• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1UP Yours - 7/25/08

I thought it interesting that they concentrated on the low Xbox 360 sales, yet without the release of MGS4 the PS3 numbers would have been very similar.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Jag22 said:
It's a 3rd person shooter with platforming. There's a huge difference between Mega Man and Uncharted.

:edit: And no matter what you call it, it still plays like a shooter. So someone who's not interested in shooters, wouldn't like Uncharted. Since you're playing it as a 3rd person shooter 90% of the game. Especially towards the end when the game becomes Doom.

I wouldn't be so sure. I know people who love platforming who loved Uncharted ^_^

Jag22

Banned
Kagari said:
I wouldn't be so sure. I know people who love platforming who loved Uncharted ^_^

Then they would like shooters. Because Uncharted plays more like a shooter, than a platformer.

Jag22

Banned
Opus Angelorum said:
I thought it interesting that they concentrated on the low Xbox 360 sales, yet without the release of MGS4 the PS3 numbers would have been very similar.

I think it's interesting that Garnett said "that's why Microsoft dropped the 360's price".

That wasn't a real price cut, and might stimulate sales a little untill all the 20 gig units are cleared out.

Kagari said:
Have you played the game?
Have you played the aforementioned chapters I was bitching about above, which are practically all shooting?

Then again, the rest of the game itself is a pretty even split down the middle of Gears of War -style combat and Tomb Raider-style platforming.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I AM JOHN! said:
Have you played the aforementioned chapters I was bitching about above, which are practically all shooting?

Then again, the rest of the game itself is a pretty even split down the middle of Gears of War -style combat and Tomb Raider-style platforming.

Yes, and I would still classify the game as Action/Adventure.

h3ro

Big Fun for Fourth Chair!!!

Garnet, Mangod, John and Big Fun, of course, with Skip on the ones and twos...

Perfect.

J-Rzez

Jag22 said:
Then they would like shooters. Because Uncharted plays more like a shooter, than a platformer.

Shooting, platforming, and action. Considering the searching around, jumping, climbing, and melee, it's not 90% shooter. It had a great mix of elements that kept you playing and not wanting it to end.

Private Hoffman said:
2692312381_5ac00f8f69_o.png

That's ingame? It looks like a shot from that trailer. If it looks like that with 256 people running around with vehicles and stuff, I'll shit myself.

Nizz

lybertyboy said:
Obviously the game looks stunning, the controls felt off to me. The aiming reticule didn't move around the screen at a consistent speed. I'm not the only one that felt this way, but they certainly have plenty of time to tweak the controls. Honestly, I came away far more interested in Resistance 2. That game looks far better in person than via screenshots or video.
This was just what I was going to post about. I heard you start talking about how the controls in Killzone 2 felt a little off, and you started to get into more detail about it till you all decided to hold off till the next segment, the E3 wrap up. Then it wasn't spoken about again :( If they get the controls to Resistance/COD 4 tightness, I'll be extremely happy. To me, those two games in particular are the pinnacle of controls on PS3. I was very happy when a while back on a 1up show, Garnett said Monolith was paying close attention to COD 4's controls and that's where they want to be control-wise with Project Origin. Good news! So I hope Killzone 2 ends up controlling lovely...

joezombie

I feel like people are exaggerating the time commitment/complexity of Civ4 in order to contrast it with CivRev. I haven't played CivRev, but I have no problem getting through a Civ4 game on standard settings in 5-6 hours, and on a smaller Rev-style map I'm sure you can go faster. There's no reason you should have a 20 hour game unless you're piling on settings intended to lengthen it(huge map, epic timescale)

Shane, talk about Tales of Vesperia more next week! Plot-wise, Tales of the Abyss started out really slow, and then got so mega-awesome. I'm really interested in hearing impressions from later on in the game next week.

Kevtones

Hell yes to Brian for reppin' Oregon.

Note that EA horribly underrated Oregon and has their fifth string QB rated best (although now this player recently transferred to a 1-AA school). Brilliant!

Snipes424

fps fanatic said:
This was just what I was going to post about. I heard you start talking about how the controls in Killzone 2 felt a little off, and you started to get into more detail about it till you all decided to hold off till the next segment, the E3 wrap up. Then it wasn't spoken about again :( If they get the controls to Resistance/COD 4 tightness, I'll be extremely happy. To me, those two games in particular are the pinnacle of controls on PS3. I was very happy when a while back on a 1up show, Garnett said Monolith was paying close attention to COD 4's controls and that's where they want to be control-wise with Project Origin. Good news! So I hope Killzone 2 ends up controlling lovely...

Yeah, they have till Feb to fix that, so I'm sure it will be good by then...

But it's good to hear that Resistance 2 has CoD4 quality controls :)

Finished it, interesting show despite some laughably inaccurate facts (I wish PSP cost $129 and it would certainly be something if PS2 had sold 100 million in the US alone). Anyway, I thought Shane's bitching about RE5 was so weak, yes we get it, you got to play it, what about the hundreds of others who hadn't in the audience.

Also, I just don't think PS2 is as good a platform for new software as they think, shelf space for PS2 games at retail is dominated by budget/greatest hits software and new core releases would likely get buried. Sure, you can throw a bunch of licensed ports and casual stuff on there but if I was a dev I wouldn't put any higher budget games because I think a lot of core gamers have moved on, whether it be to Wii or 360 or PS3 or handhelds.

border

Yeah, I didn't really understand the rationale behind ranking Sony last.

"Nintendo had nothing we're interested in at all, but Sony wasn't focused."

border said:
Yeah, I didn't really understand the rationale behind ranking Sony last.

"Nintendo had nothing we're interested in at all, but Sony wasn't focused."
I thought Microsft was less focused then Sony, just because they started great and finished with a bunch of shit that nobody cares about. What market are they aiming for? Mature gamers who want good online and offline experiences, or mom who want to Urine: The Movies and set up avatars that they can watch stand around.

I love Garnett and Big Fun as much as anyone but they're totally wrong about NCAA 09. Sounds like they each played one or two games and decided it's not what they want.

I've played about 50 games plus two seasons in a dynasty and love it to death. Sure, just like EVERY SINGLE SPORTS GAME EVER MADE it has issues, but for crying out loud there is so much more that's good than bad in this game it's ridiculous.

Top Bottom