• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror 4 |OT| The October Movie Marathon

Divius

YeUQCF1.jpg

#06 - The Masque of the Red Death
This successful adaptation of the short Poe story makes for a horrific drama period piece with crazy dark thematic undertones. It is a joy to watch with fantastic use of color, stunning sets and costumes and a fun cast. Especially Vincent Price shines in his role of the drunk-with-power Prince Prospero as he moves through the scenes can do no wrong. The only real downside would be that the main story feels rather stretched (the dangers of adapting a short story into a full-length movie I assume) but also that the additional subplots are not not that interesting nor do they really add anything substantial to the movie. 7/10

kunonabi

Film #3: The Hole via Netflix

Felt like a glorified Goosebumps episode. Watch the far superior The Gate instead.

pass

obin_gam

#4 White Zombie
5oGBjob.jpg

This was bad. And not in a good way. Sure, Bela had a load of fun almost to the point of actually smiling to the camera. Other than that though... the story was thin, the rest of the acting was horrible, and I find myself more entertained looking out on the giant tree outside my window.

Ridley327

WEEK ONE (Sept 28-Oct 4): FEARFUL FORESTS

For my fourth marathon (which you can peruse here), I had a week dedicated to more obscure slasher films. One can watch only so many Wes Craven-directed films before wanting to expand their horizons, so it provided an opportunity to dig into some of the best known least known works from the good old days. Some (like He Knows You're Alone) were so derivative of Halloween that there was good reason why the best thing it was known for was being the first film Tom Hanks was in. Others (like Fade to Black) were aiming as high to be Scream about 15 years ahead of time, but running into a slight problem of a script that has such trouble wanting to be one good thing that it decides to be all the not-so-good things. Another still was, well, Nightmare, and the less reminders I can have of that, the better. Of the films from the classic slasher period, Curtains seemed to please me the most, thanks to a solid setup and some highly memorable scenes. Later in the week, when I finally got to the sublime StageFright, with its "all killer, no filler" approach to the story and incredible A/V qualities, it resulted not only a great cap to a weak of somewhat roller coaster-like tendencies, but it also inspired me to try and seek out more accomplished fare in the genre for later viewing.

I knew of the existence of Just Before Dawn around the same time I was making my list that year, but somehow it had escaped my sight. Some of it had to do with the book I had used for that week (and still continue to use) offering a little less than a page's worth of nothing but praise, and some of it had to do with (at the time, at least) the difficulty in watching it in the first place, as it had been out of print for a long time in the US, with little indication that it was going to be rectified in the future. I kept it in mind for a while, thinking it was the kind of film that seemed versatile enough to fit in a variety of different themes that I had been chewing on. In the midst of research for this year, the praise continued amongst the reference material I had added to assist me. Its time had finally come, and finding other forest-based films was hardly a chore. In a weird way, this little-seen slasher film had become an impetus for an entire theme. Expectations were lofty for a film about backwoods psychos and the plucky college students they slice up, to say the least.

For me, a film is always off to a great start when the opening credits offer more than just a mere crawl of names and professions. Opening with an evocative image of a sunrise peaking just over the mountains, it maintains that shot while it slowly rises into more view. Brad Fielder's haunting electronic score plays alongside the imagery, suggesting a kind of danger that feels too close already, even before we see a single human being, friend or foe alike. It's such a strong opening that I get worried that the rest of the film won't live up to it.

I needn't have worried. For 90 minutes, I was fixed to my TV screen, basking in the terrific photography, the excellent direction, the thoughtful camera setups, the eerie score, the likable cast, the inspired plot twists, the whole damn thing. After a while, you actually forget that this had such a familiar premise, because everything falls into place in ways you never expected but always wanted.

It helps that the film is continually keeping you on your toes throughout. Director Jeff Lieberman directs the hell out of this film, and as such goes for a vibe where even the playful moments are fraught with foreboding dread, where you expect everything to go wrong at any moment. This is further exacerbated by the majority of the film taking place during daytime, upending the expectation that the proverbial freaks only come out at night. Meanwhile, Lieberman is able to sneak in some intriguing thematic undertones, like the efforts of the locals to "fit in" with the city folk, to some rather strong gender role reversals that pay off in spades during the film's jaw-dropping finale. It's hard to imagine that this was the same guy responsible for MST3K favorite Squirm, but it goes to show that one bad movie doesn't have to define a director.

In a weird way, going into Just Before Dawn expecting it to be somewhat run-of-the-mill is as effective as going in completely blind, as it's able to sneak up on you much like the hulking killer in this film. It's one thing to be a very good slasher film, but I'd go as far as to proclaim it to be one of the best films I've seen over the course of these six marathons.

Next film: Since there's only one film left, I guess this part has a need again. Genre filmmaking maestro Walter Hill evokes a bit of Vietnam when an Army reserve practices drills where they're not wanted in Southern Comfort, and it's likely that even well armed soldiers won't be enough to stop what's coming.

Gameboy415

1. Lifeforce (Blu-Ray)
2. Sleepaway Camp (Blu-Ray)

3. White Zombie (Netflix)

-I really didn't enjoy this one very much... The storyline was decent (I enjoyed the final scene, anyway) but the audio quality on Netflix was so terrible that I couldn't understand what anyone was saying half the time and it really took me out of the film.

Be sure to catch Zombies vs Strippers and Zombies Zombies Zombies: Strippers vs Zombies

None are masterpieces (obviously), but oh, what a trashy weekend marathon they'd make together. I personally think ZZZ is the best of the 3.
Thanks a lot, I'll try to catch those two, they seem right up my alley.

#1 White Zombie (1932) (October 1)
#2 Zombie Strippers (2008) (October 2 - 3)
#3 Sweet Home (1989) (October 3)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_Home_%28film%29 said:
Sweet Home is a 1989 Japanese horror film directed by Kiyoshi Kurosawa and produced by Juzo Itami. It was released together with a video game of the same title.

The Famicom video game:

1zuVjeJ.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_Home_%28video_game%29 said:
Sweet Home is a 1989 psychological horror role-playing video game for the Family Computer based on the Japanese horror film of the same name. The game was developed and published by Capcom, and was released exclusively in Japan on December 15, 1989. Sweet Home was supervised by the film's director Kiyoshi Kurosawa and is a forerunner of Capcom's Resident Evil game series.

I played the game some time ago and loved it, so I was eager to see the movie: I liked it! Some of the special effects are pretty good (especially the gruesome deaths), some not so much; the core of the story is the same as in the game, but there are a lot of differences so it was still entertaining to watch.
All in all, a nice haunted house horror movie from the 80s. Having played the game before adds a layer of fun ("Oh, that item was in the game too!")

movie 2
oculus
aGIgfuZ.gif

The trailers for this film really sell it as something it isn't. I went in expecting an over dramatic slog laden with jump scares and gross-out visuals. What I got was a slightly over-wrought campfire ghost story with strong middle and final acts and some decent performances by much of the cast.

The film revolves around a seemingly haunted mirror that has for hundreds of years, been involved in a series of violent and seemingly related deaths. Eleven years after the events of the latest incident involving their parents, siblings Kaylie and Tim reunite and end up attempting to prove the mirror's haunted nature, and to hopefully destroy it.

The film ends up straying much closer to something like a murder mystery than "bad things happen to nice people for 90 minutes" which is where most of these possessed object/person/place films seem to end up. There is actually a bit of heart to this film, perhaps relying (too) heavily on the presence of children (everyone loves children!) in the story, but the two young actors do a fine job and you end up starting to actually feel concerned for their plight.

I read that Oculus was originally a short film the director produced a number of years ago, and he was reticent to expand the idea into a feature-length film. In retrospect this is evident as the film's first act fumbles awkwardly to introduce the necessary elements for us to care about what happens later. One scene in particular is almost impossible to watch with a straight face as Karen Gillan sasses her way through expositing the Oculus' violent history with all the forced bravado of a bad cable TV show host.

The movie then begins to interweave the two storylines we've been exposed to: what happened eleven years ago to Kaylie and Tim's family, and the present day time of their efforts to prove and defeat whatever evil force resides within the mirror. The film makes excellent use of a single location for most of it's run time by jumping back and forth between the two stories.

At first it feels like the film is simply losing it's cohesion and that the editor started falling asleep at his workstation. Eventually the line between these two timelines becomes (purposely) hard to recognize, and in the film's final act, it becomes difficult to know if what you're watching is actually happening, has happened, or exists entirely inside someone's mind. It really ends up feeling like a nice change of pace from the stolid, linear narratives that plague most modern horror films.

There's some decently creepy visuals, especially in regards to whatever is connected to the mirror itself. If you haven't watched the trailers for this film, I suggest that you don't. They all ruin one particularly squirmy moment of gore and honestly do a disservice to the tone of the film. It should be noted that the film makes almost no attempt to actually explain what is happening, what the mirror is, or what "lives" inside of it. It's a little Lovecraftian in that sense (contemplate it too long and you'll go mad, etc) but given the giant info dump at the end of the film's first act, it feels a little undercooked in that regard. However it wasn't enough to completely detract from what is a solid, creepy, little ghost/demon story.

★★★★☆
good for: creepy psychological ghost/demon story horror, nice visuals, purposefully confusing editing
bad for: explanation of story's sole macguffin (the Oculus itself), some uneven acting, Katie Sackhoff's horrendous wardrobe

Day 3 - Oculus

I felt this was quite good. The way it keeps mixing the two timelines and messing up what´s real and what isn´t kept me guessing all the way until the end, even if the ending itself was very predictable.
Enough has been said about this movie a couple of posts ago so I´ll just say that it was a refreshing change from the modern horror movies and I would definitely recommend it.

Day 4 - Silent House

SilentHouse.jpg

I haven´t watched this before because I kept hearing about how it was bad and boring, 25 minutes in I was pretty much ready to hate the movie. Now that I´ve seen it all? I liked it. The one thing that gets almost universal praise is the way the movie is edited to look like one continuous take and they pull it off perfectly. The whole movie takes place in a house in real time for 90 minutes.
Look at Elizabeth Olsen´s face in the poster. Do you think you can handle looking at that face for a long time? If you do, then this is the movie for you as it is basically Elizabeth Olsen´s Face : The Movie. She does a good job of looking scared which is good because she spends most of the time alone on screen.
It starts off as what seems a home invasion movie but things take turn near the end.
I enjoyed how the whole thing connected in the end. There were a lot of clues since the beginning,
the way Olsen looks when her father is taking pictures of the mold as if she´s remembering something, the appearance of Sophia shortly after telling that she has some pictures to show Sarah and then pictures start appearing in the house, the behavior both her father and uncle had towards her was really uncomfortable especially in a certain scene between Sarah and her Uncle near the stairs and some other things.
Maybe it was my extremely low expectations but I found the movie to be quite interesting and different. Never seen the original movie but it appears it´s a bit more ambiguous than this one, might watch it on a later occasion.

Day 1 - House On Haunted Hill (1959)
Day 2 - House On Haunted Hill (1999)
Day 3 - Oculus
Day 4 - Silent House

Snake

-Night 3-

u577Fxg.png

[Rewatch]
I've been marathoning Roseanne for the last few months. So, in honor of Laurie Metcalf, I decided to rewatch Scream 2. I have a soft spot for the Scream series, even at its weaker moments. 2 is lacking so much of what made the original great, but it's still fun enough, and has an interesting cast (even though it has the weakest villain(s) of the franchise ). While it ramps up the metatext, the deeper subtext of 1 feels almost non-existent. Still an enjoyable movie, only less so on rewatch.
6.5/10

Iuk1PUP.png

[Rewatch]
The comedy/camp has been pushed to eleven, and that's good news, because this is the most enjoyable Texas Chainsaw Massacre. TCM2 does everything that Rob Zombie obviously wishes he could do. The end result probably pissses off anyone just in it for the gore, but discerning viewer will be rewarded!
7.9/10

Eklipsis

Although I am having a hard time finding some of the movies off my list, still need to check youtube but I guess it pays to have Netflix, I have been able to watch a few new to me movies. I will list both my new to me and previously viewed but I'm trying for 31 new to me movies for the marathon.

Previously viewed:

1. Purge-own
2. V/H/S-own

New:

3. Dreamcatcher-on demand
Really surprised I haven't seen this before. I think this was based of a Stephen King novel, so no surprise a good story and well acted. I liked this one 4/5

4. Cabin Fever: Patient Zero-rental
This one really fell short for me...I enjoyed the first one and this story was meh and had some parts(ie. the fight scene) that could have been done without. 2/5

5. Happy Camp-on demand
This found footage film I thought had potential....until I saw the "monster" it was poor CGI looked goofy and then the movie was kind of over for me. Wish they would have never showed the "monster" at all would have been a much better film. 2.5/5

6. The Afflicted-own
Bought this movie with this marathon in mind...boy am I glad I did. Really like the documentary/found footage style used in this film. At first I thought this wasn't going to be a horror movie then it turned. While not really scary had a great take on an old idea. Sure some of it was kinda cheesy and acting got a little iffy, most of it was really well done. Worth a watch IMO. 4/5

I saw someone mention just seeing Frankenhooker for the first time. That one is a delight. I saw it for the first time a few months ago on Hulu. Would have loved to see a Frankenhooker meets Re-Animator movie.
So my goal of not seeing a repeat is taking me down some odd paths.

Today it brought me to Carrie (2013). The thing I like about remakes is they tend to to make people see the original. Sometimes they do something new or have a unique interesting approach that makes it worth getting made. Carrie didn't. Chloe does fine and there's some neat tk prom kills but overall there was no point.

1. Aaah! Zombies!!
2. Candyman
3. Silent Night, Zombie Night
4. White Zombie
5. The Blob (1958)
6. Carrie (2013)

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Man, Brain Damage is... I can't even find the words for it. I don't even know if I'd say it's a good movie, but Frank Henenlotter's strangeness is oddly addicting. It's such a bizarre movie you can't help but get pulled in. That BJ scene was... yeah, I don't even know what to say. Have you seen Bad Biology?

No, only seen the Basket Case movies from him. I am familiar with Frankenhooker, but don't know anything about Bad Biology except that it was made a long time after most of his movies. Is it worth a watch?

Chabbles

Last night i watched "The Borderlands" and "Trick r Treat". I think their both worth a watch, specially Trick r Treat. The Borderlands..i went in expecting afew proper scares, but at best its just a little creepy.. interesting throughout though, and that ending, i like those sort of endings.

Film 4: Sisters (1973)
Method of Viewing: Hulu Plus

zWonswF.jpg

http://www.criterion.com/films/377-sisters

This was a film I thoroughly enjoyed. Director Brian De Palma did an excellent job paying homage to Hitchcock using elements such as imagery, unique camera work like the split screen scenes, and the soundtrack. This film will make you think as the plot reveals no concrete ending which was also typical Hitchcock. I thought I figured out something then a twist in the plot would totally debunk my theory. Fun movie and I hope others will watch so we can discuss.

Film 5 - Them (DVD)

We only want to play...

TEJsMuQ.png

My first rewatch of the month, and one of my absolute favourite home invasion movies. While I love being scared by the supernatural, it's films like this that really get under my skin. Because stuff like this could really happen, and this film is supposedly based on true events (Edit: Though I don't think it actually is). It's basic premise is very similar to the Liv Tyler movie The Strangers that came out a couple of years later, but Them is much better in every respect.

After a nerve jangling five minute prologue, we are given a brief respite as we get to know our happy couple in the large, rundown house in the woods that they've not long moved into. But when darkness falls the tension starts to mount, and pretty much never lets up until the end. Them is only an hour and a quarter long, and it achieves this economy by not wasting a single moment. And though I've seen it many times, it still totally creeps me out.

Verdict: Thoroughly recommended. Just don't watch it at night in a big spooky house in the Romanian woods.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
1) Annabelle (Theater): I thought it was a good horror movie. I can see why people would be down/mixed on this movie. The scares were pretty good. The first half is kinda slow, but I think it picks up afterwards. The movie had a Rosemary's Baby vibe to it. Solid movie, but a bit of a letdown coming from The Conjuring.

No, only seen the Basket Case movies from him. I am familiar with Frankenhooker, but don't know anything about Bad Biology except that it was made a long time after most of his movies. Is it worth a watch?

Bad Biology is not considered very good, so I wouldn't generally recommend it. It's my least favorite of his films, but it's typical Henenlotter strangeness though, so it held my interest. It's a little slower and doesn't quite have the same charm as his earlier movies, but like Brain Damage it was so bizarre I couldn't look away. I've only watched it once as well, I'm not sure how well it would hold up if I were to watch it again. So in other words, I dunno :)

Frankenhooker is definitely worth a watch though. I'm glad more people are talking about it this year. Great movie.

Student Bodies: This was the worst of the bunch. I thought the Scary Movie movies owned terrible horror parody but this one was bad long before.

1. Aaah! Zombies!!
2. Candyman
3. Silent Night, Zombie Night
4. White Zombie
5. The Blob (1958)
6. Carrie (2013)
7. Student Bodies

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Last night was movie #4 for me.

The ABCs of Death. Another one I had seen before that my girlfriend hadn't. I told her F was for fart and she was down. Good movie, although some of the letters totally fall flat. Thankfully, they're all short enough that a few bum letters don't drag it down too much. Also, F is for fart.

#3 The Woman in Black
Director: James Watkins
womaninblackqhpye.gif

Pretty standard Horror

Pretty decent film, well acted, well shot and the atmosphere was great. The story was kind of hollow like it was frankensteined up by a bunch of other stories. Otherwise it was fine, I might try James Watkins other film Eden Lake to see more of his style.

Mdeezy

Im watching Outbreak tonight. Mainly due to the ebola scare going around :(. Not a horror or scary movie but whatever. Back to the horror movies tomorrow

I should be over 20 but I ended up play Smash Bros all night.

17. Alien Abduction
This movie could have been great but there was way to many shitty jump scares and aliens looks like something you would find at a discount Halloween store

18. Dawn of The Dead.
I really dont need to say anything about this.

View List 2014 -
1. House of 1000 Corpses
2. The Rope Maiden (short)
3. Paraphilia (short)
4. Dead Nude Girls
5. Inner Depravity Vol 1 (short)
6. Inner Depravity Vol 2 (short)
7. Geometria (short)
8. Cronos
9. Thirteen Ghosts
10. House of Wax
11. Flower of Flesh and Blood
12. Pans Labyrinth
13. ABCs of Death 2
14. The Hornets Sting and The Hell It's Caused
15. Se7en
16. Zombie
17. Alien Abduction
18. Dawn of The Dead

Last night was movie #4 for me.

The ABCs of Death. Another one I had seen before that my girlfriend hadn't. I told her F was for fart and she was down. Good movie, although some of the letters totally fall flat. Thankfully, they're all short enough that a few bum letters don't drag it down too much. Also, F is for fart.

The only 2 i like from it were L is for Libido and U is for Unearthed.

Scavenger

#2 Theatre of Blood

I watched the excellent Blu-ray from Arrow Films UK. Theatre of Blood is kind of similar to the two Dr Phibes films, the only other films starring Vincent Price I'm familiar with. The film has a charming sense of humor and an interesting setting (Killing theatre critics lol), but I think the first Dr Phibes film is slightly better.

braves01

Banned
4. An American Werewolf in London - Really good. The makeup and special effects were really great for the transformations, and there was lots of humor when he wasn't in werewolf mode. The only negative, imo, is how dumb the wolf looks towards the end of the movie when you get a better look at it. I know people criticized the new Wolf Man movie for not showing enough of the wolf, but I think that is a smart approach unless you've got a really great looking concept. FWIW, I personally think a more upright werewolf works better than just straight up turning into wolf.

J-Roderton

6 of 31

House At The End The Street

Not too bad. Lots of twists and turns in this one although I don't really consider it a horror flick. Just my opinion. My girl picked this one tonight. Back to my list tomorrow.

2.5/5

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
1) Annabelle (Theater)
2) Carrie ('76, Netflix US): It is a different kind of horror movie, more of a supernatural thriller than horror. Sissy's performance is a the main reason to watch it. I thought she was excellent. The movie is a slow burn, so if you hate those, I would probably avoid it.

Jal

BPA4b8T.jpg

04. The Conjuring (2013)

Now i know this was directed by the same person as Insidious the multiple unneeded ghosts makes more sense, and whats the point of the doll? 'Lets make a suspenseful horror but throw in a bunch of shit to stop audiences with the attention span of a goldfish getting bored'. The less i see the better in ghost stories, I enjoyed the ending but there was too much nonsense leading up to that.

6/10

izakq

#3 - Annabelle - Theater

It was alright, I guess. I got a little bit of a Rosemary's Baby vibe from it. The ending in dealing with the issue at hand, just came out of nowhere and was almost comedic to a point. Thumbs in the middle.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Can anyone recommend a good short for me to check out tonight? Ideally 30 minutes or less, and not too gory. Needs to be girlfriend-friendly, and also available for streaming somewhere.

Snaku

Banned

#04 - Wrestlemaniac (2006)

Viewed via:

Now here's a movie I'd never heard of before, and given my off and on love affair with wrasslin I was a bit surprised that it existed. The film stars Rey Misterio, uncle of WWE's Rey Mysterio, as El Mascarado, the insane government funded Frankenstein luchador created from the body parts of Mexico's greatest luchadores to wrassle the Soviets during the Cold War. These days you can find him lurking in a run down desert town terrorizing amateur porn filmmakers, ripping their "masks" (faces) off and plastering them on his wall as trophies. If ever there was a slasher made with wrasslegaf in mind, this is it.

The plot is basically non-existant, and the runtime is mercifully brief at only an hour and fifteen minutes. There's plenty of eye candy to look at while waiting for El Mascarado to strike again, but I must say those moments ended up being the most disappointing thing about Wrestlemaniac. I don't understand the filmmaker's thinking in hiring a well known wrassler, and then not allowing him to make wrasslin kills. There are one or two fleeting moments where El Mascarado breaks out a back breaker, or lands a splash off a steel drum, but that's it. I really would have liked the film more if they had exploited the damn wrasslin gimmick, the one thing that sets El Mascarado apart from the likes of Jason or Michael Myers.

I'll leave you with the greatest hiding from a homicidal luchador scene ever put to film.

Final Viewed List
#01 - Leprechaun Origins (2014)
#02 - Annabelle (2014)
#03 - Frankenhooker (1990)
#04 - Wrestlemaniac (2006)
#05 - Phantoms (1998)
#06 - Clownhouse (1989)
#07 - White Zombie (1932)
#08 - The Possession (2012)
#09 - The Monster Squad (1987)
#10 - Sharknado 2: The Second One (2014)

daffy

Banned
#3 The Woman in Black
Director: James Watkins
womaninblackqhpye.gif

Pretty standard Horror

Pretty decent film, well acted, well shot and the atmosphere was great. The story was kind of hollow like it was frankensteined up by a bunch of other stories. Otherwise it was fine, I might try James Watkins other film Eden Lake to see more of his style.
This the one with Daniel radcliffe? Some of the house scenes were pretty intense.

Movie #4: Ginger Snaps Unleashed.

I tend to almost hate the first follow up to a horror flick I like but I think Ginger Snaps 2 may be better than the original. The film has its own rather unique take on the Werewolf movie and the way they slowly build the bond between Bridgette and Ghost makes for a really excellent payoff with the reveals at the end. I love when horror films take the time and really earn their twists and turns.

When I saw that Katharine Isabelle was involved with the film I was slightly skeptical of how they would work Ginger into the movie but they did a half decent job. My only complaint would be that they didn't come full circle with that particular angle in the end.

I've heard that the third movie kind of sucks? Anyone have an opinion either way? Looking at a brief synopsis it doesn't appear to be directly related to the first or second film but features Bridgette and Ginger in the past?

At any rate I am on to Carnival of Souls tomorrow. I've been wanting to see that for a while now.

4. The Stuff

I first heard of this through Cinemassacre's Monster Madness. Certainly a more light horror movie I want to compare to Gremlins. The premise is The Stuff is a white substance that a guy found in the ground, tasted it, and turned it into a cultural sensation on par with Coca-Cola or McDonald's. It even includes a TV spot for The Stuff, and for an '80s fan like myself, I did enjoy that. The first thoughts people would have with this premise is "Did the FDA even test this Stuff?", and it turns out that yes, they did, and it's an early plot point. There's only a few deaths, and while they aren't all bloody and gory, they can be grotesque. The big highlight is having The Stuff move around, which is impressive for something that isn't CGI.

Overall, not a classic, but worth checking out.

WoodWERD

Well, this is my first year in the mix and I'm off to a late start haha. Kicked things off with a rewatch:

giphy.gif

#1 - Cabin in the Woods

Puppets! The second time around made me realize how much of a classic this really is. The satire is spot on and the puppeteers are hilarious. Gotta love The Fool and that third act, glorious. You even have a unicorn impaling a scientist ffs. Cabin in the Woods will surely be an annual rewatch from now on.

Ridley327

WEEK ONE (Oct 4): FEARFUL FORESTS

I'm convinced that Walter Hill doesn't make any other kind of film other than Walter Hill films. He's the rare genre filmmaker that doesn't really like trying to make his films fit into any one particular hole. The Driver has the atmosphere and story of a film noir, but the action-packed driving sequences of just about any racing-focused B-movie of the 70s to go along with it. The Warriors is a comic-book style chase film, but often dips its toes into all sorts of different avenues along the way. Hell, a good case can be made for Hill inventing the ultimate genre mashup in the buddy cop action-comedy mode with 48 Hours, which continues to be one of the most enduring ones to this day. He's one of the all-time best action directors, but chances are that you could never describe one of his films as a straight action film.

Southern Comfort definitely fits that statement to a "T," as it takes the setup of The Warriors and sets it down in the Louisiana bayou in the dying days of the Vietnam War. It's got a lot of action, a lot of Hill's trademark macho stoicism (this time, care of the likes of Powers Boothe, Keith Carradine, and Fred Ward), and healthy helping of horror film conventions to give it a harder, unexpected edge. Genre-benders often find themselves with a strong risk and reward proposition, not unlike a juggling act: miss just one pin and the whole act falls apart, but in the hands of an expert, each of them are equally transfixing. At his best, Hill manages that business quite well, and it's thankfully no different for this film.

If it falters, it is because it becomes fairly obvious early on who is actually going to make it to the finish line, so some of the tension of what's going to happen next after the first shocking death is somewhat dissipated. The ways the rest of them go out do have a great way of sneaking up on you, but that knowing feeling about those more fortunate goes almost inescapable throughout the film, until the sensational finale where it becomes a hell of a lot more uncertain.

But that doesn't stop the things that the film does well. The cast has great rapport with one another, despite most of the characters hating each others' guts, which helps sells the authenticity on both sides of the conflict. The Louisiana bayou is such an excellent setting for a film like this, as it helps illustrate the difficulty these men have traversing their terrain without having to be told much about it, as the warped trees and the constant terrain changes from solid ground to water make for good visual storytelling. No need for foreboding music to tell you what you should be feeling in these parts. I imagine that also informed Ry Cooder's terrific score for the film, which remains gentle and understated, to the point of carrying on a haunted quality that it wouldn't have been able to if it had been more aggressive.

In short, there's not really much more I could have asked for from Southern Comfort that it didn't deliver on with spades. It may not be much more than a less fanciful take on The Warriors, but you could hardly go wrong with that, especially with the kind of strong filmmaking that Walter Hill is known for.

Sanity check: So far, so good. Expanding the marathon out to the last three days of September at the drop of the dime didn't seem to bug me all that much, but I didn't expect it to since I had more than enough spillover with every week up to this point to have been able to do that with any of the themes. It was a shaky start as far as quality was concerned, but Ravenous did a great job of firing me up for what was to come, which wound up being a pretty goddamned rich bounty. I can only hope that next week's theme, Medical Issues, is content with being even half as good as this rip-roaring start.

Ridley327

I need to find a way to watch Just Before Dawn asap.

If you have Amazon Instant Video, it's available for Prime members for free. I believe Code Red's Blu-ray has been sold out for a while, so expect to pay a pretty penny for a physical copy now.

And no, you can't have mine!

kunonabi

Movie #4: Ginger Snaps Unleashed.

I tend to almost hate the first follow up to a horror flick I like but I think Ginger Snaps 2 may be better than the original. The film has its own rather unique take on the Werewolf movie and the way they slowly build the bond between Bridgette and Ghost makes for a really excellent payoff with the reveals at the end. I love when horror films take the time and really earn their twists and turns.

When I saw that Katharine Isabelle was involved with the film I was slightly skeptical of how they would work Ginger into the movie but they did a half decent job. My only complaint would be that they didn't come full circle with that particular angle in the end.

I've heard that the third movie kind of sucks? Anyone have an opinion either way? Looking at a brief synopsis it doesn't appear to be directly related to the first or second film but features Bridgette and Ginger in the past?

At any rate I am on to Carnival of Souls tomorrow. I've been wanting to see that for a while now.

yeah the third one sucks. I really enjoy unleashed as well. Bridgette pretty much makes the films and she gets more to do in unleashed and Ghost easily the best character that she's had to play off of.

Risible

WEEK ONE (Oct 4): FEARFUL FORESTS

In short, there's not really much more I could have asked for from Southern Comfort that it didn't deliver on with spades. It may not be much more than a less fanciful take on The Warriors, but you could hardly go wrong with that, especially with the kind of strong filmmaking that Walter Hill is known for.

How this movie isn't more popular and well known is beyond me. It's fantastic. I agree with you on all points.

#1: Monkey Shines

A very strange movie (more thriller than horror) about a telepathic monkey who kills people (and budgies) through the subconscious desires of his angry, quadriplegic owner. The pacing is slow but the whole concept (Planet of the Apes meets Scanners!) makes it worth watching once.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I didn't have much time tonight, so I watched some short films. Mostly eh, but I really like this one.

#5. Don't Move. Some 20-somethings summon a demon with a ouija board. It starts killing any one of them that moves. Pretty good stuff!

RemOiwG.jpg

1 Halloween IV: The Return of Michael Myers [October 1]

"We're not talking about any ordinary prisoner, Hoffman! We are talking about evil on two legs."

Following the failure of Halloween III: Season of the Witch, John Carpenter cashed in his chips and walked away from the franchise, leaving producer Moustapha Akkad in complete control of the show. Not long before his departure, Carpenter developed an esoteric take on the Shape's return, but Akkad scrapped that shit and went back to the basics. The result is a straight as a razor slasher flick with more than a few echoes of the original classic.

Upon learning he has a niece, Michael Myers stages yet another madhouse breakout. Intent on staging a bloody family reunion, he hacks and slashes his way back to his old stomping grounds. While Sam Loomis physically survived the explosive conclusion of Halloween II, his mind clearly didn't. Loomis is crazier than a shithouse rat as he relentlessly pursues his former patient. Now a proud proponent of the NRA, Loomis happily whips out his trusty six shooter shooting at ghosts and threatening unsuspecting assholes in Michael Myers masks.

Director Dwight Little capably guides the film from plot point to plot point without any major hiccups. He even manages a moment or two of actual suspense and genuine atmosphere. Donald Pleasence delivers the goods as always, but Danielle Harris steals the show in her turn as Big Mike's niece Jamie Lloyd. She tackles some pretty demanding material for any actor, much less a child actor, and does it with aplomb. Halloween 4 ain't Halloween, but it's still a solid as steel slasher flick, and one of the better entries into the franchise. It's a shame it features possibly the worst Shape mask in the entire series.

uhAxUZ9.jpg

2 Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers [October 2]

"Michael's work is not finished in Haddonfield. And soon, very soon, he'll come back."

Following the baffling conclusion of Halloween V, horror fans were left scratching their heads. Where the fuck is this shit going? Unfortunately the answer came in the form of Halloween VI: The Curse of Michael Myers. Setting the precedent for dozens of horror flicks to come, the Weinsteins did everything in their power to screw the pooch. Harvey Scissorhands cut, chopped and generally butchered the shit out the original film. Reshoots were ordered, gore was piled on and the plot was thrown out the fucking window. The resulting film was an abject failure, that bombed at the box office and left fans scratching their heads harder, but not really giving a shit where things would lead next.

Not long after the film died its well deserved death, bootleg copies of the Producer's Cut of Halloween 6 circulated through the horror tape trader community. A VHS copy of a copy of a copy, the quality was terrible, but was the only way to see what Halloween 6 looked like before the evil studio fuckwads got involved. For years fans yearned for a high quality release, so they could actually see what the fucker looked like. Finally Scream Factory delivered the goods in beautiful high definition.

The Producer's Cut is decidedly better than the terrible, horrible, not very good theatrical version, but still doesn't hang together all that well. The Cult of Thorn plot is fleshed out, but feels like a misguided retcon. While the series has never been terribly long on logic or continuity, Curse pushes things well past the breaking point. Smith's Grove is transformed from just another sanitarium to some kind of ground zero for a cult of Celtic nutjobs. Between bouts of ritual incestuous rape, Big Mike wanders the corridors (butcher knife in hand, natch) like it ain't not big thing. Tommy Doyle isn't so much a character, but a plot point. His reason for believing in the Cult of Thorn bullshit is never explored, and he exists solely to deliver exposition, move the plot along and explain the crazy ass shit that's been crammed into the Halloween franchise. Reduced to little more than a rabid dog on a chain, Michael Myers is stripped of any remaining menace he had.

Is it all bad? Not really. While the Producer's Cut isn't a good movie, it at least has a clear vision, regardless of how wrong-headed and lame-brained that vision might be. It feels like a focused attempt at expanding the Halloween franchise, and taking things into a really weird and sideways direction. The extra footage adds a lot, and hints at what could have been. If Moustapha Akkad had been allowed to re-shoot and build around the existing film, instead of gutting the fucker, who knows how things could have turned out. Could the final product have actually been a good supernatural horror film? Maybe. Could it have been a good Halloween film? No fucking way.

inm8num2

Black Christmas is an overlooked classic. Can't go wrong with it.

It's maybe the most overlooked horror classic and a true landmark film for the genre, imo. I love Black Christmas!

Due to some unforeseen circumstances as well as a late night of college football games, I wasn't able to watch a movie tonight. I'll make it up during the next few days so that I'm still on track for 31 in October.

Top Bottom