• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror 4 |OT| The October Movie Marathon

kunonabi

Film #9: Elvira: Mistress of the Dark via Hulu

The movie is more of comedy than horror film but damn is it funny. It's the perfect story for the character and She is just a joy from start to finish. The casting is pretty good even if the rest cast doesn't have a whole lot to do. Elvira looks absolutely gorgeous in this film which makes the kids obsession with her really work.Loved the film as a kid and still love it now

watch

Film #10: Elvira's Haunted Hills via Hulu

A much more recent film and pushes the horror spoofing to the forefront. The humor is a little or miss and feels a lot like Married with Children at points with some of the more cartoony moments. Still enjoyable but nowhere near as good as her first theatrical effort.

watch

Film #11: The Children via hulu

Started off kind of interesting but the characters aren't great aside from the Sheriff and features some really strange behavior even for a horror film. Not much to say otherwise

Film #12: The Blob via hulu

Neat effects, likable characters, and a pretty well done film for the most part. The child actor was terrible though and the pacing was kind of odd.

watch

Film #13: Antarctic Journal via hulu

Korean film about a group of explorers who end up following the doomed footsteps of another british expedition. Movie started off really well but the last act just didn't do it for me. Still one of the better movies I watched though.

pass

inm8num2

#12 - Zombi 2 (1979)
dTb7KjU.jpg

Delivers the gore and has a great soundtrack, but feels lacking in suspense at times.

Full viewing list

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Film 13: Demon Seed (1977)
Method of Viewing: DVD
Bonus Viewing: The Simpsons Treehouse of Horror segment "Ultrahouse 3000".

fegDSwj.jpg

Have to say, I love your posts. I grew up watching the ToH episodes and its great to see the films they were based on. I didn't always get the references growing up.

Tuvoc

So far I've watched...

1. Sleepaway Camp (1983)
2. Open House )1987)
3. Smiley (2012)
4. Rites of Passage (2012)
6. Halloween VI: The Curse of Michael Myers (1995)
7. Chopping Mall (1986)
8. The Funhouse (1981)
9. Feast (2005)

Move #12: The Amityville Horror.

I've seen bits and pieces but never seen the whole thing. I thought it was okay. Moved a little too fast for my liking and introduces plot points and then kind of forgets about them. Some good jump scares (the cat one spilled my beer) and that house is just so creepy looking.

Enjoyed it but I think it is one of the lesser haunted house films from that era.

Is Amy at the end suppose to be sinister or does the actress look creepy and they couldn't get her to not smile? The end doesn't make it seem clear or I missed something.

OJ0yod7.jpg

Admit it. The ONLY reason this is widely regarded as superior to the first one is solely due to Gareth Evans (Director of The Raid films) entry.

dJ4Z7wG.jpg

Despite being regarded as worst than the first I didn't find this to be all that bad. It's only crime was only containing three segments. I definitely agree that "The Raft" was the best segment.

HrhljJm.jpg

This film was okay. I was kind of annoyed that it was suppose to take place in Haiti but outside of the voodoo dolls and the over-representation of black characters you wouldn't guess that.

Well, my horrorthon has been interesting so far this year. I've broken my main rule by having watched nothing but movies I've already seen. Reason being is that I hold off on all horror until October and now that the month is here I'm watching all of these movies that I haven't got a chance to see in years. Also, due to my tight school/work schedule I never even got around to making a list. One thing that has been great is that the majority of my viewings have been with others who are experiencing these films for the first time (Like I"m supposed to be doing). It's nice to see some first time reactions and to hopefully pass on this tradition to others. Since I haven't posted any reviews yet I'll just do some quick write-ups for a few films at a time until I catch up.

P.S. I've started to get a list together for some first time views for the later half of the month, so I won't be completely cheating.

Steamlord

#18 - Phenomena

Well...that was nuts and I loved it. It's interesting that Argento went back to a more conventional giallo style with Tenebrae, then went the opposite direction with this one. I could have done with less 80s butt rock though.

#19 - Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon

I enjoyed most of it, but the final act was really disappointing. I was on board with the concept of what they were trying to do with the finale, but the execution failed miserably.
I'm totally fine with setting a story in a strange bizarro world, but you can't flip-flop once you've chosen that. You can't make characters arbitrarily change their morals around or become smarter or dumber as the plot demands. If they had kept things consistent, the crew would not have changed their minds like killing people was suddenly a bad thing, and they wouldn't have fallen for Leslie's master plan so easily.
Still, it was a pretty fun movie, and seeing Robert Englund fill the role of Donald Pleasence was a trip.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
#11 Grabbers

Wasn't too fond of this one. Found the whole thing kinda boring. I went to poop and missed the climax. Didn't bother rewinding.

#12 Re-Animator

I've watched this quite a few times and don't get much out of it anymore, but I wanted to see my gf's reaction to it. Totally worth it. She really enjoyed it, despite the gore. Cringed very hard during the infamous head scene.

Only seen 2 horror films so far and they were both pretty poor.

Deliver us from Evil
Kinda meh. Not particularly scary, and the only thing it had going for it (inspired by true events!) was, as usual, a load of bullshit.

The Devils Hand
Low budget, boring, not in the least bit scary.

Divius

UO7Jb5E.jpg

#08 - Sisters
DePalma's ode to Alfred Hitchcock with a touch of disturbing giallo influence, Sisters is a twisted tale rich with thematic layers and plenty of creepiness. Loved the direction (DePalma imitating Hitchcock is just something I love) and the performances are great as well, but despite (or because of) the twists and turns the plot isn't its strongest point. 7/10

Oct. 12

Scarsofdracula.jpg

You know this one's going to be a little different right from the start, when Dracula is revived by a bat (a rather poorly animated rubber bat, at that) puking blood on his ashes where they lie on the floor of the ruined church from the finale of the last film. (But wait, didn't the "church" destroy the Count in the last film when the power of God is manifest within? Oh, never mind...) This is the last of Hammer's "period" Dracula films, and they were trying to drag the Hammer formula into the '70s by lingering on increasingly graphic blood and violence. Unfortunately, some of the gore effects aren't really up to challenge of extended screen-time, and they mutilate Dracula's character in the process so the Prince of Darkness is reduced to a knife wielding slasher a la Psycho and a torturer with a fondness for keeping impaled bodies hanging on the wall of his bedroom. There are a couple interesting moments - Dracula climbing spider-like up the exterior castle wall is straight out of Stoker and a terrific shot as brief as it is - and Christopher Lee does have more to do and say in this film than any since Horror of Dracula, but by the time the king of the vampires is killed (
not by the hero, but by a fortuitous bolt of lightening, while he's preparing to impale the hero with an iron spear
) I was good with that. Probably the weakest film of the series so far, imho.

View List 2014 - The Hammer Horror edition (Dracula week)
  1. White Zombie (1932)
  2. The Curse of Frankenstein (1957)
  3. The Revenge of Frankenstein (1959)
  4. Evil of Frankenstein (1964)
  5. Frankenstein Created Woman (1967)
  6. Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed (1969)
  7. Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell (1974)
  8. Horror of Dracula (1958)
  9. Dracula Prince of Darkness (1966)
  10. Dracula Has Risen From The Grave (1968)
  11. Taste the Blood of Dracula (1969)
  12. Scars of Dracula (1970)

Divius

X0ANIjN.jpg

#09 - La casa dalle finestre che ridono AKA The House of the Laughing Windows
Not at all what I was expecting (or hoping for), leaning more towards the 'mystery whodunnit' than the 'disturbing slasher' side of the giallo genre. Luckily it does it quite well. It goes through the motions as expected, but there is a creepiness to the atmosphere and the climax is quite wtf-awesome. 6/10

izakq

Movie #14 - V/H/S/2 (2013) - Netflix

Eh, not that great. I liked the first one better. First two shorts were meh. The third one was ok, right until that last word was spoken
(papa)
. That was just ridiculous. The final one was ok, but I was more entertained by the shenanigans of the kids ("Babies making babies!") So overall, thumbs down.

impact

Banned
Next film: May was on my list for last year, but it was bumped due to a scheduling error that I didn't even realize until I was already well into the marathon. I think I owe it to myself to fix this once and for all.

I just watched this man, it's really good I thought. Definitely not your typical horror but the end scenes are quite disturbing. The lead actress is amazing.

Gameboy415

1. Lifeforce (Blu-Ray)
2. Sleepaway Camp (Blu-Ray)
3. White Zombie (Netflix)
4. The Video Dead (Blu-Ray)
5. Prince of Darkness (Blu-Ray)
6. Tormented 3D (Blu-Ray)
7. Night of the Demons (Blu-Ray)
8. From Beyond (Blu-Ray)
9. Body Bags (Blu-Ray)

10. The Dungeon Master (AKA: Ragewar) (DVD)
11. Cellar Dweller (DVD)

-I watched both of these back-to-back last night and they were both pretty good! I really liked the premise of both films and the special effects were pretty good for their time.
I wasn't home much this past Friday or Saturday so I'm 1 day behind at this point but I'm going to try to watch the other 2 movies in this DVD set tonight to get caught up!

I was watching the Rob Zombie Halloween remake last night, but I just turned it off 2/3 of the way through. It was so bad I just couldn't take it.

The beginning of the movie was already really bad (why does everyone in rob zombie's movies always talk like a sex obsessed, depraved, 14 year old?), but even though I think de-mystifying Meyers and making him more human utterly ruins his mystique, the opening sections were at least an original take on the material, and it was clear that Zombie had a passion for the story and wanted to make it his own.

But then half-way through the movie just becomes a straight remake of Halloween, so it was both terrible and utterly soulless.

It's clear that Zombie has a pretty good eye (some nice shots in here), but fuuuuck he can't write for shit, and seems to be utterly incompetent at directing actors.

On the plus side, Malcolm McDowell hams it up, so that was kind of fun I guess.

Ridley327

WEEK THREE (Oct 12): WOMEN IN HORROR

You know, I thought I was going to have more to say about this film than just not liking it all that much. I think where I would place my biggest problems with it is that it seems all over the place with what it wants to do, and most of it is ineffective. Angela Bettis does a damn good job in the title role, but everything surrounding her has this tendency to be dialed up too high, like Anna Faris being distractingly hammy, or whatever the fuck they were thinking with James Duval's small role. There's some fun to be had here (including an amusingly sweet short film presentation and May's killer critique thereafter), but I feel like the stretches of quirkiness make the horror that eventually follows a bit hollow. I get the feeling that this would have made for a much more effective short film, as it would have had much more of a focus than what we had at feature-length. More restraint would have gone a long way.

obin_gam

#13. Nosferatu
yyZInKC.jpg

Yesterday was the original, today it was Herzog's turn. It's slow as hell, but it manages to fill in a couple of gaps in the story and while Schreck played the count as a full on monster, Kinski makes him a tragic sad and lonely humanoid being, which makes for a deeper connection to some extent. I would have liked if Herzog kept Murnaus names though - I feel the Nosferatu story has enough original elements to it to earn the names Orlock, Hutter, Ellen and Knock.

All in all, I like the original more, just for the no-nonsens monster thing. But I also love the remakes ending twist. For all the slowness and melodramaticness it has, the way Herzog chooses to end this film is hilariously awesome!

Film 14: The Fly (1958)
Method of Viewing: Netflix
Bonus Viewing: The Simpsons Treehouse of Horror segment "Fly vs. Fly."

Z3dJQC0.jpg

Its Monday and so continues my list of horror films that were parodied on The Simpsons Halloween episodes. Only a few days left in my list so I'll try to watch as many films as time allows. The Fly is one of my favorites and I try to watch every year. I haven't seen the 1986 remake but this version is easily accessible for me. The ending is still very chilling. The quote "I'll never forget that scream as long as I live," is correct when said by the Inspector. This is a great film and I highly recommend it.

Its Monday and so continues my list of horror films that were parodied on The Simpsons Halloween episodes. Only a few days left in my list so I'll try to watch as many films as time allows. The Fly is one of my favorites and I try to watch every year. I haven't seen the 1986 remake but this version is easily accessible for me. The ending is still very chilling. The quote "I'll never forget that scream as long as I live," is correct when said by the Inspector. This is a great film and I highly recommend it.

Oh man....this should be at the top of your list. Cronenberg's remake is amazing.

The Beyond (1981)

Dir. Lucio Fulci

51YAWQZAA4L.jpg

I enjoyed it but didn't get into it as much as I thought I would, usually the weirder "arty" horror movies like this are right up my alley, but the disjointed nature of the storytelling didn't jive with me as well as I wanted it to. Being Fulci, gore effects are in full force here, with plenty of acid face melting goodness for the whole family. A good watch if you're not looking for a traditional story arc, and if you like ridiculous amounts of gore.

Amer (2009)

Dirs. Bruno Forzani, Hélène Cattet

amer-movie-review-2.jpg

I loved this, loved loved loved. Some of the most striking stylistic imagery I've seen in a horror movie, heck, film in general. Very little dialogue in this one, instead the directors choose to focus on the visual style and sound design, the latter of which is phenomenal. The foley work turns into an almost musique concrète collage between sound and image. I don't want to spoil anything for those that haven't seen it, but if you like the experimental stuff and Italian style this is a must watch. Goosebumps.

Ridley327

Oh man....this should be at the top of your list. Cronenberg's remake is amazing.

I mentioned this in my review for Dead Ringers, but Cronenberg's remake of The Fly is on an entirely different plane of existence from its source material. That's not even a disparaging remark against the original, either.

Film 15 – Wither aka The Cabin of the Dead (DVD)

Come on, you fucker! Come on!

cUNdS8a.png

To call this stylish, gruesome film a homage to The Evil Dead would be incorrect. It’s actually a remake. I mean, not officially of course, but to all intents and purposes, Wither is The Evil Dead. Except in Swedish. What’s more, it’s very much better than the official remake that came out a while back. I mean much, much better.

The plot… well, you know the plot. It’s the Evil Dead plot, with a few minor changes. There’s no tree rape in this film for a start, and once the group of ridiculously good looking young people start turning bad they’re more zombie than demon. The cause of their problems is also changed, becoming a creature from Swedish folklore, a Vittra (or ‘Wither’ in English) that is said to live underground. But apart from that… well, it’s The Evil Dead.

The cast are all pretty good (particularly Patrik Almkvist who looks like Milo Ventimiglia channelling Bruce Campbell), the gore is plentiful and extremely well done and the film is gorgeous to look at.

Verdict: Not original by any stretch of the imagination, but a cracking good film nonetheless. Definitely recommended.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
20. Bubba Ho-Tep: Fun movie, and some of Elvis's inner monologue was surprisingly moving, did not expect some real talk from a film like this. Bruce Campbell should have been a bigger star.

21. The Dentist: Dentistry is an obvious premise for a horror film, and I remember the back cover of the VHS tape scaring me in the local video shop as a kid. Only now got around to watching it. I feel they could have gone further with dental related horror, as there really was only two major scenes with that, and as such it was somewhat disappointing. Those scenes were still pretty good, and the crazy dentist was a fun character.

22. Some Guy Who Kills People: Pretty enjoyable with some nice lines, but it became pretty predictable even though I feel the movie pretty much tried to cheat the audience. The sheriff stole the show every scene he was in.

HXy55oE.jpg

10) Xtro (1982) (Oct 10)

Xtro is another movie I was introduced to during one of the previous marathons here so I thought I'd give it a go this year.

The plot follows the family of a man who was abducted by aliens. His wife, believing he has simply run out on them, moves on with her life, but their son knows the truth. When the man returns 3 years later, things begin to get... awkward.

Xtro seems to be considered one of those so-bad-it's-good movies, but I honestly didn't think it was a bad movie to begin with. Sure, it's a low budget b-movie, but it's got an original story line, some pretty good practical effects and some really cool sequences. That
birthing
scene... yikes.

With some pretty over-the-top and silly sequences, it kind of reminded me of House and the original Troll, only much more mean spirited than those rather playful movies. I really enjoyed it.

Recommended.

Final Viewed List (2014):
01) White Zombie (1932) (Oct 1)
02) The Vampire Lovers (1970) (Oct 2)
03) Vampyros Lesbos (1971) (Oct 3)
04) She Killed in Ecstasy (Sie tötete in Ekstase) (1971) (Oct 4)
05) All the Colors of the Dark (Tutti i colori del buio) (1972) (Oct 5)
06) Flesh for Frankenstein (1973) (Oct 6)
07) Blood for Dracula (1974) (Oct 7)
08) Death Bed: The Bed that Eats (1977) (Oct 9)
09) Parasite (1982) (Oct 9)
10) Xtro (1982) (Oct 10)

SYS5fuQ.jpg

11) The Hunger (1983) (Oct 11)

The Hunger is my 4th and final vampire movie for the marathon. Inadvertently, they all included lesbian themes on one way or another so I guess I got a little unintentional theme going.

In Tony Scott's big screen debut, The Hunger follows Miriam Blaylock (Catherine Deneuve), a vampire and her lover, John (David Bowie). While Miriam is truly immortal, the vampire companions she makes eventually begin to rapidly age and wither away. As the aging symptoms begin to show in John, they seek the help of Sarah Roberts (Susan Sarandon), a doctor who is researching premature aging in humans.

Within the first 5 or 6 minutes of this one I was treated to Bauhaus, David Bowie, nudity, cool blue 80s lighting and a friggin monkey! I was ready to call it recommended right there. The movie just oozes that slick, artistic 80s feel and Scott fills it with atmosphere and style. Unfortunately, it does feel a little style over substance at times and drags a little big during the middle. Once
David Bowie's character was out of the picture
it really slowed down for me.

Despite that, it was still an enjoyable movie with some excellent performances and makeup effects. The biggest flaw however is the ending,
apparently forced upon them by the studio to allow for sequels that never happened. The final shots of Sarah surviving and Miriam being trapped in a coffin really tainted the otherwise vivid finale and only confused the whole thing as Sarah clearly died.
It really taints the whole movie and I don't feel like I can recommend it based on that.

Decent.

10) Xtro (1982) (Oct 10)

Snake

Night 12

dt3jlDe.png

The Borderlands isn't anything you haven't seen before if you're into found footage horror, but this low budget gem is worth a small recommendation to genre fans. The setting, Britain's rural West Country, isn't a huge draw but has a few advantages to setting mood. Ultimately, what made it recommendation-worthy shouldn't be spoiled, but neither would I want to hype it up too much anyway.
5.7/10

bN9nM9p.png

[Rewatch]
I was considering skipping the original Paranormal Activity, but after this rewatch I'm glad I didn't. The original PA is surprisingly a lot more upfront about the presence from the start, but without the large physical disturbances. There are also a few continuity points I had never noticed before
like the burnt picture of Katie in the attic being left by her brother-in-law in PA2

Final note: I had forgotten just how much of an asshole Micah is. An all-time great dick.
6.8/10

I think I might take a little break after tonight because I'm feeling a bit burnt out.

GhaleonEB

Predator 2: Male Asses Hung Upside Down was fun, but not so great that I regretted skipping it all these years. It's certainly much more dated than the first Predator. In the opening 10 minutes alone it has more 80's-isms than Arnold's outing had in its entire run. It has none of the style or tension of the first film and establishes early on that it's not nearly as serious or grounded a film as the first. And as a result, it's not remotely scary. It also kind of falls apart in the last act.

The plan to trap the alien seems sound right until they add "and we'll be wandering around aimlessly in the room as well". Very strange plan there fellas.

The Predator seemed way too eager to blow itself up when dangling on the ledge with Danny Glover. He's not mortally wounded, not trapped and when he is finally dropped down, is able to survive and stitch up just fine. A very strange place to drop that in. Especially when we learn he's near a ship filled with other Predators! I'm sure they appreciated Glover bailing them out.

Where the first film takes pains to show that even when Arnold freaking Schwarzenegger goes toe to toe with a Predator, he gets his ass kicked, Glover is somehow able to hold his own. Yeah, they were both pretty beaten up but it should not have been close. Glover getting tossed and dropped around like a rag doll on the way in and being just fine was kind of hilarious.

But as I said, I had fun anyways. There is some decent action, Danny Glover being awesome, Gary Busey being, well Gary Busey, Bill Paxton in the 80's is always a treat and they do some interesting stuff with the score. But that's about it. A subpar sequel that doesn't touch the original but manages to entertain just enough anyways.

gabbo

So I didn't get to a movie last night due to Thanksgiving and not having time, so I'll be making up for it tonight.

October 13th Movie #12 - Dream Home
Pretty good slasher, with a decent subtext (seems even more pertinent now) . Gory too. I like that the story is told somewhat out of order, it adds a little something to the goings on. More sinister than scary, there is a certain intensity and suspense to each part of the rampage scene.

YevVMBe.jpg

12) Nail Gun Massacre (1985) (Oct 12)

Nail Gun Massacre has a very complex and intricate plot. I'm not sure I can do it justice with a quick summary, but I'll give it my best shot: A bunch of people get nailed. That's it.

This one is obviously just a cheap slasher and it's pretty poor. The storyline is almost nonexistent and the majority of characters only appear just to get knocked off, with no reason or connection to the overall storyline. Considering it's basically a revenge movie, a disturbing number of unconnected, innocent people get killed. It just leaves a bad taste.

The technical faults are just as bad as the story faults. Camera work is poor, music is ill fitting and mixed poorly and the overall audio quality is abysmal. It seems more like a problem with the initial recording rather than the final mix (though blaring music doesn't help a lot of scenes) but dialogue is often completely unintelligible. The majority of the film's humor comes form the "clever" catchphrases the killer constantly spouts, but so many of them are lost in a sea of muffled audio and background noise.

Nail Gun Massacre is only worth your time if you're looking for something completely inept for a few laughs with a group of friends. And even then, there's much better bad movies to watch.

Pass.

10) Xtro (1982) (Oct 10)
12) Nail Gun Massacre (1985) (Oct 12)

Love how small the killer is in Nailgun Massacre, they didn't even try to hide it

That's (ending spoiler)
just a flat out lie to throw you off the track though, since the killer was the brother.

Though that last shot did hint at something else going on
, it wasn't explored and I doubt they put much thought into it, like the rest of the movie.

inm8num2

#13 - Los ojos de Julia (2010)
I30OT8t.jpg

Great movie - I'm surprised I hadn't seen this one yet, given how much I loved El Orfanato since that came out. This one runs a little big long, but it's pretty well paced and builds the suspense well into the final act. I'd love to see del Toro produce another suspense/horror with Belén Rueda starring.

Full viewing list

An-Det

I've been lazy about posting my impressions so this will be a bunch, but have been keeping up with the films.

9. Honeymoon (Netflix)

On the recommendation of others in the thread I checked it out. Overall I liked it, mostly on the strength of the characters it built. Most horror films treat characters as expendable, so this was a nice change of pace. The horror was more subdued but it mostly worked for me.

10. Jug Face (Amazon Prime)

I really liked this one. It felt almost lovecraftian to me, with a small cult-like group in the middle of the woods making sacrifices to an unnamed terror in the pit. Low budget, but well done with some great acting.

11. The Caller (Netflix)

This was neat. A young woman moves into a new apartment and starts getting calls from a strange older woman, and things quickly get bad as the older woman gets obsessive. Things get weird, but I really lied the way things went, taking on an almost
Butterfly Effect
style. I liked it.

12. You're Next (Netflix)

A family reunion in a remote family home takes a turn for the worst when unknown assailants start killing people. I wasn't too impressed with it. Besides a few notable moments of gore (the wire line in particular) nothing stood out, and the actors didn't really bring the characters to life.

13. Dead Within (Netflix)

A couple tries to survive in closed quarters after a plague decimates humanity. It focuses on the relationship between them and what got them where they are. It was alright, and I liked that they never got into the details of the plague which makes the later events more effective, the two leads weren't great. Some really good freaky moments though.

14. Resolution (Netflix)

A friend handcuffs a junkie friend in a bid to forcibly get clean, but the friend lives in a weird area with a lot of strange people to encounter. Definitely a slow burn that goes in it's own direction, but I really liked it. Definitely a unique setup and payoff, worth the watch.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
#13. Willow Creek

This was my first time watching this, and I didn't really know what to expect given Bobcat's previous movies. I absolutely loved it. This is found footage done right (aside from some dizzying shots at the end). Everything felt natural and real. Great dialogue, great actors, believable chemistry. What really made the movie for me was the pacing, though. It worked perfectly for me. I was on edge for a large portion of the movie, but I never felt like the tension was taken advantage of. The scares didn't feel cheap. That's huge for me. My biggest issue with most horror movies is the constant abuse of jump-scares, and I don't feel like this movie really had any. There were moments I jumped, but these moments were well-executed and effective.

This is the best horror film I've seen since [REC]. I really love successful found footage movies, and Bobcat made a great one.

Movie #13: Body Snatchers (1993)

Disappointing. The acting performances by people who are not Meg Tilly were middling to awful, the special effects were bad and the action sequences were for the most part mediocre. Meg Tilly is wonderful though especially during the reveal. The sequence where they escape from the house is my favourite part of the whole movie and it is disappointing that
the scene represents the end of seeing Meg Tilly's character since she was the only part of the movie that really creeped me out. She pulls that role off magnificently
. Can't recommend it.

gabbo

2nd movie of the night:
October 13th Movie #13 - The Horde
Over the top zombie action movie with some good human drama thrown in. Enjoyable, even the racist old war vet who's clearly played for laughs. If only the French would put their talents to actual scary stories instead of blood and guts, they'd be top of the crop.

10. The Blair Witch Project

Yeah, this was a disappointment. The plot is essentially "Kids get lost in the woods, they argue, a few weird things happen, and one of them disappears". The only real spooky part is the ending.

Steamlord

#20 - Amer

Checked this out after it was mentioned here, and...damn. It was one of the most unsettling films I've seen in a while. Not just because of the subject matter, but because of the presentation. The extremely up-close, voyeuristic shots and the amazing sound design create an atmosphere that's disorienting and frankly exhausting. These methods are applied to various horror traditions throughout the film, turning each of them into something new and interesting.

#21 - Sleepaway Camp III: Teenage Wasteland

More of the same. The first two sequels don't compare to the first movie, but they're still decent stupid fun. I hear the later sequels suck, so I won't be watching them this month, though I'll probably see them at some point just to finish out the series.

Top Bottom