• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Moar Saints Row 2 Screens

sykoex said:
Well for one, GTAIV ripped the Cell phone and GPS ideas straight from Saints Row 1. It's not like the SR team is brain dead when it comes to creativity.
i remember the last time someone said that, the reply was "no, they stole that from real life!"

Timber

fortified_concept said:
So all FPSs should sell and be rated lower than Catacombs 3D (or whichever was the first FPS) because it was the first one? Gee, I hadn't thought of it that way before!

Btw it seems from that video that they have plenty of original ideas... unlike the new GTA.
I knew someone was gonna say this. Saint's Row doesn't just follow the open-word/sandbox structure template set by GTA, it rips it off completely. The setting, sense of humour, characters and storyline are all trying to perfectly emulate GTA.

Sure it's fun pushing a button to throw yourself in front of traffic as a side-mission. But all these quirks don't justify how creatively bankrupt these games are.

Timber said:
I knew someone was gonna say this. Saint's Row doesn't just follow the open-word/sandbox structure template set by GTA, it rips it off completely. The setting, sense of humour, characters and storyline are all trying to perfectly emulate GTA.

Sure it's fun pushing a button to throw yourself in front of traffic as a side-mission. But all these quirks don't justify how creatively bankrupt these games are.
so it's a complete ripoff... except when it's not... it makes sense i swear!!!

Timber said:
Holy shit, are you kidding? Saint's Row is fun, but it's bordering plagiarism. The original sold pretty well, and the sequel will have no trouble reaching a million. But I don't think a franchise that owes its entire existance to GTA and that's made by developers that clearly don't have a single original idea in their heads deserves to be one of the best selling series ever.
Fuck Splinter-Cell and Resident Evil.

turk128

I've yet to see anything coming out of GTA4 that makes me want to play it yet every new media from SR2 has captured my attention.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Looking suspiciously similar to GTA4, graphically...

Timber

The Faceless Master said:
so it's a complete ripoff... except when it's not... it makes sense i swear!!!
I know you like Saint's Row. I do, too. But is saying that it's a GTA ripoff such a contentious statement? Really? I admit I shouldn't have written completely. 'Largely' would have been more appropriate. But it's arguing semantics over something that's clear as day.

People asked me if I even saw the trailer. I did and I saw a game being DIRECTLY compared to GTAIV. Whoops. Seems like Volition knows what's up, now it's you guys' turn.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
fortified_concept said:
So all FPSs should sell and be rated lower than Catacombs 3D (or whichever was the first FPS) because it was the first one? Gee, I hadn't thought of it that way before!

Btw it seems from that video that they have plenty of original ideas... unlike the new GTA.

It's funny, but I didn't realize how useless the new content is on GTAIV until this video.

Yeah, Bowling, Darts and Pool is amusing, but the actual gameplay of SR looks like a ton of fun.

Zoso said:
Looking suspiciously similar to GTA4, graphically...

Nah, GTA IV looks much better.

Kibbles

Yeah, while we are all bashing GTA IV (lol, kidding... sort of) the muddy graphics really annoyed the shit out of me, wasn't as smooth as Saint's Row 1. This doesn't have that smoothness of Saint's Row 1 either though, it seems in between, but whatever it looks like there is a lot more to do than in GTA IV, hawt. First Saint's Row was awesome though, I wonder how the story is going to be after what happened, I haven't really been paying attention to SR2.

GTAIV got owned bad in that vid. SR for the fun and Mafia for the seriousness. Crying "GTA-ripoff" is just stupid.

I think I'm still a little fed up with the genre though, but the trailer is hilarious.

Wow! What a nice graphical bump since the last showing! What happened? Though it a tiny bit like they smeared the game in a layer of vasoline.

But that vid is awesome. Considering purchase now.

Timber said:
Holy shit, are you kidding? Saint's Row is fun, but it's bordering plagiarism. The original sold pretty well, and the sequel will have no trouble reaching a million. But I don't think a franchise that owes its entire existance to GTA and that's made by developers that clearly don't have a single original idea in their heads deserves to be one of the best selling series ever.
Bad games borrow. Great games steal.

Ryuuga

Banned
Seems I was right in looking forward to this game more than GTAIV. Now excuse me while I take my friend to the comedy club. We need to laugh off the dissapointment.

Timber said:
I know you like Saint's Row. I do, too. But is saying that it's a GTA ripoff such a contentious statement? Really? I admit I shouldn't have written completely. 'Largely' would have been more appropriate. But it's arguing semantics over something that's clear as day.

People asked me if I even saw the trailer. I did and I saw a game being DIRECTLY compared to GTAIV. Whoops. Seems like Volition knows what's up, now it's you guys' turn.
did you watch the trailer?

Moray

So I finally watched the video and yea, GTAIV looks ridiculously stupid. I can't believe I got so hyped for that game.

Going to buy Saints Row 2 day one and sell GTA.

Struct09 said:
:lol @ the video

Have to hand it to them, that's some smart marketing

Yeah :lol. Honestly, I enjoyed GTA IV and before it was out I thought there was absolutely no way that I'd enjoy SR2 more than GTA IV but I think I will. I don't find there to be a whole lot to do in GTA IV after completing the story, and I wasn't a big fan of the multiplayer so I think SR2 will be right up my alley.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
fistfulofmetal said:
There's a very good possibility that both of these games end up being crap, you know.

GTA is pretty damn great.. and SR2 looks pretty good so far.. soooo... you are already dead wrong about one game

LCfiner

:lol at that video. Honestly, before I even saw that, my interest was piqued by that first screenshot in the OP. Katanas are back, baby!

If they tweak the characters and story stuff to be a bit less 'gangstah' than the first, consider me sold. Heck, even if they don't, i could overlook it if the gameplay really delivers.

Blackace

LCfiner said:
:lol at that video. Honestly, before I even saw that, my interest was piqued by that first screenshot in the OP. Katanas are back, baby!

If they tweak the characters and story stuff to be a bit less 'gangstah' than the first, consider me sold. Heck, even if they don't, i could overlook it if the gameplay really delivers.

why should they do that? That was half the fun of SR. Picking up your posse and bangin on fools..

that is why GTA:SA fell a bit short because they didn't stick with the overall theme of gangsta for the whole game..

LCfiner

Blackace said:
why should they do that?

to please me?

ok, seriously, it was just a part of the game that I didn't really enjoy too much. I liked having the gang members as backup, I just got turned off by the writing :\

And, yes, I know that my opinion is not universal on the matter. :)

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
They better not test it too much though - part of the reason I'm looking forward to this is that it might mean Buggy Saints Row 2: The Musical.

mm04

I knew SR2 wouldn't let me down. From the get go, it was pretty obvious that GTA4 was going to be a more serious game. And that's great if that's what you're looking for. But when I played the original SR, I loved it because it was so over the top ridiculous. It looks like SR2 is taking it to another level. I can't wait to get it.

keyrat

Blackace said:
why should they do that? That was half the fun of SR. Picking up your posse and bangin on fools..

that is why GTA:SA fell a bit short because they didn't stick with the overall theme of gangsta for the whole game..

cause 'gangstas' are lame, especially the way they were portrayed in SR. that's definitely something GTA does well; even in SA despite the lame 'gangsta' theme that could've made it bad, the main character is always a bad ass.

Blackace

keyrat said:
cause 'gangstas' are lame, especially the way they were portrayed in SR. that's definitely something GTA does well; even in SA despite the lame 'gangsta' theme that could've made it bad, the main character is always a bad ass.

Well to each their own. But I like the "urban gangsta" setting. I don't see how they are any more lame than "mafia" "Triads", "Yakuaza" and so on..

Taking the gangsta setting out of the game early was a dumb move in GTA:SA

They had something fresh going on, and SR took and made it into a whole game. I really enjoy the setting and hope to god they don't stand by their creation and try to give the few whiners "gangsta's are stupid..." "I don't want to listen to rap music in my game." like Rock* did.

Ranger X said:
Is this coming for PS3 too?

I'm definetely interested now.

yeah it is...and I'm actually hopefull for it as Volition's R&D department has had plenty of time to get their engine running well...

...little fact, Volition was going to do a Playstation3 version of Saint's Row waaay before the 360 version came out. Obviously the 360 came first so they held off...and eventually said screw it and put those resources towards SR2

KTallguy

Banned
I personally dig the serious style of GTAIV more, but this looks like it could be fun too.

However, I'll probably not buy it. I can only handle one of these sandboxy games at a time, and I haven't even gotten through 25% of GTAIV.

I haven't played GTA:SA, but I did play a bit of the last Saints Row, and the pimp your hoes and all that humor just isn't that funny to me. I prefer the more artistic, clever, tongue and cheek R* approach.

JBuccCP

Saints Rows' story was so bad they should just skip it for II. The entire game should just be a bunch of random shit happening. One thing I thought GTA IV should have done is just have zoo animals fall randomly out of the sky. The entire Saints Row II should just be stuff like that. Like one day you turn your game on and all the peds are replaced with Sesame Street characters trying to kill you.

KTallguy

Banned
JBuccCP said:
Saints Rows' story was so bad they should just skip it for II. The entire game should just be a bunch of random shit happening. One thing I thought GTA IV should have done is just have zoo animals fall randomly out of the sky. The entire Saints Row II should just be stuff like that. Like one day you turn your game on and all the peds are replaced with Sesame Street characters trying to kill you.

Now this has potential.

yeah and I hope people quit poo-pooing the story/setting of Saint's Row2 in comparision to GTAIV,as only 1/3rd of GTAIV's story was actually worth a damn

NewLib

Banned
Discovering Insurance Fraud for the first time has to be one of my top 10 video game moments of all time.

Im dead serious. It took a game from a merely average GTA clone to a very fun game. I like to see they are building on to more of those types of concepts.

Top Bottom