• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror 4 |OT| The October Movie Marathon

MNtI9li.png

I remembered not being a fan but decided to give it another go since it was part of the new box set. As expected, not much to like here. The mask was kind of cool though and a taller Michael had potential to be intimidating at least?

The escape scene in the director's cut is trash.

---

OP.
1. Halloween (1978)
2. The Battery
3. Halloween II (1981)
4. Annabelle
5. Halloween III: Season of the Witch
6. The Wicker Man
7. The Wicker Tree
8. Toad Road
9. Evil Dead II
10. Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers
11. Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers
12. Halloween 6: The Curse of Michael Myers (Producer's Cut)
13. 28 Days Later...
14. 28 Weeks Later
15. Halloween H20: 20 Years Later
16. May

Oct. 13

Draculaad1972.jpg

Dracula A.D. 1972 is notable as the first Dracula film to feature both Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee since Horror of Dracula in 1958, and it opens with them locked fight to the death atop a charging stage coach in Victorian England... With Dracula impaled on a broken wagon wheel, we shift via opening titles to modern day London and are introduced to a group of pseudo-Mods that includes one Jessica Van Helsing and a Johnny Alucard. Fangs and fright ensues, and Cushing's Lorrimer Van Helsing - great grandson of Dracula's arch-nemesis - and Police Inspector Murray are drawn into the story to face off against the Prince of Darkness... Moving Dracula to contemporary London was probably a reaction to the success of Count Yorga, Vampire the previous year, but this is a significant departure for Hammer, lacking the gothic trappings of the Draculas of old. It is also the first of a two-film mini-series, with all the main characters returning for Satanic Rites of Dracula the following year. Caroline Munro and Stephanie Beacham lend their considerable assets to the proceedings but it's all pretty staid stuff in the end..

View List 2014 - The Hammer Horror edition (Dracula week)
  1. White Zombie (1932)
  2. The Curse of Frankenstein (1957)
  3. The Revenge of Frankenstein (1959)
  4. Evil of Frankenstein (1964)
  5. Frankenstein Created Woman (1967)
  6. Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed (1969)
  7. Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell (1974)
  8. Horror of Dracula (1958)
  9. Dracula Prince of Darkness (1966)
  10. Dracula Has Risen From The Grave (1968)
  11. Taste the Blood of Dracula (1969)
  12. Scars of Dracula (1970)
  13. Dracula A.D. 1972 (1972)

$_35.JPG

obviously not looking good for getting to 31, but I'll keep posting what I watch...

5) The Final Terror (1983) *** (of 5)
Second viewing of this. Somehow I never saw it back in the cable/VHS heyday, and when I watched it a few years ago it was a pretty dodgy VHS rip, but I still liked the film. The new bluray looks very nice and I enjoyed the movie a little more this time. It's often disjointed and the characters aren't exactly well-drawn, but the forest locale is utilized well, and the acting is actually pretty decent (though Rachel Ward and Darryl Hannah hardly have anything coherent to say). It perhaps could have used a
bigger body count
, but this is certainly a very watchable effort, in the vein of Just Before Dawn, though not quite as good as that one.

MattyH

#14 Halloween (1978) the second Carpenter film on my list (the other being the thing) and even now its one of his best

Film 15: Frankenstein (1931)
Method of Viewing: Bluray Disc as part of the Universal Monsters Set.
Bonus Viewing: Treehouse of Horror II segment "If I Only Had a Brain."

znhTgFQ.jpg

I seem to have many "mad scientist tries to play god" movies in my list as of late.

This is an iconic film and character. It should be viewed by every horror fan. If you've watched Young Frankenstein over and over before watching this like me you may chuckle a little bit as you think back at the Mel Brooks classic spoof. Highly recommended.

obin_gam

And to finish of the Nosferatu-part of my 31day festival:
#14 Shadow of the Vampire
flponYD.jpg

Dafoe is both hilarious in this and genuinely creepy as fuck!

Aizo

Banned
All the Horror movies I've watched lately really suck. I have a hard time enjoying most American Horror films. May I please have some creepy, atmospheric Horror recommendations like Audition? Good ones are hard to find..

Ridley327

I forgot to post my review of last night's film before I went to work, so that should be up later tonight. Probably.

It's my sole swap-in this year (I hope), and I was pretty blown away by it.

Film 16 – Psalm 21 (DVD)

From the wicked stump, wicked spread. And wicked conquered.

Pr6AQWD.png

This is the second consecutive film I’ve watched that features a nasty bad man vomiting black blood into the face of a family member. That’s almost the most interesting thing I can say about this evening’s viewing, because Psalm 21 is not a good movie. The story of a priest ‘investigating’ the death of his father, also a man of the cloth, starts quite well, with a promisingly creepy first act. However it sags badly in the middle, and the last half hour is an incoherent mess.

It does have the advantage of being in Swedish though. I love Swedish; it’s such a great language to listen to.

Verdict: This movie is not the right one to let in to your lives.
My apologies for that terrible Per Ragnar related Swedish horror movie pun there.

I would also recommend watching this gem with the Rifftrax commentary. It makes it a completely different movie and it's hilarious :D
Thanks! I never heard about Rifftrax before, sounds fun! I'll look into it.

#01 White Zombie (1932) (October 1)
#02 Zombie Strippers (2008) (October 2 - 3)
#03 Sweet Home (1989) (October 3)
#04 Cradle of Fear (2001) (October 4 - 5)
#05 I Bury the Living (1958) (October 5 - 6)
#06 The Little Shop of Horrors (1960) (October 6 - 7)
#07 Zombieland (2009) (October 7 - 8)
#08 The Mansion of Madness / Dr. Tarr's Torture Dungeon (1973) (October 8 - 9)
#09 Sinister (2012) (October 9)
#10 The Conjuring (2013) (October 10)
#11 House on Haunted Hill (1959) (October 11)
#12 V/H/S (2012) (October 12 - 13)

The target audience of this movie is clearly
the twenty-something American male!
Oh, but there's also a story for his girlfriend so that she doesn't feel left out.
I found Amateur Night and 10/31/98 kinda neat; Second Honeymoon and The Sick Thing [...] had some merit too; I didn't care much for Tape 56/frame narrative; As for Tuesday the 17th...
if people ever tell me that The Blair Witch Project needed more action and gore, I'll just make them watch this so that they realize the error of their ways.
So, I didn't truly love any of the stories, but since they were significantly different from one another, the movie as a whole was entertaining.

Most unsettling moments for me:
- intruder in the hotel room (Second Honeymoon)
- the girl picking the wound on her arm (The Sick Thing [...])
Heh.

WEEK 2

#9. Wishmaster - Oh boy... A horror film with a genie (or djinn) as the villain is such a cool concept. Unfortunately this one is pretty god awful. It starts out with a scene of a bunch of Egyptians getting slaughtered which was actually pretty awesome but once it got to present day it just turns sour. The gem the genie is trapped in is found by an accident and the protagonist gets her hands on it while appraising the gem. I had no sympathy for the main character as she friend zone's a guy right off the bat. The rules how the genie kills people is stupid and pretty nonsensical and how the main character stops the genie is just plain boring and generic. Some cool kills but everything else is just bad. 4/10

#10. Hellbound: Hellraiser II - A sequel to one of my favorite horror films. This is a pretty worthy sequel with some cool idea. It's great when horror sequels bring characters back from the original film. Some nice kills but the 3rd act of the film falls apart a bit. Definitely one of the better sequels of the top horror film franchises. 6/10

#11. Henry: Portait of a Serial Killer - Wow! This film is just amazing. Serial killer Henry lives in a small Chicago apartment with his prison pal Ottis. Ottis' sister stays to live with them and Henry's relationship with both of them soon beings to change. While this film holds up pretty well, by 1980s standards this must have been terrifying. Especially the scene where
Henry and Ottis tape record killing the family at their house
. Can't believe it took me this long to see this film. 9/10

#12. Thirst - A very unconventional vampire film by Oldboy director Chan wool-Park. I had heard quite a bit of negative press when this film came out but I have to say, I quite liked it. A priest contracts a vampiric disease when getting a blood transfusion and beings to question his faith and his morals. He
has an affair with a woman and they kill her dying husband but when he decides to turn her into a vampire she becomes out of control
. Like his other films, this is incredibly well shot and the music is up there with Oldboy's. Some cool twists in there and a great narrative. 7/10

#13. Night of the Creeps - This film is all kinds of great. Starts out in the 1950s as a UFC crashes
into Earth and unleashes killer slugs that infect people. After a few murders the being is frozen until present day when two nerdy fraternity hopefuls unleash the alien creatures again
. Great social commentary along with some awesome gore scenes. This one doesn't shy away with
killing off characters
and there's enough humor to not make things too serious. Really fun watch. 8/10

#14 Candyman - I wanted to really love this film but it fell a bit flat in execution. I really liked the idea of an urban legend that derives from an urban environment of the inner city. I didn't really buy the villain and it would have been much more interesting to me if
the killer controlled the main character into committing the murders instead of framing her
. The ending made up for a bit of dullness leading up to the finale but overall, there are a lot worse 90s slasher films out there. 5/10

Wanted to get through a few more films this week...

WEEK 1

Divius

u6MdOqE.jpg

#10 - Martin
I only know George Romero for his shambling undead creatures with which he rocked the world, so it was interesting to discover he also created a 'vampire movie', even more so one that seems to have both critical and public acclaim. Martin is a gritty and realistic take on the vampire genre from an unique angle, as it deals with a lot of humane issues as well as creating an interesting movie. Special mention to the performances but especially the expressionistic sepia flashback scenes that added some nice flavor to the movie. 7/10

e3vmf4y.jpg

13) ThanksKilling (2009) (Oct 13)

Time to celebrate Canadian Thanksgiving!

As any long time horror fan knows, it's very difficult, if not impossible to purposely set out to make a so-bad-it's-good movie that actually works. You can't just force the magic of Troll 2. Claudio Fragasso actually thought he was making art with that one and still insists people just don't get it.

But that doesn't stop plenty of low budget directors from trying. I'm not quite sure if it's based on a genuine love for everything awful, laziness, or just lack of confidence with skill levels or budgets that causes so many young directors to go the intentionally bad route, but there's a hardly a shortage of them.

With ThanksKilling, Jordan Downey takes possibly the laziest approach to the genre I've seen yet. I don't even feel like going into a critique of the "film" as I feel like I've already put more effort into my review of it than he did actually writing and filming it.

Sitting though this turkey (har har) was a real chore. There isn't a single joke in the entire movie that lands and for a movie that promises "Boobs in the first second!" on the cover, it's oddly lacking in the exploitative excess you'd expect from such a movie. It does feature bad acting in abundance though, but the dialogue is so trite and forced it loses all the naturalness of real badness it just becomes torturous rather than fun.

I was planning on watching ThanksKilling 3 for Canadian Thanksgiving during the marathon next year, but I'm not sure I hate myself that much.

You know what I'm thankful for? That ThanksKilling was only 70 minutes long.

Avoid.

Final Viewed List (2014):
01) White Zombie (1932) (Oct 1)
02) The Vampire Lovers (1970) (Oct 2)
03) Vampyros Lesbos (1971) (Oct 3)
04) She Killed in Ecstasy (Sie tötete in Ekstase) (1971) (Oct 4)
05) All the Colors of the Dark (Tutti i colori del buio) (1972) (Oct 5)
06) Flesh for Frankenstein (1973) (Oct 6)
07) Blood for Dracula (1974) (Oct 7)
08) Death Bed: The Bed that Eats (1977) (Oct 9)
09) Parasite (1982) (Oct 9)
10) Xtro (1982) (Oct 10)
11) The Hunger (1983) (Oct 11)
12) Nail Gun Massacre (1985) (Oct 12)
13) ThanksKilling (2009) (Oct 13)

inm8num2

#14 - Mute Witness (1994)
6Hymu9L.jpg

This was a pleasant surprise - more of a thriller than a horror, but an all around entertaining and suspenseful film. Very effective use of humor to ease some of the tension in key moments as well - I was laughing more than I expected. Recommended!

Full viewing list

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
1) Annabelle (Theater)
2) Carrie ('76, Netflix US)
3) Carrie ('13, Netflix US)
4) Scream 3 (Netflix US)
5) Hostel (Netflix Mexico)
6) The Woman in Black (Netflix Mexico)
7) Saw (Netflix Canada)
8) Dawn of the Dead ('04, Netflix Canada)
9) Child's Play (Netflix Canada)
10) Scary Movie (Netflix UK)
11) Saw II (Netflix Canada)
12) Saw III (Netflix Canada)
13) Las brujas de Zugarramurdi (Netflix Mexico)
14) Drag me to Hell (Netflix Sweden)
15) Scream 4 (Netflix Sweden): 3/5 A good slasher. I was expecting more from it. Dewy's character change is distracting. If you liked the Scream movies, check it out.

16) The Craft (Netflix UK): 4/5 I picked this film because I wanted to do another witch related movie. This is one of the best witch movies out there. The acting and story are great. As are the special effects. Not really scary, but it is enjoyable.

17) Dark Skies (Netflix UK): 4.5/5 This was a blind choice and I'm glad I watched it. The movie is about aliens coming for a family. The movie has a creepy atmosphere and made me jump a few times. Not the greatest CGI in the world, but they keep it to a minimal and use it well. Acting is spotty at best. Overall, I really liked this movie.

Movie #14: Hellraiser II.

I only got around to watching the first Hellraiser last October and slated the sequel for this October. It is a quality follow up to the original. They double downed on the monsters and practical effects and that is where the movie shines. Really made me miss the days before everything was just done with CGI. I enjoyed digging further into the mystery of the box and how people end up there. I did not care for the ending nor the amount of false endings it throws at you.

Overall really good.

11. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)

This movie should have been called Pod People, since it actually has something to do with pods and people. It's worth noting that I just saw the 1956 original last month, and Kevin McCarthy, who plays Dr. Hill in the original, returns as a "Running Man" (as per the credits), re-enacting the climactic scene of the original.

I really liked this one better than the original. For one, it's set in San Francisco, rather than some podunk town in the middle of nowhere.
That means the pods can spread across more people, farther and faster, and now you have a bigger world against you, and it's harder to get away. On top of that, pods are being spread further around the world, so there's a feeling of despair in trying to fight a war that's already lost. Also, the movie explains the process of assimilation better, since the original got confusing between the plant duplicate, and becoming a creature once you fall asleep.
There's also a devious twist ending that you might see coming, but it's a great ending all the same.

Also featuring Jeff Goldblum 15 years before Jurassic Park, and Leonard Nimoy, which seems funny since he points out
the pod people help humanity by getting rid of emotions.

Film 16: Wes Craven's Shocker (1989)
Method of Viewing: DVD
Bonus Viewing: Treehouse of Horror IX segment "Hell Toupeé".

N5pATLg.jpg

This movie had its moments. I liked the villain and he reminded me of a comic book bad guy. It wasn't really scary. I expected a little more out of Wes Craven. I guess he was trying to capitalize on the success of the Freddy character.

Snake

-Night the 13th-

HT33k6a.png

Centers on a reporter investigating some unforseen consequences of the CIA's MKULTRA experiments. Stay away from hallucinogens, kids.

A couple decent performances, but I wasn't the biggest fan of the lead actress (who has to carry most of the movie). There's also some flashback/archive material spread throughout the film that sort of ruins the flow whenever it pops up. Ultimately not very worthwhile, but my low standards kept me entertained enough.
5.5/10

VSJLrH2.png

Improper disposal of chemicals in South Korea's Han River leads to the creation of a deadly monster, complicating the lives of a man and his family.

Considering it was from the director of Memories of Murder (one of the best movies I've seen this year), I was expecting good things but was trying to keep those expectations in check. It was better than I thought it would be. Maybe a bit longer than I would have liked. Great humor, terrific performances. Some people might find the creature effects dated but I didn't care.
7.3/10

squadr0n

Would like to recommend a few for some people to checkout in case they are looking for something good this year.

1. Deliver us from evil
2. Sinister
3. The honeymoon (don't watch the trailer)
4. Oculus
5. We are what we are

None of these are cheesy or corny.

The Thing
Hellraiser
They Live
Prince of Darkness - which is ridiculous but I love it.
1970s Body Snatchers
Rosemary's Baby
Drag Me To Hell

And as a guilty pleasure I watched both Jeeper's Creepers Ha!

Gameboy415

1. Lifeforce (Blu-Ray)
2. Sleepaway Camp (Blu-Ray)
3. White Zombie (Netflix)
4. The Video Dead (Blu-Ray)
5. Prince of Darkness (Blu-Ray)
6. Tormented 3D (Blu-Ray)
7. Night of the Demons (Blu-Ray)
8. From Beyond (Blu-Ray)
9. Body Bags (Blu-Ray)
10. The Dungeon Master (AKA: Ragewar) (DVD)
11. Cellar Dweller (DVD)

12. Contamination .7 (DVD)
13. Catacombs (DVD)

-I'm still trying to get caught up so I decided to finish out the DVD set. Contamination .7 was pretty mediocre but Catacombs was actually pretty good! It had really nice pacing and a fairly interesting story.

Anyone seen the new release of the Nightbreed directors cut? Is it much better movie now? I liked the original despite how flawed it was, wondering if I should plunge into the DC.

WoodWERD

1. Cabin in the Woods (rewatch)
2. Absentia
3. White Zombie
4. The Den
5. Dawn of the Dead (2004, rewatch)
6. Grabbers
7. Pumpkinhead
8. Halloween (2007)
9. Supernova
10. Atrocious
11. The Sacrament
12. The Town That Dreaded Sundown
13. The Serpent and the Rainbow

14. Re-Animator (Netflix) - I'd been passing this in the NF queue for at least a year or two now, but after all the GAF-praise I gave in. What a nice surprise this was! The few bits of cheesiness were far outweighed by the rest of the movie, and it was fun to watch. If you have NF you have to watch this.

15. House on Haunted Hill (1959, Netflix) - Didn't really do it for me, but I don't watch many older horror movies. Interesting plot but felt short and more in the suspense category. Those screams, ugh.

MattyH

#15 (damn half way through already) Demons - 80s italian horror classic plus any film with accept in it gets a thumbs up

Film 17: The Omega Man (1971)
Method of Viewing: DVD
Bonus Viewing: Treehouse of Horror segment "The Homega Man."

h1y8MrO.jpg

As I wind down this list, this film was mostly science fiction rather than horror. However, The Family did have zombie like features so I guess it counts. I thought this was an okay movie and didn't know it was one of the first to feature an interracial kiss. The story is about a disease that wipes out most of the human race. What's left are a few survivors and The Family, a cult bent on destroying what's left of humanity.

Here is my first half viewing, with my enjoyment rating on each. Thus far, I had tried to limit it to only movies I hadn't seen yet.

