• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Super Smash Bros character to be revealed on Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neiteio

It would be nice if the newcomer wasn't something expected

Like Hawlucha, or Ridley, or Ridley in a luchador outfit

Damn it. Against my better judgement, this has me excited. If it is any of the three from the Gematsu leak, I will be disappointed. Hell, I like Shulk, but I don't think he warrants a reveal like this. I want to see someone unexpected. (Not Wii Fit Trainer unexpected, preferably.)

You're not going to get anyone unexpected when you have already read a leak of the remaining newcomers.

ionitron

yXOqPTA.png

If Shulk's in he deserves at least a tag.

Haaaaaha it'll never die!!

The fact Sakurai says he's almost out of new character reveals makes me believe the Gematsu leak is true and we only have Chrom, Shulk, and Chorus Men left. :(

You know, I'd probably be a little disappointed if the Gematsu leak was it and done, but they also said that Character DLC was a thing, and if he's been right about everything so far and DLC comes out to be true, then, who knows!

And yeah Chrom blegh but, whatevs. It's bound to be an interesting interpretation, to say the least.

Neiteio

The leaks never explicitly said that the newcomers listed were all that's left

I'm not expecting anything more than Shulk, Chrom and Chorus Men, though

TDLink

Even if the only 3 newcomers left are the ones Gematsu has leaked, there are still characters that will be in the game which we don't know about because of DLC. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if there were more than just the 3 remaining Gematsu leaks.

The leak maintained the "XY Pokemon" even with Greninja being known though
Was XY Pokemon listed again in the third leak?

Actually the the Miiverse post implies there aren't many newcomers left to be revealed.

I assume that, as it has always been in the series, there'll be some hidden newcomers to unlock.
No, it implies that there aren't many newcomers left. Sakurai said all new characters should get videos, not just ones revealed before release.

Quite honestly, I'm shocked that on some level Paper Mario hasn't been made into a character. He's a natural fit, he'd play (potentially) pretty differently and he could have a tonne of different abilities from each of the games.
The Mario RPGs tend to be ignored outside of the games themselves (Mario Kart, Smash). We might get an AT or a stage? Maybe?

Arthos

I wish they'd just add Lucina instead of Chrom honestly. I suppose it is possible with DLC.

Still, Shulk would be huge. Ahhhhhhhhhh! Monday!

I'm really hoping that the highly likely decision to put in Chrom is mainly supported by a creative moveset idea on Sakurai's part and not just because Awakening was popular.
Surely you could take advantage of Awakening's class changing antics or pair up/support focus, just anything other than the scenario where we get a guy who both looks and plays like the middle ground between Marth and Ike complete with swiping Marth's Falchion and Ike's signature Aether.

TDLink

I'm really hoping that the highly likely decision to put in Chrom is mainly supported by a creative moveset idea on Sakurai's part and not just because Awakening was popular.
Surely you could take advantage of Awakening's class changing antics or pair up/support focus, just anything other than the scenario where we get a guy who both looks and plays like the middle ground between Marth and Ike complete with swiping Marth's Falchion and Ike's signature Aether.

I don't think Chrom is going to be a "pair up" or whatever. Sakurai said he didn't want any more "transformation" characters, which is why Zelda/Shiek and Samus/ZSS are separate now. And if they make it two characters at once, it's just utilizing either Ice Climbers' gimmick or Rosalina's.

Drago

I will be shocked if the reveal is anyone other than the three remaining leaked characters. And if it's someone else I'm gonna assume it's the last newcomer outside of those three lol. fuck leaks
LLShC.gif

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Its weird how im just not seeing this thread until 10 mins ago, it should be constantly on the front page

Angry Guy

I'm hoping that if they put Chrom/Lucina in then they go with when they're Great Lords and they use lances and swords at the same time, a la Hilde from Soul Calibur.

Servbot24

Banned
Actually the the Miiverse post implies there aren't many newcomers left to be revealed.

I assume that, as it has always been in the series, there'll be some hidden newcomers to unlock.

Which unannounced newcomers were unlockable in Brawl? I don't remember.

I don't think Chrom is going to be a "pair up" or whatever. Sakurai said he didn't want any more "transformation" characters, which is why Zelda/Shiek and Samus/ZSS are separate now. And if they make it two characters at once, it's just utilizing either Ice Climbers' gimmick or Rosalina's.

Short of characters just randomly appearing to contribute for moves (which would look pretty jarring) I agree that the odds are pretty low of utilising that idea due to this games changes.
At this point I'm left hoping that even something as silly as Chrom's status as a walking item/weaponry convoy can somehow be used to make his potential moveset more interesting.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Which unannounced newcomers were unlockable in Brawl? I don't remember.

It get skewed because the game released at the end of January 2008 in Japan while it was March in NA, so we had them all by the time the game released, but the ones post-Japan launch looking at the Dojo were Lucario, R.O.B., Toon Link, and Wolf. Veterans shown after it launched were Ness, Luigi, Marth, Falco, Captain Falcon, Jigglypuff, Ganondorf, and Mr. Game & Watch.

Shaffield

I am so ready for the Chorus Kids reveal.
oh my god I can't wait to see all the RH music they put in mmmmmmmmm

those dudes might just overcome Lucario as my main

NeonZ

See with Robin they could do something really creative since she could change into any number of classes. Chrom will just be like Ike and Marth. :|

Chrom could be a summon-type character too, calling other Awakening characters for his special attacks, if they focus on highlighting the "strategy" side of the game for once, rather than just RPG.

They showed a Tiki trophy that seemed to have an original 3d model (although not on par with playable characters), and that seems kind of odd, considering how all other trophies seem to be just using game assets... So, if it's actually used by one of Chrom's attacks, that could explain it.

Probably Shulk then, So is Captain falcon not in this game?
Samurai Goroh assist trophy had an F-Zero emblem, so it's basically confirmed that there's going to be an F-Zero stage or character, since Assist Trophies don't get emblems of their own.

AdanVC

Wowwowow! Awesome news to start the day. But now it will be a pain to wait the entire weekend haha. Damn, who could it be? A newcomer? or a veteran like Ness, Wario, Mewtwo, C. Falcon, Mickey Mouse... Twitter says "New challenger" so yeah, I think it will be a veteran comeback rather than a newcomer. Either way, I'm all aboard the hype train!

He's probably unlockable again, and Sakurai doesn't typically reveal hidden characters before the game's release.

Samurai Goroh has been confirmed though, so I would expect Captain Falcon to be in.

oh thank god, because being a cap falcon player, i got a little worried

Neoxon

Wowwowow! Awesome news to start the day. But now it will be a pain to wait the entire weekend haha. Damn, who could it be? A newcomer? or a veteran like Ness, Wario, Mewtwo, C. Falcon, Mickey Mouse... Twitter says "New challenger" so yeah, I think it will be a veteran comeback rather than a newcomer. Either way, I'm all aboard the hype train!
The Miiverse post said new challenger video, so that means it's a newcomer.

Neiteio

Chrom could be a summon-type character too, calling other Awakening characters for his special attacks, if they focus on highlighting the "strategy" side of the game for once, rather than just RPG.

They showed a Tiki trophy that seemed to have an original 3d model (although not on par with playable characters), and that seems kind of odd, considering how all other trophies seem to be just using game assets... So, if it's actually used by one of Chrom's attacks, that could explain it.
Granted, Tiki could easily be an Assist Trophy that pops up, turns into a dragon and unleashes an attack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom