• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

52 Games - 1 Year Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Game 37. Towerfall Ascension. PS4
Played through Quest mode with my daughter and then did trials. Very cool game. I thought quest mode would be a lot longer though

GLuigi

Game #51: Inazuma Eleven - 23 Hours
Neat little RPG/Soccer game. I had a little trouble getting used to the touch screen controls in the beginning, but the game does a good job explaining it little by little instead of dumping it all on you. The best feature of this game is easily the ability to plan out your player's defending/attacking routes whenever the game is paused or whenever you need to defend the ball/avoid a tackle. It easily allows you to come up with a back up plan in case your initial plan goes wrong. The weirdest thing about the game is that the START button brings you to the title screen (after a confirmation). I can't tell you how many times (in the beginning) i lost my progress just because i thought i was going into the menu.

Updated Post

ONE MORE TO GO!

I had to drop Tales of Symphonia:DotNW. The monster collecting thing wasn't really clicking for me and it just felt like I would have to force myself to finish the game. I will probably pick it up again if i have absolutely nothing else to play. Instead, I decided to work on Tales of Xillia. On the 3DS side, I'm working on playing Weapon Shop de Omasse.

Game 30: F.E.A.R (PC)
Original Post

header_292x136.jpg

Gameplay Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5

Steam Review
Imagine Michael Bay making a movie after binging on those Americanised-Japanese horror movies from ~2000 (The Eye, The Grudge, The Ring, etc), for me this is basically 'F.E.A.R'. I loved it.

It's a First Person Shooter with some horror elements, it mixes the 'bullet-time' features of the Max Payne franchise, with some dark, twisted horror images from Fatal Frame. The story is pretty straight-forward (much like the corridors you'll spend most of your time walking through), but does it's best to be mysterious as it dripfeeds news and information to you via laptops and answering machine messages left behind.
In truth the story isn't really the hook for the game, or at least it wasn't for me. I was drawn in by the bullet-time mechanic where you can slow down time and rip carnage into the enemies who try to stop you as you hunt down Paxton Fettel. There was some strangely satisfying about turning a corner in slow-motion, and blasting your cannon like shotgun into the soldiers and heavily armed troops. The red mist of blood, and the giblets of limbs and organs spraying, slowly and awkwardly across the room. I'm not crazy or anything, but the visuals and warped audio mix just gave the feature 'something', something extra to Max Payne which is perhaps best known for it's bullet-time.
Besides, I'm a total sucker for insane ragdoll physic deaths... you know what; I'm not doing a good job of painting myself as a mentally sane, upstanding member of society here, am I.

Moving on.

Visually the game has held up since it's release in 2005, even if I did mistakenly start playing without checking the graphic settings (which were all on LOW to begin with). So do yourself a favour and ramp all the settings up to maximum if your rig can handle it. If not, don't worry it'll still look decent for a 10 year old game.
The only real issue I had was with the audio, which seemed strangely unbalanced and left you feeling like your guy had the loudest footsteps in the world. However, in saying that (and I'm no expert) the guns made a great noise, and the bullet cases/shells hitting the floor was pretty satisfying too.

In short, F.E.A.R was a fun, FPS game with a few jump scares based around it's 2000 era horror drawn inspiration. A very linear game made memorable be a few setplays, shotguns and bullet-time. Don't wait a decade to play this game like I did.

I can dig it! Also added Pushmo World to In Progress.

Game #28: Shovel Knight (Wii U) - 4 hours, 39 mins, 4 secs (Finished)
55 deaths, 80% items. A very nice melding of old aesthetics and modern design. You can tell a bunch of love went into this one. And now Shovel Knight can be in the next Smash Bros. cuz he's awesome. I do plan on getting 100% items and I'll update this when I do.

StingX2

Game 47: The Wolf Among Us Episode 2: Smoke And Mirrors - 2 Hours
(Started 7/22/14 / Finished 7/22/14)
This episode really wasn't as good as the first but it was in no way a Back to The Future Episode 2 waste of time. Smoke and Mirrors is a good chapter that tries to force some things towards the end. A couple of great Holy hell moments though.

Op, 5 to go

olimpia84

Added two more

Game 24: Tales of Xillia (PS3) - 34hs+
# Very fun JRPG that does a lot of things right. Story is good, character development is good, but the biggest positive is the combat system. Game feels just right in terms of length and I didn't mind the somewhat linear progression and structure of the game.

Game 25: PS All Stars Battle Royale (PS3) - 10hs+
# Started this over a year ago but finally decided to make the final push and get the platinum in the game by finishing the game with the remaining characters. Unfortunately this is not a very good game, it lacks the charm and soul that SSB games have and a big part of that is the roster which is missing some key mascots.

Ceallach

Game 38. Dead Nation: Apocalypse Edition, PS4
Simple top down shooter, played through it coop with my daughter. Downer of an ending though.

Game 39. The Wolf Among Us Episode 1, Faith. PC
As a huge Fables fan I've been waiting for all the eps to be out to get started and boy is it good and am I excited to see where the series goes.

I really need to actually update my OP

Wazzy

Banned
Game #6: Persona 3 - 32 hours 3 minutes

So I just beat another boss and now I'm waiting for the message that Tartarus has opened up more. I can't recall which floor I was cut off at but I know I've gotten further than 110. Really liking the story and the school music change. I think I've got every party member now. My team is Akihiko, Koro and Yukari.

Game # 7: Final Fantasy XIV - ???
I hit 47 today and beat Garuda last night which was fun. I'm going to try and make it to 50 by the end of the week. This has become one of my favourite MMO's.

Game 57: Strider / 6 hrs

I loved this so much, thank you PS+. A few hours longer would've been perfect IMO, but still left me wanting more. Not 100% metroidvania but it still scratched the itch.

Also added Wolf among Us ep 5 and Walking Dead ep 4 to thier respective slots. IMO that WD ep was fantastic, the first one to really grab me this season.

StingX2

Game 48: Worms - 10 Hours
(Started 6/14/08 / Finished 7/23/14)
Started this back up a few days ago and got thru challenge 19 which stonewalled me from completing this back in 2008. Challenge 20 came down to sudden death 1 worm vs 1 worm with 1 health each. The AI had the higher ground so I had one shot to make. I fired my bazooka...but it was too low. AND THEN IT BOUNCED OFF THE WATER RIGHT INTO THE AI WORM'S FACE. Game completed. :O

OP, 4 to go

Yasawas

My original post is now too long so I'll need to start another:

Game 44: Infamous: Second Son (PS4) 23/7/14

This is easily the worst game I've finished for this project and had I not paid £40 for it, known it was short and turned it down to Easy halfway through I wouldn't have bothered. It's impressive how boring it manages to be for an open-world game about a dude with superpowers. It starts off quite well I thought, the city looks nice and the first batch of abilities you get are fun if a little limited but you soon realise that after that first hour you've seen pretty much everything you're going to see and it really is just an endless, joyless quest to fight another group of guys and move to the next waypoint so you can do it again (unless you really like collecting shit or exploring a city with nothing to do in it) and holy fuck what a chore it is.

Periodically you unlock new skills which is the undoubted highlight of the game and can provide as much as twenty minutes of fun before you accept that it's the same thing you had before with a different skin on. For all the skills you acquire the combat is rarely better than tedious and the boss fights are more a test of patience than skill (this was where I put the difficulty down.) The cutscenes are excruciating, dialogue often doesn't match up with the subtitles (which could've done with a spellcheck on them too btw) and of course they can't be skipped because God forbid you would want to miss the drama and twists of a story I could've written when I was eight. Utterly appalling. And they didn't even spring for a proper Nirvana song for the end credits either :(

Game 45: Kirby's Epic Yarn (Wii) 26/7/14

It's hard to know how to rate a game where you can't die. I gold-starred the vast majority of the levels but interest was waning a little toward the end so I stopped forcing myself to do it and plodded along. It's sickening adorable and that charm is what pulled me through, the fabric effects are absolutely tremendous. There are a lot of great ideas in here and the bosses especially are nicely done but without that risk/reward it all feels a bit hollow.

Game 46: Rockman X/Mega Man X (SFC/WiiU) 26/7/14

I bought this for the Super Famicom two years ago, got as far as Sigma's Dog and reluctantly gave in. Since then I bought it on the Wii U intending to go back to it someday but it was only while looking through my game stuff on Google Drive earlier I realised I still had my password for the final stages and this challenge would be a good reason to see this ou so I fired it up at that point and carried on. This game is hard in a way I cannot deal with and there's no way I'd have beaten that final boss without using a save state at the start of each new phase although I could've made it a lot easier for myself if I'd known what energy tanks were I guess. Overall not my thing and likely my first and last Mega Man game.

Game 47: Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty (PS4) 2/814

I quite enjoyed this in between the numerous crashes and occasional corrupting of my saves. I never played any of the original games but I got swept along in the hype of the release thread here and gave it a go. It is rough as all fuck but the puzzles themselves are solid and fun throughout. I hate the artstyle (why I didn't play the originals) but that's entirely subjective and I'm sure others love it. A mixed bag then - ugly and fun but ultimately impossible to recommend at £18.

Game 48: Professor Layton and the Curious Village (DS) 6/814

I started with the second trilogy and enjoyed those so I thought I'd go back to these as they're good for the commute. This is actually my favourite of the four I've played so far as the ratio of puzzles to walking about and chatting is much higher than in the later games. Also Luke does an odd hilarious face from time to time which gifted me a new avatar I never get sick of looking at.

Game 49: The Swapper (PS4) 10/814

Having spent all that money on a PS4 means I now get to play all the games most of you guys finished with a year or more ago, it's really cool. I'm still working on Rogue Legacy but I have finished The Swapper.

I thought it was downright excellent to be honest. Really atmospheric (the music! :swoon:) and a great, unique look achieved by making all the things out of plasticine apparently. The progression is handled well as you have a fair bit of leeway to explore the main ship if you get hopelessly stuck in one of the puzzle rooms, and I did on a couple, and the abundance of teleporters makes whizzing around the map effortless. The mechanics are very pared back - you can make up to four clones of yourself and choose to take control of any you have line of sight with, with some restrictions later - and they never really add to this beyond what you see in the opening hour which sounds like a negative but they get a lot of mileage out of them and I never felt I was doing the same thing over and over.

I often get "puzzle fatigue" in games like this (I finished Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty the other week which I enjoyed overall but gave me this affliction) whereby the act of moving forward into yet another room which I need to scope out and explore and experiment with becomes tiresome in and of itself regardless of how satisfying the puzzles are to solve but that was never an issue here. Partly I think because the rooms are so small and self-contained they're never intimidating scale-wise, and also because there are no enemies or environmental hazards of any kind so I felt encouraged to just sit back a bit and idly peruse my surroundings whilst enjoying some lovely tea and occasionally a tangerine. It was all very relaxing. There's a story but it was too clever for me until a bit right near the end which I got and then ruined the mood of by making my dude dance in an awkward marionette style while some very serious business played out. This game was excellent.

