• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GRID: Autosport |OT| Zippin' Up My Boots, Goin' Back To My Roots, Yeah

Skyzard

Banned
Good shout on the qualifying prompt, will note it down.

We are looking into a rear view mirror, again, will keep you posted.

Awesome to hear, a dedicated rear-view mirror on the second screen would be sweet!

I'm having a lot of fun with the game still. I watched the complaints video and I could understand if he had his hopes set on the new cockpits. For me, that view he (finally) also mentions near the end, which is like a dashboard camera, is even better of an angle - although with some cars you can still see some of the roughness from the edges of the inside of the car, it's not really noticeable while you are driving and the rest of the game looks pretty great.

Very clean but impressive.
The road and curb/grass aren't shabby at all despite not being part of the hi-res pack (afaik).

Ryne

I find it a bit hard to see the corner line, it blends in with the track. Maybe it is the camera angle as mentioned previously.

Mobius 1

Ended up buying the PS3 version, and enjoying quite a bit. I'm disappointed at the image quality, though dropping the gamma -1 helped with contrast.

Good step on the right direction there Codies. Now... don't screw up the next DiRT.

jett

D-Member
What happened to the people that made GRID 1? Why can't Codemasters make a racer that simply plays like that? I'm finding this game a bit frustrating, although it's a strange mix of stress and slight exhilaration sometimes. :p Feels like I'm about to lose control of my vehicle at any given time, and that I have to memorize the tracks before even attempting an event. Then again I'm playing without racing lines and with manual transmission. Should I just enable racing lines?

Maybe I'm just super rusty on this simcade stuff, but GA feels way more simmy than Grid 1.

Feels like I'm about to lose control of my vehicle at any given time, and that I have to memorize the tracks before even attempting an event. Then again I'm playing without racing lines and with manual transmission. Should I just enable racing lines?

Maybe I'm just super rusty on this simcade stuff, but GA feels way more simmy than Grid 1.

Enable full racing lines for at least the practise sessions/qualifying. I can't do without them for at least the first 5 races on a given track.

When you're confident enough with the track, disable them for bonus XP.

I assume you've already got all driving assists off. The game is quite unforgiving with the skidding, and you definitely can't oversteer whilst pushing the throttle 100%, else spinouts are guaranteed, especially with the highpowered supercars/GT class/openwheel Formula C vehicles. Just like irl. Save the full throttle only for straights, I find that you've got to slide across corners while playing with the throttle and tapping the steering to nudge your car in a given direction. Continuous motions with the steering in a single direction is just asking for trouble at higher speeds.

hamchan

What happened to the people that made GRID 1? Why can't Codemasters make a racer that simply plays like that? I'm finding this game a bit frustrating, although it's a strange mix of stress and slight exhilaration sometimes. :p Feels like I'm about to lose control of my vehicle at any given time, and that I have to memorize the tracks before even attempting an event. Then again I'm playing without racing lines and with manual transmission. Should I just enable racing lines?

If you don't know the tracks then yeah, enable racing lines until you memorise the correct braking points and appropriate speed to take the corners.

I don't have many memories of Grid 1 but I wouldn't be surprised if it's more simmy now after the backlash Grid 2 had from being arcadey.

mgcastro

Purchased the game last night, got to play it just now. Thank you Codemasters, I'm loving every single bit of it so far.

TJP

Holy shit at his Lewis Hamilton comment.
Apologies regarding the offensive comment as I missed hearing it.

something about needing some black paint to look like him, the guy is a total knob but he's right about the mirrors.
Again, I apologise for missing the Hamilton comment; he is correct about the useless mirrors.

i don't care about the low quality cockpits, unblur that shit and give me some mirrors in patch 1.
The people at RD are already on the modding hunt: http://www.racedepartment.com/forums/grid-autosport-mods.355/

3917-1403955326-a3c1f4b43271052329c0cd47678d9819.jpg
http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/grid-autosport-fix-mirrors-betterrflex.2583/ Keep in mind these fixes are WIP and may cause issues with save games and online play.

I'd like a few audio fixes:
  • My crew chief fails to inform me as to what my grid position is during qualifying until I've nearly completed the second lap of three qualifying laps.
  • Requesting a check of the split times between myself and the AI during a race results in the crew chief first informing me of my qualifying position and then telling me the gap.
Not audio related:
  • Running Grid in benchmark mode with unfelttled Ultra settings (1920x1080 res, HD textures installed, stock clock 2GB EVGA GTX 680 (latest beta drivers) & stock i5 2500K). Average framerate is in the low 100 fps range; I see no stuttering issues during gameplay with 16 cars on track in career mode.
  • Running Grid in benchmark mode with Ultra setting and enabling Soft AO, Global Illumination & Advanced Lighting sees the average framerate drop into the low 80's (AV FPS="80.133949" MAX FPS="95.692978" MIN FPS="61.653740"). I see frame rate drop and stuttering issues occur during gameplay with 16 cars on track in career mode.
FWIW, I don't have a single issue running Grid 2 at its maximum settings. Ultra settings with Soft AO, Global Illumination & Advanced Lighting on results in an average of 87fps (AV FPS="86.666115" MAX FPS="115.456879" MIN FPS="67.789536). I have zero stutters, hitching and frame rate drops when playing against a full grid of AI cars in career mode.

I'd like a few audio fixes:
My crew chief fails to inform me as to what my grid position is during qualifying until I've nearly completed the second lap of three qualifying laps.

I noticed this too, and I thought it was a bug, until I realized that the crew chief will only tell you your grid position once EVERY A.I/opponent car on the track has completed the first qualifying lap, beacuse until that occurs, the positions are still in flux.

E.g. If you did the best lap during the first one, he'll only confirm it once every other A.I car has done the first lap itself. No earlier or later, and since the racers are staggered, there are definitely A.I cars still doing the first lap even as you're doing the 2nd one.

nasanu

Banned
Game is now out on Steam worldwide, enjoy :)

Enjoy? I'd like to.

Did you guys even test it with a wheel? Granted I don't have other wheels to compare with, but with a T500RS Autosport is horrible. Turn the wheel and nothing much happens. Turning 'saturation' (nobody at codemasters could come up with a better description for that?... Really?) down to around 30-40% helps, but it still feels bad. The game detects the wheel so why can't it also apply good settings? I expect quite a lot better from a developer like CodeMasters.

Now I know CM has denied this strongly in the past, but still CM games drive like the car is turning from a central pivot rather than the front wheels. It just feels strange when you turn. Sure its not meant to be a sim, I get that but it should still resemble a car in the way it drives.

I think you have a solid game engine and solid enough graphics, but tweaks to the driving model and especially wheel settings would go a long way.

nasanu

Banned
Holy shit at his Lewis Hamilton comment.

So you tell me what he would need to do to make himself look like Lewis? Changing the appearance of hair as he mentioned is OK right? But changing the appearance of another body part is racist?

Tackle racism when and where it appears, not simply when certain words are used in combination without necessarily involving any racism at all.

MJLord

So you tell me what he would need to do to make himself look like Lewis? Changing the appearance of hair as he mentioned is OK right? But changing the appearance of another body part is racist?

Tackle racism when and where it appears, not simply when certain words are used in combination without necessarily involving any racism at all.

Wow what climbed up your arse this morning.

EDIT: Can I get added to the GAF club please? name: luckielordie

Lego Boss

In between catering/enetertaining/running around for my two daughters and watching the World Cup, I've managed to get a few hours on this over weekend and it is really good. Is it as polished and visceral as Shift 2? No. But the AI is certainly comparable and it's a class apart from Grid 2 in terms of handling. Blasting out of the corners in a touring car feeels just like it should and even the blurry cockpits can't really ruin it for me.

Top job Codies and another argument against going Next Gen (until PCars at any rate!)

TJP

I noticed this too, and I thought it was a bug, until I realized that the crew chief will only tell you your grid position once EVERY A.I/opponent car on the track has completed the first qualifying lap, beacuse until that occurs, the positions are still in flux.

E.g. If you did the best lap during the first one, he'll only confirm it once every other A.I car has done the first lap itself. No earlier or later, and since the racers are staggered, there are definitely A.I cars still doing the first lap even as you're doing the 2nd one.
Thanks for the info; I thought it was strange to not hear anything until towards the end of lap two however what you posted makes a lot of sense.

Mascot

What the... I don't even... how the hell... but surely...

Ah, never mind. I stand by my original post which was no more, no less, than: Holy shit at his Lewis Hamilton comment.

jett

D-Member
Enable full racing lines for at least the practise sessions/qualifying. I can't do without them for at least the first 5 races on a given track.

When you're confident enough with the track, disable them for bonus XP.

I assume you've already got all driving assists off. The game is quite unforgiving with the skidding, and you definitely can't oversteer whilst pushing the throttle 100%, else spinouts are guaranteed, especially with the highpowered supercars/GT class/openwheel Formula C vehicles. Just like irl. Save the full throttle only for straights, I find that you've got to slide across corners while playing with the throttle and tapping the steering to nudge your car in a given direction. Continuous motions with the steering in a single direction is just asking for trouble at higher speeds.

If you don't know the tracks then yeah, enable racing lines until you memorise the correct braking points and appropriate speed to take the corners.

I don't have many memories of Grid 1 but I wouldn't be surprised if it's more simmy now after the backlash Grid 2 had from being arcadey.

I guess I'll just enable them, thanks. I do have some assists enabled, playing with medium's default settings. You know what I liked in the first GRID? The simple blinking red light that just suggested you need to lower your speed before a corner. Is there something like that here?

Driving feels all right, although like I said more unwieldy than I was expecting. I did one drifting event yesterday and this is how I felt:

i-have-no-idea-what-im-doing-dog.jpg

Lego Boss

I guess I'll just enable them, thanks. I do have some assists enabled, playing with medium's default settings. You know what I liked in the first GRID? The simple blinking red light that just suggested you need to lower your speed before a corner. Is there something like that here?

Driving feels all right, although like I said more unwieldy than I was expecting. I did one drifting event yesterday and this is how I felt:

i-have-no-idea-what-im-doing-dog.jpg

Touche, I'm sure that Drift events are put into VGs just to appease some guy with a tablet who's got it as a 'Must Have' in racing games. I love all the other disciplines (playing on hard with only ABS assists), but drifting is some kind of extra terrestial being. No idea what it's doing in this game. I wonder if PCars will have it too?

Aerocrane

Touche, I'm sure that Drift events are put into VGs just to appease some guy with a tablet who's got it as a 'Must Have' in racing games. I love all the other disciplines (playing on hard with only ABS assists), but drifting is some kind of extra terrestial being. No idea what it's doing in this game. I wonder if PCars will have it too?

I liked drifting in Race Driver: GRID and GRID 2. I dislike the scoring mechanic used in Autosport since it puts emphasis on the angle of the drift over speed and duration. The drifting is a bit difficult especially with the keyboard when driving the Mazda RX-7. The RX-7 oversteers really easily, making it more difficult to maintain a longer drift.

MJLord

I liked drifting in Race Driver: GRID and GRID 2. I dislike the scoring mechanic used in Autosport since it puts emphasis on the angle of the drift over speed and duration. The drifting is a bit difficult especially with the keyboard when driving the Mazda RX-7. The RX-7 oversteers really easily, making it more difficult to maintain a longer drift.

Wooaaahhhhh backup. Keyboard? Are you a wizard? :p

Lego Boss

LULZ. You can come and do my drifting events with your keyboard if you like. It must be like going skiing on tin trays . . . .

Aerocrane

Level 90 wizard :O

Wooaaahhhhh backup. Keyboard? Are you a wizard? :p

LULZ. You can come and do my drifting events with your keyboard if you like. It must be like going skiing on tin trays . . . .

I've always played racing games with a keyboard, starting with Rally Trophy back in 2002. I have to keep TC and ABS on for normal racing events. I do have a Xbox 360 controller for Windows, but the left stick pulls slightly to the left constantly so I don't use it.

EDIT: recorded some drifting gameplay from the tuner discipline racenet challenge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O5m8fx1BdY

Aerocrane

I seem to be the only person getting exp for the club D:

Also, the livery needs some work ;)

Bother Megasoum about the livery. I've played a handful of events online, but it doesn't seem to have registered on the club page.

That was better than any of my Drifting attempts D:

It takes a lot of practice to get good. I spent about hour and a half getting familiar with the drifting using the new handling model and trying out the different drifting category 2 cars, just retrying the racenet challenge over and over again.

Megasoum

Banned
Bother Megasoum about the livery. I've played a handful of events online, but it doesn't seem to have registered on the club page.

It takes a lot of practice to get good. I spent about hour and a half getting familiar with the drifting using the new handling model and trying out the different drifting category 2 cars, just retrying the racenet challenge over and over again.

Oh right...totally forgot about the livery lol.

jet1911

Playing with an XB1 controller on PC and it's almost perfect. Too bad there's no way to add rumble to the impulse trigger. :(

Sent a request to the GAF club too!

amar212

What is the platform of choice around here? PC?

Anyone tried console versions? What is the native resolution of PS3 version?

Vanilla, what was your issue with the wheel? Care to grab some direct screens from PS3?

What is the platform of choice around here? PC?

Anyone tried console versions? What is the native resolution of PS3 version?

Vanilla, what was your issue with the wheel? Care to grab some direct screens from PS3?

Gotta be the PC. Runs like a dream on low end machines, and it's optimized for Intel Integrated HD Graphics cards for crying out loud lol. My 5 year old Core 2 laptop still gives this game a run for its money even at 1080p lol.

Both PS3/360 versions runs at native 720p30, but apparently the 360's performance is more consistent, with less framerate dips.

Megasoum

Banned
Hey Loore I was thinking about something while driving around the open wheel cars.

You guys should add an auto-kers/auto-DRS feature in the next F1 Game. Open Wheelers in general are BY FAR my favorite racing discipline in any games but the amount of micro-management that I had to do in F1 2013 with KERS/DRS actually turned me off the game.

Hey Loore I was thinking about something while driving around the open wheel cars.

You guys should add an auto-kers/auto-DRS feature in the next F1 Game. Open Wheelers in general are BY FAR my favorite racing discipline in any games but the amount of micro-management that I had to do in F1 2013 with KERS/DRS actually turned me off the game.

Nice idea, I'll let the F1 minds know :)

Top Bottom