• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lets make a Get Well card for Satoru Iwata!

Status
Not open for further replies.

L Thammy

I've heard "wish you all the best" at the end of everyday phone calls; I don't think it's inappropriate.

Guess I should post a Mii as well.
1arrdn46ctu2l_normal_face.png

Posting again to say thanks to efyu_lemonardo, TitusGroan and BGBW for sorting the images out as well as organising this card.

Lately some threads in GAF have become too cynical and some of the bile I saw spewed when Iwata announced he was sick and was avoiding the annual meeting was really =/.

I'm happy to have a contribution to this get well card =) and everyone whose posted here and contributed are great. But especially efyu_lemonardo, TitusGroan and BGBW for taking the extra effort of sorting everything out.

Kater

Banned
Thank you for all the effort, fellow GAFfers. You are making me feel so proud to be a part of this community.
And thanks to efyu_lemonardo, TitusGroan and BGBW as well. You did some awesome work!

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Well I hope so as that's basically my message as well.

Well for starters this is all the Miis that were posted by those who contributed an image. Unfortunately not all posted a Mii. If you want me to collect the rest I can.
miis.png
That looks really good!

Sorry for not responding sooner, I'm currently not near a computer. I edited my post earlier to say I think every Mii in this thread should be included, but you probably missed it since I didn't point out the edit.

So if it's not too much trouble, it would be great to have everyone's Miis.

Right, this is update control. Updated the collage with all the pics submitted so far. If no more get submitted, that puts the total at 96 art submissions, which is a really stupendous number. Well done everyone.

I had to extend the canvas a little to get everything to fit, so the image might need to be resized slightly to fit on a card dimensioned at A2 proportions, but that shouldn't be too tricky. I'm going to ask that someone else handle the actual card template, as I'm not sure I can handle finalizing a card design after all this collaging, and other people seem to have better ideas of how to make professional looking cards anyway. Efyu, if you and Cosmonaut X sort out something between you, hopefully this collage should fit in nicely. If we then put the Mii collage on the other side of the sheet, that gives us a double sided card with a contribution from everyone in this thread. Which, with all the submissions people have been putting in, is a minor miracle :p

At the very least, my block arranging skills are now sharper than they've ever been, and I feel like I could go and utterly dominate at Dr Mario.

The next stage is to get the card finalised, printed and sent. Efyu's already made arrangements on the printing and posting, but I'll leave it to him to explain those details when he's ready. Here's the collated art image. If anyone does want to make one final, last last minute contribution, there is room in the corner for one cheeky last pic if needs be.

Let me know if you want the PNG file emailed directly to you for use. IMGUR seems to have removed the alpha-channel transparency from the image, so let me know if you want the file proper.

danielcw

At the very least, my block arranging skills are now sharper than they've ever been, and I feel like I could go and utterly dominate at Dr Mario.

There is a cluster of 3 submissions featuring Kirby in the lower right corner.
Could the lowest line be rearranged, so the Kirby submissions are spread out?

How is the card/print going to be paid for?
If it has been mentioned already I missed it, sorry.

Right, this is update control. Updated the collage with all the pics submitted so far. If no more get submitted, that puts the total at 96 art submissions, which is a really stupendous number. Well done everyone.

Um well, I don't want to ruin your collage or anything but... I don't think mine is in there... <_<

Damn, just noticed that the expiry date had lapsed, well, I'm going to submit my image anyway, and if it's too late to go on, then so be it.

And here is my Mii if wanted.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Awesome work everybody!

I'll be taking care of the final steps of putting the poster together later today, before sending it over to Cheesemeister in Kyoto who will be in charge of printing and delivery.

I'll update this thread later today before doing so.

Pikma

Banned
Awesome work everybody!

I'll be taking care of the final steps of putting the poster together later today, before sending it over to Cheesemeister in Kyoto who will be in charge of printing and delivery.

That's awesome, thank you guys! :)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Awesome work everybody!

Thanks for doing this. It is probably too late but I did add the last two Miis posted to the Mii image just in case. I know they posted them well after the set deadline.

I had to extend the canvas a little to get everything to fit, so the image might need to be resized slightly to fit on a card dimensioned at A2 proportions, but that shouldn't be too tricky. I'm going to ask that someone else handle the actual card template, as I'm not sure I can handle finalizing a card design after all this collaging, and other people seem to have better ideas of how to make professional looking cards anyway. Efyu, if you and Cosmonaut X sort out something between you, hopefully this collage should fit in nicely. If we then put the Mii collage on the other side of the sheet, that gives us a double sided card with a contribution from everyone in this thread. Which, with all the submissions people have been putting in, is a minor miracle :p

The next stage is to get the card finalised, printed and sent. Efyu's already made arrangements on the printing and posting, but I'll leave it to him to explain those details when he's ready. Here's the collated art image. If anyone does want to make one final, last last minute contribution, there is room in the corner for one cheeky last pic if needs be.

Let me know if you want the PNG file emailed directly to you for use. IMGUR seems to have removed the alpha-channel transparency from the image, so let me know if you want the file proper.

Looks great! I'll take the .png file when its finalized. Thanks, :)

Shaanyboi

Banned
Kudos to all involved, but especially a big thanks to those who organized this. So awesome to see the community come together like this :)

Right, well good news and bad news. I'll start with the bad news first: I got the image as finished up as well I thought I could, then after popping it off in an email to efyu, noticed there were two images in this thread I'd missed. One from Mdk7 which I missed first time around, and one from uremifasola. I'm genuinely sorry guys. I was already struggling to fit everything into one canvas, and once I discovered I'd left those two out, I had a look to see if I could resize any images to make some room, but I don't think I can. everything's jammed together pretty tight, and I want to make sure everything stays legible.

Now the good nnews: I think efyu is still planning on having a Mii collage on the other side of the card, so I'm going to see if we could cheekily squeeze those two images there as well, where (to be fair) they'd probably stand out a lot more. I'll send efyu a message now to make sure he gets the idea promptly, and will do my best to make sure those two images are included. Adding two more art pics next to the Mii collage shouldn't be too herculean a task.

This is the collage itself. Efyu is currently working on a vector image to act as the card background, but anyone else with some design skill is more than welcome to come up with their own ideas. Just remember, the plan is for it to fit on a side of A2 paper. Once the card design is finalised and decided on, we're going to email the file to Cheesemeister, and he's going to print it out in Kyoto.

Now, I just want to say one other thing: it's important to remember that we don't know for sure what will happen once it's sent. It's pretty damn certain that the card will reach Iwata, but we don't know if he or Nintendo will post any kind of response. While it would be nice if he posted a picture of it when it arrives, it's important to remember that he's just come out of what sounds like quite a complex operation, and he's currently running one of the biggest gaming companies out there. He's a very very busy man, and it's quite likely that even if he gets the card and genuinely appreciates it, he may not have the time or energy to be able to send any kind of response. Let's keep in mind that we're not doing this for any kind of acknowledgement from Nintendo, or from anyone else, but because we want to send our best wishes to a man who's health has been suffering. If the sole outcome out of this is good karma, then that's still a pretty good outcome.

With that said, I also want to say a personal thanks to everyone who has contributed in some way in this thread. We've got more art submissions, Miis and messages of support from the community than I'm sure efyu or anyone else expected, and to see such a stand of solidarity is really something else. Everyone here has done a stupendous job, and no matter what happens once the card is in the post, you should all feel proud for the way you've come together in support. And before it goes, I'll make sure we include those last few pictures somewhere on the card where Iwata can see them.

I know at times it can be easy to assume that the GAF in NeoGAF stands for Graphics And Framerates, but right now, I like to think it stands for Gaming And Friendship, as that's what I'm seeing in this thread. Good work everyone.

Kouriozan

Awesome work everybody!

Thank you for that initiative :)

Zalman

Fantastic post, TitusGroan, and good work everyone! Are we really that confident that the card will reach Iwata though? A response from him isn't needed as the thought of him seeing it is more than enough.

Fantastic post, TitusGroan, and good work everyone! Are we really that confident that the card will reach Iwata though? A response from him isn't needed as the thought of him seeing it is more than enough.

I'm sure that if we address the card properly, the card will have no trouble reaching Iwata. CEO's get post at the office as well, and I'm sure a large card will be hard for the PA's to overlook or miss. As long as we know the Nintendo Japan address we want to send it to directly (no pun intended) I'm sure the Japanese postal service will take care of the rest.

Lernaean

Banned
Last thing i care about is if Iwata or Nintendo responds. I only care that it reaches him so maybe we can give him a big smile and some good vibes.

Mdk7

As i told Titus via PM, it kinda sucks not to be in there with you all with my contribution, but it's an oversight that might happen... so i totally still thank and applaud Titus (and everyone else) for the great work.
GG guys, we fucking ROCK.

Nanashrew

Banned
This is looking really great!

Can't wait to see the finished thing. Titus and Efyu, you guys are cool for setting this all up and coordinating this.

Koren

Damn, I'm sad I missed it, but I'm happy that it's done... I thought about how it could be a nice GAF "project" when I read the news about Iwata. Good work!

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Alright,
Below are the final changes I intend to make. These include adding the three images that didn't make it by mistake, other images that I liked and were cut that will possibly be reinserted if it helps me fill out the layout, and a few Miis I need to add in place of two duplicates, as well as helping me fill out the last row. Some of those Miis were stolen from posters who made a passing remark in this thread and happened to have them as avatars - your sacrifice is appreciated ;)

Damn, just noticed that the expiry date had lapsed, well, I'm going to submit my image anyway, and if it's too late to go on, then so be it.

Great idea, here's mine!

SpeedyRecoveryMdk7_zps77f2d024.jpg~original

Quick photoshop:

Original:
ibx5nFAmv9QtCB.png

300x250:
ibodPudT1Uuj2c.png
Rough idea of what I had in mind, using the silhouette of the PET as a mask. I've borrowed 4chan's card art (sorry, guys - just using it as an example) to show roughly what it might look like. The greeting at the bottom is - Google tells me - the polite form of "get well soon", but if you were going for something like this I'd suggest getting someone like Cheese to check translations so it could be set in kanji.

GetWellIwata.jpg

EDIT:

Using a more front-on silhouette of the screen and base would give more room for images to be contained within, so it may be a better way to go here.

Edit:

Samurai_Heart hooked me up these because he's a good guy.

Edit2:

If we do the Miiverse idea, then I did this:

zlCfzSFgcucTbMOKOz

Shamelessly stolen from your GAF avatar, thanks for posting in here!
Tyeforce said:

Get well soon, Mr. Iwata, and be sure to eat your bananas! Please understand, they're loaded with potassium!

tumblr_m55ytlGHrq1qcv0h3.jpg

Yes, here's an example (i.e. not my submission) of me just running an image through Photoshop to make it look like a Miiverse image that someone spent hours on.
kUPtn51.png

Maaaybe I can extract the Mii out of this one and add it...
zuempjw.jpg

Just woke up and saw this thread. I'm in!

I'll work on a get well image in a bit and edit it into my post when I can.

My pic for the collage

pso2LWV.png

Hm, I read too late about the miiverse style idea. Here are my submissions and my mii so far. If it is settled that we are using miiverse style stuff, it is back to the drawing board for mii.

UFVDEuJ.jpg

SDwpjIz.jpg

Suggesting this mockup for the reverse of the card, if you end up going that way and if it's more suitable to embody the "sea of Miis" idea, representing everyone who is wishing him well, with a suitable message from all printed at the bottom.

GetWellIwata4.jpg

hijacking your avatar, thanks for posting in this thread!
frequency said:

will try to extract mii from this one
Chû Totoro;118060697 said:

will try to extract mii
gutebesserung.jpg

My gimp skillz

Could you replace my previous one?

31599isrr.png

may use this along with the miis because I find it funny
MisterHero said:

Axass

I know at times it can be easy to assume that the GAF in NeoGAF stands for Graphics And Framerates, but right now, I like to think it stands for Gaming And Friendship, as that's what I'm seeing in this thread. Good work everyone.

Nice words, and thanks for your efforts!

Can't wait to see the whole thing finalized. I'm sure Iwata will be happy about it, I really, really want him to see it. I hope everything goes according to plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom