• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fan mods Devil May Cry 3 to allow on-the-fly style switching

Sesha

I wonder how much work Itsuno and team did for OTF style switching in 3 before deciding it wasn't feasable. Would be interesting to know if there was any code for it existing in the game.

BasilZero

Gonna get DMC3 on steam soon.

Hopefully I'll be able to place all the fixes so it can play properly :O

DMC3 is awesome! Fav in the series. Might get DMC4 even though I've played it somewhat recently on my PS3.

RSB

Banned
You're mistaken because the holy trinity of action games is DMC3, Bayonetta and NGB. There is no better or worse.
Couldn't agree more.

The sequels (NG2, and DMC4) were great too, but not quite as good and polished as their predecessors. Hopefully Bayonetta 2 will fare better, and manage surpass the original. We'll see...

Cool mod BTW.

BadWolf

Played some DMC3 yesterday, last time I played it was probably like 7 or 8 years ago.

Still so damn good.

Though I gotta say, only having access to one style at a time does make it feel kind of limited in what you can do. Still just on mission 7 though so have much to unlock and find.

I suck at DMC4 Dante but all those weapons and styles being a button press away at any time has spoiled me.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Gonna get DMC3 on steam soon.

Hopefully I'll be able to place all the fixes so it can play properly :O

DMC3 is awesome! Fav in the series. Might get DMC4 even though I've played it somewhat recently on my PS3.

But them when they're $5 together on sale on Steam. Don't buy them separately just for this.

Hmm, that explains it. I was wondering why he knocked up DT'd Sloth twice in a row with Release. I would love chargeless instant Release though. It's super stylish to use in combat but kills enemies too quickly.

It doesn't necessarily have to do damage. It could be just a mid air launcher like the mid air stinger in bayonetta.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
With a little tinkering, the DMC3 PC version worked perfectly for me with the 360 controller as well.

I think the issues are truly overblown at this point with fixes readily available. When the game was first released, I'm sure it was a fucking travesty. Now, it is perfectly serviceable with some easy fixes.

You can get the 360 controller working with tinkering, but there are some very real issues that remain. I can't get DMC3 to run above 30fps, and even then it stutters at times. Comparatively, I can play DMC4 above 60fps easily, without skipping a beat. It's an issue with optimization, DMC3 being one of the worst optimized ports while DMC4 is one of the best optimized ports (fully recognizing that "port" is a bit of a misnomer since MT Framework was first created to run on PCs).

There's a glitch with certain sound cards, like mine, where the causes the game to slow to a crawl. I had to literally remove pieces of music from the game directory to get it to work right.

Even with all these problems, it's still worth the asking price when it's on sale... especially with this mod added to the mix.

By the way, for those interested in the necessary sound folder edit for some, see the link below:
http://s1.zetaboards.com/InfernalWorks/topic/3715047/1/

If somebody is using PS3 controller with MiJ then you can use this configuration to map your left stick

iYZFfRjsDbIFk.png

keep in mind that triggers would not work and you would have to manually assign them to "Q" and "E". Also ignore the right stick setting in the pic because they are wrong.

By the way, for those interested in the necessary sound folder edit for some, see the link below:
http://s1.zetaboards.com/InfernalWorks/topic/3715047/1/

Funny thing but it seems that bayonetta on PS3 also runs a little better if you play some mp3's in the background (this automatically disables the ingame sound)

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Funny thing but it seems that bayonetta on PS3 also runs a little better if you play some mp3's in the background (this automatically disables the ingame sound)

That's really weird. I wonder if it has to do with streaming data from the disc? But the game would have been installed... Hmm..

Sephzilla

Mother of God

Looks like I'm reinstalling DMC3 PC and searching for fixes.

I know it's a mod and all that so the comparison isn't really fair, but watching the gameplay in this really drives home for me how god fucking awful DmC was.

Mother of God

Looks like I'm reinstalling DMC3 PC and searching for fixes.

I know it's a mod and all that so the comparison isn't really fair, but watching the gameplay in this really drives home for me how god fucking awful DmC was.

Here are the stuff I used:

1. Widescreen patch
(link) Contains a bunch of .exes for the game with varying resolutions. Backup your original exe too. There might be a better solution than this but I don't know.

2. ControlMK
(link) If you use a PS3/360 controller, you need to remap L2/R2/LT/R2 to Q/E on your keyboard. This free program can do that.
L2/LT = Z- Axis = Q
R2/RT = Z+ Axis = E

If you use some other controller (specially ones that don't use XInput), you'll just have to mix and match numbers and buttons.

3. Controller config
Configs for 360 controllers, as well as PS3 controllers if you use the 360 controller emulator. Just copy paste into DMC3SE.ini. If your controller pops up as a different name in the control panel, just rename one of the stuff below.
[Controller (Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows)]
START = 7
SELECT = 6
CIRCLE = 1
TRIANGLE = 3
SQUARE = 2
CROSS = 0
L1 = 4
R1 = 5
L2 = 11
R2 = 12
L3 = 8
R3 = 9
L<->R = 1
[Controller (XBOX 360 for Windows)]
START = 7
SELECT = 6
CIRCLE = 1
TRIANGLE = 3
SQUARE = 2
CROSS = 0
L1 = 4
R1 = 5
L2 = 11
R2 = 12
L3 = 8
R3 = 9
L<->R = 1
[XBOX 360 For Windows (Controller)]
START = 7
SELECT = 6
CIRCLE = 1
TRIANGLE = 3
SQUARE = 2
CROSS = 0
L1 = 4
R1 = 5
L2 = 11
R2 = 12
L3 = 8
R3 = 9
L<->R = 1

Jesus H is there any way to fix the framerate issues in the PC version? It's ridiculous.

So literally the only way to play this game decently on PC is removing most of the music? Fuck this port, seriously. Capcom should release a new port of this, but of course they won't bother because no one at Capcom cares about their legacy.

I mean, what kind of "powerful" machine are we talking here? I'm running an i5 at 4,3GHz with a heavily overclocked GTX670 to back it up. Guess I'll try removing the sound files anyway, see if it helps.

Dahbomb

Had a friend try it out with me on his PC. This is glitchy as hell. Game crashed when you try to style switch too much. Framerate drop galore (on PCs that can run DMC4 at 120FPS), weird sound glitches and move properties (weird floats and stuff).

It's still HYPE as FUCK! I felt like a boss when I did Beast Uppercut, switch to A&R, Tempest, switch to Gunslinger, Trick Shot with Spiral, switch to Swordmaster, Real Impact. Simple as fuck combo but the fact that you could interact those moves like that made my cock ROCK HARD!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Next thing is to mod DMC1 to make it so that you can have Alastor on one melee attack button and Ifrit on the other. It'd take some careful handling of Rolling Blaze/Air Hike as well as the Devil Trigger mechanics/moves but, done right, it'd be completely fucking boss just like this. Sure, it'd lead to some dead-easy infinite combos but it'd also be a serious revolution in stylish DMC1 play for the first time in forever.

Son Of D

sogood.gif

Not sure if it'll be possible (unless I've missed something) but a mod that allows more weapons to be equipped would be amazing.

Next thing is to mod DMC1 to make it so that you can have Alastor on one melee attack button and Ifrit on the other. It'd take some careful handling of Rolling Blaze/Air Hike as well as the Devil Trigger mechanics/moves but, done right, it'd be completely fucking boss just like this. Sure, it'd lead to some dead-easy infinite combos but it'd also be a serious revolution in stylish DMC1 play for the first time in forever.

A DMC3 style weapon switch system for DMC1 is something I've wanted for a long time. It'll be interesting to see how that would effect the gameplay.

A DMC3 style weapon switch system for DMC1 is something I've wanted for a long time. It'll be interesting to see how that would effect the gameplay.

Already done. Unknown to many, DMC1 actually lets you swap between two weapons without going to the menu by pressing L3+R3, but there's a delay. There are GameShark codes to remove it. Unfortunately given the prematurity of the combat system and just 2 weapon types, it doesn't really open up that many combos.

Air Hike *and* Rolling Blaze would be pretty damn cool to have. As for the actual melee combat itself - most DMC1 enemies are better attacked with one weapon over the other, but it'd still allow for some stuff to be cancelled much more offensively/aggressively than is currently the case. You'd be able to string some pretty fucking epic combos together.

The special-DT-move mechanics (and the way DT affects your Ebony & Ivory shots) might be a tad more complicated, but those mostly wouldn't overlap in terms of controls. Can't remember if the DT for Alastor vs. Ifrit has special passive properties outside of the gun stuff (sort of like how DMC3's DTs have different levels of boosting your offense, defense, speed, and health regen depending on which Devil Arm you've got equipped).
Already done. Unknown to many, DMC1 actually lets you swap between two weapons without going to the menu by pressing L3+R3, but there's a delay. There are GameShark codes to remove it. Unfortunately given the prematurity of the combat system and just 2 weapon types, it doesn't really open up that many combos.
Eh, you still can't do that in midair (important for a few things) and it's not as good for facilitating mid-combo switching.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

I knew about the weapon swapping, naturally, but I didn't know there was a Gameshark code to remove the delay. That's pretty cool.

Dahbomb

Its actually just R3.

And yea the delay really restricts the types of combos you can do with it. You also can't buffer the switch during a move nor can you use the swap in the air.

Its actually just R3.

And yea the delay really restricts the types of combos you can do with it. You also can't buffer the switch during a move nor can you use the swap in the air.

Obviously this DMC3SE mod is a way bigger deal with way bigger potential buuuut -

I'm just thinking about stuff like Round Trip + Kick13 autocombo, or Air Hike -> DT -> Air Raid -> Inferno -> deactivate DT mid-Inferno and it's making me real happy.

Keirnoth

Banned
Really wish this mod made front page news at some of the other gaming sites considering the kind of tripe articles they allow their so-called "journalists" to put on those sites. Would spark some discussion and reinvigorate those who still play the real versions of DMC.

I'm in contact with a lot of DMC fans so word of this mod ended up filtering down to me through the grapevine, but some people may not be as fortune if they only get their "news" from those sites.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Really wish this mod made front page news at some of the other gaming sites considering the kind of tripe articles they allow their so-called "journalists" to put on those sites. Would spark some discussion and reinvigorate those who still play the real versions of DMC.

I'm in contact with a lot of DMC fans so word of this mod ended up filtering down to me through the grapevine, but some people may not be as fortune if they only get their "news" from those sites.

Gaming journalists hate DMC fans, and the majority of them wouldn't recognize the significance of this mod.

For us, it completely changes the game. For them, it's a glorified cheat code.

Yeah I was only aware of it because of gaf and some dmc players talking about it.

Its definitely a game changer, I think if the pc version of dmc3 was more accessible the mod would get more attention.

Gaming journalists hate DMC fans, and the majority of them wouldn't recognize the significance of this mod.

For us, it completely changes the game. For them, it's a glorified cheat code.

Also this

Seems like he hit a fairly significant roadblock, and that he'll have to resort to writing codes instead of just modifying memory values with CE.

Dahbomb

Looks like there's also a weapons swapping mod in the works.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7VrlARV6iU
Greatest action game of the forever.

PS2 could not contain this game... needed superior hardware to unlock its true potential.

From the guy who coded this mod:

First, space. The PS2 is extremely limited with 32MB memory. I can't simply allocate new memory with Cheat Engine as it would point outwards the PS2 memory range. I have pretty much exhausted every codecave the game has to offer. I haven't talked with the devs yet, but I don't think that you can simply increase the PS2 memory without altering huge parts of it's architecture.

Less big than style switching (I'm not a huge fan of the mushy three-weapon-switching in DMC4), but god-damn.
Depends on how it's mapped. If it's like Bayonetta where you tap a button and you change your load out to two different weapons this would be absurd.

10 weapons plus OTF style switch in DMC3 would launch it into cosmic power levels of action gaming.

Depends on how it's mapped. If it's like Bayonetta where you tap a button and you change your load out to two different weapons this would be absurd.

10 weapons plus OTF style switch in DMC3 would launch it into cosmic power levels of action gaming.
OK, yeah, if they could do it that way (paired Devil Arm + gun) and then do a forward/back thing with L2/R2 then that'd be amazing (even if it'd mean occasionally doing *more* inputs for some stuff, it'd generally have little effect on starting players while raising the ceiling for advanced players up to heaven).

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
OK, yeah, if they could do it that way (paired Devil Arm + gun) and then do a forward/back thing with L2/R2 then that'd be amazing (even if it'd mean occasionally doing *more* inputs for some stuff, it'd generally have little effect on starting players while raising the ceiling for advanced players up to heaven).

They could always do what Drakengard 3 has and hold L2/R2 and hit a face button for quick change out between four weapons.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Now it's time to get really crazy.

It's kind of incredible how well the styles interact with one another in a game where they were never intended to (though Itsuno arguably wanted style switching included in DMC3 but couldn't due to RAM limitations).

The synergy between Doppleganger and Swordmaster/Gunslinger is basically what you'd expect, without it bugging out all over the place. And the inclusion of the auto Just Release has great potential.

They're also continuing to make improvements to the mod, including changing move/cancel properties.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Shiiiiit.

They need to mod DMC3SE to give Vergil access to Quicksilver and Doppelganger next.

They're doing crazy things with Vergil, too. Such as making Lunar Phase and Rising Sun air enabled. I think they've already enabled Quicksilver for him.

There's still some kinks and bugs with him though:
Well, even though I managed to remove the character restrictions that kept Vergil from being able to access additional styles there are still some problems. The game doesn't really recognize Swordmaster and Gunslinger as unique styles but rather as weapon extensions, so those are skipped naturally. Doppelganger is not properly initialized and Royalguard triggers an infinite loop when used. Quicksilver works with just a few fixes and that is a miracle in itself.
http://www.phantombabies.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12079&start=200

Top Bottom