• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

52 Games - 1 Year Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxcriden

I don't know if this is the level you're thinking of, but Rocky Road ended my first SMG run years ago. A friend and I spent a solid hour trying to jump the stupid moving holes in that stupid level and by the time we eventually quit, we'd both lost any enthusiasm we might've had for the game. The only reason I decided to pick up SMG again after selling it was because I knew Rocky Road was optional and there was no sense killing myself over optional content.

That wasn't the level I was thinking of (see my post just above yours), but I do remember that level taking many, many tries to beat and I distinctly remember thinking that was the first really significant challenge in the game beyond the level of difficulty I'd expected.

Axass

Haha, glad you're digging it. I was terrible at the Manta one, I think my wife had to beat it. The Galaxy's Greatest Wave, I want to say?

Nope, although that was one of the trickiest ones for me. I'm specifically thinking of
Dreadnought's Purple Coins.

That was pretty difficult, I agree. I remember it took me lots of tries, because unlike the one I mentioned you need to get every single coin.

maxcriden

That was pretty difficult, I agree. I remember it took me lots of tries, because unlike the one I mentioned you need to get every single coin.

Yeah, I forgot the Luigi one had excess coins so you could kind of create your own ideal route to getting all of them. I thought the one I mentioned was actually the hardest in the game because of requiring you to get every single coin in one perfect run. Similarly, I found
Cosmic Clone Wall Jumpers
to be one of the hardest in SMG2, because of its similar requirements for a perfect run.

Krafter

I have officially returned from vacation, finishing four titles to put me right on the brink of the goal. Will probably be in the club in the next week, whee!

Game 47: The Hobbit: Armies of Middle-Earth (Android) - July 17 - 60 hours
Empire building game I have been playing for the last year or so with the family. My sister-in-law and I were the last two holdouts, and we are now done as well. There are a million of these games, but this one has the LOTR skin and artwork to spice things up a bit.

Game 48: Kirby and the Amazing Mirror (GBA) - July 21 - 11 hours
My first Kirby game, and I was surprised by the depth of the gameplay. I had thought it to be a simple platformer coming in, but the absorbing of the various powers is such a great mechanic. Was very easy to get lost at first, got my bearings later on with help of my nephew. Flagship developed title, but full of that Nintendo magic.

Game 49: Aliens Armageddon (Arcade) - July 26 - 3 hours
Stellar light-gun shooting game. Somewhat similar to the Terminator: Salvation Arcade game, with an Aliens skin, and I will always play any Alien game. The wife and I, while on vacation, beat 2 levels one day and the final 2 the next, showing the kids how we used to do things back in the day. An absolute blast.

Game 50: Metal Slug 5 (PSP) - July 28 - 4 hours
One of my favourite series, been playing through the PSP collection at a 1 game per year rate. I would put MS5 at about middle of the pack, below MS2, MSX and MS3, but that's still high praise as I love all the games in the series. It's that Metal Slug gameplay, without the need for extra quarters, in the palm of my hand. What's not to love?

Original Post updated

boldverine

Neo Member
I'm late to the party and have a lot to catch-up but I like me a challenge.

1. Pokémon Crystal - GBC - ?? Time - Still love it.
2. Journey - PS3 - 1st Time - Loved it
3. DMC:Devil May Cry - PC - 2nd Time - I didn’t expect it but I love this game.
4. Resogun - PS4 - 1st Time - It was fun but not my cup of tea.
5. Flower - PS4 - 1st Time - Really nice experience.
6. Killzone Mercenary - PS Vita - 1st Time - It was a pain but is a decent shooter I guess.
7. Metal Gear Rising - PS3 - 1s Time - Kind of hated it at the beggining but it grew on me. Still like DMC better.
8. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes - 1s Time - It’s the future of Metal Gear and it’s short. It was fun.
9. Crash Bandicoot 3 - 2nd Time - Still a great game after all this years.
10. Diablo 3 Vanilla/Reaper of Souls - ?? Time - Reached max lvl and played the whole story serveral time this year on both versions so I guess that counts as one at least :p.
11. World Of Warcraft - ?? Time - Leveled to 90 more than once, farmed a legendary back and finished Siege Of Oggrimmar. I guess that counts too.
12. Persona 4 Arena - 1st Time - It’s a fun game even if you don’t know anything about Persona.
13. Tekken Tag Tournament 2 - 1st Time - Much better than 6 that’s for sure.
14. FIFA 14 - 1st Time - Won everything with a weak team from my country. It took time so it counts :D.
15. Pokémon Red - ?? Time - Nostalgia hit and went all the way from the beggining until I caught Mewtwo :D.
16. Pokémon SoulSilver - 3rd Time - Finally picked it up again and finished it.

Still playing:

FF: IX - I'm trying to finish this for the first time and I've tried so many that I lost count.
Pokémon Y - Already finished X.
Uncharted Golden Abyss - I feel bored playing it so I don't know if it will ever happen.
Metal Gear Solid - I'm halfway through.
NFS Most Wanted - Have to finish it someday on the vita.
Persona 4 Golden - Still at the beggining.
FF: X - Still at beggining also.

MRORANGE

And two more are in the hall of fame :) Congrats to both of you!

0B3chbj.jpg
StingX2: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=95545831&postcount=217

v7dm4oG.png
Threads: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=95448325&postcount=129

This brings the total to 10 people who have completed the challenge so far:

Game 20: Wild Arms [Vita] 27:14

Really happy I finally pulled the trigger and got into the series, I'm looking forward to playing Wild Arms 2 which I also got on the PSN flash sale for 99 cents. I really hated the text font in the game but otherwise it was a good experience.

Updated post!

oggob

| MY COMPLETE LIST |

Completion #22 : Game #36 : Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition (PS4 | ~12hrs | Trophies - 100%)
Played straight on Hard, as I have completed the Vita version to 100% Platinum last year. Once again I have picked up the Platinum trophy, even if the final trophy to obtain it was simply to start a new game in Save File Slot 2! lol

Loved the new area of Pico de Gallo, which had some really challenging arenas, some alot tougher than other later parts in the game. Canal De Las Flores was abit hit and miss though, it was just another area to explore and didn't really stand out.

Overall, even though they dumped the new stuff into the middle of the game, they still made it pretty cohesive, which wouldn't have that easy to do.

The game is simply amazing still and I loved every moment of it again. Happy for Drinkbox that a lot more people finally get to play it.

I will be all over a sequel, if/when it hits.

Completion #23 : Game #25 : Octodad : Dadiest Catch (PS4 | ~7hrs | Trophies - 100%)
The story is ridiculous and makes no sense whatsoever by the end of the game. I do not care though, what we have here is just a frustrating but fun game that places you in a bunch of strange situations.

I have only just heard about free DLC that is planned to be released and I will happily slip and slide my way through it... It's not a traditional game, so it can easily be dismissed, but it still is a charming and fun experience that I am glad to have played.

