• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

QORE announced, available this Thursday

From the PlayStation Blog
Today we are announcing that Qore: Presented by the PLAYSTATION Network, a highly interactive, monthly lifestyle gaming program covering the world inside PLAYSTATION is on its way to PS3. Qore has been developed to give PS3 users early access to game related content at a level of quality, interactivity and depth. Everything is filmed in HD. Qore will feature exclusive news, developer interviews, in-depth game previews and behind-the-scenes looks at PlayStation games and special access to game demos, special beta invitations, game add-ons and other downloadable game-related content.

Our premier episode will be available on Thursday, June 5. The premier episode includes in-depth exclusive and never-before released content on upcoming PlayStation titles such as SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Confrontation, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, Secret Agent Clank, Soul Calibur 4 and Afro Samurai, as well as the latest Blu-ray Disc trailers, an exclusive SOCOM: Confrontation theme with an invitation to the SOCOM: Confrontation beta, art galleries and other surprises. We also know that many of you are big fans of Veronica Belmont, the widely-known host of numerous online video programs and podcasts and an avid gamer, so we’ve chosen her to be your host.

To get Qore, simply log onto PSN and go to the PLAYSTATION Store, as you would purchase any other form of downloadable content. Once the single Episode or annual subscription is purchased, that month’s episode will be downloaded under the “Game” heading on the Cross Media Bar (XMB). Users who purchase the “Qore Annual Subscription” will notice only that month’s episode is available to download. The following month, the new episode will automatically appear in your download list. The introductory price for Qore is $2.99 for a single episode and $24.99 for an annual subscription of 13 episodes, using your PLAYSTATION Network wallet.

As Peter Dille mentioned in a previous PLAYSTATION Network post, the broader service and community initiatives launching on the PLAYSTATION Network this year such as Qore, PlayStation Home and the Video Download Service are all evidence of our dedication to delivering an all-encompassing entertainment experience for PS fans. Qore is the first in a series of planned original programming specifically created for the PLAYSTATION Network community and we hope you enjoy it.

There's a link to a video on the PS Blog too, but I don't know how to embed stuff......

here

Rlan

Is this the equivalent of paying for propaganda, or is this QORE a separate entity much like OPM was?

ascully

jiggle said:
I'd buy the one that comes with LBP beta :lol

I think thats what they are banking on, people buying it to get into betas, I say we all vote with our wallets by not opening them.

Danj

People will just find a way to pirate it and then it will get uploaded to Youtube.

Also, who thought it'd be a good idea to stick a gratuitous Q on the front of the name?

Billen

Banned
So, finally a payment option crept into the PSN, at the same time as it looks like the other Live-like options are to be enabled.

MoeB

Update_DoNotWant.jpg

Quasar

Depending on the quality of the exclusive content (and its length) I might give it a look.

Veronica Belmont in HD...

Of course...its probably only going to be available to U.S. Playstation owners.

Xater

Veronica Belmont as a host is pretty cool.

But really this should be free or dirt cheap (under 1$) because it's basically advertisement.

eznark

Banned
Who thought this would be a good idea?

If you are honestly considering this, buy the PJM soundtrack instead then thank me.

Xater

I will also say tha tif a can get access for the SOCOM beta for 2.99 I will probably do it.

If this will be for every territory...

If each one lets you into a beta, I'll buy it. It's better than buying some lame $10-15 game to get into a beta, like with SSF2THDR.

The worrying bit about that $2.99 price too is that it's the introductory price!!

which might go down if few people buy it.

quorn-mince.jpg

Elios83

This is not a video podcast.
It's more like "Get the Best contents of PSN (best exclusive demos, exclusive movies, interviews and beta invitations) and pay 3$ monthly for it".
The good thing is that they really have to step up the quality and quantity of contents if they want people to pay, the bad thing is the best contents won't be free anymore.
BTW this seems US-only, I wonder what's the plan for SCEE.

FirewalkR

"Hey, this is some cool stuff!"

*notices that the ADVERTISEMENT isn't free*

"Holy Shit Sony lulz!"

Edit:

*reads more*

"hmmm... could this be some sort of online official playstation magazine... with perks... hmmm"

Edit2:

"aaaah frak it, if this reaches europe i'll give it a try"

kay

Exclusive Soulcalibur 4 / Afro Samurai content, damn you Namco!
1stStrike said:
Someone needs to be our guinnea pig and fork out the dough to see if it's worth it. I vote..the op.
I'd do it if I could. 16 days until the thing about PSN cards coming in Spring is a lie.

FirewalkR

Hmmm... if this means some of the best content will be exclusive to subscribers, then finally here's psn subscriptions, under a slight disguise. :lol

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
jiggle said:
I'd buy the one that comes with LBP beta :lol

Ding ding.

FirewalkR said:
Hmmm... if this means some of the best content will be exclusive to subscribers, then finally here's psn subscriptions, under a slight disguise. :lol

Well, not quite, I'd say it'll be limited to early access to some first party stuff, predominantly. That is, most of it (except perhaps beta stuff, which is already exclusive anyway), would be out for free later. Third parties don't have to partake either, so this would mostly be of interest for first party stuff.

It's definitely Sony looking for a way to monetise certain content and generate a regular revenue on it, but it's not remotely an over-arching subscription either. The closest analog is an online version of an official magazine.

Goldrusher

It's an interactive, digital, online PlayStation magazine. The paper version isn't free, so why should an interactive online version be free ? And it comes with games and/or exclusive demos.

womfalcs3

Banned
FirewalkR said:

Not really. They say exclusive content and people immediately jump on the word demos. By content they mean exclusive themes and stuff. Special access to demos could mean those who subscribe to this service will get them earlier than everybody else.

You're not paying to play online, you're paying for the podcast (i.e. like you would a magazine) and to be ahead of the line in content (i.e. like demo discs you find in those magazines).

That said, I would never pay for this. Somebody will upload it somewhere (even if not YouTube). People will record it.

Xater

1stStrike said:
Someone needs to be our guinnea pig and fork out the dough to see if it's worth it. I vote..the op.

If my credit card still work with the US store I will probably get the first ep.

Pein

Banned
I don't have problem paying for if it can get me ps3 exclusive demo's and guaranteed beta access

peetfeet

If this appears in the UK/Europe I may bite, at least for the first episode.....

I, like others in this thread will be hoping a LBP demo/beta is released through it. Perhaps even exclusively to Europe as its a UK developer and due to the possible open nature of the demo/beta they may want to keep the numbers relatively low.... *crosses fingers*

keyrat

I'll take a wait and see approach. Good host, but I can't rely on the show to tell me anything I don't know already. It seems like it's interactive; it's going to be a piece of software that runs the episodes, so that's interesting. We'll see...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
peetfeet said:
If this appears in the UK/Europe I may bite, at least for the first episode.....

I'd say this is a SCEA initiative, solely. The different territories have always had different magazine and 'coverage' arrangements, so I'm sure it'd be the same with this. If SCEE were going to do it, I'm sure they'd want a localised version for Europe..which could possibly even mean the complication of multiple languages etc. So while I think SCEE will keep an eye on how well this does, I wouldn't hold me breath on a Euro version happening promptly..

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The Innocent X said:
wouldn't it be better to hope for a free regular demo/beta instead?

Better to hope for a free demo, sure.*

But betas are already exclusive as is. And you've precious little control over your chances of getting in. My luck with Sony betas has been spotty, so if I could pay to guarantee LBP beta access, I would.

*I'm sure any 'exclusive' demos would just be exclusive early access anyway. I'm sure all demos would be freely available eventually.

gofreak said:
Better to hope for a free demo, sure.*

But betas are already exclusive as is. And you've precious little control over your chances of getting in. My luck with Sony betas has been spotty, so if I could pay to guarantee LBP beta access, I would.

*I'm sure any 'exclusive' demos would just be exclusive early access anyway. I'm sure all demos would be freely available eventually.

ah, how we laughed back in 2005 when we heard MS and Sony were going to charge for demos. Laughable wasn't it. And yet here we are, with effectively both companies charging for demos, but in such a way that people don't mind.

Top Bottom