• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM Confrontation - The thread (bringing back the REAL!)

VaLiancY

What's this talk of "Mercs", "Special Ops" and "Commandos"? Please don't tell me their classes that can only use certain weapons?

Doel

VaLiancY said:
What's this talk of "Mercs", "Special Ops" and "Commandos"? Please don't tell me their classes that can only use certain weapons?
Mercs = Replacement name for 'Terrorists'. It's a Sony thing, they had some issues with some countries after the release of SOCOM 1 & 2, so they changed the name to Mercenaries by SOCOM Combined Assault.

Commandos = What you are when you're playing on the Seals side, but you're not in a clan.

Special Forces = What you are when you're in a clan and playing on the Seals side. But you aren't neccisarily a Seal as there is now at least 6 different types of Special Forces you can outfit your clan as. Each person in your clan has to be a part of that Special Forces team so you all appear as a clan, but each member can customize each bit of that. Different hats, shoes, gear, etc. It'll just all be the same palette thats available to that particular Special Forces basically.

Dante

Escalation said:
It doesn't even look like SOCOM in the GT video, at least not the SOCOM I know and love. Still Pre-Alpha though. I want to believe.

I know, graphically this actually looks pretty nice.

VaLiancY

Doel said:
Mercs = Replacement name for 'Terrorists'. It's a Sony thing, they had some issues with some countries after the release of SOCOM 1 & 2, so they changed the name to Mercenaries by SOCOM Combined Assault.

Commandos = What you are when you're playing on the Seals side, but you're not in a clan.

Special Forces = What you are when you're in a clan and playing on the Seals side. But you aren't neccisarily a Seal as there is now at least 6 different types of Special Forces you can outfit your clan as. Each person in your clan has to be a part of that Special Forces team so you all appear as a clan, but each member can customize each bit of that. Different hats, shoes, gear, etc. It'll just all be the same palette thats available to that particular Special Forces basically.

Hmm, reminds me of the CT side on Counter-Strike, it's just aesthetics I see. I guess SAS are going to be in Navy Blue or Black BDUs with the typical gas mask. :\ Meh to it overall but doesn't hurt as long as their is no advantage or disadvantage of not being in a clan.

Andokuky

Banned
Escalation said:
It doesn't even look like SOCOM in the GT video, at least not the SOCOM I know and love. Still Pre-Alpha though. I want to believe.

Looks like a cheap budget game. Gameplay wise anyway. The flow and the firefights look nothing like SOCOM.

Doel

Andokuky said:
The firefights are equally fake looking. It's too fast, the guns are too accurate, too little recoil.
You do realize those are EXACTLY that kinds of things they will be tweaking up to the end of development?

That is the whole point of the private beta. While the public beta which follows will be used to test server strain and match-making.

Doel

I finally got another episode done:

"The Real SOCOM" Podcast - Episode 2

Listen here!

Subcribe here to the podcast for your RSS reader

Yes, it's finally here, the long awaited Episode 2 of "The Real SOCOM" Podcast. Once again Hellman joins me (David Doel) for another great discussion, this one being roughly 55min. We cover everything that we can think of from our impressions of the gameplay videos, to ranked games being stuck to match making, to the name of Hellman's dog (no lie). And of course, like every show, we have a map of the week, but you'll have to tune in to find out what it is.

Enjoy the show!

*feel free to leave questions/comments below in this blog post, or drop me an email at daviddoel@therealsocom.com

Kittonwy

Banned
Doel said:
I finally got another episode done:
Thanks will listen.
angry.gif

Doel

We already have 71 downloads. Have to say I'm pretty impressed with that. :D

I definitely feel like we're getting into our groove.

The animation needs a lot of work.
I also dont like the jumping at all. Makes it look like counter strike.

Leaning is really nice though.

Laugh all you want but I'm going to stick with mgo2 until I see some major improvements.

Doel

Gamecocks625 said:
I can't wait to see what the other five maps are. I hope all of them aren't urban environments.
Agreed. They keep talking about how SOCOM was made popular because of its tight urban environments, but there were plenty of organic environments like Foxhunt which were very well designed and popular maps as well.

Doel

I'd also love to see Sujo make a return.

I want to see all the SOCOM 1/2 maps return eventually (with the exception of the downloadable ones like After Hours I really didn't care all that much for).

GQman2121

Banned
Dante said:
Garnett was really high on this on today's 1up Yours.

That's what I was going to post as well. He mentioned that it looked particularly good, which I was kind of surprised to hear, as I think the game has only looked decent in the videos released so far online. He also out right compared the gameplay style and speed to Socom II, which can't possibility be a bad thing.

I think it's a huge mistake if they don't expand DG and FF to house 32 players. That's going to bit them in the ass when everyone is playing only 16 player games across all the maps.

Arnie

Ok i am really liking the look of the new Socom and i have always been a fan of really realistic modern war simulation games. So could someone fill me in on what makes the combat in Socom so fun?

Secondly can someone please tell me if that crosshair is changeable, it's sooo bulky and it takes up too much of the screen?

Doel

-ARNiE- said:
Ok i am really liking the look of the new Socom and i have always been a fan of really realistic modern war simulation games. So could someone fill me in on what makes the combat in Socom so fun?

Secondly can someone please tell me if that crosshair is changeable, it's sooo bulky and it takes up too much of the screen?
The action is a little faster-paced than your typical realistic shooter. It's really hard to explain why the game feels so good on its own, but what really does it is the combination of a round-based system (best of 11, 5min rounds, one life per round), the incredible map designs, and the best lobby system I've ever experienced in an online game. Not to mention a great community to back it all up.

Concerning the round-based setup though (and only 1 life per round), this aspect is very important as it creates the kind of tension of being the last person on your team and the clock ticking down which is the recipe for great come back moments and incredible stories of strategy and patience that many games just don't have.

Doel said:
The action is a little faster-paced than your typical realistic shooter. It's really hard to explain why the game feels so good on its own, but what really does it is the combination of a round-based system (best of 11, 5min rounds, one life per round), the incredible map designs, and the best lobby system I've ever experienced in an online game. Not to mention a great community to back it all up.

Concerning the round-based setup though (and only 1 life per round), this aspect is very important as it creates the kind of tension of being the last person on your team and the clock ticking down which is the recipe for great come back moments and incredible stories of strategy and patience that many games just don't have.

Yeah, I can't really add to much to that, but Socom on the PS2 was the best online gaming I've ever experienced. It really is hard to put a finger on "one" aspect that truly sets it apart. Maybe it's the round based system, the one life per round, the community, the 3rd person view, knowing it's you against 7 other mercs and you are the one with the satchel with 2 minutes left...

Gamecocks625 said:
Yeah, I can't really add to much to that, but Socom on the PS2 was the best online gaming I've ever experienced. It really is hard to put a finger on "one" aspect that truly sets it apart. Maybe it's the round based system, the one life per round, the community, the 3rd person view, knowing it's you against 7 other mercs and you are the one with the satchel with 2 minutes left...

Yeah SOCRACK 2 is the best online game ever....

Btw, Here is part 1 of a psuedo Podcast that me and several other members of the Confrontation board did over the PSN

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Y76N4T5E

Doel

Closed beta update:

Abigale via Playstation.com boards said:
Hello, All-

I know you are all waiting and wondering what’s going on with the closed Beta. So I wanted to give you an update. I’m getting a lot of questions here and in PMs so I will answer what I can.

First of all, the closed Beta has not started yet. We are getting closer to it, but as of right now, anything you have heard about it starting already or people getting emails about it is not true. I know there are rumors floating around to the contrary but I am here to tell you they are just rumors. No one has been notified of anything yet.

I told you all in this post a little about the selection process. I told you that I was making lists to send to the group that was actually handling the Beta. Well, that has already been done. Those lists have been sent and it is now out of my hands. So if you didn’t get on one of those lists by now, I cannot add you. I’m very sorry but it’s too late.

And finally, I know you all want to know how you will be notified. If you are selected to apply for the closed Beta, you will get an invitation sent to the email you have registered for your PSN account. That will be the only way you will be contacted. So watch your emails!

If you do not get an invitation for the closed Beta, you will still have an opportunity to get in the open beta. Watch the blog on socom.com for a little bit of information on that later this week.

Hang in there, folks. We are getting closer and we will get this show on the road as soon as we can! :smileyhappy:

Arnie

Thanks for the replies guys, it sounds like a must buy for me. And in response i can gladly say that round based multipler is my preference. I enjoy the risks you must take to succeed.

Can anyone respond about the crosshair, it looks really big in correlation to the environment, as if it could obstruct your view.

Doel

-ARNiE- said:
Thanks for the replies guys, it sounds like a must buy for me. And in response i can gladly say that round based multipler is my preference. I enjoy the risks you must take to succeed.

Can anyone respond about the crosshair, it looks really big in correlation to the environment, as if it could obstruct your view.
It doesn't look bigger than any other crosshair I've seen. So I don't know what to say.

Ramirez

I woulda rather had Fish Hook over FF, oh well. :p Desert Glory is one of the best maps in any game I've played, so it's all good.

Arnie

Ok thanks Doel. Wow this game really looks to have some impressive gameplay. The Crossroads map looks beautiful too. I hope to see more of Urban Wasteland and another map maybe at E3. I hope Sony market this game well because it seems as alot of people have pointed out that Socom has a dedicated, strong userbase.

Ramirez

Acownz said:
This is in no way a Socom game. Just call it Rainbow Duty Warfighter. Why? S6 Why?

What could have spurred a knee jerk reaction like this? Especially after these guys have said that Garnett was gushing over the game and comparing it to Socom 2?

acevans2

Is Doel working on this game? Or is he just really excited about it?

This game is looking pretty damn good. For some reason, I wasn't into it from the initial announcement. Interest has gone way up since then.

I hope I can buy the disc w/o a headset... I don't need one....

Ramirez

acevans2 said:
Is Doel working on this game? Or is he just really excited about it?

This game is looking pretty damn good. For some reason, I wasn't into it from the initial announcement. Interest has gone way up since then.

I hope I can buy the disc w/o a headset... I don't need one....

Just a (really big)fan. :p

Acownz

Ramirez said:
What could have spurred a knee jerk reaction like this? Especially after these guys have said that Garnett was gushing over the game and comparing it to Socom 2?

I'd hardly call Garnett an authority on the subject. I'm a hardcore S1/S2 fan, the simpler the better. I have been disgusted through this whole process I am just now letting it be known.

Ramirez

Acownz said:
I'd hardly call Garnett an authority on the subject. I'm a hardcore S1/S2 fan, the simpler the better. I have been disgusted through this whole process I am just now letting it be known.

The majority of the people in this thread are hardcore Socom fans, none of us have played it, so coming to conclusions off unfinished videos is absurd. I never said he was the go to guy for Socom news, but he has played it, and I think anyone with a little common sense could tell if it played similarly to Socom 1/2 or not.

Don't get me wrong, the videos aren't exactly blowing me away either, but I'll at least wait until it's closer to it's finished state or actually playing it before I declare Slant Six as the destroyer of dreams.

tuco11

The nickel and diming never stops. I still can't get over the fact that we are only getting 4 new maps and the game has been well over a year in developement :lol

Doel

SOCOM.com updated.

Public Beta Announcement
Posted by David “Point Man” Brothers

Listen up folks, 'cause I've got some dirt on the Public Beta for SOCOM: US Navy SEALs Confrontation! We're not quite ready to say when it will come out, but let's just say that it's gonna be a hot summer... better to spend it inside, just in case.

There'll be a couple of ways to get in. One will be through a radically different pre-order program (think ‘team’) the team is working on with one of our retailer friends. It’s currently in planning mode, but I should have some more info soon. Trust me-- all you clan guys are going to love it. Stay tuned.

The second option will be to go through Qore™: Presented by PLAYSTATION®Network, SCEA’s new interactive monthly program. It goes up for purchase and download on the PLAYSTATION®Store on June 5th. Subscribers to Qore will get the opportunity to participate in the Public Beta when it’s available, but you can occupy your time watching some of the cool SOCOM behind-the-scenes videos that will come exclusively with Qore.

I see a lot of talk on the forums and comments about how this person or that person is the biggest and baddest SEAL around. Soon, you're going to get a chance to put your money where your mouth is!

dork

Banned
I'll be buying QORE, however you can't even pre order the game yet, last time i looked at work.

I better not buy QORE and then have the beta installer sit on my XMB for 3 months, launch this shit son

Top Bottom