• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 8: Put mii in, coach

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Like I said, look at his Final Smash. It's not really based on anything from Star Fox, and it's only there to reuse the assets/programming of Fox's Landmaster. Considering how otherwise his moveset was completely redone from Fox's, I think that's a pretty big red flag.

Yes because final smashes are an indicator to a character's "completeness".

He was added late (but Sonic was added later) but he was not incomplete.

3daysd4s9t.gif
Not to be that guy, but you forgot the s on days.

NeonZ

Yes because final smashes are an indicator to a character's "completeness".

He was added late (but Sonic was added later) but he was not incomplete.

A Final Smash is part of the character though, one of the most advertised features of Brawl, in fact. I mean, I don't see how this is even a matter worth of debate. The alternative to Wolf being incomplete is Sakurai being completely unable to conceptualize an unique Final Smash for him and setting out from the start to implement a creatively dead Landmaster repaint, which makes no sense at all. It's basically Wolf's only move that's taken straight from Fox, rather than at least receiving a new animation.

They must have ran into a wall of time or resources and sticked him with the Landmaster to focus on other content or characters. The idea that they set out from the start to give him a Landmaster just doesn't make sense.

Blues1990

Someone made this mock up after E3 last year, and I thought it was pretty good:
5W4cpYs.png

Especially that .Exe scheme. Though, now that he's part of his Final Smash, I guess that's less likely to happen.

You know, it had never clued into me that they could make these colour alt's based on how he changes colour, after obtaining a weapon in the series. But it seems more likely that he will get a Protoman costume, complete with scarf & shield.

Boss Doggie

A Final Smash is part of the character though, one of the most advertised features of Brawl, in fact. I mean, I don't see how this is even a matter worth of debate. The alternative to Wolf being incomplete is Sakurai being completely unable to conceptualize an unique Final Smash for him and setting out from the start to implement a creatively dead Landmaster repaint, which makes no sense at all. It's basically Wolf's only move that's taken straight from Fox, rather than at least receiving a new animation.

They must have ran into a wall of time or resources and sticked him with the Landmaster to focus on other content or characters. The idea that they set out from the start to give him a Landmaster just doesn't make sense.

Didn't stop Lucas, Ness, Toon Link and Link to have shared FS though.

And yes, it's just a final smash. It's even "tweaked". It's more than I can say to someone like say, Falco or Toon Link.

You know, it had never clued into me that they could make these colour alt's based on how he changes colour, after obtaining a weapon in the series. But it seems more likely that he will get a Protoman costume, complete with scarf & shield.

I hope he doesn't. Protoman is his own character.

Why wouldn't it be? The regular version of the stage is a whole planet. The world doesn't end past the horizon.

There should be a stage where the gravity works like in Mario Galaxy. Get smashed high enough and you escape the planet's gravity well and float towards your doom (powerbomb type moves stop working since, well... no gravity, no "down"). Crazier and unplayable-er stages have happened.

You think Mega Man getting a scarf and shield is more likely than him just turning green for an alternate color?

You're crazy if you think the Gematsu leak characters (if they're even legit) are the only newcomers left. We already know of 30 characters and E3 is bound to reveal 2-3 more newcomers. I doubt there would only be 2-3 secret newcomers.

Uh, I think that's ridiculously optimistic. Not saying more than one newcomer isn't happening, but ASSUMING so might lead to unnecessary disappointment.

You're crazy if you think the Gematsu leak characters (if they're even legit) are the only newcomers left. We already know of 30 characters and E3 is bound to reveal 2-3 more newcomers. I doubt there would only be 2-3 secret newcomers.
There were only 4 secret newcomers in Brawl, and one of them was Toon Link. Assuming that characters like a possibly revamped Ganondorf and a returning Mewtwo could also be secret characters, it's hardly outside the realm of possibility. You're potentially setting yourself up for disappointment.

Berordn

I can't wait until we have a thousand screenshots of the character select to inspire a whole new set of fakes.

Truly these creators are the artists of our time.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Not to be that guy, but you forgot the s on days.

I went back and check my file to see why S isn't there. I noticed that I made the font too big that it actually pushed S out of the font box. I don't know why I didn't even notice it in first place. Thank you for pointing it out.

3daysuns82.gif

Oh yeah Sunday and Monday exists

Well deduced. lol

The colleseum reveal was a pretty satisfying "last Friday" kind of unveiling and I bet that stage will be available in the demo given the context of the reveal.

I can't believe there are only 3 days left till the digital event! I work today through monday, too so time should fly.

I recently realized that next Sat is my birthday and not only will I be playing SSBU, my g.f. has decided to come along & even bring the cake she's makin (along w/ candles) so we can celebrate while in line at Best Buy LOL. What a gal.

Blues1990

I hope he doesn't. Protoman is his own character.

If he's included in the game as an unlockable trophy, especially as an assist trophy, I would be fine with that, as well. Really, costume, boss, or trophy, I would like Super Smash Bros. U to have some Protoman love in some fashion.

You think Mega Man getting a scarf and shield is more likely than him just turning green for an alternate color?

Oops. I've forgot to type about that Mega Man.EXE colour pallet being less likely to be included in the game, etc. My bad!

DaBoss

I was going to post this 2 days ago, but I got a bit lazy to do a write up and certain things distracted me lol. This is probably the last post about stuff from the Smash Direct, so here goes. Also, I may use ledge and edge interchangeably, so don't mind that.

Ledge Mechanics

Let's talk about simple things we know so far.

Backwards Ledge Grabbing
We know you can grab the ledge even if you're facing away from the ledge.
ibcIByGQJUqTGG.gif

Tether Recovery
We know more than one person can tether the ledge and it will be from a longer distance as well. It isn't clear whether one can tether the ledge even if someone is already there holding on to the ledge.
iEzF65nIyyPlM.jpg

"Pic of the day. Tether recovery? Yes, you can! And from even longer range than before. Multiple fighters can latch on--who actually grabs hold is determined by the same rules as the standard ledge grab."

And now let's go to the big kahuna.

Grabbing the Ledge and Invincibility
iRbzlegbprg6j.jpg

Pic of the day. There are many changes being made to attack and defense options for grabbing edges. In this picture, Link is actually trumping Mario's grab.

Some other changes include:
-Air time and accumulated damage will determine your period of invincibility while hanging on an edge.
-Grab controls will no longer be affected by whether you have above or below 100% damage.

Here is the Japanese version, if someone can translate it, it would be great. There could have been something lost in translation since this is a somewhat complicated PotD.
きょうの一枚。 ガケつかまりの攻防は、多くの変更点があります。写真はなんと、マリオのガケつかまりをリンクが奪っているところ。

ほかにも、 ・つかまり無敵時間は滞空時間と蓄積ダメージで決まること ・蓄積ダメージ100%より上、下での行動差がなくなったこと などがあります。

So this is my interpretation of what the pic is showing and what Sakurai means with "Link trumping Mario":
Mario did not have invincibility, so Link was able to take the ledge from him without attacking him. That's it. I think that's also the conclusion other people came to, but I don't remember.

The 100% damage thing is referring to how you would be able to hold on to the ledge for a lesser amount of time when you have 100%+ damage. It would also change your animation (slower ones) for when getting up from the ledge through various ways (attack, jump, & roll). So that's gone in SSB4.

And now onto invincibility.

Note: These are 30fps GIFs of 60fps games and I refer to the 30fps , so keep that in mind when I'm talking about frames. These are most likely inaccurate, but it gives a general idea.

Here is Brawl's ledge invincibility.
iO9jL6qPI4i2E.gif

Frame of the beginning of the ledge grab animation: 15
Frame of the last white flash: 36

So that's 21 frames of invincibility. I haven't looked at frame data extensively for Brawl (or Melee/PM), so I'm not sure about the variances depending on how you grab the ledge or which character you're using.

But that's not the important part. What's important is that we've seen some examples of how long ledge invincibility can last in Smash 4.

iOcuO5orQVtAC.gif

Frame of the beginning of the ledge grab animation: 13
Frame of the last white flash: 61

48 frames of ledge invincibility.

izg6dm1PLzeyS.gif

Frame of the beginning of the ledge grab animation: 31
Frame of the last white flash: 91

60 frames of ledge invincibility.

This is a pretty large difference and we know it has to do with amount of damage and air time. But that's not it. We've seen 0 invincibility as well.

iw7dOP5jNqido.gif
iz4TkSjf0J1T7.gif
ibaLi1X1CKFyJE.gif

I have no idea why they have no invincibility. Maybe it has something to do with whatever they're using to make the camera angle different and cause it to pan? But it does that in Little Mac's as well. I guess we'll find out eventually.

It is safe to say the edge game is now much more favorable to the player who is recovering and it seems that ledge stalling is going to be ineffective. It is going to be interesting seeing how this turns out.

Also, auto-sweetspot is back it seems. I don't think I've seen a character missing the ledge when using a recovery move and aiming for the ledge.

Kyzon

I know only newcomers get trailers, but I think Capt Falcon deserves a trailer.

Him and Ganondorf should have a trailer together. If they're even more varied from each other the trailer should show Falcon teaching Ganondorf his Special moves. Then Falcon goes "Show me your Moves", and Ganon busts out The Flame Choke and then some new moves.

Boss Doggie

Well deduced. lol

The colleseum reveal was a pretty satisfying "last Friday" kind of unveiling and I bet that stage will be available in the demo given the context of the reveal.

I can't believe there are only 3 days left till the digital event! I work today through monday, too so time should fly.

I recently realized that next Sat is my birthday and not only will I be playing SSBU, my g.f. has decided to come along & even bring the cake she's makin (along w/ candles) so we can celebrate while in line at Best Buy LOL. What a gal.

Nice!

Advanced happy bday!

Someone made this mock up after E3 last year, and I thought it was pretty good:
5W4cpYs.png

Especially that .Exe scheme. Though, now that he's part of his Final Smash, I guess that's less likely to happen.

as much as i like this, i'm going to hold out on the small glimmer of hope that the fact that they have the models for the different versions of megaman in the final smash means that they will be his alt costumes....

being able to play as legends megaman would literally make my day

I was going to post this 2 days ago, but I got a bit lazy to do a write up and certain things distracted me lol. This is probably the last post about stuff from the Smash Direct, so here goes. Also, I may use ledge and edge interchangeably, so don't mind that...

...I have no idea why they have no invincibility. Maybe it has something to do with whatever they're using to make the camera angle different and cause it to pan? But it does that in Little Mac's as well. I guess we'll find out eventually.

It is safe to say the edge game is now much more favorable to the player who is recovering and it seems that ledge stalling is going to be ineffective. It is going to be interesting seeing how this turns out.

Also, auto-sweetspot is back it seems. I don't think I've seen a character missing the ledge when using a recovery move and aiming for the ledge.

Perhaps the no invincibility is evidence of what Sakurai touched on about invincibility frames hinging on:

A. Air time &

B. Damage percentage

If you are between 0-50% and are in the air for less than a second, you get 0 frames

If you are 50% & airborne for more than a second, the amount of I. Frames ticks up until it caps out.

This whole change is going to be hella interesting indeed & good job/thanks for cracking this case wide open.

Him and Ganondorf should have a trailer together. If they're even more varied from each other the trailer should show Falcon teaching Ganondorf his Special moves. Then Falcon goes "Show me your Moves", and Ganon busts out The Flame Choke and then some new moves.

They'll be revealed together with the same movesets, and you will like it.

That sounds both awesome and incredibly sad.

Nice!

Advanced happy bday!

It shows how hyped he is. :3

You are a lucky person. Keep hold of her, forever.

It is the antithesis of sad for us and it shows how dedicated and sweet of a woman I have in my life. The whole thing came about as an afterthought b.c. we both didn't put 2&2 together that the 14th was my b.day; to us, it's just been smashfest day lol.

Thanks for the early b.day wishes guys and yes, I will hold onto her a.l.a.p. Batty, LOL.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Well deduced. lol

Happy Early Birthday! :3

Kriken

Thanks for the information DaBoss, always look forward to seeing what details you can notice. Best of luck after e3

J-Tier

So is this thread going to turn into the Pokemon thread for the weekend with every one wanting Sceptile in Smash again?
Dunno if I truly want Sceptile, but it is a logical choice. With
Mega
Sceptile being a thing now, his chances of filling the starter trio with Charizard and Greninja went up significantly in the minds of smash fans.

Top Bottom