• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII confirmed for Xbox 360

Status
Not open for further replies.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
TheBranca18 said:
The success of the entire brand? What the fuck?

YES. Were you there in 1996-97 or what?

Nintendomination for 10+ years. Sega could compete but ultimately couldn't dent them. PlayStation was yet another curious competitor that few had serious hopes for... but when FF went to Playstation, all the other Japanese developers followed: Konami and MGS, Enix and Dragon Quest, Capcom's unconditional support. Western developers didn't have much sway in console games back then.

And PS2 directly capitalized on PS1s success.

VII was definitely the catalyst for everything that followed on Playstation, and I stand by that. It's not exactly a niche opinion either.

DangerStepp

SamuraiX- said:
Because it's a Disney game! Deeerr

It'd actually be funny if it was an Xbox 360 exclusive. We'll see when it's finally announced, but I'd bet it'd be announced for the PS3 first.
Alright, I didn't take the Disney ownership into factor. I was thinking of S-E only. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Niks

I gotta say, this announcement has made my afternoon very enjoyable.
Was not expecting this MEGATON.

Heh. Great entertainment for a monday afternoon at work!
:D

*popcorn.gif

SamuraiX-

batbeg said:
An unannounced Square-Enix game said to be coming after Versus XIII will come out before FFXIII, which itself is stated to come before Versus XIII? Really?

Yesh. :D

Because that's just how Square does things. :lol

PhoenixDark said:
In relation to the bigger picture: doesn't this announcement merely more confirmation that SE is not convinced of the future success of the PS3? I'm not suggesting they think the console is a bomb - it's doing well and will continue to do so - but I get the impression that SE doesn't expect the PS3 to dominate anything. They're not releasing FFXIII on the 360 because they feel bad for gamers who just own a 360 - they're releasing it because they want to break even and turn a profit on such an expensive project.

They decided to put DQ on the DS because it was the dominant system in Japan with the biggest user base. Putting FFXIII on the 360 in the US suggests they want to take advantage of the huge userbase that console has

Lots of things can still happen, but this is the biggest "megaton" announcement of this decade and could signal an industry shift.
Absolutely valid points in this post.

Bloodwake

DiddyBop said:
i was kinda more into versus' style, but whatever,i'll get a ps3 when its 199. cmon kojima! crash the squeenix part and announce mgs4 360!

I'm glad these talks are happening again. Fuck, thanks Square Enix, just one more reason for people to hope for an unlikely port of MGS4 to 360.

Vinci

Danish
So, at this point, it's officially the HD twins versus the Wii. 'Cause if they're bringing FF XIII over to the 360, they must've known they'd take a small bath on the title if it were on the PS3 alone. That, or well ... Microsoft did something intelligent with its money.

Threi

notag
just so you know (and to stir up more shit) vs may or may not be exclusive, as kotaku says the quote is incorrect due to an error.

kotaku said:
(that hashimoto quote above gah is incorrect -- live blog software error)

layzie1989 said:
124vxfq.gif

:lol

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
fortified_concept said:
Oh cmon don't overeact. PS3 has its exclusives (mostly 1st parties) just like X360 has its own (mostly PC dev exclusives). Noone's dying here, don't act like the anti-Sony fanboys in here. Still it's a big blow to PS3 and entirely Sony's fault.
Saying it is entirely Sony's fault is entirely false. In the end Sqeenix made the decision. Sony didn't tell Sqeenix to make it for the 360 too.

Sharp

PhoenixDark said:
In relation to the bigger picture: doesn't this announcement merely more confirmation that SE is not convinced of the future success of the PS3? I'm not suggesting they think the console is a bomb - it's doing well and will continue to do so - but I get the impression that SE doesn't expect the PS3 to dominate anything. They're not releasing FFXIII on the 360 because they feel bad for gamers who just own a 360 - they're releasing it because they want to break even and turn a profit on such an expensive project.

They decided to put DQ on the DS because it was the dominant system in Japan with the biggest user base. Putting FFXIII on the 360 in the US suggests they want to take advantage of the huge userbase that console has

Lots of things can still happen, but this is the biggest "megaton" announcement of this decade and could signal an industry shift.
It doesn't signal anything we didn't already know. Third-party publishers this generation have decided that huge exclusives are not cost-effective, and they're right.

Arsenic

I honestly will be extremely happy if they dont compromise the PS3 version. I hope they won't do what other developers do and "match" the versions. It will be a slap in the face.

That said, this announcement won't be so bad then.

And i highly doubt versus will be exclusive.

kazinova

I'm loving the SDF disc apologists.

I think we all learned in MGS4 that it doesn't matter if you have Blu-Ray. You either install for several minutes a disc. Or you stand up off your fat ass and put the next disc in.

Thanks for the :lol GAF.

Official tag for people crying in this thread: "Pwned by the Sqeenix!"

nib95

Banned
That's got to be one of the biggest blows Microsoft could have possibly dealt to Sony.

In one sense I'm annoyed. Does that mean it won't be taking full advantage of PS3 hardware any more? Or will the 360 version be a port? Dialled back or on multiple disks?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
the release of the next 360 processors can't come any sooner :\ i still fear the RRoD, those FF13 360 bundles better be up to the task, cuz i'm getting one of dem boys :D

Interesting one. Like most big, long running franchises, the userbase already have a console on which they can play it so it's not going to be much of a system seller on its release, but it will still stifle a small but notable amount of existing 360 owners who've been with FF through the years from picking up a PS3. The damage it does to yet another 'Sony franchise' and consequently the image & perception of their console is much more noteworthy.

It's not surprising for Square-Enix, and short of making this game a side story while throwing the 'numbered' Final Fantasy games to Wii it's undoubtedly the best move for them, as clearly this game is a very costly production. I'd expect the PS3 version to have the edge in most technical areas given that development has obviously led on that platform but I should imagine any differences will be very minor.

btkadams

RobotsAnger said:
So when will we get more news on what versus actually is?
its supposed to be like kingdom hearts kind of gameplay with a dark finalfantasy-ish sotryline.

btw guys you might as well ask kotaku to ask them if they wanna say anything about a possible kingdom hearts 3 on wii/ps3, i did. im sure they wont announce something like that in this kind of interview but maybe they could say whether its possible itll be on wii.

TDG

Banned
Ramirez said:
I was literally laughing out loud when I finally realized what game was on the screen, G4 had the camera way back at MS's request for some reason. I knew this place would explode. :lol
Same here. :lol

It's been a while since we've had a megaton on GAF. Good times.

Hey, when's the next 1UP Yours? I want to hear Shane's thoughts on this matter. You know, since he said it would never happen.

KTallguy

Banned
nib95 said:
That's got to be one of the biggest blows Microsoft could have possibly dealt to Sony.

In one sense I'm annoyed. Does that mean it won't be taking full advantage of PS3 hardware any more? Or will the 360 version be a port? Dialled back or on multiple disks?

Apparently it's a straight port, worked on after the PS3 version is done (in Japan).

fin

EazyB said:
Good fucking lord there are a lot of RPGs on/coming to the 360. I still need to finish LO, Eternal Sonata, and start Blue Dragon before FF hits.
For some reason I don't think that'll be a problem.

I just started Blue Dragon on Saturday. I'm really hooked. I logged 8 hours in one day.

Is there still no release date for FF13? Live support?
COOP please!.

Sony will have some surprises up their sleeves, Team ICO must be working on something, new Kojima game maybe. Lets not forget about Resistance 2 and Killzone 2.

el Diablo

Banned
BobsRevenge said:
This just isn't true. With Killzone 2, Resistence 2, God of War 3, White Knight Story, and others I'd say Sony still has system sellers. They just lost the exclusivity of one big one.

The games you mentioned are all likely to be good to great games i don't argue that, but NONE of those are anything that's going to make anyone run out and buy a $400 system. People that enjoy Sony's first party stuff are going to buy a PS3 eventually anyways, it's the people on the fence that Sony needed FFXIII for.

I'm one of those fence people, if MGS4 hadn't been exclusive and if i hadn't assumed that FFXIII would have been then i wouldn't own one at all. Not saying that the first party stuff i played was bad but none of it would make me buy a system. Really wish i hadn't bought one at launch now, no way in hell i can justify paying $599 for it.

AHAHAHAHAHAHhahahahahahahahHAHAHAhahaa:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Sony, Sony, Sony. The ball is definitely in your court. That was a major blow.

BobsRevenge said:
Saying it is entirely Sony's fault is entirely false. In the end Sqeenix made the decision. Sony didn't tell Sqeenix to make it for the 360 too.

Sony used to have excellent relations with SE. They could have shown more interest and more moneyhats. It's Sony's fault they can't keep a fucking exclusive not SE's. And I hope you don't believe the bullshit about the decision being made based on userbases. MS has obviously moneyhatted them.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Threi said:
just so you know (and to stir up more shit) vs may or may not be exclusive, as kotaku says the quote is incorrect due to an error.
That's a different quote.

Question: FFXIII uses a properitary engine. Correct me if I'm wrong, that's the last time, it will be used.
Hashimoto: "We haven't made any changes about that."
2:16
gah

Dragon

Banned
BocoDragon said:
YES. Were you there in 1996-97 or what?

I owned a PS1 if that's what you're asking.

BocoDragon said:
Nintendomination for 10+ years. Sega could compete but ultimately couldn't dent them. PlayStation was yet another curious competitor that few had serious hopes for... but when FF went to Playstation, all the other Japanese developers followed: Konami and MGS, Enix and Dragon Quest, Capcom's unconditional support. Western developers didn't have much sway in console games back then.

If you're saying that third parties went to the PS1 solely because of Square, well I'm going to disagree with you.

BocoDragon said:
And PS2 directly capitalized on PS1s success.

Sure did, even though only two mainline entries in the FF series were released for it.

The Playstation brand has always been about variety rather than a bunch of a certain type of genre.

BocoDragon said:
VII was definitely the catalyst for everything that followed on Playstation, and I stand by that. It's not exactly a niche opinion either.

Whether or not other people agree with you is really irrelevant. Arguing from popularity is not the way to go.

The catalyst for everything on the Playstation brand was using CDs and DVDs rather than what Nintendo was doing, IMO.

Amir0x

Banned
reilo said:
Really Amir? Really? You're better than this.

It's over, period. Sony lost their last ace, and that's the end of their PS3 hopes and dreams.

It's not hyperbole, it's not fanboy drivel. It is LITERALLY it for PS3. Sony has nothing left, nothing they can reveal tomorrow would fix the hole now created. There is no reason left for any one, hardcore or casual, to substantively invest in a PS3. Except if they want to play MGS4. Which will also come to 360 at some point.

The age of Sony is done.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
Amir0x said:
The Sony Brand is finally over. Maybe next decade!

Maybe you should wait before all the conferences are over before stating ridiculous claims.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
waiting has really payed off :lol and the awesome thing is that my roomie bought a PS3 for MGS4 so now i'm considered and PS360 owner which owns :lol

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
fortified_concept said:
Oh cmon don't overeact. PS3 has its exclusives (mostly 1st parties) just like X360 has its own (mostly PC dev exclusives). Noone's dying here, don't act like the anti-Sony fanboys in here. Still it's a big blow to PS3 and entirely Sony's fault.

Still I agree with you, BUT its bad for a product that some of us support lose exclusives AND vice versa.

We see devs cancel PS3 games due to "how hard/expensive" it is to develop a game for. We just have to wait till tomorrow and see what Sony has up it sleeves. They need to come out with the haymakers.

dreamer3kx said:
FF7 remake would redeem Sony, would it??

I think so.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Did they cancel the PS3 version or something? From the way some of you are reacting I would assume this to be the case.

It is going to be embarrassing for Sony if they did not know about this and have written into the show a demoing of FF13 much like Polyphony demoed GTHD at E32006....free pimping and teeth grinding for the game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom