• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castle Crashers = 1800 points?! (Nope, not 1800)

eznark said:
no, you can purchase whatever you'd like, I'm simply stating my preference.

How long did it take you to beat the game, how much content is there?

I have no idea, but I'm sure I will before it comes out.

I guess the issue I had was that your preference had nothing to do with quality of the game but rather the precedent of a price point. Naturally, you're welcome to that preference, just as I am welcome to be kind of miffed at the concept, as a barely paid content provider myself.

botticus

gregor7777 said:
Same here.

If the games are worth $15-20, then pay $15-20. If you don't feel the games are worth that much, then don't pay.

Who the fuck cares about the method of distribution? What does it matter if you drove to a store and bought it, downloaded it, or it was delivered by flying monkeys?

/meltdown
Consider that a number of people factor resale value in what they pay for games. The resale value of downloadable games is approximately zero dollars.

EazyB

Banned
It may be smarter for them to release chunks of this $25 game so the price of entree wouldn't be as intimidating. I don't know much about the game but remember there being a variety of game modes. So, let gamers play a mode for $10, have the option of adding the other for $5, maybe a smaller one for $2, and so on until the whole package is $25.

Whilst I doubt the runours are true, its still 1/3 of the cost of a retail game and I'm sure as hell looking forward to Castle Crashers than the vast majority of retail games.

EazyB said:
It may be smarter for them to release chunks of this $25 game so the price of entree wouldn't be as intimidating. I don't know much about the game but remember there being a variety of game modes. So, let gamers play a mode for $10, have the option of adding the other for $5, maybe a smaller one for $2, and so on until the whole package is $25.

I hope they don't. I want to play the main quest with my friends and then unwind with a nice spin in the Food Eating Battle Game. I don't want to have to wait until October for that.

Mamesj

Banned
OMG TWENTY DOLLAIRS THAT'S LIKE TWO WEEKS OF ALLOWANCE

oh wait, that's right, I just got 5000 free points for designing cars for MS. :lol

either way, this seems worth it. Every time there's news about this game, it's some significant new addition of content. Oh, and it's shaping up to be the best beat em up game ever.

botticus said:
Consider that a number of people factor resale value in what they pay for games. The resale value of downloadable games is approximately zero dollars.

True, but with the game mongering that goes on here at GAF I'm pretty sure we're just bitching about the price of a DD game solely because it's a DD game.

Mrbob

I'm just pissed castle crashers an odd point price.

1800 points, really? God I really hate MS point program. Just let me buy the game for the price it is listed at.

Oh and yes 22.50 is too much for this game. I'll get the demo but I'm waiting for a 15 dollar sale on Live now.

Can't wait to see 50 dollar live arcade games.

sullytao

I have been willing for years to go as high as 1200pts for Castle Crashers but 1800 seems to have pushed it abit too far. I'l check out the demo and reviews but its gone from insta buy to a possible.

eznark

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
I have no idea, but I'm sure I will before it comes out.

I guess the issue I had was that your preference had nothing to do with quality of the game but rather the precedent of a price point. Naturally, you're welcome to that preference, just as I am welcome to be kind of miffed at the concept, as a barely paid content provider myself.

damn, I figured since you had already judged the game worthy of the price you had played it.

I'm not passing on the game because I don't think Castle Crashers is worth it, I'll be passing on it because I don't want to encourage the price ceiling to creep up. Inevitably it will, but that doesn't mean I have to be on the cutting edge of it. Price will respond to demand and I personally refuse to be push the price.

Mamesj said:
OMG TWENTY DOLLAIRS THAT'S LIKE TWO WEEKS OF ALLOWANCE

oh wait, that's right, I just got 5000 free points for designing cars for MS. :lol

either way, this seems worth it.

It'd pretty funny to see the reaction to a thread entitled "Castle Crashers BOMBA = $22.49 EVERYWHERE!!!"

Brak

Do I have to pay more money to see 'The Dark Knight' or 'Wall-E'? No.

The videogame industry is stupid.

goldenpp72 said:
1800 is a retarded price, they dont even sell 1800 point cards.

If I had an issue with this, it would certainly be that. It's an odd denomination. 1600pts would garner more sales, IMO.

Proelite

Sinatar said:
How exactly is $20 too expensive for a huge coop beatemup/rpg with tons of unlockables and whatnot?

Rachet & Clank: Quest for Booty is $15 on PSN and its the equivalent of a full 3d retail game. There is a precedence set for such price/content ratio and I believe CC is breaking it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I will definitely not purchase this for 1800 points. If they want to price it that high they should just do a retail release or something.

Isn't this just a classic beat-em-up style game? It looks pretty fun and Alien Hominid (same developers, right?) was mildly entertaining, but I won't pay this much for it.

I use to have an extra controller but used it on my pc too much and it broke so now I’m looking at £30+ just to get the most out of it (sad face)
Still Im a diehard Newgrounds fan so ill suport them.

Proelite said:
Rachet & Clank: Quest for Booty is $15 on PSN and its the equivalent of a full 3d retail game. There is a precedence set for such price/content ratio and I believe CC is breaking it.

It's as long as Tools Of Destruction?

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Sinatar said:
How exactly is $20 too expensive for a huge coop beatemup/rpg with tons of unlockables and whatnot?

Exactly. If this was $19.99 at retail I bet no-one would be complaining.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Thought it looked just like Alien Hominid, but I dont like rpg's so I'll pass, will try the demo though....at least you get a demo guys! free!

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Wow at the cheap ass knee jerk reactions. Cheap bastards. Jesus fucking tits this reaction is insane.

I will try the demo and judge based upon that.

It's incredibly freaking stupid to pass on the game based upon the price. Base your decision upon what you're purchasing.

epmode

Zefah said:
I will definitely not purchase this for 1800 points. If they want to price it that high they should just do a retail release or something.
WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE?????

(I doubt I'll buy, myself. I don't care enough about beat-em-ups to pay that much. I'd have considered it for $15)

weehomer

If this is true, add me in with the people who won't be buying it. And I've been waiting for this one since it was announced. Too bad.

Put it on a disc for that price, and I would probably buy it, though.

Proelite said:

Doesn't quest for booty have only four levels? If it's a full game then that's an incredible deal but from what I read (and I might be wrong) it's short (3 hours of gameplay or so) and they will be charging more for additional levels as time goes on.

eznark

Banned
jetjevons said:

I'd buy it for $20 at a store (if its as good as it looks) because that would not be precedent setting. If Castle Crashers is indeed this expensive it sets a new price ceiling for XBLA games, so the comparisons don't really work. It would be more like Halo 4 being the first game to have the standard edition cost $80 instead of $60.

It's a step I don't really want to support.

Anybody care to list content this game has. Not following all details here so don't know anything.

It may have enough content worth 1800 points, but people won't accept this price easily. I think game will do much more in sales if priced between 1200 to 1500 points.

Downloadable games are very much front loaded. People move on very fast on to new releases. Instead of selling it for discounted price in future, they should sale it for special promotion price at launch.

Petrie

Banned
gregor7777 said:
Same here.

Who the fuck cares about the method of distribution? What does it matter if you drove to a store and bought it, downloaded it, or it was delivered by flying monkeys?

/meltdown

Because having it on a disk with resale value, no DRM, the ability to lend to friends, easily take with you, etc, makes $20 for a disk release much easier to swallow. For a download, not so much. Throw it on a disk and put it at retail and I'd gladly pay that much, but for a download, I'll now be waiting for some impressions.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
19.99 for a retail product is kind of different. I'm a big fan of DD, but all the perks of retail are not quite there yet. I don't like making a straight comparison.

The biggest problem for me is that this is basically a 3600 point game now for me since I need to play this in coop. I was gonna pick up a 1600 point card for Braid and this but it seems like I won't be able to do that now. Maybe I will just check out Braid and Bionic Commando for the time being and pick this up next time I see a sale on the points cards.

GhaleonEB

gregor7777 said:
Same here.

If the games are worth $15-20, then pay $15-20. If you don't feel the games are worth that much, then don't pay.

/meltdown
I would actually be willing to pay a premium for flying monkey delivery.

jetjevons said:

No one would be objecting to those prices if either this or Braid was a disc release. As we've already seen with Aquaria, GAF tends to assume that games are somehow inherently worth less when they're only released in downloadable form.

I can see the benefits of a disc, to be fair, but most of you are still overreacting.

mollipen

Had this been on a disc, people would have loved the fact that it was priced at $20. (Already been said, but I'm saying it again.)

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
This has been flying around for a few hours now, The Behemoth could quite easily have quashed these rumours by now.

Their silence on the subject speaks volumes.

MirageDwarf said:
Anybody care to list content this game has. Not following all details here so don't know anything.

It may have enough content worth 1800 points, but people won't accept this price easily. I think game will do much more in sales if priced between 1200 to 1500 points.

Downloadable games are very much front loaded. People move on very fast on to new releases. Instead of selling it for discounted price in future, they should sale it for special promotion price at launch.

Hack, slash, and smash your way to victory in this red-hot arcade adventure from the award-winning development studio, The Behemoth! Featuring hand-drawn characters, Castle Crashers® delivers unique hi-res illustrated visuals like nothing you've ever seen before.

Play with up to three friends locally or over Xbox LIVE® and discover the mind-boggling magic and mystery in the amazing world we have created just for you. Save your princess, defend your kingdom, and crash some castles! Play with more than 20 unlockable characters, 40 weapons to customize your hero, and an arsenal of combos and magical attacks to choose from.

Intuitive combo and magic system: Unlock new combos and magical attacks as your character progresses through the game. You have an almost limitless amount of combos to perform alone, or with a group of friends.

Arena mode: This mode allows players to battle each other head-on with four unique modes to choose from!

Experience system: As you fight your way through the various levels of Castle Crashers, your character gains more experience points that will in return give you the option to adjust your four main stats -- Strength, Magic, Defense, and Agility.

Weapons weapons weapons! Each player has the ability to unlock more than 40 weapons.
Animal orbs: These little companions add enhancements to your attributes. Each pet has different abilities to benefit you, with various ways of unlocking each one. Defeat a boss and steal his companion, dig them up, or buy them at a store.

Treasure hunt: Unlockable items, weapons, pet companions, and characters are buried throughout the various levels of Castle Crashers.

Stores: Spread across the various worlds of Castle Crashers, every store has specific items to sell. Collect gold from killing enemies, finding treasures, or opening chests, then take your collected gold to these stores for some weapons, items, character unlocks, and more!

Seems hefty enough.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
epmode said:
WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE?????

(I doubt I'll buy, myself. I don't care enough about beat-em-ups to pay that much. I'd have considered it for $15)

The difference is that XBLA is all about cheaper, smaller, bite-size titles or ports of old games. Most games on XBLA are around 800 - 1200 points and that price range seems to be getting accepted as the standard. It is annoying to have developers / publishers think they are special and above set standards. There needs to be some reasonable price scheme that isn't completely random (you can't even buy just 1800 points!). If this was a PSN release where you could simply pay the exact amount of $22.50 or whatever and didn't have to deal with a wacky point scheme then there wouldn't be as much of a problem, but you will end up having to pay more than that to buy this and you will be left with some points that you may or may not use in the future.

I am just worried that this will set a precedent for other publishers to overprice their XBLA titles. I will try the demo of the game and if it is mindblowingly amazing I will pick it up, but I still don't agree with this price.

Top Bottom