• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lets make a Get Well card for Satoru Iwata!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The kirby mii image for the back is a great idea.
Oh wait, it's 350 x 200 now? Dang, I made mine 300 x 250.

Yep, just looking at the thread seems the majority did that size (or more sqaure proportions)

Waiting to see what the OP says, if I change it or not.

EDIT

We'll be stitching up images of various sizes, in a sort of quilt form, so I believe we'll be able to manage slight variations from the recommended size.

More importantly, these guidelines are intended for GAFfers who haven't submitted work yet. As for what's already available, we'll work with what we have.

Ok, leaving my drawing as it is right now. Hope is not too troublesome.

frequency

Suggesting this mockup for the reverse of the card, if you end up going that way and if it's more suitable to embody the "sea of Miis" idea, representing everyone who is wishing him well, with a suitable message from all printed at the bottom.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/buttonman/GetWellIwata4.jpg

I like this. With a collective (simple) get well message in the middle. It is simple and looking at it and seeing all those Miis, to me, is an immediate and strong message: All these people wish you well.

Herne

Very nice, Cosmonaut. I want in on this!

Edit - Never mind, got it.

2s8t24rxpr66v_normal_face.png

Hope he gets well soon :)

Clefargle

Sorry for not being more responsive, real life commitments getting in the way and all that :/

In order to get this thing back on track I suggest laying down the following guidelines, which I'll add to the OP if there are no serious objections:

1. Image size can be anything up to 300x250. Myself and a few others will create a sort of quilt pattern, resizing images as we see fit. Hopefully this will also allow us to put more emphasis on the more visually striking pieces. This is also meant to encourage those of us that are less artistically inclined to participate.
  2. You can make your image in any style you like: black and white (miiverse style), original art, rudimentary paint image, etc. The important thing is to make it genuine and try to be creative.
  3. No user names, and I'm leaning towards not even mentioning GAF by name. Personal Miis are ok, but shouldn't be the center of attention.
  4. I'll be setting a deadline for submissions for Thursday, June 26, 10:00 AM PST (1:00 PM EST, 5:00 PM UTC, June 27 2:00 AM Tokyo, 3:00 AM Sydney).

My personal Mii has the same username as here on GAF, and I posted my image before all this retroactive talk of prohibiting usernames. I think they make it more personal, therefore I'm going to assume My image is grandfathered in. I like personal getwell cards when I receive them, don't understand all the outrage, we aren't /v/, we aren't all anonymous, why get caught up trying to stay close to their format?

I'm not really talented but I think it'll do it :)

FujB3m9.png

OP, you can resize or paste it on a template so it can fit requirements if not ok like that.

Thanks ! ^^

Edit : 350x200

My personal Mii has the same username as here on GAF, and I posted my image before all this retroactive talk of prohibiting usernames. I think they make it more personal, therefore I'm going to assume My image is grandfathered in. I like personal getwell cards when I receive them, don't understand all the outrage, we aren't /v/, we aren't all anonymous, why get caught up trying to stay close to their format?

This isn't about /v/ or 4chan or whatever.

We're a community that's sending a get well message.

I think communities should have a single voice of solidarity, and usernames / real names detract from the community's message.

Gamerloid

Not sure how to get my Mii, but I guess that's not important anyway. Plus linking my NNID messed up my Mii anyway...

I'll have my submission before the deadline.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
These are all great! Keep 'em coming GAF!

TitusGroan is already working on what will hopefully be the final layout, incorporating images as they appear. Feel free to contact him if you want to help.

My side of the planet is currently deep in shadow, so I'll be seeing you all in a few hours.

In the mean time, if anybody in Japan GAF is reading this thread, we could use some help finding a good print shop in Kyoto that will accept submissions via email or online, and can give a price estimate for both A2 and A3 sized prints. Final size will be determined by the amount of submissions, the layout of the final composition, and price if necessary.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
New image:

4Js6P9H.jpg

I deleted my old one because this is far better IMO.

Mii in case you don't have it:
PK2gBfy.png

I just saw the size constraints. I just used Imgur's resizing tool even though that is probably a bad idea (and I was gonna upload a new image but somebody already quoted mine which is 294x250 now or should be.)

Image in my post is currently 294x250, but if you want a nice even 300x250 I can provide that too.

I made this 300x250 like the OP says, if I need to resize it then PLEASE let me know.

tP3SR60.png

Edit: Here's my Mii separate if you end up posting them on the back side or something else.

3f32t66lw47ik_normal_face.png

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'll be totally frank here, I think the Miis in pics look rather ugly, especially as it will lead to inconsistencies since not everyone is doing it.

RiggyRob

Guys I got Kirby, Earthbound and Balloon Fight, what other games did Iwata have a significant hand in?

Pokemon Gold/Silver: https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Iwata-As...Just-Being-President-Was-A-Waste--225951.html.

Iwata: Although I wasn't working for Nintendo at that stage, I ended up acting as a go-between for Nintendo and you for some reason. (laughs)

Ishihara: That's right.

Iwata: At that time I wasn’t a Nintendo employee but was President of HAL Laboratory. At the same time, I was a board member at Creatures Inc. and I ended up being involved in analysing the best way to localise the overseas versions of Red and Green. For that reason, I got hold of the source code for Red and Green and I would study that and suggest ways to localise it to the relevant department at Nintendo.

Ishihara: At the same time, Pokémon Stadium16 came out...
Pokémon Stadium was a game released in Japan on 1st August 1998 for Nintendo 64 that allowed players to have battles between 3D Pokémon and manage their Pokédex. It was compatible with Pokémon Red, Green, Blue and Yellow.

Iwata: Right. (laughs) You decided to release Pokémon Stadium for the Nintendo 64 and the first task was to analyse Red and Green’s battle logic and send it over to Miyamoto-san and his team. You’d normally expect there to be a specification document, but there was nothing of the sort…

Morimoto: I’m so sorry! (laughs)

Iwata: No, no, it’s fine! (laughs) Studying the program for the Pokémon battle system was part of my job.

Morimoto: I created that battle programme and it really took a long time to put together. But when I heard that Iwata-san had been able to port it over in about a week and that it was already working… Well, I thought: “What kind of company president is this!?” (laughs)

All: (laughter)

Morimoto: I was saying things like: “Is that guy a programmer? Or is he the President?” (laughs)

Iwata: To be blunt, at the time I was more of a programmer than I was a company president. (laughs)

Morimoto: (laughs) I was really taken aback that you could get to grips with such a complicated programme in such a short space of time.

Ishihara: I remember thinking that there just weren’t that many people out there who would be able to read the entire Game Boy source code, which was by no means written in a highly-refined programming language, and grasp how everything connected with everything else. So Iwata-san, you analysed the whole thing and reworked the code, decided on the way to localise Red and Green, got the battle system running on N64… I was gobsmacked that you managed all of that…

Iwata: Well, at the time, I felt that for the whole team at Nintendo, the biggest priority was not to do anything that would adversely influence the development of Gold and Silver. So I very naturally slotted in on the development side for Pokémon.

Morimoto: What's more, there were the tools for compressing the Pokémon graphic code…

Iwata: Ah yes, the compression tools.

Morimoto: You were kind enough to create those tools.

Iwata: Yes. (laughs) Well, I had heard from Ishihara-san that you’d been rather concerned about it.

Morimoto: At that point, we got a little carried away and were making all sorts of demands, saying: “This part isn’t quite right – do you think you could fix it?” We had some nerve to be making those requests to a company president… (laughs)

Iwata: Well, I was willing to do whatever I could! (laughs)

Ishihara: It would have been a waste to just have you as President! (laughs)

All: (laughter)

Nanashrew

Banned
Just woke up and saw this thread. I'm in!

Here's my Mii!

2cc7cv2t5sz1s_normal_face.png

I'll work on a get well image in a bit and edit it into my post when I can.

My pic for the collage

pso2LWV.png

You know what? I can do better!

Here's my revision. I should have started with a huge canvas from the beginning.
hyks9iT.png

I overestimated myself, but I tried.

BVDUCnA.png

I blazed through the previous pages but I'm not sure I understood perfectly, should I post my Mii picture too?

Hey guys,

just to give you a heads up: I've been downloading and saving your images as and when they appear, and have been working on a picture to act as a possible card template. There have been some other posters in this thread showing some great ideas for card templates, so I don't want to assume that my template will be the final one, but it's something we should be able to use if we want come Thursday. The thinking right now is to go forwards with the Commodore PET monitor idea, and have the images presented on the screen. Again though, that's one idea, and I am only one contributor on this thing. If anyone's got an idea or a template for a card that they think would be the dog's bollocks, then by all means mention it to efyu or myself.

At my last count there were around 42 art images submitted so far, and there have been a few more posted since then (had to catch up on GoT, apologies) so I estimate we've got around 50 art submissions so far. That's a really great number, and I think you should all feel proud of yourselves for that. There are some really creative pieces here, and they all share a feeling of goodwill, which is what we want. There's tomorrow and Thursday as well, so we should end up with a hefty amount of pictures by the time this is through..

Regarding Mii posts and general messages of support, there are a few more things that probably need to be finalised, so I'll definitely bring these up with efyu. One of the main points of discussion has been about posting messages and names versus anonymity, and I think this is a delicate subject. Valid points have been made about the idea that posting names and Miis may detract somewhat from the message, and serve more as an ego booster, but at the same time I think we want to make sure we're not sending this card completely anonymously. We want Iwata to know that this is a community message of support, so my idea at present is to have a Neogaf logo on the front of the card, then leave the art submissions as they are, without names attached. Regarding Miis, I think that depends with how much space we have left. If we get more art submissions, then I think we will need all the front of the card to display them all, but we don't want to exclude those who haven't been able to make a picture. As such, I'll probably suggest to efyu that on the reverse of the card, we have an image with all the collated Miis from the thread in a crowd together, again with no names attached. Hopefully that should be inclusive enough that everyone in this thread feels like they've contributed.

That should come to two sides of A2 paper, which with any luck we'll be able to get printed double-sided. Efyu's been putting the word out, and the plan is to find a Kyoto-based printers or stationers who'll be able to print it nice and locally for us, but if worst comes to the worst, I can always print it out here then send it first class overseas.

I just wanted to say that it is really nice to see so many people get involved. GAF sometimes has a reputation for being somewhat cynical and divided on various gaming topics, so it is genuinely lovely and heartwarming to see people come together to give their support on something. I won't say too much until we know the card is printed and in the post on the way to Kyoto HQ, but I think this is something we can all feel good about. Regardless of what's happened over the last year or two, Iwata has always been a great, personable and friendly face for gaming, and it's a real shame to see his health negatively affecting him at the moment. This will be our chance to send a message directly to him, and I think it's going to be a real message of warmth and support.

I'm sadly going to go to bed now, as I have work tomorrow, but I'll be checking in on the thread throughout the day, and will be collating more images when I get back tomorrow afternoon/evening. Good going team.

EDIT

Also, just to add, don't worry too much about making sure pics are the correct size. However many pictures we end up with will most likely dictate how large each image will be, and the wonders of modern digital technology mean you can scale anything larger or smaller now without any bother. My advice is keep things simple, colourful and uncomplicated.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I fucking hate myself for not being able to create an image to post on the card, but wanna say you guys are the best

AdanVC

Here's my humble contribution. I had so much fun drawing it :)

228r5fj.jpg

My Mii:
28vx93qj6alwv_normal_face.png

And here just posting the bigger version.
oGXZOKE.jpg

Excellent cards/artworks and good vibes, everyone! If Iwata sees them he will literally get better in a blink!

These are looking great so far!

Half-way through drawing mine, but while it's just meant to be harmless gag would doing a parody of that 90's Mario Bros. film be in bad taste? Or am I being paranoid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom