• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1UP Yours - 7/25/08

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Not sure how being able to install games on the 360 is raising the defcon level in the war with retail. You'll still need your disc and where the hell are people going to buy their hard drives? Retail.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
2 hours and 37 minutes?
Hot DAMN!

I'm not even done with 1upfm yet.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Kintaro said:
Not sure how being able to install games on the 360 is raising the defcon level in the war with retail. You'll still need your disc and where the hell are people going to buy their hard drives? Retail.
He's hinting the prospect of Direct Download full titles, I guess.

The toy story ride isn't that new (at least in Disney World). I remember me and a friend going on at least 5 times because it was so great. The best thing to do is to just keep that thing spinning the entire time.

Nevermind, I didn't know there was a true new one. Wow, I want to go and try it now.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
wmat said:

True enough.

Edit: WTF Shane. "I'll begrudgingly buy it..." WTF man. If you don't like what they're doing, don't buy it! Don't bitch about it then say "...but I'll still buy it!"

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
wmat said:
This isn't related.
But I think it's time to start sniffin' around..
Can we please get someone who's in the right position to ask Microsoft what their plans are for making XBLA/Xbox Originals backwards compatible with the next Xbox?
I've been looking back at all arcade titles I own and the 2 Xbox originals on my harddrive and can't help but wonder what exactly is gonna happen to them. The 360 still has a lot of life left in it, but I have a feeling the next two years or so are going to go by extremely quick. It's not really even the financial investment that bugs me, it's the thought of the very few timeless classics.

FartOfWar

Banned
Kinitari said:
Sooo.... EGM says Con = Vader is broken. 1upyours says Vader > Yoda.

.... Hmmm?

Where is this coming from? You can't throw Yoda. Fuck him, he's too good if anything. He has a ton of low/high mixups on top of it. Vader/Yoda arguments sound like console warz to me. Remember SC2? Did anyone really care whether they played Spawn or Heihachi?

Grecco

FartOfWar said:
Where is this coming from? You can't throw Yoda. Fuck him, he's too good if anything. He has a ton of low/high mixups on top of it. Vader/Yoda arguments sound like console warz to me. Remember SC2? Did anyone really care whether they played Spawn or Heihachi?

Nobody cared cause everybody kinda was playing Link :)

FartOfWar said:
Wow, that is pretty cheap.

Grecco said:
Nobody cared cause everybody kinda was playing Link :)

Never when I played SC2 with others did we play with Link or any of the other broken bonus characters.

FartOfWar said:

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3168981 said:
The Xbox 360 version's advantage rests with its exclusive guest Star Wars character, Yoda. The PS3 version is saddled with Darth Vader, but Yoda is the better character of the two, as he's sprightly and nimble, as opposed to the slow and lumbering Vader. Their Force powers are good for yanking people in and setting them up for combos (à la Mortal Kombat's Scorpion and his "Get over here!" spear), but the Jedi masters' move sets are pretty bland overall, reeking of missed opportunity. Why, for example, wasn't one of Darth Vader's hold moves an invisible dark side chokehold? Why doesn't Yoda calmly drop an X-wing on your head with his throw move?

Grecco

Linkzg said:
Never when I played SC2 with others did we play with Link or any of the other broken bonus characters.

I liked playing as link a litle on the broken side though

Having said that its kind of silly now because you will most likely get the other through dlc anyways.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Hm, I would have figured NAMCO would have broken the rules just to make Yoda tall enough to at least make the animations work. I can't really see how that is fair.

Seriously... 2.5hrs...

Thanks for the great show as always guys. Love the long-form, old style 1UP Yours episodes - and this is one.

FartOfWar

Banned
Y2Kev said:
Hm, I would have figured NAMCO would have broken the rules just to make Yoda tall enough to at least make the animations work. I can't really see how that is fair.

It's not. He's there for people who buy the game just to unlock costume parts and acheivements.

FartOfWar said:
Not even low, ground, or air throws work on him. He was too tiny for any of the animations to synch.
That is some BS, throws are a huge part of my game, thank god all my friends aren't planning on playing as him.

Rolf NB

So casual games don't take much practice to play? Wow, congratulations David Ellis, what a brilliant observation!

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
bcn-ron said:
So casual games don't take much practice to play? Wow, congratulations David Ellis, what a brilliant observation!

Yet you felt the uncontrollable urge to hop online and comment on it. :lol

EDIT: Oh, and before I forget.

timeshift-av.jpg

:lol :lol :lol

"One ping only..." 1:23:49

Was that Garnett? Hilarious.

Enjoying this one a lot. This and GFW Radio comprise some high points in my week and I'm not just saying that because Shawn posted after my post :D

Johnkers

FartOfWar said:
It's not. He's there for people who buy the game just to unlock costume parts and acheivements.

No way, he's there to make the game appeal to the non SC fanbase. Just like Link sold SC2 (I can't imagine people picking it up for Spawn or Heihachi) or Mario characters in EA sports games

TTG

I wouldn't mind if the next xbox had a 250 gig hard drive and all games were available for purchase on xbox live. Just makes it that much easier. Also, why not "rent" them out for a week or something, if they could do that, it would be great.

TTG said:
I wouldn't mind if the next xbox had a 250 gig hard drive and all games were available for purchase on xbox live. Just makes it that much easier. Also, why not "rent" them out for a week or something, if they could do that, it would be great.

Gamefly integration a la the way 360 is doing Netflix (except you would d/l to your console for say a 1 week license like XBL Video Marketplace instead of streaming) would be pretty interesting.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
lybertyboy said:
Yet you felt the uncontrollable urge to hop online and comment on it. :lol

EDIT: Oh, and before I forget.

timeshift-av.jpg

:lol :lol :lol
After playing Killzone 2, how are you feeling about the possibilities of the multiplayer mode? Are you excited? Do you see potential?

nib95

Banned
FartOfWar said:
Not even low, ground, or air throws work on him. He was too tiny for any of the animations to synch.

Is that actually true? Wouldn't that really unbalance gameplay between fighters?

Doel

Great show once again.

No one there seems to have any optimism for MAG. I feel like if they had a more interesting name, people would be more excited. Even though SOCOM 3 was shit, Zipper did create SOCOM 1 & 2, and even though the lead designer on those games is gone (David Sears), I think people should have a little more faith in the game.

Zipper was limited by hardware and the SOCOM franchise on the PS2. Now they are freed of both and have the chance to really pull of something big. They've been working on the game, at least conceptually, since 2005. So I imagine its farther along then people think.

DuckRacer

Doel said:
Great show once again.

No one there seems to have any optimism for MAG. I feel like if they had a more interesting name, people would be more excited. Even though SOCOM 3 was shit, Zipper did create SOCOM 1 & 2, and even though the lead designer on those games is gone (David Sears), I think people should have a little more faith in the game.

Zipper was limited by hardware and the SOCOM franchise on the PS2. Now they are freed of both and have the chance to really pull of something big. They've been working on the game, at least conceptually, since 2005. So I imagine its farther along then people think.
There's three things limiting MAG's hype:

1) The name (seriously, it's stupid)

2) We don't know much about the game

3) and the debut trailer was the same old standard, uninspired, "woo there's a war going on" trailer you see for a bunch of games.

If they had a well-cut gameplay trailer and more info on the game, and actually put some thought into the name, the game would likely be the biggest game of E3.

Doel

Duck said:
There's three things limiting MAG's hype:

1) The name (seriously, it's stupid)

2) We don't know much about the game

3) and the debut trailer was the same old standard, uninspired, "woo there's a war going on" trailer you see for a bunch of games.

If they had a well-cut gameplay trailer and more info on the game, and actually put some thought into the name, the game would likely be the biggest game of E3.
I agree with all of those points. I just thought people would put more faith behind the developer above all else.

Top Bottom