• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

52 Games - 1 Year Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I've blown past the 500 hour mark! I'm the last person in the world I'd pick ta be a "copy editor" or w/e but here I am doing it! The .hack//Link fanslation team wants feedback from players so I an others have been delivering! Course this means playing through a pretty long an only, as of now, partially translated game but I'm down with that!

An it seems I'm outta space in my original post so like many have done before me, let's get this next one goin'!

In A.D. 2014
"52 Games - 1 Year Challenge"
Chapter 02

Game 34 | .hack//Link
• 06/12/14 to 08/06/14
• 48 hours, 47 minutes
The v0.2 fanslation patch introduced some more system freezing bugs but they're all perfectly avoidable, if not alil obnoxious ta do so. Its still fairly incomplete translation wise but there's been a ton more text translated compared to the previous patch! Got a much better grasp of the story and item/upgrades/battle system! This was my 3rd time through the game an its still super fun in my book, plus that ending... way more powerful than that of the previous series! This time around I went lite on the grinding and mashed through japanese text both of which served ta greatly decrease playtime over my previous runs. Luckily my knowledge of the game made it so I wasn't greatly underpowered or anything. There's a ton of post-game stuff ta do an since I'm reporting bugs, typos, questionable grammar/translated dialogue to the team I'm gonna see it through to the end!

Game 35 | .hack//Versus
• 08/07/14 to 08/07/14
• 2 hours, 42 minutes
That's a far cry from the 20 hours it took me the first time! Of course the first time I was inexperienced an did every characters path an made sure ta try an unlock everything. Wasn't expecting ta be able to cheese this game but apparently starting a new game only resets your story progress, but you get to keep all the unlockables! Having 50% attack power bonus an other such things right from the start really made things alot easier! Totally cool fighting game btw. Sakuya's great!

Game 36 | Mega Man Legends
• 08/08/14 to 08/17/14
• 11 hours, 41 minutes
Haven't played this for at least a decade an as such had forgotten pretty much everything about it! Except how clunky the controls are, thats burned into my memory! For a game with such basic dungeons an few enemy types this ones still fresh & fun ta play if ya ask me. The buster equipment stuffs great since ya can change up your shot powers as needed or just to suit your style of being a coward and staying as far from baddies as possible! Wish they'd done alil more endgame stuff with how the ruins all connect an especially the sub-cities cause those were cool!

Game 37 | Dead or Alive: Dimensions
• 08/30/14 to 09/02/14
• 2 hours, 38 minutes
That story mode sore was clunky! Lopsided cutscene to gameplay but when that reverses many of the battles feel outta place / tacked on for no reason! It was cool they had a pre-DOA chapter an since I never got ta play the fourth game now I kinda got to see its story. All of them tutorials on how to fight seemed outta place but were welcome. Rare ta see a fighting game try ta teach players about its mechanics!

Game 38 | Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
• 09/03/14 to 09/03/14
• 9 minutes
In the spirit of cheating I played through Arcade mode on Easy! Which means I only had to go through 3 battles lol. Whaaat? I've easy moded a ton of games in this challenge, and an ending is an ending! Still love how cute this game is and how fun! There's always something satisfying about building up lovely large gems and then shattering 'em!

Game 39 | Sonic R
• 09/03/14 to 09/03/14
• 12 minutes
Took 1st place in each race! I did this cheaply by loading a save file in which I unlocked Super Sonic but none of the mecha racers, who're tougher then the regular ones. Game still looks really rad in my books, is fun to play, and has those catchy tunes! Still the best use of Super Sonic in any 3D Sonic game that I know of anyway!

Game 40 | Sonic The Fighters
• 09/03/14 to 09/03/14
• 15 minutes
Cheesey moded this, duh! This game also holds up in the looks & music departments. The gameplay however is still as awkward as ever for me cause I just never quite get how to do many moves an stuff but thats more on me then the game itself, I think.

Game 41 | Columns
• 09/19/14 to 09/19/14
• 25 minutes
10,000 points is the default hi score an I passed it... after like 4 or 5 attempts! Entered my initials for first place score as YAY lol. Super terrible at this game but w/e I still like it for some odd reason. From what I could count my highest chain was 5 an purely by accidental on my part cause I got no mind for trying ta set 'em up. Nice music btw.

Game 42 | The Legendary Starfy
• 10/04/14 to 10/05/14
• 4 hours, 8 minutes
Think Kirby but somehow even less challenging! Its nice an relaxing to say the least! I blew through it in just two sittings an the only hard part was the final boss cause I suck at dodging lightning x.x; Plus I only the base amount of health cause this was a no treasure, no sidequests run which means only 5 health instead of the up to I think 9 or 10 ya can get. While most of the games some cute looking sprites I really like the polygon backgrounds in many stages. The swimming controls are great cause well ya spend most of the game in water! Land controls are good. The one thing that bugged me was how long it takes ta get your full moveset. I think it was all the way up to World 7 (of 8) where you get the last move which is pretty weird. Really liked many of the levels especially ones where ya swim up bubbles or across rainbows! There's lotsa secrets, extras, funny expressions/dialogue which makes it a very fun an complete game all around!

Game 43 | Deep Scan
• 10/08/14 to 10/08/14
• 10 minutes
"This is a retro game that brings back memories of video games of years part." So says an instruction book from '97. A measily 16 page one all in black & white... so many conflicting feels x.x! The game is as advertised basically an old arcadey high score chaser! Its pretty hard imo! Managed ta beat my previous score by about 400 pts which is always good. Course the real reason ta play this is to rack up credits for...

Game 44 | Die Hard Arcade
• 10/08/14 to 10/08/14
• 31 minutes
I tried playing this with the default 3 credits an game over'd before beating the first stage lol. After grinding for 30-some I came back an made it all the way through! I died like 18 times so I mighta overgrinded. Still less tries then it took me when last I played this so that's a improvement maybe? This darn quarter muncher isn't easy since your life drains real quickly and the last bosses are nuts. I like how McClane's clothing degrades throughout the game and the surprisingly the large amount of moves he has for a simple beat 'em up game. btw were there really robots in the movie(s)?? An what's up with fighting firemen?!

Game 45 | Strider 2
• 10/22/14 to 10/22/14
• 32 minutes
Been quite awhiles since I last played this an as expected I set all the options in my favor! Plus I only did 3 outta 5 stages cause hey if the game lets ya do only 2 before opening the final stage well why not take the invitation?! I'm super clunky at this game an of course don't even try to play it "right" but that's just how it goes! And for my recklessness & cheating I got all E ranks lol. Fun stuffs aside from messed up gravity sections I couldn't get used to 'em!

Game 46 | Mario Kart: Super Circuit
• 11/06/14 to 11/06/14
• 55 minutes
Just a fun casual 50cc run of the 5 normal cups! Even with the super easy difficulty selection I still missed coming in 1st place twice over the whole 20 races -.-; Used Peach all the way cause full speed an least weight feels real nice. Still like this games looks and feel even if drifting isn't exactly a thing (or I'm just to bad to know/do it right). Real basic but real fun! An the music is super catchy, like way better then most Mario games so they really got that right! Oh and it was made by Intelligent Systems?! Is there anything they can't do?

Game 47 | Double Dragon Advance
• 11/12/14 to 11/12/14
• 47 minutes
As usual I deployed the powers of cheating by using a code ta give me 10 continues though I didn't even need 'em, plus picked the easy difficulty! Abusing the jump kick to say keep smashing the Stage 6 boss into the wall over and over. This games got way more instant death pits then your average beat 'em up an I used quite a few to take numerous baddies out along with myself! 2 things I don't like about the game is that accidentally dashing is kinda alil to easy to do. Had quite a few deaths because of it. The other things the camera. Its kinda bad in places and of course that leads to pit deaths!

Game 48 | Ice Climber
• 11/26/14 to 11/26/14
• 37 minutes
It took alil while but I beat my high score in the game by like 120 points lol. Still constitutes a win to me! My scores pretty bad since it could be trumped by the third mountain but w/e! The way this games jumping works eludes me to this day. Not super in love with this game but its fun enough ta give a try every now an then.

Game 49 | The Legend of Spyro: The Eternal Night
• 12/03/14 to 12/03/14
• 1 hour, 45 minutes
This is the only Spyro game I've played so as far as I know the whole series is pretty cool beat 'em ups! Cool but could be alil better. Regular baddies take way to many hits to go down no matter how many alleged "strength" upgrades you've gotten... an I say that having played on easy mode! Still the lil guy got some nice moves and tossing magic attacks into the mix is rad. Its story is awfully weird though! A good chunk of the game takes place in Spyro's dreams an he even gets powerups from it. Weird! And then there's an ultra cliffhanger ending because?? Also Sparx still sucks.

Game 50 | Daytona USA (saturn)
• 12/11/14 to 12/11/14
• 39 minutes
Now these are the type of graphics I'm nostalgic for! It took alot longer then expected but I snagged 1st place on each course! Advanced kicked my butt so badly I went from "easy" to "very easy" lol. Beginner was a joke as always and Expert only took me 2 tries! Still one of the greatest racers ever! Oh ya my "car" of choice was the Horse! No penalty for going into grass is a super nice benefit plus it just plain looks silly!

Game 51 | Daytona USA (dreamcast)
• 12/11/14 to 12/11/14
• 1 hour, 2 minutes
Ooohh man this is so much harder then the Saturn one. No very easy difficulty is one reason why but I found ways around that! 2 laps, 10 cars = chance of victory up+++ ! Once again the Advanced course kicked my butt until I a.) learned to slow down and b.) learned to ram the lead car to make it super crash. Since the cpu cars'll always finish in the same positions ya just gotta take out the one that always finishes in first place cause its the fastest which will prevent it from making a comeback unless ya serious screw up! See? I can learn! My car of choice was initially the Pywackett Barchetta but its soooo slow I just never stood a chance. While this version features analog controls I just can't handle it as well as the Saturn one. I miss the online mode it was pretty much the only reason I played the game since offline was so difficult!

Game 52 | Akiba's Trip: Undead & Undressed
• 08/25/14 to 12/16/14
• 14 hours, 18 minutes
This was alil hard ta get into at first but that's pretty much normal for first playthroughs in games right? I got used to things and kicked much butt in the end! My main gripe'd be that the city is segmented into parts instead of one big open thing and that alot of the map wasn't used. Controls could've been abit better to cause like L1 to put your weapon away and heal? Accidentally putting your weapon away in the middle of a fights mostly not good! Story an characters weren't super original but playing around with tropes is part of this games gag. The equipment and its growth systems are pretty neat since your stuff is visible and you can make your fave getup as powerful as ya can afford to! Since there's lots of unlockables and everything carries over to NG+ and its as a beat 'em up its fun more playthroughs are inevitable!

Game ?? | Space Channel 5
• 12/31/14 to 12/31/14
• 1 hour, 2 minutes
I'm to bad at memory & timing to beat this game on my own so I used a cheat code to have the game beat itself for me! Ulala is great, Jaguar is awesome, Morolians & Robots are funny, an the musics fresh! Great game even if I can't play it myself!

Total Playtime: 569 hours, 00 minutes

Hubb

OP

36) Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge 10H
Never played the original NG3 so I've got nothing to compare this game to. All in all I'd give it a 6.5/10 (extra .5 because of the characters). My major gripes with the game were the freezes/load times. Not a fan of hard resetting my PS3 because the game locked up. If it wasn't for those technical issues I'd probably bump it up a point.

StingX2

Game 54: Doki Doki Universe - 10 Hours?
(Started 7/17/14 / Finished 8/7/14)
The Personality Test aspect of this game is brilliant. The Toe Jam & Earl esque vibe the game tries to grab on to? Completely down with. The actual quests on each boring planet and present earning by making characters happy or sad? Completely exhaustively boring. Oh and the game crashes, the GAME CRASHES!

StingX2

Game 55: Proteus - 1 Hour
(Started 8/8/14 / Finished 8/8/14)
I don't know what to really say about this one. You go to an island, walk around, sleep inside of creepy light a few times and it's over. Not really for me.

Game 56: Felix the Cat GB - 40 Mins
(Started 8/8/14 / Finished 8/8/14)
I really dug this old school platformer. Not terribly difficult and filled with lots of transformations for Felix the Cat. The game kept it interesting constantly on each level and that is the great mark of a great platformer.

Well, a few people on SteamGAF suggested I played Dragon's Dogma, so that's what I'm doing. I feel better for it, as I've completed a lot 2-5 hour games and How Long to Beat says my average game length is ~6 hours. So it's time to step that up and make this list... LEGIT!

Game 15: MLB: The Show 14
IefgHX7.jpg

Like in my last post with Tomodachi, I'm still playing MLB. I don't foresee putting it down anytime soon either. It's a great port of the title. It is far from perfect, unsurprisingly. But still, a very solid port. I've really enjoyed my time messing around with RTTS. I will say some of the flaws of the port really just seem to be a function of fitting a full sports sim onto a Vita's screen. For example, when pitching in RTTS, moving the cursor to aim your pitch can be very, very difficult due to the precision required. Another complaint is the crowds. The crowds behind home-plate are an absolute joke. They look atrocious. Sometimes they'll even clip through the stadium. That is the single-most immersion breaking problem with the game for me. Still, it retains most of the features from the console, so having a true "pocket sports sim" is fantastic. It absolutely lends itself to "play on the go."

Game 16: Dragon's Crown - August 8th, 2014
0KnLlne.jpg

I had bought this from Gamestop last month, but kind of forgot to play it. Well, really what happened was I went through the first dungeon and stunk it up (playing as an elf). With its release on PS+, I was motivated to get back into it to play with a friend. I actually enjoyed myself so much, I finished it in four days. It's a fantastic beat-em-up. Once I got a true handle on the game though, it was way, way, way too easy for me. Because I was doing all the sidequests (love dat art), I was almost always overleveled for each dungeon's boss. Only a few bosses were actually a challenge. The combat did require some skill though, and it certainly wasn't just a button-masher (at least for the ranged classes). Another small complaint is that when a lot of enemies were on the screen, fighting a fully party, the frame-rate could drop hard. I'm not frame-rate aficionado, but even I noticed.

Anyways, although I've finished the elf character, I can see myself going back to play the post-game stuff. I can even see myself going back and trying some of the other characters. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Game 17: LEGO Lord of the Rings - August 9th, 2014
ue1jQIc.jpg

Probably the best LEGO game I've played so far (although I haven't played Marvel yet). One of the best things about the game, shallow as it may be, is that it's voice acted. I have the first of the Lego Harry Potter games, and it's really kinda annoying to listen to/watch these LEGO grunts and mime gestures. LOTR was kind of like playing the movie. Looks excellent on the PS3 as well. The game isn't too hard, although some puzzles are just kind of stupidly ambiguous. I will say though, it took me forever to complete this game (like over a year and a half). Playing a LEGO game by yourself is really...dull. The AI can be idiotic, and doing puzzles while trying to fight off enemies that your AI partners aren't fighting can be aggravating. If I ever get around to playing the Marvel game, I'll probably recruit a friend or family member. I can't imagine slogging through another one of these alone. Overall though, very enjoyable, especially once I just sat down and finished it.

Original Post

Aru

- Game 32: Lone Survivor: The Director's Cut (Vita) - ~4 hours - Beaten on Aug 9 - Appreciation: Good
Finally a survival horror game with a great atmosphere, that most AAA don't have. It's basically what a 2D version of Silent Hill would look like, and feel. Nice game. I don't want to play it again to get the good ending, though.

Coppanuva

Game 33 Cave Story.
First time playing through this, fantastic game. I am sad I didn't play this sooner.

Game 34- Proteus
So much hate for this game from other people. I found it calming and quite enjoyed it myself.

Game 35- Dragon's Crown
Scratched my brawler itch for a while, was a good fun game.

Game 36- Super Mario Bros.
So while deciding what next game to tackle I was looking at my library and realized I'd never actually beat SMB. I owned the GBA NES classic, the Wii VC copy, and the 3DS one. So I played the 3DS one and finally beat it. Holds up surprisingly well but those jump physics are hard to get used to again...

Game 37- Game and Wario
Unlocked all the games. Got this free from club nintendo and it's pretty enjoyable. I liked it for what it is.

Game 38- Metrico
Man this game was cool! So many creative uses of the vita to make puzzles that always changed. It was awesome fun.

Game 39- Tappingo
Not a bad buy for the $2 I paid. It's a fun little puzzle game, will probably buy the second (but please add a zoom feature, hitting the boxes on the smaller puzzles was frustrating).

Game 40- Mighty Gunvolt
Probably took me an hour to beat. Was fun but too easy and not that satisfying to finish. Glad I nabbed a free code for this one.

Game 41- Playstation All Stars Battle
I played 1 story mode. This game is so clunky. SO SO SO CLUNKY. God I need the new smash, glad I played this for free, not one I'm looking forward to touching again ever.

Game 42- Broforce
Only an alpha but damn this game is awesome. I am sad I finished it actually, wish it were longer.

Game 43- Smash Bros 3DS
So worth the wait. Still buying the WiiU version, I unlocked everyone and am playing online fairly regularly so I'm marking this complete.

Game 44- Wind Waker HD
Got this free with MK8 promo and finally beat it after stopping the GCN version at the triforce shard quest. I... really am not a big fan of this zelda game honestly. Even today, it feels extremely tedious (fast sail doesn't help much). I like Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess and OoT much more as 3D Zeldas than this one honestly.

Game 45- X-Type Plus
A score attack game I got a high enough score to decide I beat it. This was pretty fun and for $3 on the Wii U worth a shot, I enjoyed it.

Game 46- Pix the Cat
Another score attack type game, but for the Vita this time. It's good fun ad worth the download easy, I've really enjoyed this one. Managed to get 750,000 on arcade board as my "beating" it goal

Game 47- Towerfall
Not so much a compelteable game, but I did win quite a few matches in multiplayer and have enjoyed it so far.

Game 48- Typing of the Dead Overkill
Oh god this game... fun, not too hard, but the story and acting in it were terrible. Jesus, I think they hired actual strippers to play Candi Stryper and Val.

Game 49- Bayonetta Wii U port
This was fun but I found the last few levels way hard (maybe I needed more collectables?). I enjoyed it but not as much as W101 or DMC3 I think. So far I'm enjoying Bayo2 a lot more though.

Game 50- Castlevania Symphony of the Night
Fun game, definitely enjoyed this one (as I enjoy all the metroidvanias). Definitely worth a playthrough for anyone wanting to who never played it.

Game 51- Steamworld Dig: Vita edition, probably 4 hours
I played this cause PS+, glad I got it from that. It was good for what it is, but I'm not a huge fan of the mining digger genre and never have been. I did beat story though.

Game 52- Bayonetta 2
So much better than the first one IMO. I liked the bosses more here, they were as a whole a lot more fun and the battle system felt so much more fluid.

Game 53- Project Nimbus
So I counted BD demo earlier, I finished up Nimbus to make up for it. I guess it's just the first act since the rest aren't out yet, but it's damn fun. Looking forward to the rest next year.

Thanks to everyone for your congratulations. I look forward to continuing to read everyone's updates along with updating my own list.

OP.

Game 54: Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc (Vita) - 20 hrs~
Was really excited to play this one since decent VNs with darker stories seem to be hard to come by, especially in the US. Characters, plot, and setting were all enjoyable. Played through the story in full and plan to sweep through school mode for the remaining trophies, then will be picking up the sequel sometime around/after release.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Game 42. Gundam Breaker, PS3
Completed all the missions. Love the game, I really hope Bandai revisit the format in the future. I do believe I spent more time in the hangar picking parts and painting my MS than I did fighting though, lol.

Weiss

Banned
Game 41: Thomas was Alone - 3 hours

A shining benchmark of how deliberately limited design can make something beautiful. I felt more for a pack of rectangles than I did basically any of AAA gaming's laughable attempts at drama.

Axass

Game 41: Thomas was Alone - 3 hours

A shining benchmark of how deliberately limited design can make something beautiful. I felt more for a pack of rectangles than I did basically any of AAA gaming's laughable attempts at drama.

Recently completed it: I agree wholeheartedly.

Game 54: Doki Doki Universe - 10 Hours?
(Started 7/17/14 / Finished 8/7/14)
The Personality Test aspect of this game is brilliant. The Toe Jam & Earl esque vibe the game tries to grab on to? Completely down with. The actual quests on each boring planet and present earning by making characters happy or sad? Completely exhaustively boring. Oh and the game crashes, the GAME CRASHES!

The DEMO crashes and it takes a shitload of time to load a bunch of hand-drawn assets.

Krafter

(kicks open club door) Why, Hello!

Finished my 52nd game today, during my lunchbreak with my office door closed. Life is good. My annual output is generally in the 60-70 range, my mission now is to get my personal best of 88. That may or may not happen, will be close.

Game 51: Trine (PS3) - August 7 - 11 hours
Beautiful and Magical platformer, starring three classic archetypes in the Warrior, Thief and Wizard. I loved this game; music, artwork, gameplay and voice acting were all top-notch, particularly the narrator. The Wizard, and his magic of object creation/manipulation was ingenious, far superior to yet another fireball/magic missle affair.

Game 52: Pokemon Black (DS) - August 11 - 60 hours
Only my third Pokemon game, with the same classic, simple gameplay. I like this series more as I get older, very easy to pick up and play and I always prefer turn-based games. Black is probably my new series favourite, save for the weak ending and the feeling that I couldn't seem to get my team just right like I could in HeartGold. Played with my oldest daughter, which caused problems as she sold all our pokemon (save for her favourite) half-way through the game "for more dollars, Dada!"

Original Post updated

52 games by system:
PS3 22 titles
PC 7 titles
PSP 6 titles
DS 4 titles
PS2 4 titles
3DS 2 titles
Wii 2 titles
Vita 1 title
Arcade 1 title
Android 1 title
NES 1 title
GBA 1 title

donny2112

Finished my 52nd game today, during my lunchbreak with my office door closed. Life is good. My annual output is generally in the 60-70 range, my mission now is to get my personal best of 88. That may or may not happen, will be close.

Congratulations and welcome to the club! (We need a handshake or something.)

it.gif

StingX2

Welcome to the club!

Aru

- Game 33: Thomas Was Alone (Vita) - ~3 hours - Beaten on Aug 12 - Appreciation: Average
Relaxing game with nice music. Wouldn't have bought/bothered with it if it wasn't a PS+ freebie. Some puzzles are interesting but the game isn't challenging at all.

Game 18: Final Fantasy X HD - August 11th, 2014 - 43 hours.
Bg38DzE.jpg

Good God. What. A. Game. Just so absolutely phenomenal. It's amazing how well this game holds up in terms of gameplay. Many JRPGs just feel so dated when you return to them. FF X does not, but perhaps that's due to it really being one of the first modern JRPGs. The battle system is phenomenal, the sphere grid is very intriguing and the cutscenes still wow me as much in 2014 as did back when I first played the game almost a decade ago. I wouldn't call the definitive GOAT, but it's certainly in the running for me. I plan on play X-2 now, but I will absolutely be returning to play FF X again to experience some of the things I missed, notably some of the "optional" summons and the celestial weapons which I missed for the most part. It's a deep game, with lots of content, and I'm so, so, so glad it made it to the PSV.

Original Post

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Game 43. Battlefield 4 PC, Origin
Finished the SP campaign. Played it in small chunks. It infuriated me. As a member of the naval special warfare community(An SB1) there was so much that looked right(the ships), but so much that was so dumb and wrong(equipment, PPRs, uniforms, mixing up mission roles that marines and navy would be doing as a joint tf, having no clue the type of damage a ship can take or the capabilities of a strike group, etc) it just made me so fucking mad it took months to fucking meander through. Shit on a shingle.

StingX2

Game 57: Trials Fusion - 10 Hours
(Started 8/10/14 / Finished 8/11/14)
This was a lot of fun but I liked the random locations of Evolution. This fell too close to HD in the near static environment look.

Game 58: Double Dragon (Genesis) - 1 Hour
(Started 8/13/14 / Finished 8/13/14)
This is easily my favorite version I've played of DD1.

As expected, things have slowed down since getting over the line. Hoping to get back into things though and try hit the 100 for the year.

Game 53: Bulletstorm - 7.5 Hours
So much fun, had it on the 360 but never got round to finishing to was good to finally get it done. If you get the chance to play this, go for it.

Game 54: Shovel Knight - 5.7 Hours
Fantastic game. Super well put to get from the design, controls, music. Great package. Really happy with how it turned out after backing on Kickstarter.

Game 55: The Wolf Among Us - Episode 5 - 1.4 Hours
One of those I don't want to say much about with spoilers but it's been great. Really loved the universe, maybe one day I'll check out the comics.

Game 56: The Walking Dead: Season 2 - Episode 4
As above, going good but don't want to say much about for obvious reasons. Can't wait to see how it wraps up though.

Game 57: The Expendabros - 1 Hour
I just needed something to complete, had fell off the wagon and it was free and short. Great fun and will hopefully help kickstart me to continue.

Game 58: Battlefield 4 - 6.5 Hours
It was free, free was a good price. It looks lovely but the campaign is great at all really, also the checkpoints can do one.

Original Post

eot

Banned
Game 19: The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena - 4½! hours, Aug 13th
Starts off as another Riddick game but without that magic touch. Then later on it devolves into a substandard shooter. Skip it.

This one didn't eat up too much time!

Game #33: Pac-Man Championship Edition DX+ (PC) - 8 hours (Finished)
Got at least a B on every stage in every mode, as well as all the really easy achievements, but not all the medals. Damn man, this game got everything right: visuals, music, menus, controls, gameplay...wouldn't change a thing. The leaderboards are screwed though.

Wensih

Original Post

Game 48: Bravely Default: Flying Fairy - 59 hours 33 minutes (Time taken from 3DS activity log)
#I picked this game up at the beginning of the year and played 40 hours of it. I got to the end of chapter 4 and put it down because the semester and work were becoming very busy. I was also not looking forward to the game becoming groundhog day in the second half. I went on vacation for a week to visit some friends and family at home, and I brought my 3DS with me for the trip. I decided to plow through it now while I have the free time. The last 4 chapters were annoying, but they were rather brief as I basically let the game auto-play through boss battles. The final bosses were pretty cool, and it ended on an interesting premise. After the first 40 hours, RPG fatigue was setting in, so it's always nice to pick up a game that you initially enjoyed again after the fatigue wears off.

Marceles

I'll get in on this, it'll force me to play more games this year.

Game #1: Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition

I never played the first version, but I enjoyed it. I'll be playing the sequel when it comes out.

Game #2: Time and Eternity:

It was ok, can't ask that much for an NIS game. Started getting repetitive but I found ways to make it more fun, like comboing different moves using specific timings.

Game #3: Strider

Extremely fun besides the collectibles. One of the most fun games I've played this year actually. I don't know if that's a good thing or not.

Game #4: inFamous Second Son

Very fun, very short, very easy. I think the other inFamous games would've been just as short as easy if you were given all of the powers Delsin has.

Game #5: FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn

I'm not sure if this counts since it's an MMO, but I beat the main story. Best looking FF game I've seen, great world. Hopefully I'll get further into the end game soon, I'm a bit behind.

Game #6: Resogun

Just as fun as Super Stardust HD. I was able to get the "beat game without continue" trophy on my last life, which was stressful lol.

Game #7: Super Mario 3D World

Amazing game to play with friends. I thought it was a bit overhyped since I didn't like it as much as the Galaxy games but an overall solid game

Currently playing Remember Me, only on the second episode at the moment

Now I can push this one aside!

Game #34: Pushmo World - 16 hours, 47 mins (Finished)
Beat all the main and Mysterious puzzles. Well, I wanted more and I got it. I was expecting more challenging Mysterious puzzles near the end because they introduce all these different blocks, but then they ignore them. They should've mixed it up. There could easily have been 80 Mysterious puzzles. That's my only real complaint. I didn't mind the samey-ness as much as I thought I would, but that's probably because it's so cheap.

Aru

- Game 34: New Super Mario Bros U (Wii U) - ?? hours - Beaten on Aug 14 - Appreciation: Excellent
First game I experience in the New SMB series. It was great. I beat it with a friend and coop was fun. Everything is pretty much top notch, outside of the relative easiness of many bosses. Recommended for every Wii U owner.

18 games remaining... Unless I get to play a lot of short games, I guess I won't make it to the 52 games.

maxcriden

- Game 34: New Super Mario Bros U (Wii U) - ?? hours - Beaten on Aug 14 - Appreciation: Excellent
First game I experience in the New SMB series. It was great. I beat it with a friend and coop was fun. Everything is pretty much top notch, outside of the relative easiness of many bosses. Recommended for every Wii U owner.

18 games remaining... Unless I get to play a lot of short games, I guess I won't make it to the 52 games.

In addition to NSLU, did you get a chance to check out the Challenge mode? It's awesome and obscenely hard in places.

Wazzy

Banned
Game #6: Persona 3 - 66 hours 24 minutes(Finished)
I really enjoyed this game. The final boss was interesting but quite long. The whole ending was really sweet though I'm a little confused by the last scene. Overall, I loved the music, characters and story. I'd recommend this game to any JRPG fan.

Game # 7: Final Fantasy XIV - ???
Haven't played recently.

Game #8 Double Dragon Neon - 1 hour
Still at Mission 4.

Game #9 Hard Corps: Uprising - 11 hours 12 minutes

I'm on the final mission but died at the last part so I took a break. I'm still loving this game and getting used to how each fight works is fun but damn some of these fights are ridiculous. I'll probably focus on upgrading to make the fight easier.

Original post:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=121792243&postcount=1390

TP17

The release of 80 days saw me go on an inkle games binge on my iPad.

3. 80 Days - iOS
Completed 02/08/2014
Went around the world in 66 days on my first attempt. Fun adventure and I'll probably replay it at some points trying out alternative routes.

4. Sorcery! - iOS
Completed 09/08/2014
Brilliant game. The classic gamebook reinvented beautifully for tablet devices and it works really well. Would definitely recommend it.

5. Sorcery! 2 - iOS
Completed 16/08/2014
Much longer than the first game and just more of the same great style and polished presentation. Looking forward to the third part.

Original

Yasawas

Ding ding ding! Did not expect to get this finished this month but I dug out the retro stuff for a bit of a change this afternoon and rattled off the last three. This was fun :)

Game 48: Professor Layton and the Curious Village (DS) 6/814

I started with the second trilogy and enjoyed those so I thought I'd go back to these as they're good for the commute. This is actually my favourite of the four I've played so far as the ratio of puzzles to walking about and chatting is much higher than in the later games. Also Luke does an odd hilarious face from time to time which gifted me a new avatar I never get sick of looking at.

Game 49: The Swapper (PS4) 10/814

Having spent all that money on a PS4 means I now get to play all the games most of you guys finished with a year or more ago, it's really cool. I'm still working on Rogue Legacy but I have finished The Swapper.

I thought it was downright excellent to be honest. Really atmospheric (the music! :swoon:) and a great, unique look achieved by making all the things out of plasticine apparently. The progression is handled well as you have a fair bit of leeway to explore the main ship if you get hopelessly stuck in one of the puzzle rooms, and I did on a couple, and the abundance of teleporters makes whizzing around the map effortless. The mechanics are very pared back - you can make up to four clones of yourself and choose to take control of any you have line of sight with, with some restrictions later - and they never really add to this beyond what you see in the opening hour which sounds like a negative but they get a lot of mileage out of them and I never felt I was doing the same thing over and over.

I often get "puzzle fatigue" in games like this (I finished Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty the other week which I enjoyed overall but gave me this affliction) whereby the act of moving forward into yet another room which I need to scope out and explore and experiment with becomes tiresome in and of itself regardless of how satisfying the puzzles are to solve but that was never an issue here. Partly I think because the rooms are so small and self-contained they're never intimidating scale-wise, and also because there are no enemies or environmental hazards of any kind so I felt encouraged to just sit back a bit and idly peruse my surroundings whilst enjoying some lovely tea and occasionally a tangerine. It was all very relaxing. There's a story but it was too clever for me until a bit right near the end which I got and then ruined the mood of by making my dude dance in an awkward marionette style while some very serious business played out. This game was excellent.

Game 50: Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius (SFC) 16/814

This is fantastic. I never played any of these at the time and I doubt most (any?) of them came out in Europe anyway so I picked this up on a bit of a whim. I'm not crazy into shmups but I've enjoyed Ikaruga, Gradius V and Ketsui in the past and good though they were, none of them let you be a flying cat shouting kana insults through a megaphone to defeat enemies. This game is beyond stupid in terms of characters, setting, music and the addition of commentator constantly yelping at you (you can turn him off but it hardly seems in the spirit of the thing) but the actual gameplay and mechanics are those of a very solid shooter. Solid as in well-designed with regard to upgrades and scoring and solid in the sense of being pretty fucking hard. I had a great time with it and will be keeping an eye out for a copy of Gokujou Parodius at a decent price.

Game 51:Star Fox (SFC) 16/814

I played through this so many times as a kid but could barely remember any of it, this playthough was a delightful nostalgic jaunt and as a dirty European the first time I've ever played it at the right speed and without massive black bars. Nowhere near as hideous-looking as I'd expected despite me playing it on a far from optimal setup (42" LCD through composite. Yep) and once I'd adjusted to the framerate I was zooming and barrel-rollin' all over the place with the cocksure space swagger I had last exhibited 20 years ago. This is still a really fun game to play, there's a ton of content with the alternate routes and the forced simplicity of the graphics has left it looking a lot better than you might've feared. I enjoyed this a lot more than the 3DS game.

Game 52: World of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck (MD) 16/814

And this is how it ends. I was reminiscing with my dad about the MegaDrive this morning and we both fondly remembered this as it had a sick co-op mode we played through a number of times. We both loved the console but I was too dumb for Lemmings and he too slow for Sonic so this was a good common ground. It's easy yes, but it's charming as hell and reminds me of good times so glad I got to experience it again although it's a shame I had to solo it.

Post 1
Post 2

tav7623

Congrats and welcome to the club Yasawas!

P.S. Don't forget to send a PM with a link showing all the games you beat to Mr.Orange so you can get put in/on the Hall of Fame

Wazzy

Banned
Game # 7: Final Fantasy XIV - ???
No update yet.

Game #8 Double Dragon Neon - 1 hour
No update yet.

Game #9 Hard Corps: Uprising - 11 hours 12 minutes
No update yet.

Game # 10 Final Fantasy The 4 Heroes Of Light - Not sure how to check play time

Finally picked this up again and where I last left off I was turned into an animal. It's weird coming back and realizing how much Bravely Default was influenced from this. Anyway, I reached Spelvia and finally reunited with my entire party. Now I'm just levelling up for a bit.

Original post:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=121792243&postcount=1390[/QUOTE]

61. Hohokum

This game was an absolute joy to play. Plenty of content too, I felt satisfied after obsessing over it earlier in the week.

62. Watch Dogs

What to say that hasn't been said? For my part I love every AC game and so I love the parts that are similar to AC. But they completely dropped the ball in so many areas that my hatred for the game rose. Early on it seems like you can do missions stealthily, but that goes so far out the window for the most part I wanted to scream. Yes, you've hacked this place well, now let's send 50 enemies and set all the alarms off for you! The phone mechanics while driving were horrific. Just such a failure overall. Most of the things I hate about it were in the story missions, there were some enjoyable infiltration things. I am still hopeful that WD2 corrects this and isn't 75% a shooter.

Lemstar

40: Heroes of Might and Magic III: The Shadow of Death (PC) - 50h (04/21/14 - 08/16/14)

That was not nearly as fun as I had anticipated by the time I got to the end.

At least part of that is due to the narrative's constraints - structuring it around the career of five individual characters and their convergences isn't necessarily a problem, but the actual events that occur dictate that the player is using troops from one of three factions (out of eight) for nearly the entire duration. Outside of a couple of detours involving Castle-heavy maps, the rest of the factions barely got any shine at all, and it was really kind of monotonous using the same sets of troops for so long at a time.

