• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1UP Yours - 7/25/08

Jirotrom

FartOfWar said:
It's not. He's there for people who buy the game just to unlock costume parts and acheivements.
pssshh, hes their to make for star wars fans... I love star wars and I love fighting games, but I know damn well I wont ever use Yoda in a tourney... mainly because he will be banned.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
sykoex said:
After playing Killzone 2, how are you feeling about the possibilities of the multiplayer mode? Are you excited? Do you see potential?

Obviously the game looks stunning, the controls felt off to me. The aiming reticule didn't move around the screen at a consistent speed. I'm not the only one that felt this way, but they certainly have plenty of time to tweak the controls. Honestly, I came away far more interested in Resistance 2. That game looks far better in person than via screenshots or video.

That british dude is really annoying.

I don't understand the hate for Sony's press conference. It was probably the most tolerable one to watch and it had the most new announcements even if there weren't as many new announcements as we would have liked.

Sony's lineup is scattershot? You don't know their focus? What? How can they say that after looking at the PS3s lineup?

Jirotrom

Private Hoffman said:
That british dude is really annoying.

I don't understand the hate for Sony's press conference. It was probably the most tolerable one to watch and it had the most new announcements even if there weren't as many new announcements as we would have liked.

Sony's lineup is scattershot? You don't know their focus? What? How can they say that after looking at the PS3s lineup?
Cheapy D at CAG stated he found the Sony one as his least favorite as well, and that for him is saying something considering he doesn't really like anything that Nintendo has to offer, granted he stated it was all boring.

nib95

Banned
lybertyboy said:
Obviously the game looks stunning, the controls felt off to me. The aiming reticule didn't move around the screen at a consistent speed. I'm not the only one that felt this way, but they certainly have plenty of time to tweak the controls. Honestly, I came away far more interested in Resistance 2. That game looks far better in person than via screenshots or video.

So do you think the sensitivity could be variable (acceleration/deceleration of pointer/reticule). If so, they should change to, or fine tune it so as to decrease the amount to which speed varies, as this can be off putting.

Maybe it's something you guys could bring up with Guerilla devs when you next bump in to them?

Jirotrom said:
Cheapy D at CAG stated he found the Sony one as his least favorite as well, and that for him is saying something considering he doesn't really like anything that Nintendo has to offer, granted he stated it was all boring.

So I guess people like cheesey stupid shit in their conferences that look embarrassing? Because Microsoft and Nintendo had that this year, but Sony's presentation was much more professional (which was surprising because usually Sony has some embarrassing stuff in their conferences).

I agree that they didn't focus much time on individual titles, but come on, they still have the PSP, PS2, and PS3 -- in terms of time, it's very hard to fit all of that news into a respectable time limit.

On the show floor, I think Sony easily won E3. We got to see a lot more from R2, KZ2, Infamous, PSN titles like flower and fat princess, etc.

I don't see how anyone in the world would objectively rate Sony last this year.

lybertyboy

nib95 said:
So do you think the sensitivity could be variable (acceleration/deceleration of pointer/reticule). If so, they should change to, or fine tune it so as to decrease the amount to which speed varies, as this can be off putting.

Maybe it's something you guys could bring up with Guerilla devs when you next bump in to them?

Possibly. During my play session I did adjust the sensitivity and the controls definitely felt better, but every time I would make a sudden aiming adjustment it just felt like the targeting reticle moved too quickly. Admittedly, I've never played the first Killzone so it might just be the way they handle aim assist. I would like to spend some more time with the game so I can form a more coherent opinion. Regarding multiplayer, so many of the other major shooters releasing this year have ambitious plans already spelled out. I certainly hope the guys at Guerrilla have something substantial up their sleeves as well.

EDIT: There might have been a setting to adjust the aiming acceleration; I just didn't see it. Playing a demo in a crowded room with sweaty man-babies (I'm counting myself in that group.) is not conducive to in-depth analysis.

lybertyboy said:
Possibly. During my play session I did adjust the sensitivity and the controls definitely felt better, but every time I would make a sudden aiming adjustment it just felt like the targeting reticle moved too quickly. Admittedly, I've never played the first Killzone so it might just be the way they handle aim assist. I would like to spend some more time with the game so I can form a more coherent opinion. Regarding multiplayer, so many of the other major shooters releasing this year have ambitious plans already spelled out. I certainly hope the guys at Guerrilla have something substantial up their sleeves as well.

32 players, class rank systems (mix and match abilities), it looks pretty substantial so far. I'm looking forward to KZ2's multiplayer over any shooter this year.

It's too bad they didn't show KZ2 multiplayer on the show floor itself.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Is there no setting for aim acceleration? That'd be weird.

The aiming in Killzone does feel a little different than other shooters, but I can't really remember exactly how. They had to compensate for the shitty framerate in KZ1.

I still think everyone should at least try KZ1. It's pretty nicely designed visually.

lybertyboy

Private Hoffman said:
32 players, class rank systems (mix and match abilities), it looks pretty substantial so far. I'm looking forward to KZ2's multiplayer over any shooter this year.

It's too bad they didn't show KZ2 multiplayer on the show floor itself.

Wish it had been there as well. I'm looking forward to getting some time with the Killzone 2 MP firsthand. I just wish they would either do away with the bright red exploding barrels completely or at least do something interesting with it like Gears 2 has with the Tickers.

I can just imagine how the Tickers were pitched: "Um, we need some sort of exploding barrel. How about we give them four feet and let them run around? Brilliant!" :D

nib95

Banned
lybertyboy said:
Wish it had been there as well. I'm looking forward to getting some time with the Killzone 2 MP firsthand. I just wish they would either do away with the bright red exploding barrels completely or at least do something interesting with it like Gears 2 has with the Tickers.

I can just imagine how the Tickers were pitched: "Um, we need some sort of exploding barrel. How about we give them four feet and let them run around? Brilliant!" :D

Imo barrels are all gravy, as long as the consequence is a satisfying and visually spectacular one and they aren't too over-used. Though admittedly, I'd prefer more of those gas canister things KZ2 has over barrels, since they seem to have directional push, which means you could have some fun with the physics, and using them tactically to do away with enemies in more imaginative ways.

Zeliard

lybertyboy said:

Is Resistance 2 really that nice graphically? The lighting, in particular, seems very flat just like in Resistance 1. Graphically, it doesn't appear to be anywhere close to Killzone 2 or some of the other big upcoming shooters (Far Cry 2, Gears 2, Project Origin, S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Clear Sky).

lybertyboy

Zeliard said:
Is Resistance 2 really that nice graphically? The lighting, in particular, seems very flat just like in Resistance 1. Graphically, it doesn't appear to be anywhere close to Killzone 2 or some of the other big upcoming shooters (Far Cry 2, Gears 2, Project Origin, S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Clear Sky).

It doesn't match up pixel by pixel with any of those game, but the Resistance 2 levels are immense. However, like I said on the show. I really hope they give me (as the player) a chance really explore these environments. Otherwise, they might as well just be hi-res sky boxes if I can't interact with them.

lybertyboy said:
It doesn't match up pixel by pixel with any of those game, but the Resistance 2 levels are immense. However, like I said on the show. I really hope they give me (as the player) a chance really explore these environments. Otherwise, they might as well just be hi-res sky boxes if I can't interact with them.

All games have those sky boxes though. Gears 2 / KZ2 / Halo 3 have them, but the thing about Insomniac is that they make their skyboxes really, really elaborate and active (see: Ratchet and Clank too)

lybertyboy

Private Hoffman said:
All games have those sky boxes though. Gears 2 / KZ2 / Halo 3 have them, but the thing about Insomniac is that they make their skyboxes really, really elaborate and active (see: Ratchet and Clank too)

I totally agree, but Insomniac has gone out of their way promote the SCALE of their game as a feature. That's why I would hold them to a different standard than the other shooters you mentioned.

EDIT: Exactly Kev.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Private Hoffman said:
All he's saying is he wants them to be more than just pretty geometry in the background. If you have an enormous stage with nothing in it, then why bother?

Y2Kev said:
All he's saying is he wants them to be more than just pretty geometry in the background. If you have an enormous stage with nothing in it, then why bother?

I understand what he's saying, but I'm just curious why he's calling out Resistance 2 for this in particular when most games do the exact same thing; is it because Resistance 2 makes it so much more elaborate that it stands out? I understand that Insomniac is going after scale, but they're largely talking about the boss battles, multiplayer size, and co-op size....Resistance 1 had a lot of active/pretty but ultimately non interactive background pieces.

I mean, seriously, none of that stuff in the San Francisco level is going to be "explorable" in the background. It's all pretty eye candy.

Jirotrom

Private Hoffman said:
So I guess people like cheesey stupid shit in their conferences that look embarrassing? Because Microsoft and Nintendo had that this year, but Sony's presentation was much more professional (which was surprising because usually Sony has some embarrassing stuff in their conferences).

I agree that they didn't focus much time on individual titles, but come on, they still have the PSP, PS2, and PS3 -- in terms of time, it's very hard to fit all of that news into a respectable time limit.

On the show floor, I think Sony easily won E3. We got to see a lot more from R2, KZ2, Infamous, PSN titles like flower and fat princess, etc.

I don't see how anyone in the world would objectively rate Sony last this year.
like i said, Cheapy didn't like any of them he just stated that nintendo's was less boring than Sony's. He thought they were boring, and personally i found all of them boring as a whole.

J-Rzez said:
Did they say they saw a screen shot of MAG and it looks like SOCOM? I'd like to see this shot.

2692312381_5ac00f8f69_o.png

Didn't think you guys would pull off a 2+ hour podcast after last week. Great listen, this podcast convinced me to buy Civ Rev. Kinda funny, I was thinking to myself "Wow, Shane and Garnett are being civil with each other" than the screaming began. They make up a funny o
L
d couple:lol

Quasar

Interesting podcast. I certainly disagree with the table regarding Civ4 v Civ Rev.

Interesting look at the conferences. The Sony one was a bit scattershot, and I certainly did note as John did the deluge of shooters on the PS3. This direction is a real disappointment for me...my non-interest in shooters was one reason I was interested in the PS3 to start with versus the 360. I don't really get it...what is Sony trying to achieve with all these shooters? To get 360 shooter fans to buy a PS3 as well?

Quasar said:
Interesting podcast. I certainly disagree with the table regarding Civ4 v Civ Rev.

Interesting look at the conferences. The Sony one was a bit scattershot, and I certainly did note as John did the deluge of shooters on the PS3. This direction is a real disappointment for me...my non-interest in shooters was one reason I was interested in the PS3 to start with versus the 360. I don't really get it...what is Sony trying to achieve with all these shooters? To get 360 shooter fans to buy a PS3 as well?

God of War 3
Infamous
Little Big Planet
MotorStorm 2
Uncharted 2
Heavy Rain
Flower
Fat princess
PixelJunk Eden
GT5
WipeoutHD

vs.

Resistance 2
Killzone 2
MAG
SOCOM

Shooter overload? Ehhh. NOT really.

You're still getting a lot of diversity in your titles. Just because they've announced some pretty high profile shooters doesn't mean that's all they're doing. The market for shooters is pretty hot right now, so you'll definitely see a decent push for them, but that's certainly not the ONLY type of game you're seeing pushed.

The NCAA 09 talk exemplified why it was such a mistake to go away from three-person reviews. A fucking A- for this game is the only 1up review, it's pretty ridiculous. Garnett sounded like he thought the gameplay was complete garbage and that's not the first person I've heard such sentiments from.

Also, holy crap at the overactive KZ2 defense force here, guys, the game comes out in February 09, don't get your knickers in a bunch everytime somebody doesn't swoon over it and declare it the greatest thing ever like you guys have already done.

jet1911

Private Hoffman said:
You're still getting a lot of diversity in your titles. Just because they've announced some pretty high profile shooters doesn't mean that's all they're doing. The market for shooters is pretty hot right now, so you'll definitely see a decent push for them, but that's certainly not the ONLY type of game you're seeing pushed.

Jeez, let it go already. Not everyone agrees with you, it's not the end of the world. :p

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I kinda wanted to hear more about random shit they played on the show floor, but it sounds like they couldn't see most of it without an appointment?

If so, that blows.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
One thing that disappoints me about most E3 wrap ups I've heard is that they focus way too much on the conferences when there were tons more games on the show floor.

I mean, if you were a nintendo fan, of course you would think E3 sucked if all you saw was their press conference... meanwhile the floor has Wario, Rhythm Heaven, Mad World, Mega Man 9, etc.

Shins

Banned
Private Hoffman said:
God of War 3
Infamous
Little Big Planet
MotorStorm 2
Uncharted 2
Heavy Rain

Flower
Fat princess
PixelJunk Eden
GT5
WipeoutHD

vs.

Resistance 2
Killzone 2
MAG
SOCOM

not in the conference, which is what they were talking about :p

Bodom78

Crescendo170 said:
Really? I found him to be unusually entertaining. Different strokes I guess...

I usually don't mind him, but he was talking over and interrupting way too much, to the point I was yelling at my monitor for him to shut the hell up.

Tobor

jet1911 said:
Jeez, let it go already. Not everyone agrees with you, it's not the end of the world. :p

The guy apparently owns 2 PS3's, so he has to fight twice as hard.

I'd rate E3 the same as 1up, MS>>>Nintendo>Sony. Shooters are wearing thin, and competitive shooters are non starters, for me at least.

EDIT: DC Universe looked interesting, but I'll wait and see.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Tobor said:

I'd rate E3 the same as 1up, MS>>>Nintendo>Sony. Shooters are wearing thin, and competitive shooters are non starters, for me at least.

They're wearing thin? I think this holiday's sales will tell you otherwise.

Tobor

Kintaro said:
They're wearing thin? I think this holiday's sales will tell you otherwise.

I'm getting tired of shooters personally, I thought I made that clear.

It was mentioned by Shane, but Sony chasing shooters while MS chases RPG's is ironic.

Tobor said:

EDIT: DC Universe looked interesting, but I'll wait and see.

I also own 2 Wii's and an Xbox 360, but thanks for asking.

What do you own? I don't see how you could objectively rate Sony last.

Tobor

Private Hoffman said:
I also own 2 Wii's and an Xbox 360, but thanks for asking.

What do you own? I don't see how you could objectively rate Sony last.

And I don't see how they can objectively be rated anything else. I stated my reasons why, and you'll notice that at the end of the podcast, it was practically unanimous.

No, I don't own a PS3. I'm still waiting for a personal killer app, and it's yet to emerge. DC Universe is the first game to make me think about it.

I'm off to lunch.

Jag22

Banned
Private Hoffman said:
God of War 3
Infamous
Little Big Planet
MotorStorm 2
Uncharted 2
Heavy Rain
Flower
Fat princess
PixelJunk Eden
GT5
WipeoutHD

vs.

Resistance 2
Killzone 2
MAG
SOCOM

Uncharted isn't a shooter?

Kintaro

Jag22 said:
Uncharted isn't a shooter?

If you want to throw anything with a gun into the mix, then the market really turns into 90% "shooter" and 10% everything else.

Jag22

Banned
Kintaro said:
If you want to throw anything with a gun into the mix, then the market really turns into 90% "shooter" and 10% everything else.

But 90% of the game is manually aiming and shooting. I don't see how it's not a shooter. You might as well say Gears of War isn't a shooter.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Jag22 said:
But 90% of the game is manually aiming and shooting. I don't see how it's not a shooter. You might as well say Gears of War isn't a shooter.

Action/Adventure/Platformer.

Kintaro

Kagari said:
Action/Adventure/Platformer.

This. There's platforming, exploration and more to it than just shooting. With your logic, you could call Mega Man a shooter since you're shooting tons of baddies while navigating the levels.

Jag22

Banned
Kintaro said:
This. There's platforming, exploration and more to it than just shooting. With your logic, you could call Mega Man a shooter since you're shooting tons of baddies while navigating the levels.

It's a 3rd person shooter with platforming. There's a huge difference between Mega Man and Uncharted.

:edit: And no matter what you call it, it still plays like a shooter. So someone who's not interested in shooters, wouldn't like Uncharted. Since you're playing it as a 3rd person shooter 90% of the game. Especially towards the end when the game becomes Doom.

Shins said:
You can't objectively rate anything. :p
Jag22 said:
And no matter what you call it, it still plays like a shooter. So someone who's not interested in shooters, wouldn't like Uncharted. Since you're playing it as a 3rd person shooter 90% of the game. Especially towards the end when the game becomes Doom.
Chapters 18-21
where you have to fight those zombie monsters/Francis Drake's crew
was absolutely atrocious. Chapter 22 was really cool, though.

Top Bottom