• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September II 2014 - Ride the Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadownet

Banned
Keep in mind 33GB is the compressed pre-load, which will unpack to 40. There is also an HD Texture pack on top of that.
Idk how compression works. But how do you fit 33GB into 40? I feel like a noob.

Yeah, the page that I linked to earlier. ;)
I just read that again. Spool beside the TF2 item and coupons. It does seem like you're basically paying for reviews and other articles? If I'm reading that right.

Echoplx

Randomly decided to play Star Wars Republic Commando yesterday and ended up playing through it in a few sittings, what a great game. Seems to be very underrated in general, barely ever see anyone talking about it.

It's a shame the bump mapping is broken on modern GPUs, it adds a lot to the games visuals.

Sendou

Yeah I feel the same way. In my impression I wrote that I constantly have to check my surrounding because its so eerily beautiful and empty..

I'm just not good at handling spooky games. I just find them hard to enjoy and discomforting. I was at the part (mildish The Vanishing of Ethan Carter spoilers)
where I'm walking down a mine corridor when a dead guy jumped on me.
If it gets much worse from there I'm not sure if I want to even continue.

Jadax

Randomly decided to play Star Wars Republic Commando yesterday and ended up playing through it in a few sittings, what a great game. Seems to be very underrated in general, barely ever see anyone talking about it.

It's a shame the bump mapping is broken on modern GPUs, it adds a lot to the games visuals.

Pretty sure it's a widely loved game (atleast I do), it's just quite old now - so most opinions have already been written and long forgotten.

Dr Dogg

There's a lot of this in the 6gb vram Mordor thread. It's quite amusing to witness.

I willing to bet if the was an A B test conducted in a thread here that a fair few of the folks panicking wouldn't be able to correctly identify which were the High textures and which were the Ultra. Even accounting for the luck of a 50/50 draw.

Echoplx

Pretty sure it's a widely loved game (atleast I do), it's just quite old now - so most opinions have already been written and long forgotten.

Really? It's from that era of "classic" FPS games but I rarely ever see it mentioned compared to the other big names of that time.

Milamber

If by 'unoptomised' you mean folks with 5 year old plus hardware or supposed gaming laptops trying to run this with every setting turned on or up and then get performance issues, then sure. Other than that it's impossible to know unless someone wants to go through and break down the performance cost for each and every selectable effect or setting, over various resolutions and give an analysis of the game and it's scalability then any judgement would be speculation and assumption at best.

I'd love a site to take on GameGPU's lead and test games outside of hardware reviews and give a break down on a staggering amount of hardware combinations. PCGH sometimes do but there needs to be a bit more quality analysis out there. But fuck it we live in a world where some folks think a Digital Foundry 'verdict' is the be all and end all so what's the point.

I wouldn't go that far. I'm just saying I hope it won't reach the point of Deadly Premonition, where no matter what you do, no matter you having the latest hardware, it is fucked up.

wilflare

I'll be passing on SoM for now since funds are tight since I've just paid my tuition.
Since the price in the PH store for the game + season pass is only 1,529.95php (1699.95php regular price) ~ 34 usd (37.84) is not Ubi-levels of extortion, I should be able to join you guys by my next paycheck.

wait 35usd for Platinum version sounds pretty good (I mean without having to deal w traders)

wilflare

So let me get this straight. You might not be able to max one setting and that is pushing you to get a console version that is likely a notch below the PC settings across the board?

I mean pushing it to the max settings is one of the best/biggest draws. so when that doesn't work out, the draw is still there but less. (it's always a struggle because I use Remote Play to play my PS4 games as well so it isn't always that clear cut)

EDIT - let me rephrase that there are other benefits (personal opinion) to playing on console such as Remote Play, GameStream (PC has it as well yes but okay the PS4 setup works very well for me) and PSN friends (these are local friends).

Yes there are other factors out there that makes the PC version so much better such as trader prices, mods and more. And so far I have opted to mostly to have multiplats on PC, console for exclusives and well the one or two games that I really prefer to play with Vita via Remote Play

Durante

From what I heard on PC games HW, the PC version of SoM is good.

So let me get this straight. You might not be able to max one setting and that is pushing you to get a console version that is likely a notch below the PC settings across the board?
This type of cognitive dissonance is amazingly common.

It also occurs frequently in the "I can't play this game at locked 60 FPS with maxed settings on my PC, so I'll play it on console" guise. (With the console version at 25-30 FPS)

Dr Dogg

I wouldn't go that far. I'm just saying I hope it won't reach the point of Deadly Premonition, where no matter what you do, it is fucked up.

Hahaha but that's the whole thing with Deadly Premonition no one could have known the state it was in until a vast selection of people on different hardware had chance to play it. First there was the internal rendering issues and then there were some other quirks Durante noticed whilst looking into that. Then further on down the line more and more issues surfaced but not a single one of them could have been detected until it was in the hands of customers. Same goes with a lot of games really outside of the ones without widespread problems. There might be something that works perfectly for 95% of people but be a nightmare for the 5%.

I know certain people like to rag on recommended are required system specifications but what do these people expect? The QA department to test on 100's and 100's of hardware combinations to make for sure that it will run on them? To grind things down to the nearest possible specification? More often than not it's a broad but small sample tested and what they have that meets there lowest acceptable setting ends up as the required and the recommend becomes the ones that meets other criteria the developers see their game to run on. There might be systems that fall under this selection of systems tested but might not be included due to the QA department not having anything lower than what was stated. There are sometimes things that stick out like sore thumbs, like i7's being recommended when the game doesn't take advantage of Hyperthreading but it could be to do with that was the system they tested the game on so that's the spec sheet that get's reported. Using a bit of common sense is always a good idea but I'm laughing as I'm typing that out as I know some people are hardly going to.