Game 50: Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius (SFC) 16/814

This is fantastic. I never played any of these at the time and I doubt most (any?) of them came out in Europe anyway so I picked this up on a bit of a whim. I'm not crazy into shmups but I've enjoyed Ikaruga, Gradius V and Ketsui in the past and good though they were, none of them let you be a flying cat shouting kana insults through a megaphone to defeat enemies. This game is beyond stupid in terms of characters, setting, music and the addition of commentator constantly yelping at you (you can turn him off but it hardly seems in the spirit of the thing) but the actual gameplay and mechanics are those of a very solid shooter. Solid as in well-designed with regard to upgrades and scoring and solid in the sense of being pretty fucking hard. I had a great time with it and will be keeping an eye out for a copy of Gokujou Parodius at a decent price.

Game 51:Star Fox (SFC) 16/814

I played through this so many times as a kid but could barely remember any of it, this playthough was a delightful nostalgic jaunt and as a dirty European the first time I've ever played it at the right speed and without massive black bars. Nowhere near as hideous-looking as I'd expected despite me playing it on a far from optimal setup (42" LCD through composite. Yep) and once I'd adjusted to the framerate I was zooming and barrel-rollin' all over the place with the cocksure space swagger I had last exhibited 20 years ago. This is still a really fun game to play, there's a ton of content with the alternate routes and the forced simplicity of the graphics has left it looking a lot better than you might've feared. I enjoyed this a lot more than the 3DS game.

Game 52: World of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck (MD) 16/814

And this is how it ends. I was reminiscing with my dad about the MegaDrive this morning and we both fondly remembered this as it had a sick co-op mode we played through a number of times. We both loved the console but I was too dumb for Lemmings and he too slow for Sonic so this was a good common ground. It's easy yes, but it's charming as hell and reminds me of good times so glad I got to experience it again although it's a shame I had to solo it.

Original post.

Adahn

Original Post

Total: 30/52

June's games (yes yes, bit behind!):

Game 26: Monster Monpiece (Vita) 32 hours

Well. What can I say, really? I'd been interested in this game for quite a while - I wanted to know whether the underlying mechanics of the CCG element of the game outweighed the overtly ridiculous vita rubbing. In case you didn't know then, this is a CCG game where you can power up the cards (which are all depictions of females) by rubbing them. Powering them up also rewards you with new card art where the girls are wearing less clothes. After finishing the whole game and grinding (no pun intended) through hours of buggy to the point of crashing rubbing I can confirm this isn't a hidden gem and it's just a bit naff.

Game 27: Resogun (PS4) c. 6 hours

After getting bored of never turning on the shiny PS4 hiding behind my TV I figured I'd finally give Resogun a go. And what a fabulous little gem this is! A corking little shmup with great mechanics I found it quite hard to believe it came from the same dev team as Dead Nation after I had trouble clicking with that one. It's great for a short score attack blast and great for a long work your way through the whole game kinda session - I just need to remember to return to it at some point now that the DLC has added a ton of user ships to the mix.

Game 28: Call of Duty: United Offensive (PC) c 8 hours

So, the rule I'm using here for what counts as a 'game' is that it's an individual item accessed by itself, and not through another 'game'. So, TWD and TWAU are being counted as one game, and as this is a different Steam icon from CoD I'm counting it apart from CoD, even though it was an expansion. Anyway..... yeah, very much more of the same as original CoD, albeit with more set pieces and nicer explosions. And once again the American campaign was a bit poo - getting worried that might end up being a CoD thing...

Game 29: PlayStation Vita Pets (Vita) 14 hours

Before I started playing this I figured it would be hit or miss, with the casting vote held by my four year old and how she got on with it. As Sony continue to pump out the odd title aimed at kids they clearly think there's a chance to sell the console to a slightly younger demographic and expand their market a little. PSV Pets misses the mark however - it's too slow, too annoying to get to the activity you want to do and adds nothing you couldn't get from any other pet game elsewhere. Except maybe for dogs with voices. Notable for coming from the same devs who made the RPG Silver a million years ago.

Game 30: Broken Sword 5 - The Serpent's Curse - Episode 2 (Vita) 6-7 hours

Some excellent puzzles here which felt like a good return to form for the franchise. The split in the game, however, was a bit silly in hindsight and hurt the product in an overall sense. Certainly worth checking out if you are an adventure game fan though - especially as you are hardly drowning with choice on the Vita!

My original post is now too long so I'll need to start another:

Game 43: Infamous: Second Son (PS4) 23/7/14

This is easily the worst game I've finished for this project and had I not paid £40 for it, known it was short and turned it down to Easy halfway through I wouldn't have bothered. It's impressive how boring it manages to be for an open-world game about a dude with superpowers. It starts off quite well I thought, the city looks nice and the first batch of abilities you get are fun if a little limited but you soon realise that after that first hour you've seen pretty much everything you're going to see and it really is just an endless, joyless quest to fight another group of guys and move to the next waypoint so you can do it again (unless you really like collecting shit or exploring a city with nothing to do in it) and holy fuck what a chore it is.

Periodically you unlock new skills which is the undoubted highlight of the game and can provide as much as twenty minutes of fun before you accept that it's the same thing you had before with a different skin on. For all the skills you acquire the combat is rarely better than tedious and the boss fights are more a test of patience than skill (this was where I put the difficulty down.) The cutscenes are excruciating, dialogue often doesn't match up with the subtitles (which could've done with a spellcheck on them too btw) and of course they can't be skipped because God forbid you would want to miss the drama and twists of a story I could've written when I was eight. Utterly appalling. And they didn't even spring for a proper Nirvana song for the end credits either :(

Original post.

Man, these are exactly the fears I had about this game based on finished inFAMOUS this year too. I haven't touched inFAMOUS 2 and don't really want to get Second Son until it's really cheap, as I got the impression from trailers it was going to be just a really visually impressive version of the first game again.

I really understand where you're coming from in this right up, if only based on what I've experienced in the first game.

StingX2

Game 49: The Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition - 12 Hours
(Started 7/22/09 / Finished 7/23/14)
Ignore my embarrassing total playtime! I took a nap while the game was on so that's what I'm left with. I started this originally as a refresher to play the second game and just lost interest in it 5 years back. Its a good remake but probably not a game I'd recommend playing twice in a lifetime.

OP, 3 to go

GLuigi

Game #52: Weapon Shop de Omasse - 9 Hours
This is one of those games where within the first 15 minutes you will have seen everything this game has to offer. Half of the game is building weapons (via rhythm game) and polishing them to increase their staff after someone has used them. The other half is choosing which weapons to rent out and reading up on their journeys on something that parodies Twitter. The only reason why I stuck through the end was to find out where each customer's story was headed and to see each of their endings. I actually finished the final boss with every Normal customer thinking I would get a cool secret ending. But nope, all I did was unlock endless mode SCREW THAT.

And done! I had a lot of fun doing this. Im going to see how many more games I can finish before the end of the year.

1-49
50-52

I count dlc/episodes as a "game" if I play them separately from the main game/eachother.

Reposting:

1. 140 (pc)
2. Assassin's Creed IV: Freedom Cry DLC (ps4)
3. Super Mario 3D World (wiiu)
4. Resogun (ps4)
5. Cook, Serve, Delicious (ipad)
6. Knack (ps4)
7. the Wolf Among Us: Episode 2 (pc)
8. the Last of Us: Left Behind DLC (ps3)
9. Peggle 2 (xo)
10. the Walking Dead - Season 2: Episode 2 (pc)
11. Titanfall (pc)
12. Infamous: Second Sun (ps4)
13. Bioshock Infinite: Burial at Sea: Episode 2 DLC (pc)
14. Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes (ps4)
15. South Park the Stick of Truth (pc)
16. Tearaway (psv)
17. One Finger Death Punch (pc)
18. the Wolf Among Us: Episode 3 (pc)
19. Shadow of the Colossus HD (ps3)
20. Battleblock Theater (360)
21. Broforce (pc)
22. Towerfall (pc)
23. Mario Golf (3ds)
24. Titanfall (xo)
25. Wolfenstein: the New Order (ps4)
26. the Wolf Among Us: Episode 4 (pc)
27. Injustice: Gods Among Us (pc)
28. Monument Valley (android)
29. Halo 4 - co-op; legendary (360)
30. Kentucky Route Zero Act III (pc)
31. Thirty Flights of Lovin (pc)
32. TMNT the Arcade Game (360)
33. Xmen the Arcade Game (360)
34. Valiant Hearts (ps4)
35. Lococycle (pc)
36. Halo 3: ODST - co-op; legendary (360)
37. Hitman GO (ipad)
38. the Wolf Among Us: Episode 5 (pc)
39. Shadows of the Damned (360)
40. Murdered: Soul Suspect (pc)
41. Killer is Dead (pc)
42. Lost Planet 3 (pc)
43. the Walking Dead: Season 2: Episode 4 (pc)
44. No More Heroes: Heroes Paradise (ps3) *move controls only*
45. Rogue Legacy (70% psvita/30% ps4) *149 deaths; 5:19
46. the Last of Us: Remastered + Left Behind (ps4) *hard*
47. the Walking Dead: Season 2: Episode 5 (pc)
48. the Expendabros (pc)
49. Halo Reach (360) co-op; legendary
50. Diablo III Ultimate Evil Edition(ps4) *lvl 70 crusader
51. Ikaruga (pc)
52. Infamous: First Light (ps4)
53. Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy (xbox)
54. Panzer Dragoon Orta (xbox) *easy mode*
55. Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks (xbox)
56. Super Mario Bros. 3 (3ds)
57. Forza Horizon 2 (xo) *2 finals*
58. Battlefield 4 (pc)
59. 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand (360) 6-7hrs
60. The Legend of Korra (pc) 4hrs; normal; died a lot
61. Destiny (ps4) lvl20 Hunter; played all strikes at least once
62. Bayonetta 2 (wiiu); 10hrs?; normal; sucked pretty badly and loved every second =)
63. Bayonetta (wiiu); 10.5 hrs; normal difficulty
64. Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3ds (3ds); > 15 hours
65. Mario Kart 8 (wiiu); ??? hrs; still trying to beat 3rd-tier cup; frustrating as hell
66. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (ps4); ~7ish hours; normal; nice graphics
67. Halo the Master Chief Collection: Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary (xo); heroic
68. Halo the Master Chief Collection: Halo 2 Anniversary (xo); heroic
69. Halo the Master Chief Collection: Halo 3 (xo); heroic
70. Tales From the Borderlands Episode 1 (pc)
71. Limbo (xo)
72. Halo the Master Chief Collection: Halo 4 (xo); heroic
73. Game of Thrones Episode 1 (xo)
74. Sunset Overdrive (xo)
75. Halo the Master Chief Collection: Halo CEA (xo); legendary; online co-op
76. Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor (pc); 30 hours; great gameplay/graphics (especially later on)

currently playing: Dragon Age Inquisition (pc); the Walking Dead S1(xo); Smash(wu); Mario Kart 7(3ds)

didn't finish: tLoZ:aLBW(3ds); DKCR(3ds); Madden 25(ps4); MLB 14 the Show(ps4); PvZ:Garden Warfare(360/PC); Vanquish(360); Batman: AOB(psv); Xcom:EU(ipad); Strider(ps4); Nidhogg(pc); Transistor(ps4); Trials Fusion(ps4);

have: pc 2500k sli 4gb 980s; 360; xbone, xbox, ps2/3/4, wii, wii u, n64, 3ds xl, vita, pstv; dreamcast; ipad air, htc one (m8); Asus Rog Swift monitor;1080p monitor; 65" "240 hz" vizio tv, 3d vision

StingX2

Game 50: Kirby's Return to Dreamland - 10 Hours
(Started 10/30/11 / Finished 7/25/14)
So if it weren't for Triple Deluxe I honestly might have not come back to this. My problem with this game is how boring the Ultimate Powers are handled especially compared to the brilliance of Triple Deluxe. Otherwise its a good game, and its ashame I can only play as Kirby in single player.

OP, 2 to go

Sendou

Some progress.

Weeks gone 29. Games beaten 30.

My Darkadia account.

Game 26: Far Cry 3 - 62 hours according to Steam but that includes idling and basically 1.5 playthroughs
# Finished main story and most of the side content on the hardest difficulty. Far Cry 3 is actually a game I pre-ordered. Yet with some problems with the uPlay account it remained in my backlog half-finished until now. Started a new playthrough since I had no idea about anything anymore. Overall I enjoyed my time with the game. The main story had some very interesting missions rivalling even the most more linear gaming experiences. That said the side content was very weak. Side quests consisted only of simple fetch mission with little else. It's your usual Ubisoft open world in the sense that there's so much content you can go for if you wish (taking you 100 hours+ easily to get all of them) but it's not like you feel any need to. There's no other proper rewards for doing so other than achievements I guess. Everything you really need is unlocked in the first fifth of the game. Same with hunting and gathering. There's no need to do either of them outside of the early game. There's no challenge with that either. End-game recipes that could act as a motivator to actually bother gathering are just game breaking. It's not like you need them either since the game is rather easy even on the hardest difficulty. Writing was solid with some very interesting characters. Too bad you are forced to kill all of the interesting characters because you have to defend the boring. Funny playing a game like that. I think the variety of approaches to combat the game allowed worked really well. I found stealth very satisfying. It's not hard but you feel like a ninja when you manage to nail an approach. Uplay deserves an extra mention because it's not good at all but everybody knows about that. The game is graphically nothing special.

Game 27: Valiant Hearts: The Great War - 11 hours according to Steam but that includes some idling
# I wrote a small review on my experience with the game. TL;DR I really enjoyed my time with this title.

Game 28: Wolfenstein: The New Order - 11 hours according to Steam
# Story beaten on the second hardest difficulty. Here are my thoughts posted on the Steam thread.

Game 29: The Wolf Among Us - 10 hours according to Steam
# Story beaten. I enjoyed this game. I was a big fan of The Walking Dead by Telltale Games. In fact I think it was my game of the year back when it was released. I'm also a fan of what we have seen of Season 2 of The Walking Dead so far. That's why I was eager to see how this format fits other IP's. I'm glad to see it works very well. Games like these are all about the story. It keeps you interested as long as there's an interesting world and characters to interact with. Telltale Games really shines with that. Gameplay is passable. Nothing special. It's certainly something I would like them to give a little more attention in their future games. EDIT: Got all achievements too. Played it through the second time with different choices. Doesn't make as much difference as I would have wished.

Game 30: Detective Case and Clown Bot in: Murder in the Hotel Lisbon - 4.2 hours according to Steam which I think is pretty close to the truth
# My impressions are in the Steam thread.

StingX2

Game 51: Wario Ware: Smooth Moves - 2 Hours
(Started 7/25/14 / Finished 7/25/14)
I actually started this some amount of years ago but ragequitted. Today I sat down and played through this and it really isn't too terrible. It's not great since waggle is not precise at all, and The Waiter pose activates if it feels like it but some of the stuff is kinda fun or silly.

OP, one to go

donny2112

Game 31: Outlast - Whistleblower DLC (PC)
Original Post

header_292x136.jpg

Playthrough

Steam Review

Outlast Whistleblower is the prequel to Outlast, and pretty much continues the trend and atmosphere experienced in the base game. If you were a fan of the first game's intense a atmosphere, and scare teasing you will enjoy the DLC.

It tells the story of a Waylon Parks The Whistleblower who informs Miles of the atrocities happening in Asylum. There are more than a few nods and mentions to the base game, which will keep the fans happy and provide plenty of 'Aaaaaaah I remember...' moments.

There's just something about the Outlast series that I really like. I'm not sure if it's the presentation, or the sense of hopelessness mixed with the strong desire to survive the main characters have. Perhaps it's something to do with how I always come away feeling like the engine and experience would make the ideal 'Alien' survival game.
If Alien: Isolation is anywhere near Outlast in terms of presentation, story, style, sounding and lightning they'll be onto an instant hit with me.
That feeling of slowly pacing yourself through the corridors of Mount Massive, peeking your head around the corner to scout the junction. Your heartbeat rising as you see a suspected insane inmate ready to tell you a secret... the sound of chains... the musical ques all work together to create a really gripping experience.

