• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM Confrontation - The thread (bringing back the REAL!)

xray49er

I tired the beta on saturday. this was my first socom ever and i was unimpressed. It took forever to get into a match. When i finally got in the game the framerate was all over the place where at times it would just stop for a second. The controls felt sluggish(My friend told me to go into options and mess with the sensitivity so this was not a big deal), but overall the game failed my family test. When my wife an son saw the game. they laughed and basically said what and why am i playing such an ugly game. i will give it another chance but this game just may not be my cup of tea.

xray49er said:
I tired the beta on saturday. this was my first socom ever and i was unimpressed. It took forever to get into a match. When i finally got in the game the framerate was all over the place where at times it would just stop for a second. The controls felt sluggish(My friend told me to go into options and mess with the sensitivity so this was not a big deal), but overall the game failed my family test. When my wife an son saw the game. they laughed and basically said what and why am i playing such an ugly game. i will give it another chance but this game just may not be my cup of tea.

While it's not the best looking game ever, it looks good, and of course there will be problems in beta...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Anyone else having problems with SCEE beta codes?

I got around to redeeming mine today, but I got an error saying "This code has already been redeemed the maximum number of times". Of course, this was my first time redeeming it, and of course, I didn't share it with anyone else.

Did they withdraw some codes for some reason?

The one thing I really hate is the zoom, why couldn't they just put L1 for the zoom and the dpad to quickly change the weapon? Or at least let me customize the controller options....

Also changing the weapons (not the quick change) is kind of awkward, I have to try a couple of times before I actually am able to select the new weapon and I've gotten killed because it takes so long.

Jagernaut

If anyone has an extra beta code, can you pm me? I used to be in the GAF Socom 2 clan, hopefully we can get a clan together for SOCOM Confrontation.

faust666

AranhaHunter said:
The one thing I really hate is the zoom, why couldn't they just put L1 for the zoom and the dpad to quickly change the weapon? Or at least let me customize the controller options....

They do. Go into controller layout in the options, choose custom, and you can swap any button for any other button.

GQman2121

Banned
gofreak said:
Anyone else having problems with SCEE beta codes?

I got around to redeeming mine today, but I got an error saying "This code has already been redeemed the maximum number of times". Of course, this was my first time redeeming it, and of course, I didn't share it with anyone else.

I had the same issue with my first voucher from GS. I was able to go back and get a second one and the site gave me the "watch your email for the beta code" message, but the code has yet to arrive.

They fucked up pretty bad with these codes, not to mention that the beta has huge flaws with the long loads and random crashes.

Fun games the other night Rapping Granny. Haha I kept sniping by the lions den tower and you kept sneaking up behind me with that F90. I caught you sneakin up a couple times though ;)

Oh I asked before but no one answered me. How do you get silencers on the bigger guns like the m4 m16 stg hk5 ect. ect. I try to put on silencers but it won't let me. Then sometimes I'll pick up a gun that's got a silencer and a scope. How do I get to put on silencers and scopes?

therapist

Been playing the beta lately.

Well , trying to i should say.

First off let me just say im no fanboy of any series , i love shooters and ill play whatever i think is good.

The motion controls work very well , thats a +.
Blowing up walls to get to new spots is really cool.
Gun customization is also well done.

As for the minuses , lol..

The graphics are pretty weak , the levels themselves aint bad , heat effects are a nice touch. Some parts the textures are really sad , and the character models are freaking pathetic.

The animation is god awful , its almost exactly like the ps2 games where it looks like people are always dragging their feet running around.

Hit detection seems pretty off , i burst fire with single shot or with automatic , with the same results. That could just be me so i'll let that slide.

The load times are unbearable though.

I've been in Bad company , Cod4 and red faction betas lately , each one was an almost exact copy of the retail version , since socom is only coming in a month im assuming not much is going to change. (red faction had some disconnect problems , but was quickly fixed). This needs much work imo.

Its also incredibly glitchy , sometimes ill go into a match , and hit respawn too quickly , and instead of spawning ill be stuck in spectator mode until i quit and go back in , which doesn't sound all that bad , until you factor in that it literally takes 5 minutes at the least to get into a game. It freezes my ps3 sometimes , gotta manually reset it , only had that once and it was the first time i played motorstorm (launch ps3).

Also , i see everyone saying how this game is so realistic and blah blah blah.
I say MEH to you , sir. Any game where you can swing the camera around a corner without actually poking your head or being AROUND the corner is freaking dumb. Ive played socom 2 quite a bit , and its the same deal , people just sit around corners waiting for people , you can't see them , but they can see you. Lame.

The guns don't seem terribly well-balanced and some of them just seem off.
For example , the grenade launcher seems incredibly weak , you have to basically direct impact the guy to kill him.

If they fix all the glitches and horrible load times i might pick it up , the headset is quite tempting.

From a shooter fan's perspective , this game ,far as the beta goes, really just isn't that great at all.

My 2 cents for those wondering what the game play is like.

dralla

whenever I try and play on my SDTV the game goes crazy, sound drops out, framerate drops to 10 or so, ect. but when I play on my HDTV it runs fine. wtf :[

xero273

Patch 1.30 tomorrow at at 12:00 GMT/UTC (8am EDT, 5am PDT, 1pm BST, 9pm JST/KST).

• Abnormally long network synchronization issues when some users in a game have a poor network connection. This issue causes 4-7 minute (or longer) load times when late joining a game.
  • Fixed an issue where respawn game late joiners were sometimes stuck in spectator mode and could not respawn into the game.
  • Removed the latency detection network test which was causing some users with poor network connections to receive the network latency icon (red X).
  • Fixed an issue where clients with different client versions (patches) could play together in a default medley game.
  • Fixed an issue where if the session master leaves the game, late joiners could not "green up" and late join into the game.
  • Fixed corrupt characters in the European and Japanese EULAs and Server News.
  • Fixed many join game issues and made joining a game quicker. We are still optimizing this.
  • Fixed an issue where if you add and then remove someone from your block list they were still unable to send you a message.
  • Improved accuracy while moving (based on user feedback). Partial implementation. More improvements to come.
  • Reduced the encumbrance penalty (based on user feedback).
  • Changed the default round time for Medley games from 8 minutes to 6 minutes (based on user feedback).

More at the link

http://socom.us.playstation.com/post/2008/09/SOCOM-Confrontation-Public-Beta-130-Patch-Incoming.aspx

____

Anybody else need a beta code?

I have an extra. Sony FINALLY contacted me about my code. Not sure if it's the Qore code or the Pre-order code, but I think it's the pre-order code, so if you use it..you can share it with 2 other people.

First PM gets it.

annnnnd its gone.

InterMoniker said:
Fun games the other night Rapping Granny. Haha I kept sniping by the lions den tower and you kept sneaking up behind me with that F90. I caught you sneakin up a couple times though ;)

:lol your CaliChronz? that makes so much sense now. WOW

anyways the update helped out alot, the maps load 1-2 minutes for me and the menu is much smoother and less lag all around.

dork

Banned
Ok i need to play with Gaffers. I hate the community on this game so bad from only 2 games.

People think they are gods gift to the world.

I have only played like 2-3 games, still getting the hang of it. We were playing supression or whatever.

They were bitching at me because the first round I didn't get a kill, but we won. The second round they were still complaining i didnt know what i was doing. Yet i hadnt died yet and was looking for the enemy

3rd round i got a kill and didnt die. then they kicked me...ridiculous

-now i just got 2 kills in a ranked match in a row. I'm awesome

xero273

Rapping Granny said:
:lol your CaliChronz? that makes so much sense now. WOW

anyways the update helped out alot, the maps load 1-2 minutes for me and the menu is much smoother and less lag all around.

I read from Sony forums that accuracy has increased. Is this true?

Also, apparently the stats for socom works now.

dralla

pretty big patch, I wonder how big the full game is going to be

^^I don't think the accuracy needed to be fixed, I think the recoil is too much, especially for AR's. SMG's feel pretty good though, and fire much faster

dork said:
Ok i need to play with Gaffers. I hate the community on this game so bad from only 2 games.

People think they are gods gift to the world.

I have only played like 2-3 games, still getting the hang of it. We were playing supression or whatever.

They were bitching at me because the first round I didn't get a kill, but we won. The second round they were still complaining i didnt know what i was doing. Yet i hadnt died yet and was looking for the enemy

3rd round i got a kill and didnt die. then they kicked me...ridiculous

-now i just got 2 kills in a ranked match in a row. I'm awesome

A group of americans kicked me from a game on the EU servers for not being american. :|

dork

Banned
BadlyCookedTurkey said:
A group of americans kicked me from a game on the EU servers for not being american. :|

I believe it. I wouldnt be surprised if I got kicked out of a game for not speaking like this "sup dawg" "wutup mang"

tuco11

Is there any way to find your friends during the game? Still haven't found it. Even Socom 2 told me what server and room they were in :lol

AndresON777

shooting blanks
BadlyCookedTurkey said:

Mccain voters no doubt.

I've had the beta for a few days but have not had much luck connecting, I hope that patch works out well...although I'm buying the game anyway just for the mic, my old moto sucks on psn.

GodofWine

I was on my honeymoon for the last 8 days, came back to the 1.10 update, the night time maps were cool, hides a lot of the graphical flaws too ;)

I find the game to be quite good overall, its delivers on gameplay so far. Still not sure I'll buy it though.

ecnal

how long does it take to get into a game?

i've joined a game, the game started, and i've been sitting at this loading screen for like 5 minutes...

it's happened all 3 times i've tried to join games.

dralla

If you press the PS button and you're still logged in, the game is just loading..if it signs you out it means it froze. Some games take 5 minutes or so to load, I just joined a game in about 1 minute.

dralla

wow, so that's how you throw grenades overhand! tilting the sixaxix back.

and why the heck does the quick select always switch on me? I always have it set to grenades, but sometimes it'll go to the pistol. soo annoying :[

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
So I tried a few games. Worked perfectly, no glitches whatsoever. People were talking on the mic very clearly. Just one problem. I had no idea what was going on and was getting my ass handed to me nonstop. I could at least hold my own in MGO, but SOCOM just isn't for me.

InterMoniker said:
How did you get the silencers on the assualt rifles???

When you come to select your attachments, click left or right to switch from scopes or anything else until you get to supressors.

:0 I just figured out if you tilt the sixaxis down he ducks and puts his head down.

dralla said:
select the attachments all the way on the right and add them.
Rapping Granny said:
When you come to select your attachments, click left or right to switch from scopes or anything else until you get to supressors.

:0 I just figured out if you tilt the sixaxis down he ducks and puts his head down.
Ahhhhh thank you guys :D

If you want to play later rapping granny just message me on psn.

zedge

WTF.. seriouisly..

After installing the so called patch this morning...

Joined a game 15/16 players.. was a bit faster loading, not much... get in the game.. same shit all over... 10 fps choppy and laggy as shit.. then the sound promptly cuts out.. I quit the game in utter disgust, it freezes the PS3..

Hay Slant Six.. Your doing it wrong! :lol

just got done doing my marathon for the day, played about 30+ rounds and everything ran perfect for me.The last patch had already shortened my loads times to no more than 3 mins but after todays update, it takes no longer than 45 secs to get into any games even with 25+ people on a match.

This is definitely gonna be a day 1 for me, it was pretty bad at first but now its running even better than cod4 for me:D.

Installed patch, but game just locked up on me in my second game. :\

Need to test joining a large player server and see if it still shits on me like before the patch.

At least, so far, I'm not getting those fucking arrows and retarded amounts of lag. Although I did merc two bitches and I didn't get credit on the scoreboard until about 30 seconds after the fact. :p

Well just joined a 32 player map, took forever to load. Was at the part of the game where you're about to run out of your spawn for about three minutes while the screen was dimmed, I could rotate the camera and see the names. Once it loaded my controls were non-responsive and then I ended up getting booted back to the title screen and off of PSN. God damn this shit is rough. :\

dralla

zedge said:
WTF.. seriouisly..

Joined a game 15/16 players.. was a bit faster loading, not much... get in the game.. same shit all over... 10 fps choppy and laggy as shit.. then the sound promptly cuts out.. I quit the game in utter disgust, it freezes the PS3..

Are you playing on a SDTV?

peetfeet

zedge said:
WTF.. seriouisly..

Same for me (on a HD telly if that makes a difference), guess i'm waiting for another patch! Damn thing ran fine before these patches :-( (albeit slow loading)

Top Bottom