Weiss

Banned
Game 39: Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons - 22 hours

Compared to Link's Awakening, this was seriously lackluster. It had some really cool items like the Roc's Cape, the Super Boomerang, and the Magnetic Gloves, but it really paled in comparison to the previous game in the story department and lacked personality. It's still a good game, mind, it just doesn't meet the standards of the series.

donny2112

It's still a good game, mind, it just doesn't meet the standards of the series.

Individually, they're under Link's Awakening in my book. As a single game (playing them back-to-back and transferring your character to get the items from both, along with the continuing story back in the original game as you do stuff in the second game), they rank ahead of Link's Awakening in my book. Really recommend playing the second one with your transferred character and trying to get everything in both games with that. :)

ChryZ

I'll prolly manage 52 if I keep up the pace ...

~/Documents > egrep '^[0-9]' games2014.txt
01. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (Steam, 2014/01/03)
02. Ys I from "Ys I and II Chronicles" (Steam, 2014/01/05)
03. Galaga Legions DX (PS3, 2014/01/11)
04. 140 (Steam, 2014/01/12)
05. Contrast (PS4, 2014/01/14)
06. Dishonored DLC Brigmore Witches (Steam, 2014/01/19)
07. Borderlands 2 DLC 3 (Steam, 2014/01/24)
08. Crysis Warhead (Steam, 2014/01/26)
09. Spelunky HD (Steam, 2014/02/04)
10. Borderlands 2 DLC 4 (Steam, 2014/02/11)
11. Ikaruga (Steam, 2014/02/25)
12. Under Defeat HD (PS3, 2014/03/17)
13. Shelter (Steam, 2014/03/23)
14. One Finger Death Punch (Steam, 2014/03/27)
15. Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch (PS3, 2014/04/06)
16. 10,000,000 (Steam, 2014/04/17)
17. FTL: Advanced Edition (Steam, 2014/04/24)
18. Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus (PS3, 2014/05/02)
19. Just Cause 2 (Steam, 2014/05/18)
20. Stick it to the Man (PS4, 2014/05/25)
21. Hammerwatch (Steam, 2014/05/27)
22. Velocity Ultra (Steam, 2014/05/30)
23. Risk of Rain (Steam, 2014/06/03)
24. Crimzon Clover WORLD IGNITION (Steam, 2014/06/07)
25. Clickr (Steam, 2014/06/21)
26. R-Type Dimensions (PS3, 2014/06/24)
27. Joe Danger (Steam, 2014/07/12)
28. The Floor is Jelly (Steam, 2014/07/19)
29. PAC-MAN Championship Edition DX+ (Steam, 2014/07/22)
30. Trine 2: Complete Story (PS4, 2014/07/27)

Game 39: Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons - 22 hours

Compared to Link's Awakening, this was seriously lackluster. It had some really cool items like the Roc's Cape, the Super Boomerang, and the Magnetic Gloves, but it really paled in comparison to the previous game in the story department and lacked personality. It's still a good game, mind, it just doesn't meet the standards of the series.

I don't even remember this game!

One done, one super done!

Game #30: New Super Mario Bros. U - 7 hours, 1 min (Finished)
I didn't even do every stage. This is what I get for playing the DLC first. The only reason I even bothered to get this was for the Challenges, and I haven't done any of those either. But I'll count it as finished.

Game #31: HarmoKnight - 10 hours, 38 mins (Completed)
I started it last April and forgot I could use it for this list so I got on my ass and got Greats on every single stage in Normal and Fast speeds. I'm glad I did, because the last world is challenging. I had to put headphones on to do the Fast ones, which I didn't have to do for any others. I also found the message at the end of World 8 about new games to be pretty cute. Now to wait for the sequel that better happen.

molnizzle

Two more down!

16.) Borderlands - 34 hours (PC)
Pretty fun game, bummer that I had to play through the entire thing solo though. Stupid GameSpy.

17.) Ryse: Son of Rome - 6 hours (XBO)
I can't believe they're still trying to charge $60 for this. It's worth a play through... for $20. Thanks, GameFly.

Original post here.

It's worth noting that my original post is #1337.

58. Broforce, 59. Doki Doki Universe, and 60. Velocity Ultra down.

Loved all of them for very different reasons. As far as the last two....thanks again PS+!

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Game 40, Super Mario Bros 2.(JP/Lost Levels), 3DS VC
Holy fuck this game was hard as balls. I abused save states more than any other VC game. This game is brutal, no wonder it didn't release here until All Stars

tav7623

Decided to keep the train rolling and see just how many games I could manage to finish/beat this year. Though instead of posting regular updates (one for every game I beat) I figured that since I've met the challenge it might be best to just post monthly segments.

53.Batman: Arkham Asylum (Finished 7/6/14 - total playtime 8 hrs)
Comment: This game is one of the few in recent years that I love revisiting and thanks to this recent playthrough (on hard difficulty) it became the first "last gen" game that I've 100 percented (this includes all achievements/trophies) on two different consoles. Overall I love this game as well as it's successor Arkham City and it's imo one of the best Batman games out there.

54. Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor’s Edge (Finished 7/13/14 - total playtime 20 hrs 30 min)
Comment: This game is the first post NES Ninja Gaiden game I’ve sat down to play/finish and while there were a lot of things to like about the game it was sadly held back imo by the overly frustrating boss fights that required multiple retries (most required more than a dozen) before finally making some head way against them and most times relied on luck instead of skill.

55. Game & Wario (Finished 7/19/14 - total playtime 3 hrs)
Comment: I got this game earlier this week as it was one of the games being offered as this year’s Club Nintendo elite status reward (it was pretty much one of the few games being offered that I didn’t already own) and after playing it I’m honestly a bit disappointed by this game as most of the single player mini games were pretty simple & (imo) too short, not to mention the game’s nonexistent story, which was over before it even started.

56. The Darkness II (Finished 7/27/14 - estimated playtime 8 hrs)
Comment: I had previously played the first game on the Xbox 360, but had skipped the sequel mostly due to limited funds (at the time I could only afford 1 game so I went with RE Revelations on the 3DS instead) when it came out. Recently though I found a new copy of the Limited Edition PS3 version for $5 at my local Wal-Mart so I decided to finally check this game out. Overall it’s a solid game where you can do some seriously f-d up stuff to your enemies (like literally pulling their spine through their @$$) and it was (imo) an improvement over the first game which I felt towards the end was a bit of a bore.

57. Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City (Finished 7/30/14 – estimated playtime 6 hrs 45 min)
Comment: Went into this game having heard a lot of negative things about it, but it overall turned out to be a semi decent team based third person shooter. The sad thing is it’s a bad RE game and that the free Echo Six DLC mission that I played/downloaded felt more like a Resident Evil game than the main game itself.

Game 33: McPixel (PC) [Time Played: 1 hour 45mins]
Original Post
header_292x136.jpg

Playthrough
Steam Review
Imagine a puzzle game where logic is thrown out fo the window, and absurdity is rewarded - that's McPixel.

McPixel, the 'hero', is faced with various different scenarios where he is tasked with saving the day, often from a bomb. There's only one way to save the day in each scenario, but it'll often take trial and error to discover it. It often won't make sense, but it will more often than not be absurd and strangely funny.

The McPixel website describes it best "You have 20 seconds to solve each riddle, regardless whether you lose or fail, you will be transported to next puzzle that you haven't solved yet."

While it might take several attempts (and in some cases a lot of click and hope) to discover the correct way to solve the puzzle, the game rewards you, and in some ways encourages you to find all the different endings to each scenario. If you find them all you unlock the an extra round of scenarios in each level.

The game is entirely based around using the mouse, and clicking on the various objects within a scenario to trigger the outcome. There's little more to it than that, so in a stragne way it would make a great iOS game and I think I would have enjoyed it in a more casual pick up and play basis in 10 minute bursts.
Having said that I did stomach it enough to sit through it all and finish the game within 2 hours, and then attempt the 'Free DLC'.
There's plenty of pop culture references and humour to keep you engaged if you're something of a 'nerd' (I know I found them entertaining). However, the game becomes slightly derailed towards the end with just how unlogical and absurd the puzzles become. In some cases there's no real way of discovering how to save the world without a good old fashioned hopeless clicking everywhere on the screen frezy.

I enjoyed it for the crazy nature of the game, however the soundtrack might just put some people off as there's only really one track that repeats throughout the game. In short, a crazy puzzle game that might not be for everyone depending on your absurdity threshold. I'll recommend it as I enjoyed it, but I can see why some people might not. Not for everyone.

Probably best to check out the free demo available on the website: http://mcpixel.net/

Wazzy

Banned
Game #6: Persona 3 - 48 hours 49 minutes
I'm on floor 180 of Tartarus and I've finished all 12 moon bosses. Big shit went down and now I'm just grinding.

Game # 7: Final Fantasy XIV - ???
Level 49 and haven't played much. I'm about halfway to 50.

Game #8 Double Dragon Neon - 1 hour

Haven't played since I stopped at mission 4.

Game #9 Hard Corps: Uprising - 5 hours 35 minutes

I'm on mission 5 and this game is so much fun. i bought it about 3 or 4 days ago and have been playing online with my friend. The 2D style side scroller is my favourite when I do 2 player. The artwork and colours are so nice. Working on upgrading so the next missions can be easier.

Axass

Last game of July. I also made a LTTP thread on it.

Game 16: To the Moon - 7,5/10 - 5 hours and a half
Iit's a very nice little story (I cried at the end), but I can't shake the feeling it shouldn't have been a game. I mean, the only gameplay elements can be summed up to (a) walking, (b) searching memory links and (c) solving tile puzzles. With so little to "play", you'd think at least that would be flawless... yet it all feels tacked on. The tile puzzles are all so basic and easy, moreover they can be solved with how many moves you want, no penalties; searching memory links is a chore, and you get nothing after finding them, also sometimes they are put arbitrarily on weird or unimportant things; even walking doesn't work, the fact that such a simple function is borked left me speechless: there are textures you can't walk on and the mouse pointer doesn't work half the times, the characters seem to wander aimlessly sometimes, instead than going where you want. They feel more like obstacles to the enjoyment of the well narrated story than anything, none of those gameplay elements felt fun or satisfying. I think To the Moon could've been even better if it wasn't a game at all, just a straight up visual novel.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Game 41 Monaco: What's Yours is Mine PC
Played coop with my daughter, very fun local coop game. Got tough as hell in that last run of missions.

olimpia84

update:

Game 26: Remember Me (PS3) - 9hs+
# One of the most interesting settings of this past gen (NeoParis 2084). Unfortunately the gameplay was not very solid; some interesting concepts but the execution was not the best. Basically it feels like a poors man Arkham combat system coupled with the linear platforming of the Uncharted games. Nevertheless, it was fun in its own way.

Game 27: Thomas Was Alone (PS3) - 3hs+
# Very interesting presentation that kept the game together since the platforming and 'puzzle' solving wasn't that good or innovative.

Game 28: Yoshi's New Island (3DS) - 8hs+
# I had fun with this game, it's a solid platformer with fun levels. However, it doesn't come close to the original SNES masterpiece. Game is short and easy but enjoyable. Loved the new art direction and I think the game looks great. Theme song is horrible though (wtf Nintendo?).

Game 29: After Burner Climax (Arcade) - 10mins+
# Went to the arcades after many years and tried this bad boy. The highlight was the motion seat in the cabinet but other than this is your typical arcade game where it becomes incredibly difficult as you progress and it's somewhat difficult to figure out what's going on in the screen. Extremely short, took about 10 minutes to finish the game (got ending C) and used about 6 credits.

maxcriden

update:

Game 28: Yoshi's New Island (3DS) - 8hs+
# I had fun with this game, it's a solid platformer with fun levels. However, it doesn't come close to the original SNES masterpiece. Game is short and easy but enjoyable. Loved the new art direction and I think the game looks great. Theme song is horrible though (wtf Nintendo?).

I'm glad to hear you dug it. Just curious if you went for 100% on any of the levels. I think that's where the difficult of the game really seems to be.

BTW, I thought some of the OST was legitimately great. Here's my favorite track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbjDnYfiEuQ

olimpia84

I'm glad to hear you dug it. Just curious if you went for 100% on any of the levels. I think that's where the difficult of the game really seems to be.

BTW, I thought some of the OST was legitimately great. Here's my favorite track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbjDnYfiEuQ

Not yet, I'll take a break from the game before I attempt to go for 100%. I didn't mind the easy difficulty to be honest (finished the game with 95 lives lol) since the levels were enjoyable and pretty to look at. The OST was good for the most part I thought but some of the tracks (like the main theme) are just weird and awful.

maxcriden

Not yet, I'll take a break from the game before I attempt to go for 100%. I didn't mind the easy difficulty to be honest (finished the game with 95 lives lol) since the levels were enjoyable and pretty to look at. The OST was good for the most part I thought but some of the tracks (like the main theme) are just weird and awful.

Oh, yeah, a couple of the tracks are just grating and disappointing to listen to. It's too bad, because there is some really good stuff in there. The World 4 overworld music is delightful too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pDJUdXc15U&index=8&list=PL2XjmdkuVL-0RQ1Tbz0iwN7DtqhkXb3Uv

Anyway, I'll be interested to hear how much more difficult it is when you go for 100%. I haven't done it either yet but it seems like quite a challenge. I'm glad to hear you dug it regardless. I thought it was really under-appreciated.

Yasawas

Game 47: Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty (PS4) 2/814

I quite enjoyed this in between the numerous crashes and occasional corrupting of my saves. I never played any of the original games but I got swept along in the hype of the release thread here and gave it a go. It is rough as all fuck but the puzzles themselves are solid and fun throughout. I hate the artstyle (why I didn't play the originals) but that's entirely subjective and I'm sure others love it. A mixed bag then - ugly and fun but ultimately impossible to recommend at £18.

More.

Kalor

It's been a slow summer for me. Only completing 4 games in July and 3 in June compared to 8 in May but I can see myself finishing a lot of games this month and next month.

32. Circuits 7/7/14
33. The Wolf Among Us 9/7/14
34. Offspring Fling ( Final Boss, most levels) 9/7/14
35. Touhou 2 29/7/14

OP

Game 14: Tomodachi Life
3E7UZSO.jpg

I'm still playing, and I'm not totally done with the game, but I've put a considerable amount of time into this. I played this every day a few times a day for the first week, but now the game's gotten to the point where I just boot it up maybe once a day, just to check on my peeps. The game is great. I truly do hope they release a sequel, but with more content and more to do. I'm a bit sick of seeing the same dreams and same dopey requests to look in my mii's belly. Definitely could use more content to keep me coming back. I think, for example, ACNL is much better in that regard.

Original post

alekth

So I fell off the gaming wagon for a couple of months, mainly in lieu of graduating and watching Supernatural. But I've been back to gaming for the past couple of weeks, so here we go once again. We start with a couple of games from before gaming hiatus though.
Main entry goes here.

Game 11: Tales of Graces f - 51 hours, finished March 2, PS3
It should be just Tales of Graces, minus the f, because I stopped playing shortly after clearing the main game, and I don't see me going back 4 months later to play more of it. As usual with Tales of games, I go in with some mediocre battle skills because I never spent too much time trying to master an awful lot of it. So, with mediocre effort comes mediocre appreciation, and while I know it's lauded as the best Tales of battle system, all I can say about it is that I enjoyed it. The story, surprisingly, didn't bother me much, and I don't think it deviates a lot in quality from the rest of Tales of. The music was awful, all 30 unique seconds of it.
Well, I ought to get started on Xillia at some point.

Game 12: The Secret World - 30-40-50??? hours, finished somewhere in March, PC
Okay, this is a MMO, so there is no end for it, but I got in a couple dozen of hours, finished the first large story arc, and lost interest (or at the very least, enthusiasm) for the time being. Not knowing if and when I'm going back to it, I'll be writing it off as finished. I still have it on my PC, just because it's 30GB and was a pain to patch.
I had been avoiding MMOs ever since I lost so much time of my life with Ragnarok Online, but The Secret World was indeed fairly different from what else I had tried. It's theme park, but it has a lot of good lore (or, masterfully stitched lore) that was enjoyable to read through and find references in, so that's a plus. On the other hand the battle system is clunky and not really enjoyable despite the relative freedom of skills to acquire.
I might go back to it one day, but after a couple of months of hiatus, I don't really feel any pull.

Game 13: Long Live the Queen - 2 hours, finished June 26, PC
One of the games that gets famous during the Steam sales, so I decided to give it a try. Played through 4-5 deaths and clearing the game, and then promptly deleted it. I enjoyed the bits I played through quite a bit actually, but I was getting annoyed by the end. Overall it seems like a game I'd prefer on mobile, so that I can play it on the subway and never have the opportunity to get annoyed due to playing it for more than quarter of an hour.
Going for more endings would have required using a guide or keeping detailed records, neither of which I wanted to bother with.

Game 14: Borderlands 2 - 80ish hours (~130 by now), finished July 7, PC
I liked the first one, and I like this one too, although it seems to have more rubbish loot. Also, as with the first one, I soloed the first playthrough, and in my opinion this is in no way a game particularly better in multiplayer. Sure, it can be better, but it will depend mainly on the people, not on the game being designed around it. Which suits me fine.
I'd probably be done with it by now, because I don't even fancy too much going through the next few modes, but I've picked a MP game with a new character and having a Mechromancer is quite fun (after spending both the first game and this one with the soldier/commando class).

Game 15: The Typing of The Dead: Overkill - 7 hours, finished July 9, PC
Love this so much! I suck at it, because I can't touch type for real although it's been on my to learn list for ages. It's still on my hdd though, and I've been going through the regular House of the Dead: Overkill game, and occasionally through a typing level.
I need more parody games.

Game 16: The Walking Dead: Season 1 + 400 Days DLC - 14 hours, finished July 18, PC
I moderately enjoyed this, enough to decide to play the second season (when the last episode comes out). After finishing the game though, I checked a wiki, mostly to confirm my suspicions, and the whole tailored to player's decisions thing is fairly bleh and very short-term, or, worse, just a statistic.

Game 17: Tomb Raider - 19 hours, finished August 1, PC
I have no Lara Croft nostalgia to speak of (have only played one game, pre-first-reboot), and I didn't mind this being a Lara Croft Uncharted. I can't really compare to Uncharted's experience due to me sucking at aiming with a controller and hence having great difficulty enjoying it on a console. So this was sort of a new experience in that it was overall very, very enjoyable. Story and Lara's character were also enjoyable and nicely handled. Other characters not so much, but there were just too many of them.
I actually didn't care much for Lara turning badass so quickly, which is something that seems to bother many. If anything the challenges and collectables is what bugged me, as they have nothing to do with the survival and are just a waste of time. The documents contributed to the story at least, but the rest was ridiculous. And I suppose the tombs weren't much to shout about.

Game 18: The Wolf Among Us - 8 hours, finished August 2, PC
It was sort of off at the beginning, maybe I went in with some expectations a la Grimm. By the second episode it had started feeling nice and engaging. Hopefully they will bring out a second season, though as many have expressed, playing as episodes come out seems like a huge pain, and the way to go about it is buy on a sale when it's all out. It also surprised me how short this turned out to be compared with The Walking Dead.

Game 34: Shadowrun Returns (PC) [Time Played: 10 hours 30 mins]
Original Post

header_292x136.jpg

Play through Part 1 & Part 2
Steam Review

I played the classic on the SNES back in the day and only lasted 10 minutes before dying. No matter what I did, I died. I thought Shadowrun Returns might be as deadly as the original, but (thankfully) it wasn't.

Shadowrun Returns looks amazing, and from the first moment it makes you wonder just what lies ahead in this strange cyberpunk world. The inviting world teasing you to explore and uncover the truths behind the deadman who wants you to find his killer, however... it never really got there.
Don't get me wrong - the various maps look amazing, but there's little to them other than being a very impressive backdrop. There's no real reward for exploring, and the various NPCs that litter the sidewalks aren't much more than fancy decoration on an already good looking cake. Perhaps I was asking too much for this to be a deeply engrossing world, yet in a way it is an engrossing world thanks to the storytelling.

What you are going to get in Shadowrun Returns is a great story, and for some it might even be too text heavy (especially if English isn't your native language). However, I enjoyed it, the story is basically a detective novel as you try to uncover the mystery of who killed your friend. The catch being the client is the deadman himself, which is great and is a nice nod to the old film noir movies of old.
It's due to how well the story is written I can forgive it for being very linear with almost no plot trees or divergence due to your actions or selections that I noticed.

In fact, that seems to be the theme of the game. It's a very well presented world, with a very well written story, but just seems to lack a little spice. There's very little loot, there's very little to explore, the skill tree looks rather impressive, but doesn't seem grab you at all. The same with character creation.
I don't want to come across as overly negative with the game, as I really did enjoy what was offered, yet I feel like it could have offered so much more. Again, perhaps I'm demanding too much from what is already a very well presented game.
On the plus side it has Steam Workshop integration and there seems to be a host of community mods and projects underway, so a host of new content should just be around the corner. Likewise the developers have released DLC, which seemingly adds another layer to the game (perhaps that's what I'm looking for?).

In short, a very solid game and a welcome return for Shadowrun, but it's not as brutal as the original and perhaps lacks that little something extra to make it a true great. Enjoy the detective story.

Sendou

Ran out of space in my original post (24776 characters and counting) so here's a new one.

Game 31: Shovel Knight - 7 hours 10 minutes
# Beaten the game. What a great game. Probably one of my favorites of this year. Everything in this game comes together. Gameplay is extremely tight. It feels so good just controlling the character. You can perform some amazing stuff when you get to know the game. OST is just on another level too. My favorite so far this year. I don't even have nostalgia for NES games (or NEStalgia?) so it's fair to say the game stands on its own two feets.

Game 32: Tearaway - I don't know how long it took me
# Beaten the game. A delightful experience. One of the best artstyles in any game ever. Kind of takes whole paper thing in whole new level when you compare it to Paper Mario for example. Fitting soundtrack. I also liked how the game makes your creations part of the world. Actual platforming gameplay is a bit lame but nothing too bad. Tearaway just is a game that's best experienced not necessarily played if that makes sense.

Game 33: Thomas Was Alone - 3 hours 36 minutes
# Got all the achievements. First of all the game is very easy all around. It's a puzzle platformer but it doesn't make you use your head. The only difficult part in the game is managing all the playable characters but that's more of a chore than anything else. Beyond cycling through your characters I think the controls are tight.

Good graphics and presentation. When you make a game about rectangles it's too easy to take the easy way out. That isn't the case here. Good use of lighting. Music fits the experience well. One of the best looking main menus I have seen for a while.

TWA's gimmick is making rectangles characters. It succeeds in that task. That said I found the story mildly annoying if that makes sense. Something about the narration and story's presentation made me feel like that. That said it's a good concept and it's not too bad in any sense.

Game 34: Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY Edition - 16 hours 18 minutes
# Finished Batman: Arkham Asylum the 4th time. Two times on 360, once when it still was GFWL on PC and now as Steamworks version. This is my second time getting all achievements as well. Missed a few in my GFWL playthrough.

I think this game is seriously up there with my top 5 games of all time. Even now when I'm pretty much completely familiar with the game I didn't have a boring moment playing it. Something about the gameplay just appeals to me. I'm one of those sick bastards who like Assassin's Creed -like counter-based fighting mechanics. The "predator" parts are so much fun too. Hunting down bad guys using everything in your arsenal just works. You really feel like you're the predator and the hechmen are the prey. The whole world is so lovingly put together. References are out of control. Perfect pacing. Not too short and not too long. Just the right difficulty too. Fitting and memorable music.

THAT SAID now I can see beyond the good parts in this product. They designed the game in a way that you are tempted to use "detective mode" (adds kind of filter in your view that lets you see items of importance and turns everything blueish) all the time. That makes you miss a lot of gorgeous environment art. That's the only downside I can find with this game. So yeah if you haven't played it then I recommend you do it now. You owe yourself that.

Game 35: Always Sometimes Monsters - 8 hours
# I got all the achievements. You can read my impressions over at the Steam thread:http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=125907431&postcount=18183

Game 36: Lovely Planet - 16 hours 12 minutes according to Steam but that time includes a whole lot of idling.
# I got all the achievements. You can read my impressions over at the Steam thread:http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=126560198&postcount=3275 TL;DR Delightful but flawed game at times.

Game 37: Portal - 5 hours ~
# Played it again. Classic.

Game 38: The Walking Dead: Season Two - 8 hours 42 minutes
# Beaten with all achievements. The Walking Dead Season 1 was my game of the year when it was released. I can't help but find Season 2 inferior to it. Many unmemorable characters and really caring for anyone but the main character didn't come until the last episode. Speaking of last episode it was amazing. I really liked how it finished the season. Very emotional from time to time. The season overall was an enjoyable experience but I'm still disappointed. High expectations tend to lead to that.

Game 39: Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon - 6 hours 42 minutes
# Story beaten. Good stuff from the beginning to the end. I enjoyed Far Cry 3 but Blood Dragon basically takes away almost everything I disliked about that game while amplifying the good parts. Setting is obviously incredible and something not often seen in games. Lots of fun references. The writing comes off as very self-aware and it works very well with the game. One of the funniest games I remember playing. Gameplay is very enjoyable too. It doesn't evolve as much as I would have hoped but it's still a blast to the end. I wouldn't have objected to this game going on a little longer but considering it's a DLC it's actually quite meaty. This game made me reconsider getting Far Cry 4 close to launch.

Game 40: Hexcells - 3 hours 6 minutes
# Got all achievements. Short but sweet puzzle games. Really cool atmosphere. Not easy but not too difficult either. Basically how I like my puzzle games. Reminds me of a Picross a bit which is cool. Certainly made me interested in trying the next two games in the series.

Game 41: Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition - 7 hours 37 minutes
# Story beaten on normal. Didn't go for achievements because challenges started really frustrate me. What a game. From art to gameplay this game is a real gem. Didn't have a dull moment with it. That mexican/luchador theme is so perfect yet never seen in video games. Music goes well with it. Obviously the game owes a lot to the classics but still manages to have an identity of its own and bring along bunch of new ideas. It's not the perfect platformer or brawler but then again it's pretty unreasonable to assume it would be. What we have here is a package of fun. Exactly what I'm looking for from video games. EDIT: Later went back and got all achievements.

Game 42: SteamWorld Dig - 5 hours 30 minutes
# Reached the credits. I really enjoyed my time with this game. I'm so glad the devs had the sense to keep this focused enough. Often with games you see that developers try doing too many things ending up with a product where nothing is really good. Other thing I liked is lenght. I felt it was pretty much perfect. Otherwise everything seemed to come together nicely. Digging your own tunnels is a very cool concept and it was well executed here. Beautiful artstyle that translated well to the big screen. Extra props to the developers considering the origins!

Game 43: Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair! - About 40 hours
# Reached the credits. Good follow up to Danganronpa. Kind of cool to play these rather closely to each other. The game kept getting better ending up with quite the rollercoaster. I really enjoy the absolutely crazy story in this game. Monokuma is such a brilliant character. Music is once again good. Huge negative about this game is the actual gameplay. The minigames that form trials are just simply bad. They weren't fun to play in the least. Really made me feel despair more than once. Not enough to ruin the game for me but I still have to wonder just how exactly did they let these make their way into the final product.

Game 44: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor - 19 hours 30 minutes
# Reached the credits and did a bunch of the side content as well. Shadow of Mordor is a curious game. The first quarter of the game just simply feels awesome. While not everything feels fresh it's all crafted so well that you can't help but admire the result. After a while you start getting less and less of those "wow" moments. There's plenty to do for sure but it's just that a lot of that just feels like a simple copy-paste job. The game is uncannily similiar to Batman: Arkham series at times. This includes the combat system, bosses and other minor stuff. I don't think they improved from that series either. Both Monolith and Rocksteady act under the same WB Games umbrella here but it was still disappointing to see how this was handled. The similiarities were even more striking since I played Batman: Arkham Asylum very recently and it's one of my favorite games that I have finished many times.

Nemesis system which is basically procederally generated bosses has been receiving a lot of praise. I found out that it totally deserves that too. What Monolith achieved here is unbelievable. The orcs generated by the system actually feel like inviduals rather than clones with small differences. I'm sure at some point you'll start seeing more and more of samey orcs but for the 20 hours I played I think they did a pretty good job of avoiding that. It really manages to achieve that "nemesis" feeling too when a lowly soldier kills you and rises through the ranks avoiding your blade. Writers did a good job with the orcs. Listening to their banter is entertaining. This also does a lot to bring Nemesis system alive. Sadly the Nemesis system loses meaning as the game progresses. Defeating any enemy including bosses after you receive end-game abilities feels too easy. This hurts nemesis system a lot too.

There's some discrepancy going on with the missions. Main missions are by large fun and varied. Side missions not so much. That's not to say there aren't fun side missions. It's just that they seem to be hidden under piles of uninteresting and recycled content. For example one subset of 20 missions consist of only doing the same task in different environments. I just don't find that something I would want to do. It doesn't help that quickly you stop caring about the potential rewards since you're so powerful you have little use with them.

I really enjoyed my time with Shadow of Mordor. It just got old fast.

Game 45: Costume Quest 2 - 6 hours 30 minutes
# Got all the achievements. Pretty continues where the first Costume Quest left off without bringing too much new to mix. That's fine though since it's is still a pretty sweet package. Double Fine knows how to make some refreshing games. On the flip side the game also features Double Fine's trademark wonkiness which is a shame. Features quite a number of bugs and is generally unpolished. That said it's a game that's easy to forgive.

Game 46: Outland - 12 hours
# Game beaten. Pretty nice game. Housemarque is known for their incredibly tight gameplay and Outland is just another example how that is completely justified. Everything just feels right. It didn't give me any "oh wow this is amazing" moments but the game is still very solid all the way through. Looking forward to Housemarque's next game on PC.

Game 47: The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth - 75 hours
# Final boss beaten on normal difficulty. When I started playing this game I was ecstatic. Rebirth is the facelift that was needed to bring one of the games that started the renaissance of roguelikes to year 2014. That said it still has the same problems as every roguelike does. I found that it's very hard to get challenging yet fun runs going in this game. Either you're going to end up way overpowered or just too weak to put up a fight. Also the final four levels of the game always felt a bit duller since they lacked items that define your character. I always found entering a treasure room the most exciting parts of the game. Other problems I have with the game include how some items don't work together at all. The Binding of Isaac is based on discovery and exploration. When result of that exploration is underwhelming that's going to hurt the overall experience. I should clarify that I don't mind bad combinations but instead I'm just talking about items that don't form a combination. I'll be returning to the game. One of the most impressive parts of this game's design is replayability.

Game 48: L.A. Noire - 24 hours
# Some sweet environments and atmosphere wrapped in subpar gameplay. Too few games take place in this era. Has some potential that I wish will be unleashed in future titles in the series.

Game 49: DLC Quest - 2 hours
# Novelty idea but with lacking execution. The joke they based the game around has gotten a bit old by now too. It could have been so much more really.

Game 50: Finding Teddy
# Beautiful pixelart world that lacks substance. Puzzle design that tries way too hard to be clever and fails doing so. I'm happy I played it but I'm also glad I had a walkthrough open on another monitor.

Game 51: Super Meat Boy
# Didn't quite live up to the hype. Probably the tightest indie platformer in existence with great presentation. However it failed to keep up the fun when the difficulty ramped up.

Game 52: 6180 the moon
# Simplistic but still quite decent platformer. Doesn't quite reach its potential. Story is mind blowingly bad.

Adahn

Original Post

Total: 32/52

July's games

Game 31: Atelier Rorona Plus: The Alchemist of Arland (Vita) 50+ hours

It was nice to finally finish the trilogy, albeit in the ever so slightly Vita out-of-order release order! Mechanically the game was fantastic, stealing the combat and crafting from Meruru Plus, but something felt missing from the main story. The regular requirements along with the underwhelming world map helped make it feel a little less epic than both Totori and Meruru, even though the writing was exceptionally strong. I missed the micro-management too! Overtime was fantastic, well worth the price of admission, but fairly easy to break it with some overpowered items

Game 32: Lego Batman 2: DC Superheroes (Vita) c. 10 hours

As with Chima, two full run throughs and the extra Justice League combat stuff to nab the Plat. Standard Lego stuff by now, although I'll have to check the multiplayer option out just to see if it's any cop. Nice to have received it on Plus rather than dropping money on it too.

Aru

- Game 31: Dokuro (Vita) - ? hours - Beaten on Aug 4 - Appreciation: Good
Decent puzzle/platforming game. The ~150 levels are short, but together they make the game quite long (20 hours according to HLTB, if you collect every coin). The princess' IA is quite annoying and the second half of the game is rather frustrating, though. If you don't have patience, I wouldn't recommend this game. The bosses are a real pro of this game.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Language barrier? Pff! Just press buttons to be awesome! Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity is over an done with! Segac even if ya don't localize your own games people are still gonna get their hands on 'em! So thanks for at least making 'em!

Games Beaten: 33 / 52
Total Playtime: 477 hours, 0 minutes

link!

38: XBlaze Code: Embryo (PSV) - 6h (07/28/14 - 08/01/14)

Don't play this. It's really not worth your while, even if you love the BlazBlue universe.
Reallys? That's a shame since Aksys was on a small roll with VN's. I never played the BB games but was still kinda interested in this to support the genre an all.

LX_Theo

Banned
Welp, gotta start a second post now...

Going to go and mark all the ones I have intention of starting and playing through. Ordered by sequential order of the first time playing in 2014.

Last Updated: November 26th, 2014
Completed Games: 52 - Done

| Abbreviated Post | Detailed Post Part 1 | HowLongToBeat Tracking Account |

GAME 43: Tomodachi Life - 23 Hours (COMPLETE) - August 8th
# For completion, I know there is a credits sequence (that I have not gotten to) as a part of a child growing up. I will count as complete at that point. I will play plenty more after that, though.
# Reached the credits sections. At most, it means I've experienced most of what the game has to offer. But all of it is fresh with every new islander, so I won't be stopping any time soon.

GAME 44: Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus - 5 Hours (COMPLETE) - August 4th
# Time to play this.
# Enjoyed it as much as I expected. Wasn't shorter than expected, but it felt a bit quicker. Maybe its a pacing issue? Well, we still have the Zukons.

GAME 45: Spyro the Dragon - 5.5 Hours (COMPLETE) - August 5th
# Tomodachi Life Judgement Bay picked this as my next game to finish... Time to return to this franchise (on the Vita! :D )
# **** Gnasty and his stupid boss level.

Game 46: Jade Cocoon 2 - 7 Hours (Incomplete)
# The original is still my favorite PS1 game of all time. The sequel on the PS2... is quite different. Still good. Will replay for this challenge in a heartbeat and am playing it now.

GAME 47: Metrico - 5 Hours (COMPLETE) - August 10th
# Actually adding this to the list after I think I'm most of the way through. It... It is good at first. Then its mechanics develop into annoyances. Guess I'll see if that continues.
# Sadly I don't think this game was all that good. Some of its ideas were good and it made good use of the Vita's functions... Bu the puzzle designs became stupid over time. Too much was it just guess and check for what this control input did. As soon as you figured that out (if you figured it out), then you're usually good on the puzzle.

GAME 48: Skyrim - 35 Hours (COMPLETE) - August 24th
# Wanted to play this again. Messed around in some sidequest like Dark brotherhood then charged through the main story.

GAME 47: Spyro: Ripto's Rage - 9 Hours (COMPLETE) - August 28th
# Going to play all three at some point. Second game.
# Big improvement over first. Orb requirement for last boss was annoying.

GAME 51: Cherry Tree High Comedy Club - 3.5 Hours (COMPLETE) - August 26th
# Got for really cheap on Steam. Man, did this game make me think some weeaboo made it or what. To note, its not bad. It was actually quite fun. Between the American setting with a million Japanese cultural traits, the lesbian overtones, and the main mechanics inspired heavily from Persona social links? Yeah, it makes me feel as though it came from that sort of source. Again, it was enjoyable with some decent writing and short, enjoyable story. That part just stood out to me.

GAME 52: Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair - 34 Hours (COMPLETE) - September 6th
# I LOVE THIS GAME

GAME 53: Dragon Age: Origins - 35 Hours (COMPLETE) - September 15th
# Replayed for DAI

GAME 54: Dragon Age 2 - 27 Hours (COMPLETE) - September 23rd
# Replayed for DAI

GAME 55: Fable 2 - 14 Hours (COMPLETE) - September 30th
# Never owned a 360. Literally the only game I wanted on it I couldn't get elsewhere. Bought it used for cheap, borrowed a friend's system. I enjoyed it. Its basically exactly what I expected from the series after playing 1 and 3.

GAME 56: Persona 4 Arena Ultimax - 12 Hours (COMPLETE) - October 4th
# Borrowed a copy from a friend and ran through the story in a night and a day. Story was okay. Gameplay is still quite fun, but still a traditional fighter with many of those barriers to casual play. Quite a good game, but it feels like a spinoff with improvements on the first Arena.

GAME 57: Dragon Age: Awakening + Other Origins DLC - 10 Hours (COMPLETE) - October 15th
# Replayed for DAI, included Awakening and Witch Hunt

GAME 58: Freedom Wars - 34 Hours (COMPLETE) - November 5th
# I enjoyed this a lot. Probably the best pure gameplay experience I've had for much of the year. Bar some pacing issues in CODE 2, its a very enjoyable game with customization options out the wahoo.

GAME 59: Dragon Age: The Last Court - 7 Hours (COMPLETE) - November 15th
# Online, story based Dragon Age adventure. Interesting, though I wouldn't play it again. Takes a week to beat but how much you play depends on how much you're willing to play.

GAME 60: Dragon Age: Inquisition - 61 Hours (COMPLETE) - November 26th
# Great game, last one... Yay

Game ??: ??? - ?? Hours (Incomplete)
#

Wensih

I looked at that on Sunday and came close to playing it. Thoughts?

It had a really dark narrative, and some great art. It's a point and click adventure which I've always found the puzzles frustrating in these types of games; however, some of the puzzles were extremely clever.
For example, there is a scenario with an angel that says the devil hid the key in a place where an angel cannot go. The solution is the key was hidden in the Divine Comedy in the section between the Inferno and Purgatory
I enjoyed it although I used a guide after the first scenario to avoid unforeseen deaths and to just enjoy the plot. If you're not going to use a guide make sure you save frequently as dying will send you back to the beginning of the scenario. There are 5 scenarios each one pretty creepy. I'd say go for it.

StingX2

Continuing just for fun now and this is now my post 52 games post since I hit the character limit.

Bonus Games
Game 53: The Wolf Among Us Episode 3:A Crooked Mile - 3 Hours
(Started 8/5/14 / Finished 8/5/14)
This episode can easily be defined as awesome. It had hard swings, hard choices, and a crazy freaking ending.

Game 54: Doki Doki Universe - 10 Hours?
(Started 7/17/14 / Finished 8/7/14)
The Personality Test aspect of this game is brilliant. The Toe Jam & Earl esque vibe the game tries to grab on to? Completely down with. The actual quests on each boring planet and present earning by making characters happy or sad? Completely exhaustively boring. Oh and the game crashes, the GAME CRASHES!

Game 55: Proteus - 1 Hour
(Started 8/8/14 / Finished 8/8/14)
I don't know what to really say about this one. You go to an island, walk around, sleep inside of creepy light a few times and it's over. Not really for me.

Game 56: Felix the Cat GB - 40 Mins
(Started 8/8/14 / Finished 8/8/14)
I really dug this old school platformer. Not terribly difficult and filled with lots of transformations for Felix the Cat. The game kept it interesting constantly on each level and that is the great mark of a great platformer.

Game 57: Trials Fusion - 10 Hours
(Started 8/10/14 / Finished 8/11/14)
This was a lot of fun but I liked the random locations of Evolution. This fell too close to HD in the near static environment look.

Game 58: Double Dragon (Genesis) - 1 Hour
(Started 8/13/14 / Finished 8/13/14)
This is easily my favorite version I've played of DD1.

Game 59: The Wolf Among Us Episode 4 - 2 Hours
(Started 8/15/14 / Finished 8/15/14)
Wow this was a crazy good episode and now I sound like a broken record. I loved the tense way it ended.

Game 60: The Wolf Among Us Episode 5 - 1 Hour 15 Minutes
(Started 8/18/14 / Finished 8/18/14)
This hit all the checks in my head for epic finale. I want more, I need more....time to buy Fables graphic novels x_x

Game 61: Rayman Origins (Vita) - 30 Hours
(Started ???? / Finished 8/20/14)
After beating this went for the Platinum (my third) and yeah I liked this a lot better on the Vita BUT this game had a serious drought of checkpoints

Game 62: Radiant Silvergun (X360) - 10 Hours
(Started 8/21/14 / Finished 8/22/14)
God bless free play. Actually without it I could reach the final boss consistently.

Game 63: Golf: Tee It Up (XBLA) - 2 Hours
(Started 9/1/14 / Finished 9/1/14)
So my buddy was having relationship woes and I didn't want to just sit there so I hammered out this mindless golf game while listening

Game 64: Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box (NDS) - 11 Hours
(Started: 2009 / Finished 9/2/14)
So I started this back in 2009 and then my DS was stolen with this game in 2010 from my bag while I was at college. So I finally forced myself to replay the entire game (and doing puzzles you did even 5 years ago is painful). I'm glad it's over and the story end was sweet. I hope I can get into the third now without feeling anxiety.

Game 65: Joe Danger (Vita) - 6 Hours
(Started 9/2/14 / Finished 9/4//14)
I played the sequel last year and thought it was a neat idea, but the original gets boring very fast and it lasts seemingly forever. Not an enjoyable game to me.

Game 66: Knightmare Tower (PC) - 3 Hours
(Started & Finished 9/9/14)
This is an endless runner with an ending and it takes a different approach to it giving the player a lot more control without focusing on twitch reactions or instant loss. Very good game.

Game 67: Mega Man 2 Via The Wily Wars (Genesis) - 2 Hours
(Started & Finished 9/14/14)
Imagine Mega Man 2 looking better on the Genesis!

Game 68: Mega Man 3 Via The Wily Wars (Genesis) - 2 Hours
(Started & Finished 9/16/14)
Imagine Mega Man 3 where Hard Knuckle is useless!

Game 69: Mega Man Wily Tower Via The Wily Wars (Genesis) - 2 Hours
This was an interesting take on a mini Mega Man title but the bosses are pretty meh. Did like that you pick what equipment you want to take into stages from MM1-3

Game 70: Kid Klown in Crazy Chase (SNES) - An Hour
Had this as a kid, finally beat it. Not a great game but interesting.

Game 71: Capcom Fighting Evolution (PS2) - An Hour
(Started & Finished 9/17/14)
Boy this defines lazy copy and pasting. Do like that Karin from SFA3 is in the game and Alex from SF3!

Game 72: Kickle Cubicle (NES) - 6 Hours
(Started 2014 / Finished 9/19/14)
Used to hate these games as a kid but XBLA has kinda beat me into understanding these kinda puzzlers.

Game 73: Dragon Ball Z III - Ressen Jinzou Ningen (NES) - 4 Hours
(Started & Finished 9/28/14)
This is a weird one. Its a DBZ Card based turn based rpg that takes place between the end of the Namek Saga (after Frieza fight instead of during it like you'd guess) and the game ends after Piccolo first fights Imperfect Cell. Weird huh?

Game 74: South Park: The Stick of Truth (X360) - 60 Hours
I was very careful, took my time, looked around, used a guide and still missed a collectible. That pissed me off but the game itself was hilarious and a blast. A great game to anyone that is a fan of the show or a fan of how dumb society can get!

Original 52
OP

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I will join too!

Game 1: Metal Gear Solid - 10h29m
# I already have beat up this, but it has been 10 years since that, so I bought MGS Legacy Collection and gave another shot to remember the good pixelated times.

Game 2: Metal Gear Solid 3 - More than 20, less than 30.
# I played to search the entire map around the game, it was kinda boring, but still okay.

Game 3: Metal Gear Rising - about 8 hours
# I got this game in my birthday past year, but I have so much shit to play that I keep him on the shelf...

Game 4: Metal Gear Solid 4 - 14 hours
# I never finished this game from start to finish, so I finally did, it was awesome

Game 5: Ryse - 8 hours
# I played on my friend's Xbox only to see the beauty. It is gorgeous, but only gorgeous...

Game 6: Batman Arkham Asylum - 17 hours

Game 7: Batman Arkham City - 15 hours
# I got both for a cheap price, so I beat one and the other in the same week.

Game 8: MGS: Peace Walker - 10 hours
#I finished a lot of the Special Ops, but I have to say that PW is not that good.

Game 10: Bioshock Infinite - 8 hours (I guess)
I got on PC last year, but my PC broked and I forget about it. Then it was released on Plus and I remember again (duh)

Game 11: DmC - Devil May Cry reboot - 7 hours
A really good PS+ game.

Game 12: MGS V: Ground Zeroes - 5 to 6 hours.
# I played to get mostly A's, and two S's (laughs)

Game 13: Doom - 5 hours
# The first chapter I have only half an hour to beat, but the others, specially Thy Flesh Consumed, I got more than an hour. Not 100% thou.

Game 14: Doom 2 4 hours
# Just rushing for the most part...

Game 15: Doom 3 BFG Edition - about 13 hours
# The real game was like 8 hours, but the expansions was like 2.5 each.

Game 16: Tomb Raider - 8 hours
# A fine game. Beat in a weekend with 62% and never touched again.

Game 17: Banjo Kazooie - 30 hours
# I get lost all the time in this game, but still holds up for sure.

Game 18: Wario Land 3 - more than 10 hours, less than 20
# You can't die in this game, but it is hard as shit

Game 19: The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons 12 hours
# The best portable Zelda in my opinion.

I am about to finish Red Dead Redemption, Binary Domain, and Crysis 3. I'll probably won't make the 52 games...

Another completion!

Game #32: Rayman Legends (PC) - 16 hours (Completed)
Got all Diamonds and the gold Lum trophy thingies. If you liked Origins and didn't like this, you probably played the Wii U version. No auto-nonsense here. I did find it strange that about half of the game IS Origins, but since I didn't get to play that in HD I was okay with it. But those music stages!

Weiss

Banned
Game 40: Skies of Arcadia - 50 hours

I think what gets me the most about this game is that it's almost blindingly optimistic, but somehow manages to make that believable. All of the heroes are loveable rogues who never do any actual piracy, to the point where the whole profession of piracy has been split between bloodthirsty, pillaging pirates, and Blue Rogues, who specifically only attack the evil, oppressive Empire that seeks to conquer the world. Most of the characters you run across are erstwhile heroic types or disillusioned cynics who are almost immediately turned by Vyse, and the Empire itself has an almost fetishistic desire for power and control, which I think is a really awesome theme of the game. Vyse and the Blue Rogues are awed by the world around them, and are driven to explore basically only for the thrill of it, while the Empire, represented primarily by Teodora, Alfonso and Galcian, want power and control seemingly because the feel entitled to have it, and despite not having any sort of redeeming quality to them, which should make them into lame characters, they end up selling every scene they're in. The world of Skies feels like an actual world to explore, teaming with interesting and varied cultures, and a whole gameplay mechanic based on flying trying to find discoveries.

My only real problem with the story is that
Ramirez is a complete waste of a character, and Galcian should have had the Silvite backstory, or alternatively, give Galcian's role to Ramirez. He has too little impact on the plot, and his relation with Fina is too underdeveloped, for him to be an at all effective final boss.

I don't really have much to say about the gameplay, unfortunately. It's a by the numbers turned based system with boring as hell random battles, with boss fights that invariably became tank-focus-heal-special attack. The ship battles were infinitely more interesting and should have been used more, and they were all a lot cooler looking, with actual strategy and planning needed, and you had the epic fights against the Gigas.

It had a really dark narrative, and some great art. It's a point and click adventure which I've always found the puzzles frustrating in these types of games; however, some of the puzzles were extremely clever.
For example, there is a scenario with an angel that says the devil hid the key in a place where an angel cannot go. The solution is the key was hidden in the Divine Comedy in the section between the Inferno and Purgatory
I enjoyed it although I used a guide after the first scenario to avoid unforeseen deaths and to just enjoy the plot. If you're not going to use a guide make sure you save frequently as dying will send you back to the beginning of the scenario. There are 5 scenarios each one pretty creepy. I'd say go for it.

Nice, I'll give this ago after Dragon's Dogma & Final Fantasy 13s! Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom