• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

webrunner

Here's something:
In Zero Mission, it's easy to say that maybe the Wrecked Ship is the Pirate ship that appears later... but that isn't the case. You can find the Wrecked Ship in Zero Mission, but you don't get to explore all of it:

Area in front of Ship.. notice the platforms

ZM: http://i29.tinypic.com/iw56o7.jpg
SM: http://i25.tinypic.com/j0hbg8.jpg

Also:
Notice how in ZM this architecture exists nowhere else, and resembles the Wrecked Ship

ZM: http://i32.tinypic.com/fus55x.jpg
SM: http://i26.tinypic.com/30maj9i.jpg

PepsimanVsJoe said:
This has probably already been mentioned in this thread but hey.

I'm sure everyone has heard of Rockman but what about:
Roll? Bass? Treble? Blues? Yes they're other characters from the Rockman series.

Except they changed Rockman to Megaman, and Blues to Protoman, so now the original joke is lost.

Cheerilee

Anasui Kishibe said:
Nobody's saying that 00CC00 isn't a nice shade of green, they're saying that the NES didn't have hex-based 24-bit color. They (Miyamoto/Aonuma/whoever) most likely decided to make Link's tunic that particular shade of green at some point, and then got used to talking about that color, which was why they made that naming pun (although I agree, it would've been better used on a tailor), but for all we know it could've been Wind Waker or even Twilight Princess itself when they started doing it. It just wasn't Zelda 1 on the NES (which really diminishes the shock factor).

In a related naming pun, there's a rabbit in Mario 64 named MIPS. MIPS stands for Microprocessor without Interlocked Pipeline Stages, a kind of processor architecture Silicon Graphics decided to use in the Nintendo 64.

webrunner

Death_Born said:
Except they changed Rockman to Megaman, and Blues to Protoman, so now the original joke is lost.

The funny thing is that in some cases (Forte & Gospel -> Bass & Treble) they changed the names into DIFFERENT musical puns.

m3k

im not sure if this is common knowledge but chun li briefly appears in the first breath of fire game

zomg

M3wThr33

Banned
Talladega Knight said:
The thing I find mind-blowing is the fact that Yoshi fucking dinosaur would be able to collect more DK coins than Link.
Well, he did have more platformer experience; though his advantage in qualifications today would be much greater than it was in 1994.
sky said:
I just realized the music used in that crowd-pleasing Zelda E3 '05 trailer is from the Conan the Barbarian Soundtrack. :D
Heh. They used the same music for the Ocarina of Time theatrical trailer, and a Wind Waker trailer too.

For good measure for those wanting to compare, here it is with Twilight Princess too.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
beerbelly said:
Although quite obvious, it still needs to be mentioned. How did this ever get a pass? (Viper for NES, awesome game!)

2qa8cvc.png

I don't see whatever it is I'm supposed to see.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Dali said:
So the entire cartoon was translated to Hebrew except the word "mime"? Is there a Hebrew word for "mime"?
There is a word for it, they just didn't translate Pokemon names for some reason (probably because that would have forced them to translate the merchandise and whatnot as well).

Code_Link

ggnoobIGN said:
I have played through OoT a countless amount of times. How I never noticed this, I will never know.

Biggoron.jpg

It all makes sense now.

I think I get it, but I'm not sure.

Uh, I don't know what you noticed...

With the announcement of Band Brothers DX, I thought I'd bump this with (I think) a little known fact about the game:

it was originally planned for the GBC, then for the GBA, and it finally released on the DS in 2k4. That's around 5 years of development (it started development back in 1999 IIRC).

Code_Link

hoqhuuep said:
It's OOT. No 3 day limit...

No, that's Majora's Mask -- in the Snowhead part, after the Goron village. You have to cross a long ice bridge there to enter the dungeon.

But I'm sure you guys already know that, which is why I have no idea what's so special or weird about that pic.

Cheerilee

Code_Link said:
No, that's Majora's Mask -- in the Snowhead part, after the Goron village. You have to cross a long ice bridge there to enter the dungeon.

But I'm sure you guys already know that, which is why I have no idea what's so special or weird about that pic.
There is nothing special or weird about the pic.

Someone mentioned that his mind was blown when he realized that the Biggoron Sword was made by a "Big Goron" (who was shockingly named "Biggoron"), and then one of the freshly mind-blown people posted a pic of Biggoron that came up as the first result on Google Image Search, and explained that he had never "seen it" (the connection between his name and what he is) before. There's really nothing deeper to find in there, except that it's a pic of the wrong Biggoron from the wrong game.

Someone earlier was mentioning a Journey song that was very similar to the Elecman stage from Mega Man 1.

I know it's a very, very weak link, but As I Lay Dying's "The Darkest Night"s intro riff is errily similar to the Boss Select from Mega Man 3.

I always found it funny that Street Fighter 1 namedropped the Velvet Underground and Ian Dury

And I think there's another namedrop on the other side of the level, can't remember who though

sf1lolz.gif

mrplaid

The chassis of unsold Atari Jaguars were apparently painted and repurposed to house dental cameras:

Jaguar.jpg
= .

Click the 'Hot Rod' image to be taken to a PDF brochure. Cybermorph = "Optional memory cartridge." Lol.

Thank you, Player One Podcast.

mrplaid said:
The chassis of unsold Atari Jaguars were apparently painted and repurposed to house dental cameras:

Jaguar.jpg
= .

Click the 'Hot Rod' image to be taken to a PDF brochure. Cybermorph = "Optional memory cartridge." Lol.

Thank you, Player One Podcast.

Wow, what a cool find.

ChrisRT

In Airforce Delta on the Sega Dreamcast, the Boeing X-32 is included instead of the Lockheed Martin X-35. The X-35 would be chosen years later to enter production as the Joint Strike Fighter.

196566_50158.jpg

Code_Link

ruby_onix said:
There is nothing special or weird about the pic.

Someone mentioned that his mind was blown when he realized that the Biggoron Sword was made by a "Big Goron" (who was shockingly named "Biggoron"), and then one of the freshly mind-blown people posted a pic of Biggoron that came up as the first result on Google Image Search, and explained that he had never "seen it" (the connection between his name and what he is) before. There's really nothing deeper to find in there, except that it's a pic of the wrong Biggoron from the wrong game.

<3

I can now sleep at night. :D

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Ok, I'm posting this here, simply because out of mindless hours slaving at building these things, on custom maps and not, I have never noticed this.

1zz54zq.jpg

RotBot

Alfarif said:
The Rick Astley song used to Rick Roll people is ALSO a Chrono Trigger song... ROBO'S THEME SONG IN FACT!!! MIND BLOWN!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uZr3JWYdy8 - Paint Roller'd, so you can hear it easier

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOWf_T0jdgQ - Robo's theme song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhiALeK5rTk&feature=related - One that combines the two... seamless!
This isn't quite Chrono Trigger/Rick Astley or Mega Man/Journey, but I randomly started humming Telepopmusik's Breathe to myself while listening to Chrono Corridor from the Brink of Time album a few years ago (when that Mitsubishi commercial was running). So I tried laying them over each other in ACID, and it turned out pretty well.

Markster

Hazaro said:
Ok, I'm posting this here, simply because out of mindless hours slaving at building these things, on custom maps and not, I have never noticed this.

1zz54zq.jpg
I obviously didn't play this game as obsessively as you, so...

what game is that?

Top Bottom