• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lets make a Get Well card for Satoru Iwata!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RM8

FJ2pgI7.png

8PYyGOm.png

Toadette is supposedly doing the Iwata hand thing, but I failed, lol. The nurse hat gets the point across, I guess.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
It's mediocre, but it's the best I could do. Here's mine!

It's good, don't be too hard on yourself. Much better than I could do!

Here's my humble contribution. I had so much fun drawing it :)

Excellent cards/artworks and good vibes, everyone! If Iwata sees them he will literally get better in a blink!

Wow man. That's amazingly good! Great job :)

Everyone is providing such awesome contributions, good work everyone :)

CTLance

There's some serious talent in this thread. Damn you, guys.

My amazing masterpiece got eaten by MS Paint because it apparently ran out of memory on a 16GB workstation while working on a 350x200 black and white picture. I shall pretend that a picture of Kirby battling a missingno was simply too awesome to be contained by the likes of Paint.

Can't start a new one since break is almost over and I still need to grab a bite. Will try to doodle something while watching WC tonight, I guess.

Bert

Just wanted to add my 2p worth on the names thing.

I think names are important, sure "Iain Fletcher" (that's me) might not mean anything, but it attaches a human identity and makes it a little more real.

But I'm not bothered either way, I just think if I received a card I'd like to know the names of the people.

Axass

I went with something a little different because we have lots of Kirby, Earthbound and Baloon Fight already; I'm afraid it's a rather quick photoshop work, I'm no artist. :/

tWpNt8Z.png

Will post my Mii later, hopefully before the deadline.

EDIT - Other version, use whichever you prefer:

nWKq0c7.png

jts

...hate me...
I went with something a little different because we have lots of Kirby, Earthbound and Baloon Fight already; I'm afraid it's a rather quick photoshop work, I'm no artist. :/

tWpNt8Z.png

Will post my Mii later, hopefully before the deadline.
No, that's really good. Did you think about using the Wii U's "U" instead of "you"? Could work along the theme.

Axass

No, that's really good. Did you think about using the Wii U's "U" instead of "you"? Could work along the theme.

Thanks. Thought about it at first, then decided not too, because I liked the lonely orange "core" in between the black words, did a second version though, you guys can use whichever you prefer for the card:

nWKq0c7.png

Also I kept the black and orange theme because it's a stealth NeoGAF reference.

Herne

I have absolutely no art skills to speak of - being unable to draw straight even with a ruler - but I managed to knock this piece of non-effort together.

iwata.png

Hey everyone,

Just thought I'd post an update. At efyu's request, I've been working on a template to potentially use for the card itself. I don't want to presume that this will be the final thing, and will happily admit that I'm only an amateur designer at best, so if anyone is unhappy with it, would like to alter it our flat-out think they could do a more professional job, by all means please say so. Here it is without any pics attached so far:

I'm probably going to take the basic template, and load it into a larger canvas, and set the pixel resolution to 300dpi or so. That way, all the pictures should still look clear and sharp, even when shrunk down. I'm going to do another tally of pictures in just a moment, but I think we're around the 70 images mark or so, which is pretty great.

If anyone wants to take this template and run with it, rework it, or just flat out say they'd prefer something else, please say so. For the time being, I'm going to spend a little more time playing with the size and resolution, then I'll start loading pics onto it and laying them out.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
What are you currently using for software, TitusGroan, is it Photoshop? I normally use Indesign when it comes to layout for print stuff, and then the vector elements I produce in Illustrator. There are trials readily available for this, so I suggest for best possible outcome in print you'll look into that. The NeoGAF logo is also available in vector format directly from the source, so use that: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/images/neogaf2/sprite.svg

The Boat

Here is my contribution, was going to make a drawing, but came up with this one:

nS9Jcd3.jpg

Small:
2KnPzDb.png

My Mii:
U2KaNt8.png

EDIT: The characters not lining up annoyed me, fixed it.
EDIT 2: Not crazy about the font, but I'm no good with this kind of stuff :p

Rösti;118220543 said:
What are you currently using for software, TitusGroan, is it Photoshop? I normally use Indesign when it comes to layout for print stuff, and then the vector elements I produce in Illustrator. There are trials readily available for this, so I suggest for best possible outcome in print you'll look into that. The NeoGAF logo is also available in vector format directly from the source, so use that: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/images/neogaf2/sprite.svg

I'm currently using GIMP, as its the imaging software I mess around with the most. Like I said, amateur artist here. I'm going to download a trial of Indesign and try using that, as it sounds much handier for what we need. I think I have Illustrator somewhere too, so I'll recreate it in vector form for minimum jaggies. That is if people are happy with the general design and idea. If not, I'll be more than happy for someone else to take the lead. I don't want to hog this or anything, and started working on this just to make sure we had at ;east one template.

Kater

Banned
Here is my contribution, was going to make a drawing, but came up with this one:

nS9Jcd3.jpg

Small:
2KnPzDb.png

That's really cute and creative. Kudos :)

Axass

Hey everyone,

Just thought I'd post an update. At efyu's request, I've been working on a template to potentially use for the card itself. I don't want to presume that this will be the final thing, and will happily admit that I'm only an amateur designer at best, so if anyone is unhappy with it, would like to alter it our flat-out think they could do a more professional job, by all means please say so. Here it is without any pics attached so far:

wHakKiM.png

I'm probably going to take the basic template, and load it into a larger canvas, and set the pixel resolution to 300dpi or so. That way, all the pictures should still look clear and sharp, even when shrunk down. I'm going to do another tally of pictures in just a moment, but I think we're around the 70 images mark or so, which is pretty great.

If anyone wants to take this template and run with it, rework it, or just flat out say they'd prefer something else, please say so. For the time being, I'm going to spend a little more time playing with the size and resolution, then I'll start loading pics onto it and laying them out.

So, the screen is going to be filled with the cards, and the back with the Miis, but is the green part going to be cut afterwards, so that it actually looks like a trapezoid, or is it going to stay? Because if it's the latter, I really dislike that soft green. Also shouldn't the word PET be somewhere on the computer, or else the original reference is kinda lost, no?

Aside from that it looks good to me.

OK, so I've been tweaking the image, and settled on an A2 size layout with a resolution of 150ppi (trying to go to 300ppi on a canvas that big sadly made my computer memory cry). I've added all the art submissions put in this thread so far, and tried to shrink them down so that they all fit, but also that they're all still legible. If you view the image at 1:1, hopefully you'll see that each one is still readable at the given size. I had to get a little creative with the layout, as a lot of the images were in different formats and ratios, but I think it makes for a much better effect. I added a few small images of my own just to help fill gaps, hopefully you can spot them.

Click on the quote to see it 1:1 (EDIT actually slightly larger than 1:1, but the print settings are set to 420x594mm, and the ratios are all correct)

There's still some room at the bottom, enough for another 9 or 10 images I reckon if we want. If there's space left over tomorrow, we could use it as a space to put a crowd of GAF Miis, plaza style, which would save us having to put them all on the back. Anyways, I'm going to give it a rest this evening I think. It's still a work in progress, so hopefully tomorrow we'll start to have something ready to print.

So, the screen is going to be filled with the cards, and the back with the Miis, but is the green part going to be cut afterwards, so that it actually looks like a trapezoid, or is it going to stay? Because if it's the latter, I really dislike that soft green. Also shouldn't the word PET be somewhere on the computer, or else the original reference is kinda lost, no?

Aside from that it looks good to me.

It's going to be printed (hopefully) on A2 paper, so I figure we leave the bit behind the monitor there to act as a bit of contrast, and to keep it easy to layout on paper. Duly noted on the green, I've changed it to a softer yellow for the time being (trying to think nice, sunny colours) but will happily take any suggestions.

Regarding the P E T letters, I did think about it, but I quite liked the idea of taking the letters G A F and putting there instead, next to the GAF logo. The important thing for me is to show that this is an effort from the GAF community as a whole, and I think the logo and letters can act as a sort of community signature. Hopefully the shape of the monitor and the 'personal comupter' line still convey the idea of a PET monitor.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Great work TitusGroan!

I'm throwing my own layout suggestion into the mix to give more options, so that all you guys in the thread can comment. Everyone else is obviously welcome to provide their own layouts, or combinations of previous designs.

there's less than 24 hours before the deadline for individual submissions, lets try to get the layout finalized at the same time.

keep up the great work everyone!

Also, I've saved the collage of art cubmissions as a transparent layer, so if anyone wants to use it in their own card layout, just download and paste. There's no reason for all of us to sit up all evening arranging pictures if one of us has already done it after all :p

Some things to consider if the PET computer is to be incorporated:

- The monitor screen is surrounded by a large black isosceles trapezoid, and only at the edges do you see a thin gray border for the shell of the monitor

- The PET logo doesn't show up until the computer base, which the logo is set on a dark plate strip going across. This plate is used entirely for logos and branding so it is a good place to put NeoGAF logo, PET Computer, etc.

- Below that you get to the keyboard and cassette tape loader. Since this most likely won't be used for anything, this can be drawn at a sharp angle folding up to conserve canvas space.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?

perhaps something like this?

trying to incorporate the miis as a background, (the miis in this image are taken from an image I found online, and are just for layout testing purposes). As a test I just tiled some of the individual pictures from TitusGroan's work.

Lebon14

On twitter, there's an hashtag called #BananasForIwata that just sprung up.
Would be cool if we would send our wishes that way too :)

AdanVC

Those layouts are looking excellent, guys!

It's good, don't be too hard on yourself. Much better than I could do!

Wow man. That's amazingly good! Great job :)

Everyone is providing such awesome contributions, good work everyone :)

Love this caricature!

Thank you very much! :D

nS9Jcd3.jpg

Small:
2KnPzDb.png

This is excellent. Such a great idea.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Also, I've saved the collage of art cubmissions as a transparent layer, so if anyone wants to use it in their own card layout, just download and paste. There's no reason for all of us to sit up all evening arranging pictures if one of us has already done it after all :p

You should save it as PNG instead of JPEG, as that's quite lossy.

braves01

Banned
Here's my crappy low res paint contribution. Fun fact I learned one day: Iwata programmed the fish in balloon fight. It actually swims back and forth constantly behind the water, but only comes up if you're near it when it's crossing by, so it's not actually a random thing.

YxhoX01.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom