• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 8: Put mii in, coach

corn_fest

I really don't like the idea of move customization - it's a lot harder to fight against someone if you're not sure what the properties of their moves are. Kinda hoping that it'll be mostly a cosmetic feature.

I really don't like the idea of move customization - it's a lot harder to fight against someone if you're not sure what the properties of their moves are. Kinda hoping that it'll be mostly a cosmetic feature.

It's only for local and online-with-friends play, right? It won't take long to figure out what tweaks your friends have made to their moves, so you'll get used to it. It's not like every random person you fight will have altered movesets.

georly

It's not very different from having a ton of items. It's just an additional chaos element. Easily disabled, only usable local/with friends. If you don't like them, turn them off.

The only difference between it and items/stage hazards is that I imagine you can make some characters absolutely broken if you have the right combination, and it's no longer an element of chance. You, too, can give yourself a broken moveset, i'm sure. If you ever played brawl minus, you'll know that having everyone be overpowered is actually kinda fun.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
After E3, do you think there will be any need for a Smash Direct? With the 3DS release just around the corner, I doubt there will be much information left to reveal.

I dunno but I could imagine that they would do one when we get close to 3DS or Wii U version's release date.

I'm remaining to hope that we would get good amount of informations at E3.

I dunno but I could imagine that they would do one when we get close to 3DS or Wii U version's release date.

I'm remaining to hope that we would get good amount of informations at E3.

Personally, I'm expecting something megaton about Smash 4 on Wii U. Maybe we'll get an extra character or two that will be added to Smash 4 on 3DS as DLC?

Lunar15

I keep forgetting about the customizable movesets. It's still kind of mindblowing to think about it.

Do you think this will be allowed in tournaments? Will you use them, or do you feel like sticking to the defaults?

Berordn

I keep forgetting about the customizable movesets. It's still kind of mindblowing to think about it.

Do you think this will be allowed in tournaments? Will you use them, or do you feel like sticking to the defaults?

Depends wholly on implementation. Is it a bunch of preset moves that you pick as part of a loadout? Do you actually decide on the properties of the moves? Will there be an easy way to save and load profiles?

Until that's all answered it's up in the air.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
I think Lip (Panel de Pon) should be represented in this game somehow.

MUxPzRH.png

Panel de Pon/Tetris Attack is a really fun puzzle game that a lot of Smash fans seem to enjoy. She already has an item (Lip's Stick), but a character would be even better.

Or maybe a stage (although I don't know how it'd be implemented) just so we can get some arrangements for that soundtrack.

georly

I'm sure that most tournaments won't use them, just like they don't use custom stages. I'm sure some of the more casual ones might.

The thing I want to know is... what if a character sucks REALLY bad, and actually changing ONE special into a custom special makes them viable. If the FGC agrees to it, can they approve of 'modified donkey kong', for example, as 'legal tournament donkey kong'?

MUxPzRH.png

Panel de Pon/Tetris Attack is a really fun puzzle game that a lot of Smash fans seem to enjoy. She already has an item (Lip's Stick), but a character would be even better.

Or maybe a stage (although I don't know how it'd be implemented) just so we can get some arrangements for that soundtrack.

The lip stick being confirmed as an item doomed her

I'll take anything that makes Luigi's fireballs useful for more than just detonating Blast Boxes. Make them faster, make them travel farther, do something with them.

MUxPzRH.png

Tetris Attack was a good game. I'd be up for a Panel de Pon character and/or stage.
Maybe the stage could be called Lip's Puzzle League?

I'm still guessing that the wiiu's bonus mode will be boss battle mode where the game pad player can play as ridley, master hand, yellow devil so in that sense the wiiu will have "more playable characters" but only for a bonus mode

Just to be clear, there's no visible ranking for online multiplayer. This was confirmed in the Direct. The Global Smash Power thing is for, like, scores you get in single player and shit. There's internal stats that will be used for matchmaking, however, so after you do a bunch of matches you'll start being paired with people who are close to your skill level so you have good matches instead of getting JV5-stocked*.

That said, if any of you play at McDonald's and I wind up playing your laggy, jittery ass then I am going to nuke your house. There are good public APs out there but McDonald's usually isn't one of them.

*This is actually fairly rare but it happened to me once and it made me want to never touch Dr. Mario ever again.

Really? I thought there was like, a for fun mode and a for glory mode, and that the glory mode was ranked. What does the glory mode do then?

Tan

MUxPzRH.png

Agreed. Tetris Attack is fantastic.

Really? I thought there was like, a for fun mode and a for glory mode, and that the glory mode was ranked. What does the glory mode do then?
For Fun is basically FFAs with default settings and no Final Destination. Only wins are recorded.

For Glory has the option for 1v1s, no items, FD only. Both wins and losses are recorded.

For Glory isn't the actual competitive ruleset due to the FD only thing, but from my experience FD Whores far outnumber the people who play with the actual competitive ruleset so that move makes a lot of sense.

So it's basically a casual mode and an FD Whore mode. No true competitive mode, but the FD Whore mode should still be a lot of fun once people start getting sorted by skill level.

For Fun is basically FFAs with default settings and no Final Destination. Only wins are recorded.

For Glory has the option for 1v1s, no items, FD only. Both wins and losses are recorded.

For Glory isn't the actual competitive ruleset due to the FD only thing, but from my experience FD Whores far outnumber the people who play with the actual competitive ruleset so that move makes a lot of sense.

So it's basically a casual mode and an FD Whore mode. No true competitive mode, but the FD Whore mode should still be a lot of fun once people start getting sorted by skill level.

This really just makes me question the reasoning behind not making a room/lobby system with multiple customization options. The easiest and best thing they could've done, really.

georly

The best thing he announced was that multiplayer with friends lets you basically do everything you can do when playing locally. Almost everyone who is serious about the game will set up their own stuff anyway. For fun and for glory are both modes for having fun, and no one will take them TOOOOOOOOOOO seriously.

This really just makes me question the reasoning behind not making a room/lobby system with multiple customization options. The easiest and best thing they could've done, really.

Yeah, it's somewhat unfortunate that a lobby system hasn't been announced. It would be nice to fight against totally random opponents using your own terms. I think the main problem is that smash bros has TOO MANY options, so a lobby would either be a nightmare to set up (item/stage toggle. Custom moves. Time/Stock/Coin, etc) or have limited options. Either of which isn't perfect.

PK Gaming

This was sarcasm right? If not...

Technically Dunban had the Monado as well, so you're inaccurately suggesting exclusivity to Shulk. None of the Monado arts represent any type of gameplay that couldn't be grafted onto a sword or magic user; they're not unique to Shulk.
http://xenoblade.wikia.com/wiki/Monado
So your statement that he would have the "most varied and unique moveset" is laughable.

Did we play the same game here? Dunban could barely wield the Monado; he lost use of his right arm after using it for one battle, remember? Furthermore, he was incapable of drawing at many of the Monado skills. Shulk had access to to several Monado Arts. Such as:

Monado Buster (Giant Beam Sword Slash), Monado Enchant (weapon buffing technique), Monado Shield (Self explanatory), Monado Speed (Self explanatory), Monado Purge (ranged attack), Monado Armor (defense buffing technique), Monado Cyclone (AoE attack) and Monado Eater (Strips away buffs + bleed effect)

He has all of that, in addition to his natural skillset.

Your argument that he has the lowest moveset potential is disingenuous and lacks substance. Why don't you back up your claims instead of spouting inaccuracies?

So what? That has nothing to do with whether or not he would or should be Xenoblade's Smash representative.

Yes it does, you're deluding yourself if you think otherwise.

That's rich.

Your irrational Shulk hate is blinding you to the truth.

Golnei

I'd love for Xenoblade to get some representation; but a stage, music and assist trophy would be much better than a playable Shulk; who, while certainly viable, isn't particularly interesting, memorable or unique. The main strength of Xenoblade was its world, and that's what should be translated to a Smash appearance.

Son Of D

Too many posts to quote about the Gematsu leak. I'm with you who's thinking that Chorus Men will make or break that leak. Chrom and Palutena are safe guesses. Shulk's middle of the road but we do have Ness and Lucas in Smash after all.

It's so nuts to me that so many people in here assume the Gematsu "leak" isn't just a load of horseshit. Yeah, I know, Villager and WFT were unlikely guesses. Still aint enough to give them the level of credibility people are givin em here.

The thing is, that was the only guess (or one of very few) for Wii Fit Trainer. Before she was announced a vast majority of people would only expect a stage or item as Wii Fit representation.

georly

Too many posts to quote about the Gematsu leak. I'm with you who's thinking that Chorus Men will make or break that leak. Chrom and Palutena are safe guesses. Shulk's middle of the road but we do have Ness and Lucas in Smash after all.

The thing is, that was the only guess (or one of very few) for Wii Fit Trainer. Before she was announced a vast majority of people would only expect a stage or item as Wii Fit representation.

Or he could have won the 'guessing jackpot.' I really hope E3 disconfirms him.

justchris

Random strangers means lowest common denominator. You want options play with friends (or people you know on the internet).

Edit: The Gematsu leak could be perfectly valid, but why do you all assume that if it's right those are the only newcomers? Guy probably saw part of a screen for a minute and leaked what he remembered. There could be 50 other characters he just didn't see. After all, he apparently didn't see Rosalina at all, or if he did, saw her in a context that made her seem like something other than a playable fighter.

georly

Random strangers means lowest common denominator. You want options play with friends (or people you know on the internet).

The other option is to limit it to people with similar win/loss records in for glory lobbies, or win count in for fun lobbies, but that feeds into the 'exclusionary' style of gameplay that sakurai doesn't like. That's why global smash power is furthest from the bottom, not furthest from the top.

I honestly think that what they are doing is pretty good, simply because w/ friends lets you do everything you can do locally. The only thing that would make 'for glory' better would be the option to 'vote' on stages as well as being able to play on stage-hazard-less versions of stages (or at least 'battlefield' versions, also).

Do you think it'll be possible to run a GAF tourny with an online mode?

georly

Do you think it'll be possible to run a GAF tourny with an online mode?

Hopefully you can actually play tourney mode online, but I'm sorta doubtful. It'll probably have to be coordinated offline.

Now I wonder if we can have spectators. Probably not :( Who will moderate? :( :( We'll just have to take people's word for whether they lost or won?

justchris

I honestly think that what they are doing is pretty good, simply because w/ friends lets you do everything you can do locally. The only thing that would make 'for glory' better would be the option to 'vote' on stages as well as being able to play on stage-hazard-less versions of stages (or at least 'battlefield' versions, also).

I'm still hoping for a 'platforms' option on the next page, that lets you pick a number of platforms for the FDified stages (as well as Stick and Team options). The fourth tab would be to pick your character, then it throws you into queue (stages could be random, since they're all FD anyway).

Now I wonder if we can have spectators. Probably not :( Who will moderate? :( :( We'll just have to take people's word for whether they lost or won?

That's what we did with the Brawl tourney. I forget who kept up with the brackets, but you just reported in the thread the outcome of your match. It's not a problem as long as no one is an ass about it.

Edit: The Gematsu leak could be perfectly valid, but why do you all assume that if it's right those are the only newcomers? Guy probably saw part of a screen for a minute and leaked what he remembered. There could be 50 other characters he just didn't see. After all, he apparently didn't see Rosalina at all, or if he did, saw her in a context that made her seem like something other than a playable fighter.

I think there would be more, but not very many. If those leaks turn out to be true, I expect two more newcomers on top of them and Rosalina, tops.

Hopefully you can actually play tourney mode online, but I'm sorta doubtful. It'll probably have to be coordinated offline.

Maybe they'll have a screen shot option like in Animal Crossing.

That's what we did with the Brawl tourney. I forget who kept up with the brackets, but you just reported in the thread the outcome of your match. It's not a problem as long as no one is an ass about it.

If we keep it inside of GAF then I don't see any major trust issues. It just would have been great if there was a system in the game. Don't games like Street Fighter have tourny modes?

emb

I'm hoping we get Youtube uploading. If so, it'd be trivial to upload the match for others to verify.

Axass

Because people took the RosalinaX "leak" as truth, so they tought we'd get no more than 48 characters. Though that leak is probably a fake.

Why would someone lie? That'd be kinda sad.

SmithnCo

You can probably trust people's word on GAF.

If there's youtube uploading, that will do fine.

Lunar15

I'm sure that most tournaments won't use them, just like they don't use custom stages. I'm sure some of the more casual ones might.

The thing I want to know is... what if a character sucks REALLY bad, and actually changing ONE special into a custom special makes them viable. If the FGC agrees to it, can they approve of 'modified donkey kong', for example, as 'legal tournament donkey kong'?

This is what I'm curious about as well.

Azure J

Here's what I need for a perfect roster

Palutena
Medusa
King K. Rool
Dixie Kong
Takamaru
Lip
Ridley
Andy + Sami
Saki
Captain Syrup

Literally done. Smash Bros. would be officially "complete" once all nine of those characters appear.

Changed it up a bit but mostly agreed with you.

MUxPzRH.png

I love all you Takamaru and Lip supporters that keep popping up every now and again. :)

That said, I am totally down for Lip and I've made that stance clear a long time ago.

I don't necessarily, but I don't want to get my hopes up. That's a lot of newcomers.

Anyway, new Mario Kart stage tonight, Mario Kart as a playable character tonight, or just a shot on Rainbow Road 3DS?

Which character, new or returning, do you guys think is the most well-designed in Smash 4? I guess you can use how well their smash design compares to other iterations of their character as a basis.

My top 3 would be:

Mega Man
Toon Link
Bowser

DaBoss

Revisiting DK

Dash Attack
iYK96rsGqzZE9.gif
ivNWkpfWtU4iL.gif

We knew since the Smash Direct he had a Dash Attack. It is reminiscent of his DKC rolling attack.

The attack seems to go naturally with DK's running animation, but it is hard to judge from that clip.

In a video made by a user on SmashBoards, he pointed this out:
ibiB7EOqlnqtXS.gif
iNLaLooxa3Viv.gif

The thing to notice is DK falling off the edge, but does a roll in mid-air. That shouldn't be happening in normal circumstances. What he thought was that DK is able to use the dash attack off stage. This is something that Project M does as well.

It should be noted that almost no character can fall off the edge by using a Dash Attack in Brawl/Melee/64. The only character that could was Kirby in Melee.

This would be an interesting change if it is DK using a Dash Attack to go off stage.

For all we know it could be something to do with Smash Run and not necessarily normal gameplay, but it does seem to be a Dash Attack.

Interesting stuff going on here
i3hZ7JrSdycnr.gif
ixFeYt7vd1Go3.gif

I posted this towards the end of Thread 6 and it just caused confusion as to what's going on. There were some theories as to what was happening. The move's properties may have been changed. This could be a clip of a Smash Run battle.

Before determining what it is, let's go through the order of events. The old GIF missed out on some interesting things.

Order of what happens:
1. Mario uses his Neutral B (fire ball)
2. DK starts his Up Special
3. Fire ball hits DK and causes him to flinch (Note: DK's super armor for this move did not activate yet, so this flinch is normal)
4. DK's up special animation continues and actually uses the move (Note: This is not normal lol)
5. DK goes to the left and hits Mega Man multiple times while Mega Man DIs to the left and doesn't flinch at all. (Fox also grabs the Green Shell while using his Dash Attack)
6. Fox throws the Green Shell. Mega Man seems to stop DK's Up Special by shooting a pellet.
7. The Green Shell hits Mega Man, then DK, and then Mega Man again. Mega Man barely gets launched and has little hitstun while DK gets sent pretty far with more hitstun.

So with all of that said, there are some shenanigans going on here and all signs point to it being something to do with Smash Run. Mega Man probably has a high amount of Defense. There may be some stat explaining why DK still continued his Up Special animation despite being hit by a fire ball.

What does everyone else thing?

EDIT: lol top of the page.

Top Bottom