I'm not one to scare easily, but this game (and the DLC) got me a fair few times. Not only with the well timed and scripted jump scares, but with the sense of panic that can (and will) takeover as you scramble away from foes determined to cook, fix or marry you. It's one of the few games were you CAN'T fight and flight is your only friend. Running and scramble over objects, squeezing through gaps and hiding in lockers or under beds has never felt so 'real'.
The realism is another aspect that works so well for the game. I felt like I HAD to go slowly, I didn't want to run and announce my arrival and position with the heavy stomps of footsteps.
It's not only the speed of the game, it's the First-Person sway and bobbing. I know some people aren't a fan of the simulated movement of the head however it works so well in Outlast and really helps you believe you're the protagonist.

Overall Outlast - Whistleblower DLC is well worth the time, especially if you played the base game. Sure it has similar elements to Outlast, but that's the beauty of it for me. Play this in the dark.

Just make sure your other half doesn't burst through the door 2am in the morning, turns the lights on and scares the crap out of you...

Hubb

OP

35) Atelier Ayesha 30H
Good game, great art/music. It was even an easy enough Atelier game to play in one playthrough. The time limit felt like it wasn't even there.

Yasawas

Two more down today.

Game 45: Kirby's Epic Yarn (Wii) 26/7/14

It's hard to know how to rate a game where you can't die. I gold-starred the vast majority of the levels but interest was waning a little toward the end so I stopped forcing myself to do it and plodded along. It's sickening adorable and that charm is what pulled me through, the fabric effects are absolutely tremendous. There are a lot of great ideas in here and the bosses especially are nicely done but without that risk/reward it all feels a bit hollow.

Game 46: Rockman X/Mega Man X (SFC/WiiU) 26/7/14

I bought this for the Super Famicom two years ago, got as far as Sigma's Dog and reluctantly gave in. Since then I bought it on the Wii U intending to go back to it someday but it was only while looking through my game stuff on Google Drive earlier I realised I still had my password for the final stages and this challenge would be a good reason to see this ou so I fired it up at that point and carried on. This game is hard in a way I cannot deal with and there's no way I'd have beaten that final boss without using a save state at the start of each new phase although I could've made it a lot easier for myself if I'd known what energy tanks were I guess. Overall not my thing and likely my first and last Mega Man game.

Original posts.

KillerBEA

Update of:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=119614004&postcount=1320

Xbox 360:

A Kingdom for Keflings (9 Hours)
-Alright game just a touch boring.

Updated 360 total: 11

Xbox One:
Sixty Second Shooter Prime (8 hours)
-Horribly frustrating. Forced myself to get all the achievements, level 20 and 1 million (or whatever the score achievement was) were just lain luck based.;

Nutjitsu (6 hours)
- Pacman meets Ninja and Squirrels. Fun or a bit, but grinding out level 23 was a bit mind numbing as that takes 3 times as long as the entertainment value holds.

Updated Xbox One total: 3

Updated total: 14

Wazzy

Banned
Game #6: Persona 3 - 42 hours 8 minutes
A big twist happened. It was pretty sad and the boss fight before it was awful. Stupid roulette fortune.

I'm at the boss floor of Tartarus which is floor 160. I think I'm more than halfway done this game.

Game # 7: Final Fantasy XIV - ???
I'm a level 49 Dragoon and close to hitting 50 and finishing the main story which is my "beating" point since it's an MMO. Still loving this game and had a blast joining a fate group a couple days ago.

Game #8 Double Dragon Neon- 1 hour

So I just started this with a friend and it's so good. The bro fives, cheesy dialogue and lovable 80's style music and setting is just so fun to play. We reached mission 4. Game doesn't seem like it will be too long but it's still very fun.

Proper Original post

Game 32: Trine - Enchanted Edition (PC)
Original Post

header_292x136.jpg

Playthrough Part 1 & Part 2

Steam Review

By this point you're perhaps already aware that Trine is a very visually stunning game, with some great artwork & lighting yet behind all of that lies a really challenging and fun platform puzzle game.

The level designs are fairly basic to begin with an help introduce you to the 3 characters and their abilities without over complicating things. You have a Wizard (who can build blocks and platforms), a Thief who can swing and climb and a Warrior who can fight.
You can only use one character at a time, but the game lets you switch between them easily enough so it's not hard to link abilities together. So, for example you could build a platform with the Wizard to setup an easy jump and climb with The Thief. It's that level of combination and thinking that makes Trine a fun game to play. It also helps that the designers have done a good job of scaling the difficulty at just about the right pace to keep the game challenging, but never boring or frustrating.
The native 360 Controller support is a welcome feature too, and makes gameplay slightly more friendly.

Further more the developers have kindly updated Trine with the engine from Trine 2, which is why it's now referred to as the 'Enchanted Edition'. The real bonus here is if you already owned Trine, it was updated free of charge.

The only real negative could be the slightly wonky fighting mechanics, but that's none issue as the game isn't about the fighting or enemies.

In short, Trine is a fun, well presented Platform Puzzle game that offers a good combination of problem solving, exploring and physic manipulation. Well worth a play.

Took long enough! No additions just yet.

Game #29: Super Stardust HD - 10 hours, 6 mins, 35 secs (Finished)
Fun fun fun! Just fun times. So much polish. It took me 20 tries at Arcade mode to beat it on Hard. It's a shame you can't just start on Hard after you beat it. I doubt I'll make it past Elite because of it. Also, this game is too pretty sometimes, to the point where I get nicked by a tiny piece of rock that looks like a particle.

Ha, saw the people who have yet to PM, looks like my chances of being one of the first ten to finish the challenge are slipping away quickly...

42: Tales of Xillia. I've had a bit of time to reflect on the game, and I think I still like it--it's the best first impression I've gotten from a Tales game since the first one I played, Vesperia. Funny, then, that it should have the same story problems as Vesperia: the game devolves into characters making monologues about how they want to do the right thing because it's right, or how it's awesome that we're all friends and isn't that awesome. Especially bad is how before every boss fight, each character in your party has to have some laughable explanation of why they're ready to fight. I could really use an Indiana Jones gun-vs-sword moment or two.

But hey, it's a Tales game, and I've come to realize that they're the video-game equivalent of a summer blockbuster for me--I turn my brain off for the most part and soak in the pleasant vibes from the character skits and the arte combos and whatnot. I don't think I'm going to jump straight into Xillia 2 when it releases next month, but I haven't ruled it out either.

43: Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light. An older game I never bothered to play until Playfire Rewards (something I imagine will happen less now that Playfire's made their system less attractive to people with huge backlogs like mine). Tomb Raider is surprisingly workable as an isometric puzzle platformer; though none of the level puzzles are particularly difficult, you do get that sense of having to stop and think about what the proper solution to an area is supposed to be. It's interspersed with enough combat sections to keep things spicy, too.

My only trouble with the game is when it stops being a puzzle platformer and turns into an action platformer; every so often the game will throw Lara into a gauntlet that requires relatively precise timing and positioning to get through in one piece. I can tell by how the sections are set up that they're designed to occasionally bait you into doing something you're not supposed to do, but are otherwise fair; I'm just really awful at those bits. But besides that, it's a fun game. Probably even more fun in co-op. Glad they're making a sequel!

44: Atelier Rorona Plus: The Alchemist of Arland. So I spent all of today playing the game's overtime mode, which is an extra year tacked onto the game's normal campaign. The idea, if you've never played an Atelier game: Rorona is an apprentice alchemist who, under orders from the local kingdom, must perform various assignments or lose the workshop she's just inherited from her master. You do this by creating items the kingdom is looking for within a three-month time period; one assignment could be basic items like healing salves and paper, another assignment could be making the mysterious items in a recipe book from the kingdom archives that no one can make heads or tails of.

As the first Atelier game in PS3, the original looked pretty rough--the 3D character models were practically chibi models, the battle system was overly simple, and the time limits for each assignment enforced a fairly rigid regimen for newcomers. Rorona Plus fixes a few of these things--the graphics are much improved, the battle system is a little different, the way alchemy works is more predictable--but it manages to keep the fundamental character of the original intact. This is great for anyone who wanted to play Rorona but was put off by the game's retrograde state compared to its sequel, Atelier Totori, but if you've run through the game before you might feel like not enough has changed to bring you back if you weren't already looking forward to a second playthrough.

Overtime, then, is Gust's way of luring you into playing the game again to see the new content. Having just played through it, it's Atelier Rorona on hardcore mode. To make any headway in the new year's worth of content, you'll have to remake all your equipment, healing items and bombs in order to tackle a whole array of strong enemies. Even the normal enemy mobs in Machina Domain are no joke. I didn't make it through Overtime, so I still have unfinished business in the game. I may not start the second playthrough immediately, though; I did just pour nine hours straight into the game today.

Original second-half post.

Ceallach

Game 39, Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millenium Girl, 3DS
Very addictive, very cool. I loved pretty much everything about this. Making maps, the management, the battle system. I think I might go pick up a copy of EO4.

OP

StingX2

Game 52: Pokemon Black 2 - 31 Hours, 55 Minutes
(Started 4/5/14 / Finished 7/28/14)
So this game was not as good as the first Black/White game. The final battle of the first was epicness, this was not. Team Plasma's role was confusing and seemed pointless. The leader of Team Plasma was even more confusing. The Elite 4 and Champion? Barely put up a fight. Interested to try the World Gym Leader Tournament thing but that's it. Party was :Samurott, Ampharos, Lucario, Mandibuzz, Gothitelle, Magmortar.

ORIGINAL POST
GAME SET, CHALLENGE COMPLETE!

Stats for First 52 Beats
X360: 11
Vita: 8
PC: 7
GB: 5
WiiU: 4
NDS: 3
3DS: 3
PS3: 3
Wii: 2
Genesis: 2
PSP: 1
SNES: 1
NES: 1
PS1: 1

grimmiq

Haven't updated in a while..

Game 28: The Walking Dead Season 1/400 Days - 14 Hours. Finished 16/06/14
# Played this on 360 but since I've decided to play season 2 on PC, I replayed Season 1 for the save file.

Game 29: The Wolf Among Us - 8 Hours. Finished 09/07/14
# I liked this a lot at the beginning, but just found that some of the choices and the reactions of the other characters felt unnatural and forced, At about Episode 3 I would've said it was better than TWD Season 1, but the finale was lame by comparison.

Game 30: Dragon's Crown - 18 Hours. Finished 14/07/14
# Really enjoyed this for a while, but transitioning from normal to hard was a bit annoying, I know many would say I haven't finished this til I clear with all characters..but I think I'm done with it.

Game 31: Valkyria Chronicles 2 - 29 Hours. Finished 28/07/14
# Great game and loved the first, but I felt it dragged on a little too long, mostly needing to finish 4 missions just to get to the story ones at the end. Beasted everything with Avan as a Fencer...Didn't like the RNG for class changes..many of my units didn't break past the 2nd tier. It's been a long time, but I remember the original's story to be stronger and felt less episodic.

OP

Just 20 more games to go, with little more than 20 weeks left of the year, so I'm well on target at the moment. There's a going to be a little disruption in August as I'm moving house, but that should be fine.

Personally, I feel like I need to play some longer games as I've played a lot of 6-8 hour games over the last few months. I've enjoyed them, but feel 'cheap'. If I get a bit of time today I might do a little 'report' on the games I've finished.

K.N.W.

Diddn't know about this thread, but I will list what I played until now and try to catch up =)
I don't remember the exact order of my playthroughs, so i will list the games by console, but I will also say if it was my first playthrough or not. Let's begin:

1) Watch dogs PS4 (first time)
2) MGS 5 : Ground Zeroes PS4 (first time, main+ extra missions)
3) Knack PS4 (first time)
4) Infamous SS PS4 (first time)
5) Killzone: Shadow Fall PS4 (first time)
6) Lego City Undercover WiiU (first time)
7) Pikmin 3 WiiU (first time)
8) TLOZ : Wind Waker HD WiiU (first time)
9) Shenmue DC (second time)
10) Hotline Miami PS3 (first time)
11) God of War Ascension PS3 (first time)
12) Tales of XIllia PS3 (first time)
13) The last of us PS3 (third time)
14) God of War II PS2 (first time)
15) Crash Bandicoot : The Wrath of Cortex PS2 (??? time)
16) Jak II : Renegade PS2 (first time)
17) Jak III PS2 (first time)
18) Ghost Hunter PS2 (first time)
19) Zone of the Enders 2 PS2 (first time)
20) Crash Bandicoot 3 PS1 (??? time)
21) Oddworld : Abe's Oddysee PS1 (fifth time)
22) Spyro 2 PS1 (??? time)
23) Halo 2 XB (second time)
24) Halo 3 X360 (third time)
25) Halo 4 X360 (first time)
26) Ninja Gaiden II X360 (second time)
27) Catherine X360 (first time)
28) Super Mario Galaxy Wii (first time)

All played on the maximum difficulty available(at beginning if first time, or unlocked if I already played the game), except Halo 2 , whose legendary difficulty made replay for 3 evenings the first mission before giving up :(

Currently playing:

1) Final Fantasy 8 PS1( ??? time)
2) Patapon PSP (first time)
3) Oddworld : New 'n' Tasty PS4 (first time..... or not xD ????)

Failed attempts:
1) Ninja Gaiden 3: Horrible game
2) Metroid : Other M : Not my kind of Metroid
3) Alundra 2 : No need for explanations
4) Shadows of the Damned : Punched the 360 during the last boss because of the horrible dodging system, the disc got scratched and I had to watch the ending on youtube -.-
5) Binary Domain : Average shooter that punishes you if you shoot comrades. Comrades always walk into your fire.

Axass

How are you liking SMG? I loved the game; one level in particular though I remember being just brutally difficult....

Are you thinking about the purple coins on Luigi? I don't think it's that hard.

I'm moving at snail's pace, but I have started many indie games on Steam, so the tables will soon be turned!

- JUNE -

Game 14: Art Academy - 7/10 - more or less 15 hours
Done all the main lessons, almost all mini-lessons, and tried to paint by myself. Very nice tutorial game, it's a bit limited on the options, but what it does it does flawlessly; I was especially amazed by how well the actual action of painting and drawing is simulated. It does work too, I was able to create some little gems, even though I've almost never drawn or painted: I was actually astonished by what I managed to create, didn't think it was possible.

- JULY -

Game 15: Thomas Was Alone - 7,5/10 - around 5 hours
Completed all levels and got all Steam achievements. Nice minimalist platformer with some weird but good choices: those polygons are some very funny and interesting characters. I can't believe I just said this, though I guess it's part of the charm of the game, the fact the story is so out there. The controls and platforming are spot on, but the levels themselves are a bit lacking on complexity, I never got stuck once in the entire game; the early stuff is very good because you learn the basics and are amazed by what you can do with a bunch of squares and rectangles, but later on everything reeks of deja-vu level-wise, even though the game keeps throwing new "characters" with different physics at you. The jetpack controls horribly, they could have done without that gimmick out of nowhere, it kinda ruins the flow of the game.

maxcriden

It's greaaaaat!!! Except the manta and ball minigames, but I like the bubble one!!

Haha, glad you're digging it. I was terrible at the Manta one, I think my wife had to beat it. The Galaxy's Greatest Wave, I want to say?

Are you thinking about the purple coins on Luigi? I don't think it's that hard.

Nope, although that was one of the trickiest ones for me. I'm specifically thinking of
Dreadnought's Purple Coins.

How are you liking SMG? I loved the game; one level in particular though I remember being just brutally difficult....

I don't know if this is the level you're thinking of, but Rocky Road ended my first SMG run years ago. A friend and I spent a solid hour trying to jump the stupid moving holes in that stupid level and by the time we eventually quit, we'd both lost any enthusiasm we might've had for the game. The only reason I decided to pick up SMG again after selling it was because I knew Rocky Road was optional and there was no sense killing myself over optional content.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom