• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

While we're on the subject of death screams.
Sega borrowed a couple for the original Golden Axe.

In Rambo First Blood there's a scene where Mitch (David Caruso) gets caught in a trap. His scream was used in Golden Axe as one of the random enemy death screams.

From the movie Conan the Barbarian the other most notable scream comes from Thorgrim(Sven-Ole Thorsen) when he falls into Conan's trap and is stabbed through the chest.
You can hear both screams in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gOKT5KHsuI

Mitch's scream is from the second enemy killed and Thorgrim's can be heard at about 3:20(those two big barbarian dudes)

And yes Capcom/SNK get most of their fighting game characters from various movies/anime/manga/whatever but Angel from King of Fighters 01/02 is an interesting case.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9aS7inJ6lo&feature=related
She seems to be a fan of The Rock.

K' Dash

manueldelalas said:
I never heard of reflecting Ganondorfs attacks with an empty bottle though...

batbeg said:
I want a video.

That's crazy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYhkBA7VeoY&feature=related

:D

Ganondorf defeated, diferences between versions:

vi2r2d.jpg

vi2uyd.jpg

Original Fire Temple Music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDcQVzu_kc8

K' Dash said:
You can reflect Ganondorf attacks with an empty bottle in OoT.

Also there's a verson with different music in the fire temple and Ganondorf spitting red blood whe you defeat him, I believe the red blood thing is from the first copies of the game, then changed it to green.
They changed it? It's red in my copy.

Linkhero1

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned or not but in Mario Kart DS when you get three red shells or three green shells spinning around you, that noise sounds similar to the noise you hear when you have low health in Super Metroid. Or at least to me it does :p

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
ckohler said:
The Super Nintendo fighting game known as "Street Combat" was actually a terrible Americanization of a real Ranma 1/2 fighting game from Japan called "Ranma 1/2: Chounai Gekitou Hen".
You know... given that the actual gameplay wasn't changed at all... was it really a "terrible Americanization"? I mean, at the very least they got rid of the sex-changing protagonist...

In Shadow The Hedgehog there are these hoverboards you can ride on in certain stages. You can jump while on these things and the sound effect is ripped directly from Mickey Mouse and the Castle of Illusion(when Mickey grabs a powerup).

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Talladega Knight said:
Isn't this widely known?

Shh! He may have just found out himself.

About the Perfect Dark logo thing...is the N actually behind the logo anywhere in PD:Z or in any marketing materials? I never bothered to look...

daCuk said:
Riki-Oh manga absolutely rules.

http://www.dra-mata.com/manga/rikioh/rikioh-naziheadgames.jpg[img]

But the movie is something so apocalyptically awful, is just short of nuclear meltdown.

[url]http://www.cinema-suicide.com/2007/07/19/strangling-with-intestines-riki-oh-story-of-ricky/[/url][/QUOTE]
What?! Riki-Oh's movie one of the best Hong Kong made B-movie gore fest yet! And pretty faithfull to the manga.

I have no idea whether or not this was intentional, but the yellow dragonfly enemy that appears in the intro for Banjo Kazooie looks suspiciously similar to Sparx, the dragonfly that assists Spyro the Dragon.

sparx02gv5.jpg
sparx01yj6.jpg

Markster

ckohler said:
The Super Nintendo fighting game known as "Street Combat" was actually a terrible Americanization of a real Ranma 1/2 fighting game from Japan called "Ranma 1/2: Chounai Gekitou Hen".
I've gotta say, I like the americanized one better.

It's got hoverboards!

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
ruby_onix said:
There is nothing special or weird about the pic.

Someone mentioned that his mind was blown when he realized that the Biggoron Sword was made by a "Big Goron" (who was shockingly named "Biggoron"), and then one of the freshly mind-blown people posted a pic of Biggoron that came up as the first result on Google Image Search, and explained that he had never "seen it" (the connection between his name and what he is) before. There's really nothing deeper to find in there, except that it's a pic of the wrong Biggoron from the wrong game.

Well the map in the bottom right hand corner looks kinda like a sperm

Keith Stack said:
I have no idea whether or not this was intentional, but the yellow dragonfly enemy that appears in the intro for Banjo Kazooie looks suspiciously similar to Sparx, the dragonfly that assists Spyro the Dragon.

sparx02gv5.jpg
sparx01yj6.jpg
But...Banjo-Kazooie came out before Spyro the Dragon.

grap3fruitman said:
Gargantua_koopa.PNG

Koopa means "poop" in Polish. You could imagine my confusion as a non-English speaking child playing Mario. I'm not sure about the spelling but it's pronounced exactly the same.

Goomba is very close to "gomba", which is Hungarian for "mushroom". Wonder why they pulled enemy names from eastern european languages?

Open Source said:
Goomba is very close to "gomba", which is Hungarian for "mushroom". Wonder why they pulled enemy names from eastern european languages?

I always thought Goomba came more from the slang (derogatory?) word for Italian-Americans than anything, but that's a very interesting connection and makes me wonder if it was intentional.

Ydahs

Jiguryo said:
Not game-related, but some subliminal message freaks swear to God that the flipped Coca-Cola logo says "alo Diabo" ("hello Devil" in Portuguese).

mspub4.gif

I love this kind of stuff, haha :p

There's many variations, including this one:

nococacola.jpg

Do I still drink Coke? Yes I do (wait, no I'm on a diet...).

I see it as just being a coincidence.

Cheerilee

Open Source said:
I thought Koopa was supposed to be a variation on Kappa, a Japanese kind of turtle-demon.

Dolphin

Banned
Ydahs said:
There's many variations, including this one:

nococacola.jpg

Do I still drink Coke? Yes I do (wait, no I'm on a diet...).

I see it as just being a coincidence.
The second word ends with a Miim not an 'Ayn, which would be Mukkam not Mukkah.

You guys are all off, the Coca-Cola logo is a guy snorting cocaine.
snortjw9.jpg

Also, Sonic had the Steve Urkel voice in not one, but three of the Sonic cartoons: Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic the Hedgehog (aka SatAM), and Sonic Underground (where Jaleel White also voiced Sonic's brother and sister, Manic and Sonia).

Morrowind has a good few cool little secrets, not sure if any are worthy of mind-blowing status though :p

There are various references to Pokemon in Morrowind - namely, a skeleton called 'Peke Utchoo', a 6th house base section named 'Marowak's Spine', a Dwemer ruins section named 'Weepingbell Hall' and a burial cavern section named 'Kakuna Burial'.

Theres a plant in Vivec named 'Charles the Plant' in reference to Chuck the Plant from various Lucas Arts adventure games, Charles gives the player the ingredient 'Meteor Slime' in referrence to Manic Mansion.

Furthermore, there is a NPC named M'aiq the Liar who dispenses useless advice on things such as multiplayer; "M'aiq does not know this word. You wish others to help you in your quest? Coward! If you must, search for the Argonian Im-Leet, or perhaps the big Nord, Rolf the Uber. They will certainly wish to join you."

Theres a reference to Empire Strikes Back in Bloodmoon; a dead adventurer hanging upside down in an ice cave, reaching out for his sword on the floor

In Sothelstiem theres a fortune teller named Odfrid White-Lip who predicts the storyline of Oblivion; "When the dragon dies, the Empire dies. Where is the lost dragon's blood, the Empire's sire? And from the womb of the void, who shall stem the blood tide?."

And finally, there is the corpse of Indiana Jones in a cave crushed under a rock with a note containing his last words;

"My adventures have taken me all over. I have been places that man never knew existed. I have retrieved artifacts and fine treasures that were thought to be myth. From chalices of origins long lost, to gems with power unthought of by man, to powerful religious artifacts that house more interest to madmen than sane. I shall at least take these fine memories with me to the grave.

I shall miss my father. Like me, he was also a man of adventure. I followed in his footsteps, though I was blessed with far more luck than he. Until now, of course. He shall be on his own now. At least I am spared any more jokes about my childhood pet. And my students...how I treasured teaching them the secrets and alien concepts of all things unknown and mysterious. May they be successful.

I do not go down along though. With my crippled body, in this heap of earth, I am accompanied by my trusty leather, my steel, and most of all, my token hat. Unable to reach them under the mass, I know they are untouchable and safe. I will not die alone.

Farewell,
Indie"

bjork

Anasui Kishibe said:
some funny fighting games stuff

the character of M.Bison has been completely copied from the Riki-Oh manga (1988)

vega01.gif
washizaki01.jpg

vega02.gif
washizaki02.jpg

I saw this recently and wondered if it was just coincidence, but there's no way it isn't intentional.

Dali

Can we stop with the Coke references. A)They are fucking stupid and not in any way 'mindblowing'. B)There is a thread in the OT for stuff like that not pertaining to video games.

nightez

Banned
DarthWaiter said:
This is the American version, and is the only version of Super Mario 64 that I have access to. Just go behind the door with the 3 stars on it (the first snow stage) and go right up to the stage painting. Position the camera to see behind the painting and you will see it.

You will see the letter F. Its different for other releases; Japanese and PAL.

It spells out FUN. The N64 was called the FUN Machine internally for quite awhile.

Actually the N64 was called Ultra-64 internally. The "FUN machine" was actually the slogan for the N64 its even called the Fun machine on the box.

GrayFoxPL

NameGenerated said:
I've heard this scream much more than any others, it never gets recognized though. :(

I've heard this scream everywhere, even in TransFormers The Movie (cartoon).

Funny is that this scream is often used not as a scream but a sound of heavy sliding doors opening and many others.

BitchTits

ckohler said:
Never seen the US game before, I had the Ranma game for the SFC, I thought they released it as is, or was that the following Ranma game?

ghibli99

BitchTits said:
Never seen the US game before, I had the Ranma game for the SFC, I thought they released it as is, or was that the following Ranma game?
That was Ranma 1/2: Hard Battle... I'm surprised that boxart doesn't show up in the shitty boxart threads. It's all sorts of awful.

Here are a couple I discovered over the weekend after completing Majora's Mask and beginning my first serious playthrough of the original Legend of Zelda.

In Majora's Mask when you make the river flow in Ikana Canyon, the music box house will start playing a tune. Sometimes it will play the tune from Boo's Haunted House in Mario 64.

In Legend of Zelda, the flute plays the same tune as the flute in Super Mario Bros 3. They also both summon a whirlwind to transport you somewhere.

It's kind of shocking when you get down to it just how often Nintendo franchises cross cameos with one another. You could almost picture all the franchises co-existing on a single world.

Top Bottom