The difficulty level didn't help, either. I understand that there's not much to be done without actually improving the combat AI to make it more challenging, but giving the AI resource/castle buildup advantages isn't a consistent way of getting about it - after the game state stabilizes a bit, none of that matters, but in the first couple of weeks, it's a huge obstacle to work around, especially if the CPU pokes into your territory (most notable in the final campaign's second mission, where both AI factions are likely to have the barrier to the starting area breached by week 2 - coincidentally, that was the only campaign mission where I tried to brute force an elimination victory and failed).

The original plan had been to play the three Heroes 3 games' campaigns in canonical order, but I don't think I'll have the stomach for it after this slog.

Weiss

Banned
Game 42: Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon - 5 hours

God this was great. A bite sized packet of ridiculously over the top yet strangely sincere 80's parody that desperately needs to become its own series.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Babu! I throw my hand up in defeat at the hands of the Rank C technical race course! But I did earn a victory over Mega Man Legends as a whole! Even so~ the faces on the balloons in the one mini-game are gonna troll my nightmares for some time ta come!

Games Beaten: 36 / 52
Total Playtime: 539 hours, 52 minutes

01 - 33!
34 - ??!

Sendou

Updates!

Ran out of space in my original post (24776 characters and counting) so here's a new one.

Weeks gone 33. Games beaten 35.

My Darkadia account.

Game 33: Thomas Was Alone - 3 hours 36 minutes
# Got all the achievements. First of all the game is very easy all around. It's a puzzle platformer but it doesn't make you use your head. The only difficult part in the game is managing all the playable characters but that's more of a chore than anything else. Beyond cycling through your characters I think the controls are tight.

Good graphics and presentation. When you make a game about rectangles it's too easy to take the easy way out. That isn't the case here. Good use of lighting. Music fits the experience well. One of the best looking main menus I have seen for a while.

TWA's gimmick is making rectangles characters. It succeeds in that task. That said I found the story mildly annoying if that makes sense. Something about the narration and story's presentation made me feel like that. That said it's a good concept and it's not too bad in any sense.

Game 34: Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY Edition - 16 hours 18 minutes
# Finished Batman: Arkham Asylum the 4th time. Two times on 360, once when it still was GFWL on PC and now as Steamworks version. This is my second time getting all achievements as well. Missed a few in my GFWL playthrough.

I think this game is seriously up there with my top 5 games of all time. Even now when I'm pretty much completely familiar with the game I didn't have a boring moment playing it. Something about the gameplay just appeals to me. I'm one of those sick bastards who like Assassin's Creed -like counter-based fighting mechanics. The "predator" parts are so much fun too. Hunting down bad guys using everything in your arsenal just works. You really feel like you're the predator and the hechmen are the prey. The whole world is so lovingly put together. References are out of control. Perfect pacing. Not too short and not too long. Just the right difficulty too. Fitting and memorable music.

THAT SAID now I can see beyond the good parts in this product. They designed the game in a way that you are tempted to use "detective mode" (adds kind of filter in your view that lets you see items of importance and turns everything blueish) all the time. That makes you miss a lot of gorgeous environment art. That's the only downside I can find with this game. So yeah if you haven't played it then I recommend you do it now. You owe yourself that.

Game 35: Always Sometimes Monsters - 8 hours
# I got all the achievements. You can read my impressions over at the Steam thread:http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=125907431&postcount=18183

alekth

Game 19: The Witcher 2 - 30ish hours, finished August 18, PC
This was my third attempt at this game and it finally stuck, albeit on easy mode and taking very few side quests, especially of the do-this-n-times variety. I was a lot more bored irl when I played the first one, so I did pretty much everything there, and maybe it's just the nostalgia, but I liked pretty much everything bar the graphics better. I did like the second game's story well enough, but I could barely bring myself to care for any of the characters. Also I hated getting a door slammed in my face 90% of the time I was following someone, and things like the menus, the map, the wheel-switch thing... half of the controls sucked with kb/m, half of them sucked with a controller, so yeah, kind of glad I'm done with it.

Game 20: Final Fantasy XIII - 54 hours, finished August 18, PS3
I decided to replay this mainly to celebrate my new Panny plasma, and yes, it looks really good. Another reason was that I first played it in Japanese, in my 2nd year of Japanese studies, and I liked it then. The story seemed kind of garbled and unexplained, but at the time I assumed it was all me not understanding everything in the dialogue. I sort of suspected, later on, that that hadn't been the case, but whatever. Well, this time I once again refused to read wall of text logs. With 2 or so years of watching almost no anime I discovered that now I have very low tolerance for the characters, and that, yes, the story is stupid and not really there. I meant to do more of the quests, but that went south pretty fast too.

full list

StingX2

Game 59: The Wolf Among Us Episode 4 - 2 Hours
(Started 8/15/14 / Finished 8/15/14)
Wow this was a crazy good episode and now I sound like a broken record. I loved the tense way it ended.

Game 60: The Wolf Among Us Episode 5 - 1 Hour 15 Minutes
(Started 8/18/14 / Finished 8/18/14)
This hit all the checks in my head for epic finale. I want more, I need more....time to buy Fables graphic novels x_x

52+ and beyond

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom