• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM Confrontation - The thread (bringing back the REAL!)

after 9 pm a hour after they said the invites would go out and still don't have mine.

Just to be sure the email they are using is the one tied to your PSN account correct?

Nightz

Got my Qore beta code, but I already got in through the Gamestop pre-order, so here it is for anyone to use. First come, first served!

B29K-2JB9-HQP9 Enjoy!

So been trying to play the beta for the last 30 mintues...key word here is trying because...

It takes almost 3-5 minutes to even start the actual game once past the lobby!

Is this normal?

xero273

AgentOtaku said:
So been trying to play the beta for the last 30 mintues...key word here is trying because...

It takes almost 3-5 minutes to even start the actual game once past the lobby!

Is this normal?

Yes. Supposedly, next patch is suppose to fix this. I think this addresses the loading issue.

Abnormally long network synchronization issues when some users in a game have a poor network connection. This issue causes 4-7 minute (or longer) load times when late joining a game.

From socom.com

carlos

hmmm...no sound at all while playing, and sub 20fps all the time as well (unplayable, especially since when other people showed up on screen it went to around 10fps, making it impossible to aim)....

I assume this is because of lag? or high traffic issues? or because its a beta :( ?

Someone kindly gave me a beta code today and I have a question. I couldn't download it with my main account (Australian) but it worked with my US account. Will I be able to play it with my main account or will I have to use the US one?

Just downloaded the demo and I like what I've played so far. I've very critical when it comes to framerate problems and I haven't seen anything much to complain about. Subtle tearing here and there but you have to look for it. I'm not sure how to describe the effect, HDR or bloom or whatever but everything in the one level I've played looks too bright in the open and needs to be toned down. I hope they improve the look of the weapons in the final version as well.

I really wasn't expecting anything graphically from this but I'm impressed as I can see with a bit of polish a lot of potential with the visuals. For the most part the textures and enviroments look great.

As someone who's only played a tiny bit of single player Socom 1 what is about past Socoms that players love about them and what will this game need to do to draw in players especially those playing COD4? What's the hook?

cameltoe

carlos said:
hmmm...no sound at all while playing, and sub 20fps all the time as well (unplayable, especially since when other people showed up on screen it went to around 10fps, making it impossible to aim)....

I assume this is because of lag? or high traffic issues? or because its a beta :( ?

I have not had any of these issues..

kevm3

From what I've played, I'm unimpressed. I tried hard to go in and like the game, but there's some hindrances to that.

I do like the level of customization. You're able to put two attachments to your weapons, customize the looks of your guy, change the color of your camo for different sorts of maps, for example, urban, desert and night time. The actual movement and feel of the game is decent, but a bit slow for my liking.

Now, the problem is this really doesn't reek of a game coming out soon. I got sound the first match. After that, no sound. The levels are way too massive. I was playinng a match with 16 people total, and the stage felt like it should accomodate 64 or so. I hardly ever encountered the enemy. This made it hard for me to get into the flow of the game. I was just running out checking out the scenery for the most part. As large as the stages are, the movement speed didn't really help. They got to make the stages smaller. The actual gun battles were decent.

The menu systems are really choppy and laggy. It also takes forever to get into a game. I'm sitting there waiting 5 or more minutes to load. I really don't see how this game is supposed to come out in a month. It has potential, but right now, its very, very unpolished. You'll see once you play.

This game SERIOUSLY needs an autocountdown in the lobby, because it sucks having to wait 5 minutes to start a match because some idiots won't hit the go button. I don't care if it's Socom tradition orwhatever, but there should be a 1 or 2 minute limit. This really sucks not being able to get into amatch because some idiots can't hit the start button.

cameltoe

kevm3 said:
From what I've played, I'm unimpressed. I tried hard to go in and like the game, but there's some hindrances to that.

I do like the level of customization. You're able to put two attachments to your weapons, customize the looks of your guy, change the color of your camo for different sorts of maps, for example, urban, desert and night time. The actual movement and feel of the game is decent, but a bit slow for my liking.

Now, the problem is this really doesn't reek of a game coming out soon. I got sound the first match. After that, no sound. The levels are way too massive. I was playinng a match with 16 people total, and the stage felt like it should accomodate 64 or so. I hardly ever encountered the enemy. This made it hard for me to get into the flow of the game. I was just running out checking out the scenery for the most part. As large as the stages are, the movement speed didn't really help. They got to make the stages smaller. The actual gun battles were decent.

The menu systems are really choppy and laggy. It also takes forever to get into a game. I'm sitting there waiting 5 or more minutes to load. I really don't see how this game is supposed to come out in a month. It has potential, but right now, its very, very unpolished. You'll see once you play.

This game SERIOUSLY needs an autocountdown in the lobby, because it sucks having to wait 5 minutes to start a match because some idiots won't hit the go button. I don't care if it's Socom tradition orwhatever, but there should be a 1 or 2 minute limit. This really sucks not being able to get into amatch because some idiots can't hit the start button.

The menu lag will be resolved as will the wait time...its all due to server load..../6 is working on a patch and it should be released soon.

The levels are scalable 16-32 players...you were probably on a 32 man server with only 16 people playing.

kevm3

cameltoe said:
The menu lag will be resolved as will the wait time...its all due to server load..../6 is working on a patch and it should be released soon.

The levels are scalable 16-32 players...you were probably on a 32 man server with only 16 people playing.

It's probably due to server load and lag as well, but the framerate at times was attrocious. I'm talking 5 fps, 10 fps here. Slideshow material... The game has potential, but they have to fix some things up. They really need to pare down the size of the levels a bit

tuco11

Has Slant 6 done anything in the past that shows they can do rock solid netcode? Just wondering.

Oh yeah, I still have yet to successfully join a game with more than 20 players in it :lol

UGH...what a buggy POS game at this point. Between the long loads and the frame rate jumping all over...not feeling it at all. It has frozen my PS3 three times too....

Hopefully they get it together real soon...

Seriously, the frame chop is so bad in a game where seconds matter that it's pretty inexcusable that you can sometimes overshoot the direction you're aiming for because of the chop.

I also agree on lobby auto countdown. Waiting for every fuckig retard on the Internet to agree on something is a waste of my time.

And why in te age of analogue game controls do I need a run button? Better yet, a run button that is also assigned to melee attack so that you will get TK'd at the spawn as the guy next to you knifes your ass by accident so he can start running. :\ There are 14 fucking butons on the PS3 controller - why is there button overlap / multifunctions?!

This game is inexcuseably rough, and really will get obliterated by Resistance / Killzone / Warhawk. It's a new generation, and Zipper / Slant 6 is no longer the only company providing an online experience for Sony's console. These guys need to step up their game or get left in the dust.

Assuming Zipper is overseeing and approving this game does not bode well for MAG. :lol

Still haven't been sent my Qore beta code. But I've gotten another one. And not to pile on but man this is terrible. Halo 3 beta was months before release and played solid so did the COD4 beta.

Sony needs to come out now and just announce a delay for this no way in hell will this be functional next month. And not only is the technical performance bad. Some of the gameplay issues are terrible as well.

Like a previous poster said Socom isn't the only game in town on the Playstation this gen. Why play this when you can get GRAW 2 on the PS3 for cheap is inexusable.

I will still day 1 it though for the blue tooth headset alone. Might as well get a extra game this'll be my PS3 version of Wii play:D

Drunkenthumbmaster said:
Still haven't been sent my Qore beta code. But I've gotten another one. And not to pile on but man this is terrible. Halo 3 beta was months before release and played solid so did the COD4 beta.

Sony needs to come out now and just announce a delay for this no way in hell will this be functional next month. And not only is the technical performance bad. Some of the gameplay issues are terrible as well.

Like a previous poster said Socom isn't the only game in town on the Playstation this gen. Why play this when you can get GRAW 2 on the PS3 for cheap is inexusable.

I will still day 1 it though for the blue tooth headset alone. Might as well get a extra game this'll be my PS3 version of Wii play:D
Not sure about Halo 3 beta, although I bet it was the same, but CoD4 beta was more of a publicity stunt then a beta.

Metalmurphy said:
Not sure about Halo 3 beta, although I bet it was the same, but CoD4 beta was more of a publicity stunt then a beta.

Maybe, that would kind of make sense. Especially for COD4. Halo 3 though everybody bitched about the graphics so bad I don't know.

teepo said:
the next patch better bring a miracle or this game will be DOA.

I hope it doesn't. SOCOM has always been a middling quality series, and now that much more polished products are out there it will be best for this terrible franchise to go the way of the Dodo Bird.

Look for SOCOM Confrontation in a bargain bin near you soon!

Franchise suicide am total! :lol

The Take Out Bandit said:
Seriously, the frame chop is so bad in a game where seconds matter that it's pretty inexcusable that you can sometimes overshoot the direction you're aiming for because of the chop.

I also agree on lobby auto countdown. Waiting for every fuckig retard on the Internet to agree on something is a waste of my time.

And why in te age of analogue game controls do I need a run button? Better yet, a run button that is also assigned to melee attack so that you will get TK'd at the spawn as the guy next to you knifes your ass by accident so he can start running. :\ There are 14 fucking butons on the PS3 controller - why is there button overlap / multifunctions?!

This game is inexcuseably rough, and really will get obliterated by Resistance / Killzone / Warhawk. It's a new generation, and Zipper / Slant 6 is no longer the only company providing an online experience for Sony's console. These guys need to step up their game or get left in the dust.

Assuming Zipper is overseeing and approving this game does not bode well for MAG. :lol

i didnt know there was control scheme that had run and knife on the same button?

also alot of people dont seem to get that none of the frame drops are due to the engine not being able to handle the action, whenever there is lots of lag the game drops frames like crazy. usually its cause you joined a 32 player server on someones crap connection,most people that host CANNOT handle 32 players so of course its going to lag.

different games deal with lag in different ways, some just make u teleport around,some drops frames, etc...

its hilarious to hear about people complaining about a beta having problems, i guess its due to all the publicity "betas" that we have had so far.:lol

aj2good4you2 said:
i didnt know there was control scheme that had run and knife on the same button?

also alot of people dont seem to get that none of the frame drops are due to the engine not being able to handle the action, whenever there is lots of lag the game drops frames like crazy. usually its cause you joined a 32 player server on someones crap connection,most people that host CANNOT handle 32 players so of course its going to lag.

different games deal with lag in different ways, some just make u teleport around,some drops frames, etc...

its hilarious to hear about people complaining about a beta having problems, i guess its due to all the publicity "betas" that we have had so far.:lol

Or Slant 6/Zipper could not permit folks with shitty connections to host games beyond their paltry bandwidth limitations like Warhawk.

Stop apologizing for crap game design.

The Take Out Bandit said:
Or Slant 6/Zipper could not permit folks with shitty connections to host games beyond their paltry bandwidth limitations like Warhawk.

Stop apologizing for crap game design.

Of course it would be better for it to limited but right now in the "beta" thats the way it is. Thats why i dont join any p2p servers over 16 players because its quite obvious to me that hardly anyone can handle it. so why would i sit here and complain about it whens its my fault i joined a "shit" game.

im all for complaining but at least complain about the "correct" things:D

Lag is awful, near game breaking.

I have been killed by a guy who I killed and has gone through his dying animation.

Pressed reload, three seconds later I reload during the middle of a firefight.

Also this bullshit character proximity/ surroundings shit is for the birds. Meaning if I'm standing by a railing and trying to switch to my scope, there's a NO symbol, implying my super badass commando/mercenary cannot HOLD HIS GUN OVER A RAILING.

I'm also always fighting the controls with the scope, night vision, etc. Why can't I run with nightvision? Last I checked we had headsets that are HANDS FREE. Why does it keep fucking getting switched off?

I preferred the old SOCOM method of switching to FPS for night vision.

kevm3

I actually got into a good game today... Figures that when I start having a good game, my power cuts off.

I think one of the biggest problems with this game is that it feels a bit dated. Going from it back to COD4 is crazy. The difference is astounding. I go back to COD 4 and say, hey this feels so smooth.

I think they made a mistake in 'catering to the Socom 2' fans. Those guys were going tocomplain anyways if the game was anything other than Socom 2 with a better graphical overlay. They need to work on making thegame feel smoother. I guess alot of this has to do with the framerate though.

The one thing Socom has going for it is that it doesn't feel cheap. COD has TONS of moments that if you're lagging, you feel youkilled someone first, but somehow they kill you. I didn't get much ofthat with Socom YET>

Stat tracking refuses to work for me.

I cannot join ANY 32 player ranked games.

I get booted constantly.

Or booted from game and kicked from PSN.

Once the game just ended by itself. As if I selected Quit Game from the PS button menu.

Also poo poo on not being able to filter by ranked and unranked servers.

Top Bottom