• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei IV will come out on in [2014] in Europe, will cost 19.99

Status
Not open for further replies.

-GJ-

Date format confusion? Is that a joke? How is that even possible?

That doesn't make them based, especially with how they treat europe.

Well, you're right. I let my emotions get the best of me. Being that it wasn't actually delayed to november.

I apologize :'(.

Lernaean

Banned
I invite you to look back at the delays before Sega bought up Atlus.
The fastest was 3 months (which is somewhat acceptable), the longest (for those that got published here) 2 years (with added bugs, which is definitively Atlus' fault). All that with absolutely no localization of course, save for Nocturne/Lucifer's Call.

To me, it's a scandal that after more than ten years, Atlus still hasn't established a stable partnership with a PAL publisher to get fast releases. Heck, the releases were actually better on the PS2 than in the last 5 years. Which goes against the evolution in the entire video game branch, where even Gust games now get simultaneous US/PAL releases.

You still don't get it.
I've been an Atlus victim for many years, i do know they don't give a shit about Europe.
What i am saying is that now they are a subsidiary of Sega, a company that is a publisher and publishes in Europe, so whatever fuckup happens with Atlus games atm is because Sega has been unable to deal with their own game releases.

I invite you to look back at the delays before Sega bought up Atlus.

To me, it's a scandal that after more than ten years, Atlus still hasn't established a stable partnership with a PAL publisher to get fast releases. Heck, the releases were actually better on the PS2 than in the last 5 years. Which goes against the evolution in the entire video game branch, where even Gust games now get simultaneous US/PAL releases.

I got you a list right here.

Europe delays:
Etrian Odyssey IV: Feb '13 in US, August '13 in Europe.
Soul Hackers: April '13 in US, Sep '13 in Europe
Devil Survivor Overclocked: Aug '11 in US, March '13 in Europe. Also the EU release was broken, it needed a patch to be playable.
SMT: Devil Survivor 2: Feb '12 in US, Oct '13 in Europe. In Europe only available through Ghostlight webshop (and Amazon UK later on).
Code of Princess: Jan '12 in US, March '12 in Europe. Digital only in Europe.
Etrian Odyssey Untold: Oct '13 in US, May '14 in Europe
Catherine: July '11 in US, Feb '12 in Europe
Dragon's Crown: August '13 in US, Oct '13 in Europe
Persona 4 Arena: Aug '12 in US, May '13 in Europe. The infamous region locked game case!
SMT: Persona for PSP: Sep '09 in US, Aug '10 in Europe. Digital only in Europe
Persona 4 Golden: Nov '12 in US, Feb '13 in Europe
SMT: Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Soulless Army: Oct '06 in US, April '07 in Europe

US only releases:
SMT: Devil Survivor, SMT: Strange Journey, Radiant Historia, Etrian Odyssey 2, Etrian Odyssey 3, The Dark Spire, Aquapazza, Yggdra Union, Class of Heroes, SteamBot Chronicles, Crimson Gem Saga, Hexyz Force, Knights in the Knightmare, SMT: Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon

US only releases "for now":
Persona 5
Persona 4 Ultimax

The normal "cases":
Conception 2: 1-month delay.
3D Dot Game Heroes: same week release

Jisgsaw

You still don't get it.
I've been an Atlus victim for many years, i do know they don't give a shit about Europe.
What i am saying is that now they are a subsidiary of Sega, a company that is a publisher and publishes in Europe, so whatever fuckup happens with Atlus games atm is because Sega has been unable to deal with their own game releases.

How is this Sega's f*ck up, when the same happened to every single Atlus release?
As far as I know, Sega are letting Atlus pretty (if not completely) free of actions, I really don't see how this is their fault. Not to mention the publishing decisions for SMT 4 probably happened before Sega bought them up, which would make PQ the first "Sega Atlus" game, and that one will probably be the fastest localized Atlus game ever.

The normal "cases":

Atlus are only the US publisher for 3D Dot Game Hereos, aren't they?
Ceonception 2 is an interesting case that I didn't know of, considering they aint even nor own the developer nor published it in Japan, and still published themselves in PAL territories.

flohen95

Europe delays:
Devil Survivor Overclocked: Aug '11 in US, March '13 in Europe. Also the EU release was broken, it needed a patch to be playable.
SMT: Devil Survivor 2: Feb '12 in US, Oct '13 in Europe. In Europe only available through Ghostlight webshop (and Amazon UK later on).
Persona 4 Arena: Aug '12 in US, May '13 in Europe. The infamous region locked game case!
SMT: Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Soulless Army: Oct '06 in US, April '07 in Europe

US only releases:
SMT: Devil Survivor, SMT: Strange Journey, Radiant Historia, Etrian Odyssey 2, Etrian Odyssey 3, The Dark Spire, Aquapazza, Yggdra Union, Class of Heroes, SteamBot Chronicles, Crimson Gem Saga, Hexyz Force, Knights in the Knightmare, SMT: Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon

Persona 5
Persona 4 Ultimax

The normal "cases":

Conception 2 is digital only as well.

It's quite disgraceful, especially since there are still region locked consoles out there (thanks Nintendo -_-). But I don't see the situation changing anytime soon. Our only real hope is NISA, and even they treat Europe like shit when it comes to certain things (i.e. their now infamous European online store)

Exodist

Over reactions were quite funny!

Pretty obvious how an American would mess up a European date too.

There was that possibility of mixed dates sure, but considering how its September already and there's no confirmed date, along with the fact the game is already over a year late you have to understand why people just automatically assumed the worst. Regardless, if the game is coming out September 11th, this is pretty late to announce a date in the first place. I'd at least like to think they could have locked that down say mid-August.

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member

Europe delays:

US only releases:

Persona 5
Persona 4 Ultimax

The normal "cases":
At least Persona Q releases in Europe 3 days after the US release. Retail version also! (nov 25 -> nov 28)
Who knows what sorcery NISA used to make that happen.
Unless...

Lernaean

Banned
How is this Sega's f*ck up, when the same happened to every single Atlus release?
As far as I know, Sega are letting Atlus pretty (if not completely) free of actions, I really don't see how this is their fault. Not to mention the publishing decisions for SMT 4 probably happened before Sega bought them up, which would make PQ the first "Sega Atlus" game, and that one will probably be the fastest localized Atlus game ever.

And still you don't get it, when Atlus was Atlus we blamed Atlus.
Now that Atlus is Sega, we blame Sega. I don't ignore the previous mistakes, i just point out that the recent are for Sega to be blamed. If they were bought by Nintendo or Sony, i'd blame them, even though i doubt they'd be that incompetent.
And yes PQ is the fastest Atlus release in Europe, but not thanks to Sega, the parent company, but thanks to a third party publisher.

This, seriously. If the release date is correct, it's getting released next week. Why would you announce the actual release date of your game merely a week before the actual release?

Yeah, the fact that they haven't announced a concrete date yet even though we're already in September was what got people suspicious in the first place.
I'm still in the "I'll believe it when I'm playing it" camp regardless.

The picture changed!

0zViErX.jpg

So it was an error after all. Based Atlus.

I can't hold all these feels. Such a rollercoaster.

I really hope it was just an error.

Jisgsaw

And still you don't get it, when Atlus was Atlus we blamed Atlus.
Now that Atlus is Sega, we blame Sega. I don't ignore the previous mistakes, i just point out that the recent are for Sega to be blamed. If they were bought by Nintendo or Sony, i'd blame them, even though i doubt they'd be that incompetent.
And yes PQ is the fastest Atlus release in Europe, but not thanks to Sega, the parent company, but thanks to a third party publisher.

I totally get your point since your second response.
Still doesn't change that I don't see why Sega is to blame for a traditional Atlus handling, and a decision proabalb ymade before they were even buying Atlus.

And for PQ: don't you wonder why it's only after Sega baught them that we finely get a timely release? I'd hazard it's because Sega pushed them to work closer with PAL publisher (because yes, the developper still has things to do when another conpany is publishing their games over here, and Atlus history shows that they never did it properly).

This, seriously. If the release date is correct, it's getting released next week. Why would you announce the actual release date of your game merely a week before the actual release?

Temco Koei with Atelier Totori +, that literaly came to PSN without any form of anouncement.

Kain

Shit, and they went and got bought by Sega, kings of not releasing shit in the west. Atlus, I love their games and I love throwing money at them but I hate their localization decisions.

Aha. If they really fucked up the date by not knowing the European
and much more logical
date format, I might just not buy SMTIV out of principle. That and I just bought Strange Journey because of this entire November scare and kinda want to play it beforehand.

I wish Atlus would be nicer to Europe, I love a lot of their IPs and the 3DS is region locked.

kd-z

Oh man, I really hope it comes out on the 11th!!!

I'm much less hopeful than I make it sound :<

magnetic

That´s a relief!

I always found the day/month - month/day highly confusing as well, that´s why I try and always write "nov", "sept" and stuff like that whenever I can.

FirLocke

ATLUS PLEASE

I can't help but laugh now. This whole situation is so stupid. The one Atlus 3DS game I want to play is treated so badly it's beyond frustrating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom