• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror 4 |OT| The October Movie Marathon

cacildo

Watched both back to back yesterday

235px-nightmare3zqp0n.jpg

- I REALLY like this one

- This movie has something that most horror movies just cant get around: the characters get together and share informations about the threat they´re facing. Most horror movies have stuff like "Oh my god a monster what is that?" and nobody share information about it, which could make everything easier for everybody

- Yet one scene denies this very strong point of the movie. When the
girl is killed by the TV freddy
, it dosent occur to anybody to mention to the skeptic doctor that
its phisically impossible for anybody to kill themselves that way. They find a girl with her head buried in a tv screen and just say "well, she obivously killed herself"

- VERY FUNNY how the poster gets the movie all wrong. I think its a common thing in the Nightmare movies, right? There´s a kid holding a mace, the punk girl has white hair, Kincaid is thin and a girl with brown hair and a white dress... could have been Nancy, but i dont remember her with any white dress

- Young Lawrence Fishburn. He was looking good. Both on this and Boys in the Hood

- Anyway, i think its great. Its a great sequel to part one. In fact it works like Silent Hill 1 and Silent Hill 3

y3kv1.jpg

- Watched for the first time yesterday

- Its a sequel alright. Get from where the last one ended, follow the rules, introduces new points....

- Yet its pretty weak. Really no reason to exist. Except it hit big in the box office!

-
Surivor characters from last movie get killed right at the begining. I know its an horror movie trope, but its annoying since Joey and Kincaid were great characters.

-
Joey´s mother found him dead. How? Well, his bed suddenly turned into a giant aquarium and he drowned inside. Obvious suicide. Nothing strange enough for kids in school to talk about, move along

- The poster is also terrible.

- But the cockroach scene was pretty great!

giphy2jsnk.gif

516N4CFCXQL._SY300_.jpg

3) What Have You Done To Solange? (1972) *** (of 5) personal collection via XBMC
I've seen this hailed as a masterpiece, one of the best giallos, etc, but I found it a mild disappointment. It leans more to the police procedural side of the giallo equation rather than the horror side, and while there are a few disturbing, well-crafted scenes and it's certainly well-made, I found it merely good, not great. The pacing is lax and talky, and I didn't find the resolution all that interesting. I've also seen Morricone's score hailed as one of his best, but I didn't think it was particularly memorable. Not a bad film by any means, but I didn't feel it worthy of some of the rapturous praise I've seen. Camille Keaton of I Spit On Your Grave appears in a small but pivotal role. I dunno, I'm probably underrating it, but it just never quite knocked me out.

kunonabi

Film #7: Rigor Mortis via Netflix

Would this be the first Chinese horror film I actually enjoy? Not really. The performances and characters were good but everything else is kind of meh. It's not scary, the action sequences are nothing special, and the ending was fairly unnecessary.

pass

Film #8: The Prowler via Hulu

I used to pass the vhs whenever I went to Video Village as a kid but I never rented it. There was something fascinating yet repulsive about it that always kind of turned me away. Turns out the movie is quite possibly the pinnacle of the mediocre slasher film. Just a waste of time really.

pass

So far this hasn't been a good month outside of The House of the Devil and Vincent Price. Hopefully the rest of my Hulu picks fare better.

NIGHT-

1. The Mist
2. They live
3. Night of the living dead
4. Gingersnaps
5. The fly remake
6. Poltergeist
7. Gremlins
8. Creepshow
9.Childs Play

Starting the day off with Childs Play 2

Mideon

7. American Mary

Ok this one. Kind of feel sorry for the main character but the ending kind of came out of nowhere.

2/5

Oct. 6

FRANKENSTEIN_MUST_BE_DESTROYED_POSTER.jpg

A solid Hammer effort that I feel doesn't quite work as well as it could have, largely because the Baron's character is presented as a thoroughly distasteful figure for the most part. Here, Frankenstein's obsessions lead him to lie, kidnap, blackmail, rape and murder his way through the plot, and it just never really works for me... Freddie Jones, on the other hand, is excellent as the "creature", a man who's mind is surgically bound to another body (the scenes with his disbelieving wife are particularly moving). Other solid performances include Thorley Walters as a slightly befuddled but tenacious Chief Inspector of Police, and of course there is Veronica Carlson...

Tonight I'll skip the abortive Ralph Bates "reboot" of the series - 1970's Horror of Frankenstein - and finish my re-viewing of Hammer's Frankenstein films with one of my favorites (and the very last time Peter Cushing would reprise the role), Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell! And then I'm off to the seven Hammer Christopher Lee Dracula films for week two...

View List 2014 - The (mostly) Hammer Horror edition
  1. White Zombie (1932)
  2. The Curse of Frankenstein (1957)
  3. The Revenge of Frankenstein (1959)
  4. Evil of Frankenstein (1964)
  5. Frankenstein Created Woman (1967)
  6. Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed (1969)

6eI9K6M.jpg

Saw this last night. I was pretty surprised. It's probably because I went in thinking the film would be mediocre but it was actually pretty good. I know it is a little overdone today but the whole "reality on camera" thing works really well. I will say that I found the 2nd story very stupid. I didn't understand the ending.
Was the fiance in on the plan the whole time?

Film 7: The Innocents (1961)
Method of Viewing: Bluray Disc (blind buy and I do not regret it)
Rating: 7/10

Those who have seen The Others are in quite familiar territory with this film. Governess is tasked with taking care of two young children who may be possessed. It is a very good atmospheric horror film that relies heavily on lighting, shadows, and cinematography to produce the effect. Very well done and screenplay by Truman Capote

PfkB4NR.jpg

http://www.criterion.com/films/28569-the-innocents

I wonder what my last Criterion horror film will be. One more to go before I begin my next list. I've got a pretty good idea for a theme.

cacildo

Please put your score for each movie (im asking this but i didnt put on my post)

Im getting recomendations from this thread

FloatOn

so I haven't been truly scared from a movie in a long time. I trust you horror afficianados can pick something for me that will do the job.

I may just be completely desensitized.

cacildo

so I haven't been truly scared from a movie in a long time. I trust you horror afficianados can pick something for me that will do the job.

Lets see if i can recomend you something...

I remember when i watched Dawn of the Dead on a packed theater in 2004. Me and my girlfriend (and the whole theater!) left terrified. I was an old zombie movie lover, but for most of the crowd it was probably the first zombie movie (it was for my girlfriend at the time, for instance)

Then me and my sister watched REC. a few years ago. We were so scared we had to watch SOUL PLANE after it to get to sleep. Ahah soul plane!

But its also a zombie movie, and zombies are so beat right now...

I really dont know what to recomend you. I guess the really scary movie is the movie that you feel its CURSED, it dosent feel like a movie made of actors and directed and released. It needs to feel like something that came straight out of hell to your house.

(scary videogames should follow the same pattern to be sucessfuly scary)

Right now i feel the real world is so much scarier and horrible than any movie that im like you. I cant get scared by a movie anymore.

(i really hope the recomendations im getting in this thread get me back on track)

FloatOn

yeah REC 1 + 2 were pretty intense. a well done found footage movie can absolutely get under your skin. The Poughkeepsie Tapes was pretty intense, unnerving and sad but I can't say that I bought the premise enough to actually be scared from it.

my roommate is into the more extreme violence horror and that more grosses me out than scares me.

I guess the last time I was afraid due to watching a movie was when I watched The Strangers and then the french movie that was essentially the same premise called Ils (Them). The idea of having my home invaded is pretty scary to me. I've seen Funny Games and that didn't strike the same chord, it mainly made me hate the antagonists.

MattyH

#7 The Evil Dead i spent a while thinking whether or not to go with the original or the 2013 reboot and decided to go with the original and best

NIGHT-

I love horror movies, but most just aren't scary. The strangers did it for me though

Scavenger

#3 Scanners (1981) 6 Oct.
I had never seen a Cronenberg film before and I only knew about Scanners from the head explosion scene. It’s a lot better than I had anticipated, but the acting could’ve been better. Special effects are great, especially the head explosion and the final confrontation. I think it’s the best final confrontation I’ve ever seen in my life.

#4 Hardware (1990) 6 Oct.
The film suffers from terrible suspense building. It takes almost an hour before the killing starts.

#5 Videodrome (1983) 7 Oct.
My second Cronenberg film. This film holds up very well and its themes are even more relevant today.

#6 Alligator (1980) 7 Oct.
A decent over the top Jaws rip off.

#7 Street Trash (1987) 7 Oct.
It’s trash all right, the good kind of trash. The special effects are over the top and it has some very vulgar humor, like
playing catch with a dismembered penis

#8 The Cabin in the Woods (2012) 7 Oct.
I was pleasantly surprised. It was totally not what I had expected. I was expecting some serious horror, not a comedy.

#9 White Zombie (1932) 7 Oct.
I wasn't paying much attention, sorry. I was a bit tired and multitasking. Might give it a second chance someday.

Next on the list is probably gonna be Lisa and the Devil. I saw it last month, but I wasn't really awake.

Previous films:
#1 The ‘Burbs (1989)
#2 Theatre of Blood (1973)

John Dunbar

correct about everything
9. Scanners: I've seen the .gif before, but first time seeing the movie. I would sum it up as fascinating, but flawed. It was hard to care about any of the people in this, and especially the guy who played Cameron (who, unless I'm imagining it, looks exactly like the tennis player Richard Gasquet) did not convince me at all.
Don't understand why he ended up cowering under that blanket if he won.

10. Triangle: Saw a lot of good reviews and discussion for this, but I thought it was kind of shit. Large masses of water scare me so a ghost ship should have done the trick, but I felt pretty bleh about the whole thing, and I'm pretty sure the movie cheated the audience something fierce.
I'm pretty sure this movie only makes sense if the leading lady had a sudden case of amnesia, but no way you're just forgetting that shit

11. The Stuff: It was pretty good, a nice distraction but nothing special. Some nice effects though not very many, and there were some funny lines. Not the crowning achievement of 80s comedy horror, but worth checking out as a curiosity with its bizarre leading man. Feel they could have done a lot more with the idea of the Stuff itself, but I guess they were working on a budget.

12. Let Me In: I've seen the original years ago, and I think this is pretty much a scene-for-scene remake, except they wisely cut out the ridiculous cat scene. Judging this movie by its own merits it's very good, but as a remake one might take the cynical stance and say it only exists because Americans don't like to read subtitles. When it comes to being a horror movie its biggest flaw is that it's not scary at all, and it actually works better as a drama, which was also the case with the original.

Here we go....

WEEK 1

#1. Near Dark - Kathryn Bigalow does a great job directing two of the most memorable scenes that I've seen in horror. The
bar scene and the hotel shootout
are immaculate and make up for the shortcomings of the film (the opening and ending). Great to see young Adrian Pasdar and Bill Paxton do their thing and was quite a bit better than I had expected it to be even with it's high praise from friends. 7/10

#2. Bram Stoker's Dracula - This could have been a great film. It had a ton going for it. The cinematography, sets, costumes, make-up are all great. Even the story is quite faithful to the novel and I found a lot to like about it, even the cheese 90s special effects. That being said, the acting and casting is extremely puzzling. Gary Oldman puts in a pretty good performance as Dracula but everyone else is just awful. Keanu Reeves puts on this awful accent, Winona Rider looked completely bored and was her usual awful self, Tom Wait's character was useless and Anthony Hopkins puts in the worst performance of his career being miscast as Van Helsing attempting comic relief. Oh, what could have been... minus the acting, this film isn't bad so I'm not going to base it solely on that. 6/10

#3. White Zombie - I was really looking forward to this film, especially as someone who loves early film. That being said, I can't help but feel a bit disappointed but overall I enjoyed it. Bela Lugasi really saves this film and it's great whenever he's on screen. The sets are nice but as expected there's little variety in their use. The story of the film is a bit formulaic and not a whole lot happens.
The women gets turned into a zombie by a voodoo zombie powder and she stares a lot and plays piano, that's about the extent of it.
Like a majority of films in the 20s and 30s, the climax of the film is incredible short and those rushed endings never really sit well with me even though they are commonplace for that era. 6/10

#4. House - I'll be honest, I was not expecting much coming in not knowing anything about this film. Wow! What a great comedy-horror film. It was goofy when it had to be but also took a bit of a serious turn towards the end. The supporting characters, especially the next-door neighbor, are all great. The monster were all fun and looked awesome, most notably Big Ben. I had figured it would be a typical haunted house film but I loved that Roger Cobb is a struggling writer working on a novel about his time in Vietnam during the war.
Losing the kid in the house was a bit of an overplayed troupe when it comes to horror but it worked well in this film, especially with his relationship with his estranged wife.
7/10

#5 Ginger Snaps - My first rematch of the marathon. I love that this is not only a werewolf film but also a coming of age story. Katherine Isabelle is just awesome as Ginger and the supporting cast is a bit of a mixed bag from unintentionally cheesy to eccentrically crazy. Although this film came out in 2000, it's essentially a product of the 90s and with it comes that lovable strangeness (wacky parents, 90s high school, stoner vans). Great amount a gore and the tale of two inseparable sisters coming into their own and moving apart is something that I've experienced myself (having a twin brother). 8/10

#6. The Toxic Avenger Part II - The Toxic Avenger is one of my all-time favorite B-movies, especially due to living and growing up in New Jersey. I've held off one watching the sequels since I've heard less than good things about them over the years but I felt this was as good a time as ever to check one out. So... yeah... It's not that good. A lot of charm is lost on this sequel and besides a couple cool fight scenes and gore there isn't much to it. The story isn't anything to take note of (even in terms of being ridiculous) and it felt like they moved the plot to
Japan
just so Lloyd and the crew could take a vacation. Could have been worse I suppose. 5/10

#7. A Tale of Two Sisters - 2nd rematch of the marathon. This film is just great. Crazy mystery that leaves you guessing throughout the film. The scare shots are done beautifully with incredible acting by both leading ladies. There's so much going on in this film but the base story is that two sisters get back from spending time away from how and they discover that a ghost is lurking in their home while deal with their cruel step-mother. That's the initial basis to the story but
not really
. Although I like what I've seen by Kim Jee-woon this is clearly his masterpiece as a writer and director. It's one of those films that sticks with you as you contemplate what really happened and why. 8/10

#8. Fright Night - Great film that takes a familiar concept (vampire moves in next door) and just runs with it. Maybe a pioneer of this concept at the time but it doesn't really do too much special but it's just damned entertaining. The supporting characters are all pretty crazy and have their own unique personalities, especially Evil Ed and the antagonists are menacing and ruthless. I really liked the beginning of the film and it's introduction tot he characters, 80s nostalgia is just great. It's a pretty predictable film as far as plot goes so I felt as though it dragged a bit towards the end. 7/10

Well, that's it for week 1!
(even though I started Sept 29th.. shh)

Film 8 – 7 Days (DVD)

All my life has been marked by violence, and more of it isn’t going to help me.

gR1pxZS.png

A bloody, brutal, tragic story of revenge, 7 Days is frequently difficult to watch. That’s not because of the violence, or the gore however. It’s because the spectacle of a good person being brutalised by his own desire for vengeance following the rape and murder of his young daughter is not fun to witness. Unlike many of cinema’s payback fantasy heroes, the protagonist of 7 Days , Dr Bruno Hamel (brilliantly portrayed by Claude Legault) is never having a good time. You can tell that he knows, from very early on, that his actions will not make him feel any better, but he cannot stop himself. He has a duty to fulfil, but it brings him no pleasure, and this is something even his hapless victim realises.

Unfortunately, the film nukes the fridge quite spectacularly in the first ten minutes of the final act, destroying all sympathy for the protagonist, and the viewer's suspension of disbelief. While it’s easy to see the film-makers' intentions with this section of the movie, the same effect could have been achieved, the same message conveyed, in far less ridiculous, less melodramatic ways. Sadly this short period of unnecessary nonsense took me right out of the film, and I never got back into it until the abrupt, anti-climatic end, which was a shame.

Verdict: Challenging and thought provoking for three quarters of its length, then silly.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
#7 Cannibal Holocaust

Definitely well-made, the atmosphere and some sequences are just top-notch intense film-making, but I have to admit the film definitely unsettled me on greater levels than what my tolerance level could handle. Some of the
rape scenes were a tad too much and ensure I will never ever watch the film again
. I also have to admit the
hut burning scene
is honestly beautiful in terms of it's execution and how the music adds this sad little irony to it. In fact the music is just PERFECT. Worth watching for that alone.

In terms of the deeper message behind the film, I think that's the most poorly handled part of the whole film, simply because it involves a rather heavy-handed "human nature is inherently savage" message without really exploring the nuances and complexities of such a grand statement, there's no real attempt at understanding either the psychology of both the indigenous tribes and the documentary film-makers it's all really the portrayal of a caricature.

Or maybe I'm just expecting too much from what's basically a exploitation film? ;p

Day 7 - Home Movie

Fuck this shit, I´ll never have kids. A family moves to an isolated house on the country and starts making little home movies. At first everything seems alright but soon the kids start having some disturbing behavior. Both Adrian Pasdar and Cady McClain as the father and mother of the kids, they have an interesting dynamic as one is a pastor and the other a psychologist. I liked how bleak the ending was
both tried to explain the behavior of their children and what really is evil through their own beliefs but in the end there wasn´t really an explanation, evil didn´t need an explanation or a reason to exist.
Good, creepy movie.

Day 1 - House On Haunted Hill (1959)
Day 2 - House On Haunted Hill (1999)
Day 3 - Oculus
Day 4 - Silent House

Day 5 - Cry_Wolf
Day 6 - I Am A Ghost
Day 7 - Home Movie

Cuphead

Banned
About to watch Resolution..I know absolutely nothing about this movie except that I should know absolutely nothing before going into it.

Snake

Night 6

OHI8ksf.png

Better than the reviews made it out to be, but don't go in expecting anything special. This is not a movie for ogling at cheerleaders as you might expect, but nor is it a a successful feminist subversion of expectations. All Cheerleaders survives with the help of a few bright spots in its cast but doesn't achieve much in the way of thematic success, and has a lot less entertainment value than it needed. No scares, but some decent tension if you can get partially invested in the characters. Overall, there was potential here but it comes off as half-baked.
And not surprisingly, considering that its end declares that it needs a sequel (which I am not sure is forthcoming)
4.5/10

SAiSR5a.png

This film has received a mostly negative reception around here, and while I understand and share much of that, I'd hesitate to throw it completely under the bus. The point is clear: placing the viewer in a fictionalized present-day Jonestown, with all the horror that comes with it. And since it's not a direct re-enactment, things can theoretically diverge in some important ways. The problem: many of the scenes are in fact almost direct re-enactments. So the question becomes, are you better off just watching a documentary instead? That's a valid choice, but there were enough redeeming qualities to keep me from writing off The Sacrament.

In terms of setting the stage for what is to come, The Sacrament does a very good job. I felt the sympathy. I felt the dread. The Jim Jones stand-in is perfect for what he is given. But as things reach a crescendo, the whole package felt less appealing. The key aspects which made Jonestown such a tragedy are there, and as a mainstream horror movie, that's not necessarily what you want. Despite being respectful towards its subjects on a personal level, you will still likely feel discomfort stemming from the fact that a real tragedy is being exploited. A mixed bag for sure, but not quite the disappointment from Ti West that I was expecting.
5.5/10

gabbo

Day 7 - Home Movie

Fuck this shit, I´ll never have kids. A family moves to an isolated house on the country and starts making little home movies. At first everything seems alright but soon the kids start having some disturbing behavior. Both Adrian Pasdar and Cady McClain as the father and mother of the kids, they have an interesting dynamic as one is a pastor and the other a psychologist. I liked how bleak the ending was
both tried to explain the behavior of their children and what really is evil through their own beliefs but in the end there wasn´t really an explanation, evil didn´t need an explanation or a reason to exist.
Good, creepy movie.

Day 1 - House On Haunted Hill (1959)
Day 2 - House On Haunted Hill (1999)
Day 3 - Oculus
Day 4 - Silent House

Day 5 - Cry_Wolf
Day 6 - I Am A Ghost
Day 7 - Home Movie

Saw this ages ago at Toronto After Dark, and it still holds up as down-right terrifying.

Jal

SlsDWdl.jpg

Here Comes The Devil (Ahí va el diablo) [2012]

Two kids go missing on a walk by themselves and come back different. I loved the story of this one but it was full of plot holes and the director inspired by 70's exploitation used a crash zoom? that seemed really out of place.

6/10

Gameboy415

1. Lifeforce (Blu-Ray)
2. Sleepaway Camp (Blu-Ray)
3. White Zombie (Netflix)
4. The Video Dead (Blu-Ray)
5. Prince of Darkness (Blu-Ray)

6. Tormented 3D (Blu-Ray)

51yfSYibFRL.jpg

-I'm still not sure what to think of this one. It was just....bizarre.
The visuals were pretty cool but it seemed like it could've ended 3 or 4 times before the actual ending.

Snaku

Banned

#07 - White Zombie (1932)

Viewed via:

I've always been aware of White Zombie's existence; being a fan of both Béla Lugosi and Rob Zombie. But for whatever reason I never sat myself down to watch it, until neogaf mandated it. Unfortunately I don't really have much to say about the film. It's an interesting look into the original Hollywood zombie lore before Romero changed the game forever. Lugosi is wonderful to watch as usual. The atmosphere of the film is quite unique, and definitely adds character to a picture dominated by zombies and characters who may as well be zombies. I am glad that I finally took the time to view the film, but I think once was enough.

Final Viewed List
#01 - Leprechaun Origins (2014)
#02 - Annabelle (2014)
#03 - Frankenhooker (1990)
#04 - Wrestlemaniac (2006)
#05 - Phantoms (1998)
#06 - Clownhouse (1989)
#07 - White Zombie (1932)
#08 - The Possession (2012)
#09 - The Monster Squad (1987)
#10 - Sharknado 2: The Second One (2014)

izakq

Saw4final.jpg

Movie #7 - Saw IV - TiVo

I've only saw (wah, wah) the first movie of the Saw series and that's it. So yeah, I know I am seeing the films out of order, but they showed IV, V, and VI in a marathon and I Tivo'd it ahead of time. Compared to the first film, it really didn't compare. The traps were alright and the plot was all over the place. But as a whole, it was just there. Thumbs down.

Excision_poster.jpg

Movie #8 - Excision

I heard good things about this movie, but I just couldn't get into it. I was expecting all sorts of crazy, revenge surgery performed by Pauline multiple times, but we only get one. I guess I had high, gory expectations for this one. Thumbs down.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
1) Annabelle (Theater)
2) Carrie ('76, Netflix US)
3) Carrie ('13, Netflix US)
4) Scream 3 (Netflix US)
5) Hostel (Netflix Mexico)
6)The Woman in Black (Netflix Mexico): 3/5 I was this close to turning off this film mid way through. I felt it wasn't scary or interesting to continue. I'm glad I didn't. Around the start of the second half (or when Daniel is alone), it gets really good and creepy. I jumped a few times. Not the greatest thing in the world, but it is a decent horror movie.

J-Roderton

9 of 31

The Town That Dreaded Sundown (1976)

Major waste of time. I was hoping for a decent slasher. Pretty crappy performances in parts and a lighthearted tone during a ton of scenes. Like watching The Andy Griffith Show with an occasional murder. No memorable slasher scenes. There's also a cheesy narrator, too. I think I'm going to stay away from Netflix for a while.

1/5

gabbo

October 7th Movie #7 American Mary
Well, I did pick it based mainly on the fact Katherine Isabelle was the star, so I shouldn't be too shocked that a Canadian slasher was a bit light on scares. in fact only the vaginal surgery scene got to me. Not bad, but nothing special. Katherine Isabelle always entertaining and still hot. Man, Ginger Snaps was a long time ago.

Movie #7: Sleepaway Camp.

Well that sure is some kind of ending. I think it tries to do some interesting things with the genre and is successful most of the time but I think some of themes and ideas were a little half-baked. Some good gore and plenty of cheese. I enjoyed it and am really glad that I managed to go into this completely blind and expecting a by the numbers '80s slasher flick. I don't think I would have liked it as much if I knew to expect some kind of twist.

6. Dawn of the Dead (1978)

I wound up seeing the Director's Cut, which is actually the cut shown to film festivals before being released theatrically, which George Romero actually didn't prefer. Still, I enjoyed it more than the first. There's tense scenes and there's fun scenes. The best part is where they just indulge themselves on the mall's supplies, which is something I would love to do, and turn the place into a home. However, it was all too good to last...

inm8num2

#7 - May (2002)
220px-May.JPG

Now that was one fucked up psychological horror. Well done and rather disturbing in parts, but held together by being a rather intimate character study. Highly recommended!

Been taking part but haven't actually posted anything yet. I'll do quick write ups of the last two. Only at five total so far though, cause damn that pace is killer.

#4) Absentia

absentia_va_WTetBA_Poster.jpg

Saw this movie pop up in this thread a few times so I thought I'd give it a go. I had always assumed it was D-tier Netflix trash, so I was surprised to see it was actually a decent movie. Obviously low budget, but it uses what it has really well. My biggest complaint was that it never got truly scary. At least I never felt bored though, which seems like decent praise considering how character-driven it is for a horror movie. 6/10

#5) Devil
Devil-Poster-Short-4-8-10-kc.jpg

I had heard this was bad going in, though I still wanted to approach it with an open mind. Basic story revolves people getting trapped on an elevator, then getting killed off one by one. There's decent tension in the middle that harkens back to The Thing once there's only a couple characters left, but that's really the only saving grace of the movie. The deaths themselves are uninteresting, the characters are walking cliches, and the big reveal felt entirely pointless by the end. 2/10

Oreoleo

#4) Absentia

absentia_va_WTetBA_Poster.jpg

Saw this movie pop up in this thread a few times so I thought I'd give it a go. I had always assumed it was D-tier Netflix trash, so I was surprised to see it was actually a decent movie. Obviously low budget, but it uses what it has really well. My biggest complaint was that it never got truly scary. At least I never felt bored though, which seems like decent praise considering how character-driven it is for a horror movie. 6/10

I really loved this movie when I saw it last month (And realized I've been incorrectly titling it 'In Absentia' ever since), but wtf is that picture? Totally gives the wrong idea of what the movie is gonna be like
not to mention kinda spoils a plot point of the movie

GhaleonEB

4) Lair of the White Worm (Netflix streaming)

Low budget 80's trash from Ken Russell. Gonzo dream sequences, people who appear with bag pipes and hand grenades out of nowhere and a young Hugh Grant can't salvage one of the worst scripts and collection of actors I've ever seen. I went in expecting trash from Ken Russell and I got it. Blech.

WoodWERD

#8 - Halloween (2007, Netflix)

Rob Zombie really likes his cast of psychopaths! You'll see a lot of familiar faces from The Devil's Rejects and even Danny Trejo. I thought the best parts of the movie were with young Michael, the kid was pretty damned convincing. The rest doesn't quite live up to the original for me, but overall I thought it was decent.

Gripe:
McDowell goes from getting his eyes gouged, to the side of his head smashed the next scene, to practically no blood on his face the last time we see him

big ander

#6: Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer

Best when the horror elements are incidental, when it feels like if Henry could hold a steady job he could give up killing no sweat. In those moments Henry strangely has more in common with Breaking Away or Linklater or even Paul Newman films. Lower class layabouts in the Midwest scrapping and wandering and acting on (murderous) impulses. The lack of character psychoanalysis at that time is great too, sets the film apart. So does Rooker's abnormal performance. Eventually the film sheds much of its offbeat nature for perversion cliches and shock footage and what's supposed to be a downer twist (and is instead much less intriguing than the first couple fake-out endings).

#1 White Zombie (10/1)
#2 Strange Circus (10/2)
#3 Night of the Creeps (10/3)
#4 Event Horizon (10/5)
#5 Black Sabbath (10/6)

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Creepshow 2 is a bad movie.

The Hitchhiker is an ok short at best and the other two have no redeeming values. Ugh. I will need to pick a classic for my next choice in order to cleanse our horror pallates. Hopefully my wife picks better tomorrow.

3) What Have You Done To Solange? (1972) *** (of 5) personal collection via XBMC
I've seen this hailed as a masterpiece, one of the best giallos, etc, but I found it a mild disappointment. {snip}

Yeah, I watched Solange last year and was really disappointed by the lack of horror content. It's pretty good mystery movie, but as a horror movie? Not really. Aside from the lack of horror, my biggest complaint was that the final act was just too predictable and it played out exactly as I had expected.

I'm not a person that generally tries to solve the mystery while watching and prefer to just watch it unfold, so Solange's lack of surprises was pretty disappointing to me. Still worth watching, but I wouldn't put it among the best gialli.

Man, I did the first one and meant to do this one, but its already the 7th. :(
October snuck up on me this year...

It's not too late! JOIN US JOIN US.

If you don't want to catch up, that's understandable, but you can still participate if you want. No need to try to get 31 films done.

Please put your score for each movie (im asking this but i didnt put on my post)

Im getting recomendations from this thread

I'm not a fan of giving movies a number score, but I'll be sure to include if I recommend it or not at the end of my reviews.

#6. The Toxic Avenger Part II - The Toxic Avenger is one of my all-time favorite B-movies, especially due to living and growing up in New Jersey. I've held off one watching the sequels since I've heard less than good things about them over the years but I felt this was as good a time as ever to check one out. So... yeah... It's not that good. A lot of charm is lost on this sequel and besides a couple cool fight scenes and gore there isn't much to it. The story isn't anything to take note of (even in terms of being ridiculous) and it felt like they moved the plot to
Japan
just so Lloyd and the crew could take a vacation. Could have been worse I suppose. 5/10

Is it just me, or does Toxic Avenger Part II have almost the exact same plot as The Wolverine?

Day 7 - Home Movie
{snip}
Good, creepy movie.

That sounds pretty good, adding it to my list. Luckily the DVD is pretty cheap.

9 of 31

The Town That Dreaded Sundown (1976)

Major waste of time. I was hoping for a decent slasher. Pretty crappy performances in parts and a lighthearted tone during a ton of scenes. Like watching The Andy Griffith Show with an occasional murder. No memorable slasher scenes. There's also a cheesy narrator, too. I think I'm going to stay away from Netflix for a while.

1/5

Yup, I did that one last year too. HUGE disappointment. I though it was some lost horror masterpiece so I blind bought the Blu-ray. What a waste of money.

Top Bottom