JP from PlatinumGames mentioned that they only had a couple of PCs to test Metal Gear Rising on and the lowest one that worked was what made up the required settings and recommended was the one that fulfilled their requirements for that. The fact it runs on much older hardware than stated isn't because they want to bullshit people or have some agenda to promote hardware manufactures it's because they can't confirm if it will run or not. Obviously there are larger companies out there than PlatinumGames and some even hire external QA companies to do there testing but it's a fucking long and laborious job as it is let alone factoring in every possible hardware combination under then sun. Hence why wait for the crowd to report back is always the best advice one can give.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
This type of cognitive dissonance is amazingly common.

It also occurs frequently in the "I can't play this game at locked 60 FPS with maxed settings on my PC, so I'll play it on console" guise. (With the console version at 25-30 FPS)

Dark10x was so far ahead of the curve.

I noticed something interesting, my father who isn't into games at all, showed more interest in playing games after my middle brother bought a PS3. He was sitting was watching my brother play MK vs DC (don't even ask me why he bought this game) and got interested in playing the game, the interesting thing is he always saw me playing games in my laptop but never manifested a slightly sign of interest, or he could only comment on how computers aren't made to play games. So I guess this is how the general public perceives gaming on PC. :/

Dr Dogg

Well only 2 missions down but I'm already like the mission structure on the Watch Doggies DLC. T-Bone also doesn't seem so one dimensional as Aiden though animations and controls, weapons and gadgets are the same for both T-Bone instead of having a kosh to perform a non lethal take down has a flipping huge wrench (yeah I'm sure that's just going to spark someone out). There are some other differences as well, T-Bone has his own skill tree as well as there being side missions and investigations separate to the DLC and a Digital Trip just for T-BoneEdit: Turns out this is actually a set of side mission called Street sweep which play out in 3 different way. Rewards offer perks and new clobber to play dress up with T-Bone. Also there is a separate completion completion tracker (sadly Jase it still ties into online as well for about 10% of it). So initial impressions are alright, it's more of the same Watch Dogs but with a lead whose motivation I think those who didn't like Aiden might be a bit more fond of.

Lain

I installed my new MSI 970 yesterday and Diablo 3 was performing worse than with my old 570. Then I removed MSI Afterburner and the game went back to performing like it did before switching videocard.

Sniper Elite 3 instead performed so much better with the 970 (it also looked much better, though it looked pretty good with the 570 too, just not with everything maxed), so much so that I got around to finishing it.
Sniper Elite 3 was my first Sniper Elite game, and I only have it thanks to winning it from modbot (thank you very much once again, abracadaver), I'm glad I won it, because the game has been very fun for me.

I played it at the Marksman level of difficulty which felt nice to me, though the way I played it killed a bit the flow of the game and made me find out some weird bugs. For example, I've had saves trigger the sound heard alert because earlier in the level I had triggered it, though enough time had gone by and the alert was thus switched off. Things like this made it so saving in certain locations and reloading the save gave birth to an insta-death, basically killing the progress of the session since there's no way to get out of it. Luckily it happened on a test save for some action I was trying to pull off (trying to destroy two vehicles at the same time, one with a bomb and another with the sniping rifle).

Anyways, the sniping in the game felt very good. I loved the breath mechanic before shooting, as well as the trying to gain the ghost icon by relocating fast enough, which gave a exp boost on successive kills.
Trying to complete levels without ever getting spotted was something I tried to do, though mostly because that, or being heard bugged the long shot objective in the first mission (the dude wasn't there for me to shoot) and as such I didn't want to risk it again going forward. This meant that anytime things didn't go the way I planned/I wanted them to, I reloaded. As such the flow of the game got broken, but I had tons of fun doing it this way.

The bullet cam is the best part of the game probably. It's what makes a lot of the sniping really satisfying, watching your bullet go and seeing in great, x-ray detail where it hits and how much damage it does to your target. It's also pretty gruesome when thinking about it, but game-wise it works perfectly and I'm happy with that.

The game lasted me 48/49 hours to go through, which I consider a lot of time given the game has "only" 8 missions, though most of that time comes from all the reloading I did and time wasted trying to get everything the first time through a level.

All in all a great sniping game imo and a game I'd like to revisit to try and get some of the achievements I'm still missing.

kudoboi

goddamit i would like to join GAF on the mordor hype train if my leaving examinations for high school wasn't 17 days after that game was being released

I just signed up for RPS. Got a humble bundle code for the hat. But after redeeming it. Nothing appeared in my account? 0.o

what is this TF2 hat you are talking about? can you provide a link? :p

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Lol Ryse runs at 2x the fps or higher and your actual screen resolution or higher.... "yea, I may stick with my XB1 version after seeing this"

Turfster

Did the curation stuff always have a "written language" choice thing?
Because if it did from the start, it's obviously not used to filter out stuff =p

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
2014-09-28_17-22-34.jpg

I'll just leave this here :)

Some old news to hype up Korra :)

From show creator Bryan Konietzko:
We recently saw gameplay footage from this Activision project and it looks awesome. Platinum is doing a fantastic job with the development. Tim Hedrick, series writer, is writing the game and cooked up the story and villain with Mike and me. And our buddies at Titmouse are animating the cut scenes, one of which you can see in the trailer in this link––very cool stuff. I’m not a gamer, but I might even play this thing! Hope you guys enjoy it. Our character designer Christie Tseng is doing the cover art, and there is some sort of contest where you can vote for which cover you want her to finish.
http://bryankonietzko.tumblr.com/post/89893325337/platinum-games-the-legend-of-korra-coming-in-2014
Story is set between Book 2 and 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom