• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GRID: Autosport |OT| Zippin' Up My Boots, Goin' Back To My Roots, Yeah

hamchan

Hey Loore I was thinking about something while driving around the open wheel cars.

You guys should add an auto-kers/auto-DRS feature in the next F1 Game. Open Wheelers in general are BY FAR my favorite racing discipline in any games but the amount of micro-management that I had to do in F1 2013 with KERS/DRS actually turned me off the game.

I think the ERS system in 2014 is all done automatically anyways. So that just leaves one extra button for DRS, not that hard to press an extra button when going down those long straights!

Megasoum

Banned
I think the ERS system in 2014 is all done automatically anyways. So that just leaves one extra button for DRS, not that hard to press an extra button when going down those long straights!

Ah yeah forgot about that. They still have a push to pass button tho.

Ryne

Actually I think the F1 guys can steal the race engineer from Autosport - getting updates on demand is awesome. We should be able to ask the engineer how far the next car is, how much damage, and where my teammate is like how we can in Autosport. One of my favourite features.

DD

Hey Loore I was thinking about something while driving around the open wheel cars.

You guys should add an auto-kers/auto-DRS feature in the next F1 Game. Open Wheelers in general are BY FAR my favorite racing discipline in any games but the amount of micro-management that I had to do in F1 2013 with KERS/DRS actually turned me off the game.

It took me a lot of time to get used to the DRS system in the qualification sessions in F1 2012, but it got nicer on 2013 now that the drivers can't use it anywhere they want; only on specific places.

leng jai

This is one of the rare games where I actually use the rewind "cheat" occasionally. The amount of instances the AI unashamedly rams you off the track is absurd.

Lach

Actually I think the F1 guys can steal the race engineer from Autosport - getting updates on demand is awesome. We should be able to ask the engineer how far the next car is, how much damage, and where my teammate is like how we can in Autosport. One of my favourite features.

I like this way more that I thought I would in the beginning. Adds to imersion. Coming out of a rough coming together with a rival which may have done some damage. But you have to wait another 3 corners until you get onto a straight and lets you take one hand of the wheel and request a damage update...

Haven't had too much time to play this but I really love the game so far. Only gripe so far is the lack of mirrors to check the other drivers but that has been mentioned tons already...

[edit] Fun story. I was doing the first touring event....getting annoyed on how aggressive and "inapt" the other drivers is. When I was finished I stumbled upon "British Touring Car Championship" on BBC and WOW they were even worse....So I guess good job Codemasters....

Megasoum

Banned
It took me a lot of time to get used to the DRS system in the qualification sessions in F1 2012, but it got nicer on 2013 now that the drivers can't use it anywhere they want; only on specific places.

Yeah... Also I should note that the fact I'm using a CSR wheel really doesn't help. There's like no easy to access buttons on that wheel, really annoying.

Got this a few days ago. Looks and plays great. I kinda wish I could freely move the camera around, though.

I'm using an x360 controller and I can only look straight left, right, or back with Analog 2.

Wounded

Love the game so far, but have a question. How robust is the season in season? For example, if I do qualifying can I then quit and come back later and it will have saved? Just wondering.

Ryne

The game just punked me and told me to up the difficulty. Fine.

I am really liking it so far, just have some issues with the AI. It's a bit hard for me to explain, but it seems at times they just don't know you are there.

oxidax

Hey Loore, any way of getting the input files for the Fanatec CSR nonElite + Pedals? or will this be addressed on the next update at least?
Tx

Shakka

Love the game so far, but have a question. How robust is the season in season? For example, if I do qualifying can I then quit and come back later and it will have saved? Just wondering.

Yes, it will. It saves after anything you do, including qualyfing sessions. I think it actually says "save + quit" in the menu.

Fox Mulder

would love it in f1. You can get the same info from the HUD, but a useful engineer would be great in cockpit no HUD.

Shakka

That's great. It's one of those games I tend to play in small chunks, so this is perfect.

Yeh, me too, especially since I don't have a lot of free time on my hands at the moment. I'm really glad they made the save system this way.

Lach

If Loore is still hanging about:

One option that would be cool is to have kind of a seperate race length definition for endurance. I'm currently have racelength X2 which gives me 6-8 laps races. For Endurance I'd like to have actually long races (30-40 minutes) so it's actually endurance. I know I can change the difficulty settings but I usually forget when switching.

If Loore is still hanging about:

One option that would be cool is to have kind of a seperate race length definition for endurance. I'm currently have racelength X2 which gives me 6-8 laps races. For Endurance I'd like to have actually long races (30-40 minutes) so it's actually endurance. I know I can change the difficulty settings but I usually forget when switching.

Noted.

Aerocrane

Loore, it looks like the Racenet challenge leaderboards for clubmates aren't working properly. Unless they are actually working and you just want the top spot for yourself :D

i1jvmTIkRsJiq.PNG

Loore, it looks like the Racenet challenge leaderboards for clubmates aren't working properly. Unless they are actually working and you just want the top spot for yourself :D

i1jvmTIkRsJiq.PNG

Ohhh, that's weird. Can you have another go at beating my time? Shouldn't be too hard :)

Aerocrane

Ohhh, that's weird. Can you have another go at beating my time? Shouldn't be too hard :)

The clubmate leaderboards seem to consider higher amount of time taken to be better, when the drifting challenge was on lower scoring clubmates were higher on the list. I improved my time slightly, but the leaderboard is still wrong.

ib0j0n4Wv0mCZL.PNG

amar212

UI suggestion: If I exit either Qualify or Practice, the UI should return me to it at the main menu, not at the (default) Race

Also, if UI would be defaulted to Practice (Qualify) it would probably give greater incentive for casual players to try it?

Also, Drift events should really be made non-obligatory in any category - my wheels (all of them) are crying :/

@Aerocrane RaceNet magicians are currently looking into it.

@DD The grass was actually a by-product of our GameJam, 'GrassJam'. In the end the final result was that good we ended up using it in the game :)

DD

@DD The grass was actually a by-product of our GameJam, 'GrassJam'. In the end the final result was that good we ended up using it in the game :)
When I saw it on the trailers I thought that my modest PC wouldn't run it, but it runs most of the things on the ultra settings @ 60 FPS. You Codies are wizards!

Also, Drift events should really be made non-obligatory in any category - my wheels (all of them) are crying :/

yeah, the drifting is absolutely terrible when using a wheel. it's so bad it makes shift 2's drifting mode feel good.

i only like driving the formula c car with the wheel, the other cars, particularly the high speed cars (indy, p1, etc) feel weird with the g27, they're too floaty and twitchy, please adjust and add an option in patch 1 so we can set our own wheel ° on ps3, the multi turn option is useless

the sunlight tracks also need tweaking to remove the nuclear blast effect:

gridautosport8atsyw.png

if you bump the gamma down it's too dark even after adjusting tv settings.

some ps3 shots:

gridautosport7rszk.png

gridautosport_1k8s57.png

gridautosport_2xbsgx.png

gridautosport_336se7.png

gridautosport_4qxs5i.png

gridautosport_57cswn.png

gridautosport_6f7ss8.png

gridautosport_7v4sfn.png

the game has minor frame drops and screen tearing.

DD

yeah, the drifting is absolutely terrible when using a wheel. it's so bad it makes shift 2's drifting mode feel good.

i only like driving the formula c car with the wheel, the other cars, particularly the high speed cars (indy, p1, etc) feel weird with the g27, they're too floaty and twitchy, please adjust and add an option in patch 1 so we can set our own wheel ° on ps3, the multi turn option is useless
Did my first tuner season yesterday (the last one I've tried), and although drifting is not my cup of tea, it worked nicely with a X360 pad.

About the Indycars, yes, they're terribly fast and twitchy. 370 KM/h on Spa's main straight? Really?! Also, they shold have modelled the road/street circuits model. Instead, they made the one for oval tracks.

Branson

I just rage quit the second Endurance race. That is the worst track I have ever driven on. I dont even care that I DNF'd the race because eff that track.

leng jai

I'm dominating most races but there are a few I can't win for the life of me because the car spins out if I look at it the wrong way.

Hopefully they make the view higher for the bumper cam in the next patch. You basically can't see anything if you're close behind a car.

Lego Boss

I just rage quit the second Endurance race. That is the worst track I have ever driven on. I dont even care that I DNF'd the race because eff that track.

I'm glad that's not just me. I HATE the drifting and Endurance in this game, but it seems to get to the Grand Slam events you have to complete it. Much preferred Shift's career mode, which was more generous in terms of unlocking and accessing events (loved that maxed-out Merc190E).

GA is good, but I think on last gen it's gonna have to be Shift 2 for me.

Might have already been mentioned but I'd love to be able to set default views for the disciplines.
Touring and street will be dash cam
Drift is behind car etc

DD

What track?

Is there a cockpit view? If so I'll grab a copy tonight.

Yes, bot don't go thinking that they are beautiful like they are on other games. If you don't mind that, grab it. The game is awesome!

I'm glad that's not just me. I HATE the drifting and Endurance in this game, but it seems to get to the Grand Slam events you have to complete it. Much preferred Shift's career mode, which was more generous in terms of unlocking and accessing events (loved that maxed-out Merc190E).

GA is good, but I think on last gen it's gonna have to be Shift 2 for me.

As I've said before, drifting is not my cup of tea, but it works nice in this game. It's enjoyable with a 360 pad. But why you don't enjoy endurance races? It's fantastic!

About Shift 2, I have a love/hate relationship with that game. The tracks list is amazing, the classic tracks like Rouen-Les-Essarts gives me chills, but the handling of most of the cars is terrible, the wierd game's performance and (and I disagree with you here) the boring career mode annoys me alot.

It's just a black blurry mess though, remember that.
It stopped me from getting the game on release date, since they hadn't said it would be like this.

Well, you can't expect the company to come up and say "hey, our cockpit view is a mess!", but they did showed some videos way before the game's release that showed the interiors. ;)

Fox Mulder

About Shift 2, I have a love/hate relationship with that game. The tracks list is amazing, the classic tracks like Rouen-Les-Essarts gives me chills, but the handling of most of the cars is terrible, the wierd game's performance and (and I disagree with you here) the boring career mode annoys me alot.

That's why I'm skeptical about Project Cars. All of the Slightly Mad Studios games I've played have had handling that I didn't like. EA could have ruined the handling in Shift and Shift 2, but the cars felt the same in the Test Drive Ferrari game.

Lego Boss

What track?

Yes, bot don't go thinking that they are beautiful like they are on other games. If you don't mind that, grab it. The game is awesome!

As I've said before, drifting is not my cup of tea, but it works nice in this game. It's enjoyable with a 360 pad. But why you don't enjoy endurance races? It's fantastic!

Well, you can't expect the company to come up and say "hey, our cockpit view is a mess!", but they did showed some videos way before the game's release that showed the interiors. ;)

I can't seem to look after my tyres on Endurance. The car slowly goes away from me and then at the end I'm driving on marbles and then I get touched by a drone AI and spin out from eighth to fourteenth. No flashbacks left, I limp home raging at how unfair it is. Hints would be appreciated as I'm really solid in all the other disciplines (including muscle).

Lego Boss

That's why I'm skeptical about Project Cars. All of the Slightly Mad Studios games I've played have had handling that I didn't like. EA could have ruined the handling in Shift and Shift 2, but the cars felt the same in the Test Drive Ferrari game.

I understand this. I think it's something you either adore or detest. For me it was just so visceral, so on the edge that I just LOVED that game (didn't like the handling model in Shift though, it got far too twitchy with the beast-engined cars). The tracks are awesome and the music was so atmospheric.

I know people that hate that game too, but for me it was the best racer I've ever played (with Forza Horizon and Dirt 2 rivals for second).

Don't know what that says about me and driving games though . . .

Fox Mulder

I understand this. I think it's something you either adore or detest. For me it was just so visceral, so on the edge that I just LOVED that game (didn't like the handling model in Shift though, it got far too twitchy with the beast-engined cars). The tracks are awesome and the music was so atmospheric.

I know people that hate that game too, but for me it was the best racer I've ever played (with Forza Horizon and Dirt 2 rivals for second).

Don't know what that says about me and driving games though . . .

I love Shift despite the handling though. The cockpit cam is amazing and the meta objectives during a race should be in more games.

DD

Don't get me wrong, I love Shift 2, but just when I get a driveable car, heh.

Yes, indeed.

I can't seem to look after my tyres on Endurance. The car slowly goes away from me and then at the end I'm driving on marbles and then I get touched by a drone AI and spin out from eighth to fourteenth. No flashbacks left, I limp home raging at how unfair it is. Hints would be appreciated as I'm really solid in all the other disciplines (including muscle).
The tire wear is unstoppable, but there are ways to deal with it. First: don't lock your tires while braking. Brake early and smoothly. Second: don't let your car slide sideways while turning. Third: be gentle with the throttle when exiting slow turns. Doing these things may help you to end the race with yellow tires instead of red. But you'll still have to adapt to the tire wear during the race. For example, you may have to brake on the 150 meters marker instead of the 100 meter when your tires get worn out.

Also, if I am not mistaken, there's an option that sets unlimited flashbacks for use. It may help you dealing with the AI.

shandy706

I'm incredibly hesitant to purchase this reading impressions.

I really didn't like the previous offerings in the series, but I'm a huge fan of sims/racing and typically give every racing game at least one chance.

Is there a demo for any platform?

Lego Boss

Don't get me wrong, I love Shift 2, but just when I get a driveable car, heh.

Yes, indeed.

The tire wear is unstoppable, but there are ways to deal with it. First: don't lock your tires while braking. Brake early and smoothly. Second: don't let your car slide sideways while turning. Third: be gentle with the throttle when exiting slow turns. Doing these things may help you to end the race with yellow tires instead of red. But you'll still have to adapt to the tire wear during the race. For example, you may have to brake on the 150 meters marker instead of the 100 meter when your tires get worn out.

Also, if I am not mistaken, there's an option that sets unlimited flashbacks for use. It may help you dealing with the AI.

Thanks for the advice. I'm a bit of a Lewis Hamilton with the brakes: late and full on, none of this gradiency, ealry braking nonsense for me. Just like Lewis it looks like I'm going to have to modify my driving style . . . .

DD

Thanks for the advice. I'm a bit of a Lewis Hamilton with the brakes: late and full on, none of this gradiency, ealry braking nonsense for me. Just like Lewis it looks like I'm going to have to modify my driving style . . . .

Ah, definitely the wrong racing style for endurance races. ;)

Top Bottom