• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM Confrontation - The thread (bringing back the REAL!)

dralla

tried to capture some stuff but couldn't get much because of some difficulties. did manage to get myself out of a bad situation, the OTS camera works a bit better when using 4:3.

2ibysqu.gif

kevm3 said:
I actually got into a good game today... Figures that when I start having a good game, my power cuts off.

I think one of the biggest problems with this game is that it feels a bit dated. Going from it back to COD4 is crazy. The difference is astounding. I go back to COD 4 and say, hey this feels so smooth.

I think they made a mistake in 'catering to the Socom 2' fans. Those guys were going tocomplain anyways if the game was anything other than Socom 2 with a better graphical overlay. They need to work on making thegame feel smoother. I guess alot of this has to do with the framerate though.

The one thing Socom has going for it is that it doesn't feel cheap. COD has TONS of moments that if you're lagging, you feel youkilled someone first, but somehow they kill you. I didn't get much ofthat with Socom YET>

To put in bluntly I'm a framerate whore (hate that term) and the framerate for me has been very solid. I think most of the drops are because of lag not because of the engine. The textures and detail are better than COD4.

mr stroke

The Take Out Bandit said:
Or Slant 6/Zipper could not permit folks with shitty connections to host games beyond their paltry bandwidth limitations like Warhawk.

Stop apologizing for crap game design.

I would argue its not the game design becuase the game when it works is rock solid and IMO much better than COD4 or Halo, apples and oranges really, but thats what has made Socom a different experience than anything else. I will give Slant Six the benifit of the doubt here because its a "beta", but if the final game is anything like this and not butter smooth, then Slant Six has failed the Sony/Socom fanbase.

mr stroke said:
I would argue its not the game design becuase the game when it works is rock solid and IMO much better than COD4 or Halo, apples and oranges really, but thats what has made Socom a different experience than anything else. I will give Slant Six the benifit of the doubt here because its a "beta", but if the final game is anything like this and not butter smooth, then Slant Six has failed the Sony/Socom fanbase.

True. If the glitches etc are sorted out this could be a must buy. It's hard to know what to make of betas though because you don't if they really are betas in the true sense of the word.

Bearillusion said:
The textures and detail are better than COD4.

I am sorry, what?

I love this game and it's addicting as hell for me but this game does NOT LOOK BETTER than COD4, the lighting is non existent in here, the chracter model look like COD2, the first time I played I stood there waiting for the textures to load up on the character's back like GeOW but it never happened, I was like WTF, plus the game's framerate is all over the place.

The only thing I was impressed by the presentation of the game was the sound (better than MGS4) and the smoke( K2 level)

I hope this gets pushed to December so it can get some polish, Sony needs to send some of their ninjas to Slant Six, maybe some people from Sony Bend or Naughty Dog (texture gods)

Now, who's up for a game, I haven't played with Gaf yet, any rooms?

kevm3

I've only played a bit of SOCOM 2, and that was well after it came out, actually after I played SOCOM 3. I played a good bit of SOCOM 3 online. Would anyone describe to me what is the unique factor about the SOCOM experience that distinguishes it from other games? Right now I prefer COD 4 over what I played over Confrontations. But if Confrontations 'lived up to the SOCOM hype,' what about it would distinguish it from a game such as COD 4?

Rapping Granny said:
I am sorry, what?

I love this game and it's addicting as hell for me but this game does NOT LOOK BETTER than COD4, the lighting is non existent in here, the chracter model look like COD2, the first time I played I stood there waiting for the textures to load up on the character's back like GeOW but it never happened, I was like WTF, plus the game's framerate is all over the place.

The only thing I was impressed by the presentation of the game was the sound (better than MGS4) and the smoke( K2 level)

I hope this gets pushed to December so it can get some polish, Sony needs to send some of their ninjas to Slant Six, maybe some people from Sony Bend or Naughty Dog (texture gods)

Now, who's up for a game, I haven't played with Gaf yet, any rooms?

COD4 does look way better overall but thats due the different effects and lighting used.Socom does have better textures and is definitely alot more "clean". crossroads at night is beautiful, during the day the lighting is just average i agree. but no one was arguing that socom looks better overall and the framerate is a rock solid 30fps when there isnt any lag.

Man, the netcode in this game is just soooo bad!

I cannot join any games over 12-16 players. What the fuck man?

Is there a BETA board to report problems?

This is such bullshit, especially compared to Warhawk - which IMO is the golden standard for features / stability on the PS3. I've read good things about Resistance online, but that's not my cup of tea. :\

Literally, going on 20 minutes trying to get into a fucking game here.

20 minutes!

I just got done downloading and installing the beta, haven't played a game yet as I spend a good amount of time customizing my characters.

Why is it that it's pretty fast to customize the face and the body camouflage but when it comes time to customize the weapons it's slow as hell? I already hope that that's fixed in the final version of the game. Also if I want to cancel something I should be able to just press "O" like every other game.

Man, the netcode in this game is just soooo bad!

I cannot join any games over 12-16 players. What the fuck man?

Is there a BETA board to report problems?

This is such bullshit, especially compared to Warhawk - which IMO is the golden standard for features / stability on the PS3. I've read good things about Resistance online, but that's not my cup of tea. :\

Literally, going on 20 minutes trying to get into a fucking game here.

20 minutes!

Warhawk had a crapload of problems in the beginning, including people not getting awarded for their statistics and stuff like that, but I agree, right now Warhawk is butter smooth and I'll probably still be playing it 2 years from now.

And I would like to know where I can report problems to as well.....

AranhaHunter said:
Warhawk had a crapload of problems in the beginning, including people not getting awarded for their statistics and stuff like that, but I agree, right now Warhawk is butter smooth and I'll probably still be playing it 2 years from now.

And I would like to know where I can report problems to as well.....

Warhawk had no issues this bad with regards to SIMPLY GETTING INTO A GAME AND FUCKING PLAYING A MATCH!

I don't give a fuck about stat tracking and rank issues. I want a god damn stable game I can play online, and this BETA is THE WORST I've ever experienced. It's unplayable in the state it is currently in.

Unreal on the Dreamcast via a 56k modem was more stable and less lag-tastic than this fucking beta.

I'm not touching this piece of shit until the next patch comes out. It's a huge waste of my time even attempting to play a game with the disconnect / booting problems.

Goes and loads Warhawk to fucking shoot things!

Warhawk had no issues this bad with regards to SIMPLY GETTING INTO A GAME AND FUCKING PLAYING A MATCH!

Fine, I'll give you that, but CoD 4 had terrible issues to get into a game.....in the retail version of the game.

I'll play SOCOM tomorrow and see if it's as bad as you say it is, hopefully not lol.

AranhaHunter said:
Fine, I'll give you that, but CoD 4 had terrible issues to get into a game.....in the retail version of the game.

Good thing I don't play shitty games. :D

I'll play SOCOM tomorrow and see if it's as bad as you say it is, hopefully not lol.

Good luck!

I've had my share of frustration.

Waiting on the next patch. Can't have buggy shit distracting me from Warhawk.

Ramirez said:
I've had zero problems getting into matches...the game doesn't run very smoothly though, definitely fun however.

I'm getting constant left/right arrows with a red X over them in the top center of the screen. The game completely locks up at this point, and I'll either get shot in the face while the game is sorting out it's business; or booted from the server.

Ramirez

I'm getting constant left/right arrows with a red X over them in the top center of the screen. The game completely locks up at this point, and I'll either get shot in the face while the game is sorting out it's business; or booted from the server.

I did have that happen in one of my games, and like you said, some guy headshot me while I couldn't move. :lol

happens to me too sometimes but slant 6 is already addressing that bug in the next patch. turns out its some kind of ingame speedtest that checks if ur connection is good enough but it doesnt always work properly so it causes that red X.

Ramirez said:
I've had zero problems getting into matches...the game doesn't run very smoothly though, definitely fun however.

I'm playing on the aussie servers and getting into games fairly quickly with hardly any framerate problems. Fingers crossed that they sort out ALL the issues before release as it isn't anywhere near ready.

aj2good4you2 said:
happens to me too sometimes but slant 6 is already addressing that bug in the next patch. turns out its some kind of ingame speedtest that checks if ur connection is good enough but it doesnt always work properly so it causes that red X.

Seems like a good idea to wait for the patch in my case then. :\

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Bearillusion said:
To put in bluntly I'm a framerate whore (hate that term) and the framerate for me has been very solid. I think most of the drops are because of lag not because of the engine. The textures and detail are better than COD4.

Wat? Frame rate is sub-30. Textures are AT MOST on par with COD4 (but COD4 runs at 60fps). No graphics whore can seriously be pleased with how Confrontation runs and looks. It's just unacceptable for such a big franchise being developed exclusively on the PS3. I don't care if Slant 6 is a little, inexperienced developer. Sony decided to put the game in their hands. Not my problem.

Let me remind you how one of the latest 30fps multiplatform shooters runs and looks on the PS3.
http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=JSBs9Ms_XHM
http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=q-dWCJFtrms&feature=related

I do enjoy playing Confrontation (despite its beta-state issues), but looking at it makes me cry inside. Too bad it has the best sound I've ever heard in a shooter. It sounds too good for what it looks.

I think you'll find the framerate issues are mostly connection related. At least that would explain why I'm not experiencing the sub 20fps that many are reporting. The game needs a lot of polish but it's running well most of the time for me. For a beta.

When I say detail in relation to COD4 for example compare the cars on the street to the cars in COD4.

TTP said:
Wat? Frame rate is sub-30. Textures are AT MOST on par with COD4 (but COD4 runs at 60fps). No graphics whore can seriously be pleased with how Confrontation runs and looks. It's just unacceptable for such a big franchise being developer exclusively on the PS3. I don't care if Slant 6 is a little, inexperienced developer. Sony decided to put the game in their hands. Not my problem.

Let me remind you how one of the latest 30fps multiplatform shooters runs and looks on the PS3.
http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=JSBs9Ms_XHM
http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=q-dWCJFtrms&feature=related

I do enjoy playing Confrontation (despite its beta-state issues), but looking at it makes me cry inside. Too bad it has the best sound I've ever heard in a shooter. It sounds too good for what it looks.

i agree the sound lets me know exactly where someone is even if im just using my tv speakers.:D

also i consider myself a very big graphics whore, and while at first i didnt like all the jaggies, ive grown used to them. but overall im quite pleased with the graphics as they are very very clear and i guess "sharp" looking which is hard to get these days when most games have some type of blur being used.

Cartman86

Banned
Framerate is better than the previous Socom's by far, and thats all I care about. The only time the framerate drops is when it literally freezes for a second (no way that will make it into final game), or the lag glitch where it runs at a contstant 5 fps (yes 5) then my sound goes out and I have to wait for the team switch before it runs smooth. Not a error that will be in the final version.

So much hate for a BETA... Never change GAF :p

IMO the only thing they need to fix is the HDR and the character textures. I'm fine with the framerate.

PuMa

[/b]

I don't know what Warhawk beta you were in, but the one I played was 10 times worse than this one. Most of the room gave a join error, and when you finally were abl to join a game, it would hard freeze within minutes.

I really hope Sony hears the out cry for the graphics and performance and actually send some people to polish the game up, this is ridicolous, it's a an exclusive PS3 game.

Oni Jazar

I got the code and played on a good server with good people (who used headsets!) but honestly the gameplay feels extremely dated. The menu system was slow and awkward; joining a game was cumbersome; the graphics are extremely sub par, sound was meh; was difficult to switch weapons (like C4). It feels like the multiplayer was "added-on" even though the game is online only!

If you're going to have a game that is simple like this you need to be slick as hell. Quick to play, easy to group, and give us something NEW! There's nothing (that I saw) in Confrontation that was interesting.

JB1981

I don't give a fuck about stat tracking and rank issues. I want a god damn stable game I can play online, and this BETA is THE WORST I've ever experienced. It's unplayable in the state it is currently in.

Unreal on the Dreamcast via a 56k modem was more stable and less lag-tastic than this fucking beta.

I'm not touching this piece of shit until the next patch comes out. It's a huge waste of my time even attempting to play a game with the disconnect / booting problems.

Goes and loads Warhawk to fucking shoot things!

Dude, the Freezehawk beta was a disaster. I have actually played at least 2 dozen matches in this beta without the issues you describe. You are such a drama queen.

With a little polish (maybe another texture pass, please? and lighting tweaks) I'd be perfectly fine with how the game looks. The framerate on a good connection is fine. Much better than MGO, which stutters like a bitch, at times.

Metalmurphy said:
So much hate for a BETA... Never change GAF :p

IMO the only thing they need to fix is the HDR and the character textures. I'm fine with the framerate.
Yeah the hdr is a little too intense right now. When going from light to dark the dark areas are really dark,. Then when you go from a dark or shaded area to a light area everything is almost completely white at first.

The character models could be a little more detailed but there not all that bad.

What I think is really missing graphically is good shadowing. I.E. The shadows in cod4 are way more detailed and that game runs at 60fps.

I'm really enjoying the gameplay though it's amazing. Everyone is on the same level no cheap perks like in call of duty where you can have stopping power, more health (juggernaut) last stand martydom ect ect...
JB1981 said:
Dude, the Freezehawk beta was a disaster. I have actually played at least 2 dozen matches in this beta without the issues you describe. You are such a drama queen.

With a little polish (maybe another texture pass, please? and lighting tweaks) I'd be perfectly fine with how the game looks. The framerate on a good connection is fine. Much better than MGO, which stutters like a bitch, at times.
Yeah take out bandit is really over-exaggerating the issues this game is fucking fun.

InterMoniker said:
Yeah take out bandit is really over-exaggerating the issues this game is fucking fun.

Yes, my experience with the Beta differs from yours; and I'm "over-exaggerating" never change NeoGAF.

Unplayable until they patch this shit in my experience.

Now, who here is playing via a wireless internet connection? (And don't play the wireless blame game, I've been connected to Warhawk for 12 hours with no connection problems).

Yes, my experience with the Beta differs from yours; and I'm "over-exaggerating" never change NeoGAF.

Now, who here is playing via a wireless internet connection? (And don't play the wireless blame game, I've been connected to Warhawk for 12 hours with no connection problems).
:lol

oh I'm on a wireless connection and yes some games take a long time to load but it's still a beta.

It really depends if the host is good or not.

InterMoniker said:
:lol

It really depends if the host is good or not.

What about the damned dedicated servers though?! Official Sony run ones. Not fan run servers.

Like I said earlier, the game needs to restrict players with shitty connections to hosting games within their means.

What about the damned dedicated servers though?! Official Sony run ones. Not fan run servers.

Like I said earlier, the game needs to restrict players with shitty connections to hosting games within their means.
Yeah I totally agree hopefully if/when they patch the game again they'll add in something like that.

Just played a game, I actually got in the game pretty quick, there were only 4-5 people on the game, and it lagged and froze quite a bit...The controls seemed off a little bit, especially while running, but that might've been because of the lag.

alterno69

Banned
I had a great time playing tonight, i've been playing the beta daily since it launched last week and i've only had it frezze on me like 3 times, i was playing in a 20 player room right now and it was smooth as silk. This game is going to dominate my life, i'm afraid i wont have time to play LittleBigPlanet :(

Playing on a wireless network and other than the long load times (3 or 4 minutes tops here) it's been great.

Loving the map and game modes, just had a great extraction matcxh that enden in a 5-5 draw, what a great game.

I think it's the perfect balance between arcade(Halo) and realistic(Hardcore COD 4) for me, i just don't have as much fun in those games as i've had with SOCOM since last week.

I agree

I switched over to the Six Shooter layout IIRC that's the name. Works better than the other one I was using.

Also changed firing on primary to single shot. Works better for me as I have more control over fire.

This was when I was playing. I'm currently still waiting on the patch. Just making small talk. :p

I've asked this before (as has at least one other) without answer so I'll ask again. What is it, Socom fans that you love about the series? I've noticed several people say that Socom is best played with no respawns. Why is that? Would there be a difference between 1 life in Halo or COD in comparison to Socom?

I'm really enjoying the beta btw.

Bearillusion said:
I've asked this before (as has at least one other) without answer so I'll ask again. What is it, Socom fans that you love about the series? I've noticed several people say that Socom is best played with no respawns. Why is that? Would there be a difference between 1 life in Halo or COD in comparison to Socom?

I reckon it's the faux realism.

I've yet to find a SOCOM clan in my 300+ hours across S2/S3 that really made the experience worth a shit IMO. I'd rather be playing the chaotic and respawn happy Warhawk.

SOCOM caters to the retail / office worker weekend warrior IMO.

PuMa

Bearillusion said:

I'm really enjoying the beta btw.

SOCOM is absolutely best played without respawn. I think it goes back to the SOCOM 1 roots. There is just so much tension in a game when you know that when you die, it's over (until next round of course). Throw in a clan match or two, and its unreal. In my opinion, it is completely different from, say COD4 or Halo. Those games are fun and all, but it's a different kind style of play. Sure, some people prefer the arcade style action of respawn, but that's not what made SOCOM, SOCOM.

tuco11

So much for dedicated servers. Went into a ranked room at about 7pm eastern time. Were 15 people in the room. After waiting 10 minutes at loading screen and another 5 just stuck on viewing another player finally got into a lag filled, no sound match. WTF? :lol

Top Bottom