• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 8: Put mii in, coach

Cant wait for the complete roster. Will make an awesome wallpaper.

Sakurai should take it and make an cathedral stage that the mosaics change depending on the characters on stage.

That would be amazing!

Not sure if old news but I randomly saw Walmart.com has Smash Bros Wii U and appears to show the game cover plus a release date of 09/01/14. Someone else can make a thread if it makes any sense to do so. Sept 1st is a Monday though so not sure if it makes sense anyway for a Nintendo game.

They probably heard "Q4" and just put up the most optimistic date within that window.

woodland

I like how you talk as if balance patches are always good and do nothing but help a game. Many times balance patches are not in fact good or can greatly negatively affect a character in ways that the devs did not intend to happen or worst break the game more rather than fix it. Sometimes patches need to be rolled back. In fact there's a champ in League who the devs felt was too strong in laning, Heimerdinger, so what was their solution? Make him utterly useless exception in a very specific instance of the game and they left him like this for years despite his fanbase pleading with them to fix him. They refused. Why? Because he wasn't as popular as other champs so nope, not fixing him. It wasn't until very recently he was made viable again and gave him a facelift.

So no in fact balance patches are not always a good thing. I do not want to see them in Smash and I do not trust a company that isn't known for doing them to not gum it up and I certainly don't trust the competitive scene's suggestions either.

I didn't see this last night (was out) and just following up this morning.

What you gave was an example of poor balancing and it's something that League's been known for for ages. They release a hero that's ridiculously strong, and nerf him two weeks later. Or a heroes been trending, and they nerf the shit out of him. Just because that's poor balancing doesn't mean that that's all balancing, and judging by Sakurai's tendencies I feel like he would obsess over it and tweak it little by little. Examples of this are Dota patches - a spell cost gets buffed by 5 mana and nothing happens, 10 mana and still nothing happens. Balancing takes time and isn't always a thing.

You have this paranoia that the competitive scene is out to ruin smash and from what I've seen, the one's that are logical and make good suggestions are completely the opposite of that. They want to keep the game alive and give it longevity, while making it more balanced for everyone, which everyone benefits from. There are assholes in every community, just because SmashGAF has been highlighting the ones on Smashboards lately doesn't mean they're any worse than non-competitive assholes.

But whatever, I'm clearly not going to change your mind by showing you that Dota, StarCraft 1 & 2, Halo, League, and other games have been kept alive for years with brilliant base gameplay that is renewed thanks to balance patches. Without patches each of those games would've died in a period where someone was too strong but whatevs.

edit; didn't realize there was a new thread. Sorry^^

BqArxvyCcAEQ6IO.png

Wow, this thread though; where to begin? Ah, I played S.S.B.4 in both of it's incarnations on both SmashFests in Buckhead (Atl)

I got a ton of footage of me, my friends and random people playing, usually both 2 2min matches, despite nintendo reps being a pain.

3DS version is gloriously buttery smooth and smash run is really fun. Fuck those Stalfos & their uber shields. Shiek felt incredible, especially her jabs & down B which K.Os mid to high percent. (Yoshi) The game just felt so polished & I lucked out and got a stock battle at the end of the run.

Wii U: At first it was incredibly awkward b.c. of a lack of controller customization and I couldn't hit B to save my life so I S.Dd a lot with Marth. His dancing blade is melee style again so that threw me too. Little Mac is sick as fuck. He hits so hard and can recover horizontally w/ his Side B, yay! On Sat I NAILED my friend's Fox w/ the K.O. punch. (He was at 18% & didn't die b.t.w.) Greninja was akward timing wise but very fast and agile. His shadow sneak side b is hard to land at first and his neutral b is extremely satisfying and since you have to charge for multi hit and there's a lot of start lag, it's well balanced to boot.

That's it but will post more if I think of anything. Getting these videos uploaded gonna be a chore at 3 megs. Anyone have suggestions on easiest way to get them to you guys?

(I.L.T.T.P: Green bowser alt is my fav color I've seen from the demo so far.

Didn't notice the green alt being a reference to the o.g. bowser, turn up!

Super Saiyan Bowser though? that's a wrap.)

Top Bottom