charge.

The 1st and 3rd GIF are slowed down (1/2 speed) to show the phantom coming out clearly and the 2nd GIF is just a normal version of the 1st GIF to see the attack in normal speed.

The phantom seems to go about the same distance in both clips, though it is hard to tell.

The phantom does a quick slash that seems to be different depending on the direction its facing. You can see the 1st of the two clips slashing from the top-left to the bottom-right and the 2nd slashing from the bottom-left to the top-right. It doesn't seem like it will be powerful.

Now its charged variant.

This one attacks much differently. It is a two-hit move. It comes out with the sword pointing at the direction it is facing ready to stab the opponent. If the attack reaches opponent, it stabs the opponent and then swings its sword upwards for the second hit and sends the opponent flying. Seems to have some good knockback, though it isn't shown how much damage Fox is at. The attack would be easy to react to if used in a long distance.

Though the next two clips show it being reflected it closely lol.

So yea, it can be reflected. They also show Zelda being knocked back a good distance.

Something to note about Villager is that he slides backwards when using Pocket on the phantom. We haven't seen it happen with any other move that he used Pocket on.

A few things we don't know:
- Can it be sent off stage?
- Can you charge the move in the air?
- If you can charge it in the air, can it be launched from the air?

We'll find out if someone tries all of that out in the demo lol.

It seems to be an interesting move.

georly

A few things we don't know:
- Can it be sent off stage?
- Can you charge the move in the air?
- If you can charge it in the air, can it be launched from the air?

We'll find out if someone tries all of that out in the demo lol.

Someone needs to compile a list of questions we need answered at E3. These are 3 of them, along with villager tree mechanics (what happens when you use down B away from tree? etc)

Anbec7

Someone needs to compile a list of questions we need answered at E3. These are 3 of them, along with villager tree mechanics (what happens when you use down B away from tree? etc)

Someone should make a list lol
Who from SmashGAF is going to try the Demo?
Damn you Americans! LOL I wish they would do something like that here :(

RomanceDawn

Phantom Slash has me hyped for this game and I won't even use Zelda. Glad for her fans though.

It seems to me the Phantom Slash only has one attack. If it misses the phantom will only do one swing of the sword. If it connects it will swing horizontally and then vertically.

DaBoss

Phantom Slash has me hyped for this game and I won't even use Zelda. Glad for her fans though.

It seems to me the Phantom Slash only has one attack. If it misses the phantom will only do one swing of the sword. If it connects it will swing horizontally and then vertically.
Look at the initial lunge by the phantom during the charged attacks and non/no charge attacks.

Most important question:
What do Kirby's new hats look like?

Kirby with a Greninja hat better just be Kirby with tongue-scarf. It will be the stuff of nightmares.

Other than that, I expect boxer shorts kirby, wand kirby, t-shirt kirby, blue helmet kirby, and yoga pants kirby (with or without color loss on upper half).

RomanceDawn

Look at the initial lunge by the phantom during the charged attacks and non/no charge attacks.

Oh yeah you're right. One of them is like a jousting lunge huh? I guess this move will have more utility than I thought. Good eye, I'll pay more attention next time.

I hope to dog that even if the Zelda characters make up their own Lorule tier that they are all viable regardless.

Someone should make a list lol
Who from SmashGAF is going to try the Demo?
Damn you Americans! LOL I wish they would do something like that here :(

I'll go

Basically I'm going just to play Smash.... so feel free to give me some questions to me, whoever is attending E3 and the Best Buy demos :D

Top Bottom