1. Blood Lake - 1/5
2. Ravenous - 3/5
3. Higanjima - 3/5
4. Rosemary's Baby - 4/5
5. The Prophecy: Uprising - 4/5
6. The Reeds - 3/5
7. Carrie (2013) - 4/5
8. Trollhunter - 2/5
9. Cabin Fever: Patient Zero - 2/5
10. The Monkey's Paw - 2/5
11. Wake Wood - 4/5
12. Detention - 1/5
13. Event Horizon - 4/5
14. Scar - 2/5
15. Hatchet II - 2/5
16. The Colony - 4/5

I have watched some real crap...lol. That's what I get for trying to find new, to me, horror on Netflix guess.

I would really like to check out Annabelle, so hopefully I can get to see that. Other than that I'm moving on to my favorite horror for the second half of the month.

NIGHT-

1. The Mist
2. They live
3. Night of the living dead original
4. Gingersnaps
5. The Fly remake
6. Poltergeist
7. Gremlins
8. Creepshow
9.Childs Play
10. Childs Play 2
11. Childs Play 3
12. Monkey Shines
13. House on Haunted Hill (1959)
14. Creature from the Black Lagoon 3d
15. Poltergeist 2
16. Halloween (remake)
17. Halloween 2 ( remake)
18. Night of the creeps
19. Zombieland
20. The Cabin in the woods
21. Dracula 1931

Now onto classic Frankenstein :)

#01 White Zombie (1932) (October 1)
#02 Zombie Strippers (2008) (October 2 - 3)
#03 Sweet Home (1989) (October 3)
#04 Cradle of Fear (2001) (October 4 - 5)
#05 I Bury the Living (1958) (October 5 - 6)
#06 The Little Shop of Horrors (1960) (October 6 - 7)
#07 Zombieland (2009) (October 7 - 8)
#08 The Mansion of Madness / Dr. Tarr's Torture Dungeon (1973) (October 8 - 9)
#09 Sinister (2012) (October 9)
#10 The Conjuring (2013) (October 10)
#11 House on Haunted Hill (1959) (October 11)
#12 V/H/S (2012) (October 12 - 13)
#13 Funny Man (1994) (October 13 - 15)

I had this lying around on a VHS, recorded off TV, so why not?

Well, that was a silly movie. At least it was not boring, as the Funny Man is quite creative. I think it's the kind of movie that's best watched under the influence of weed or something (and with ultra-low expectations). Still, there were a couple of nice death scenes.

As the picture shows, Christopher Lee is in this, but it's a rather small role, so don't be fooled.

Oct. 14

The_Satanic_Rites_of_Dracula_poster.jpg

The final Dracula movie to feature Christopher Lee sees the series ending with more a whimper than a bang, but it's not a total loss. Peter Cushing is back as Lorrimer Van Helsing, and Joanna Lumley is his grand-daughter Jessica. The plot concerns an unlikely alliance between a suicidal Dracula and a handful of respected captains of industry and government plotting to release a contemporary version of the Black Plague on a decidedly groovy world. Inspector Murray teams up with Van Helsing to stop the Prince of Darkness once and for all...

View List 2014 - The Hammer Horror edition (Dracula week)
  1. White Zombie (1932)
  2. The Curse of Frankenstein (1957)
  3. The Revenge of Frankenstein (1959)
  4. Evil of Frankenstein (1964)
  5. Frankenstein Created Woman (1967)
  6. Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed (1969)
  7. Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell (1974)
  8. Horror of Dracula (1958)
  9. Dracula Prince of Darkness (1966)
  10. Dracula Has Risen From The Grave (1968)
  11. Taste the Blood of Dracula (1969)
  12. Scars of Dracula (1970)
  13. Dracula A.D. 1972 (1972)
  14. Satanic Rites of Dracula (1973)

Ridley327

One of our regularly programmed films, Season of the Witch (the Romero film, not the one with Nic Cage), has been dropped from the schedule. There's more than one reason why that had to happen, chief among them being that its status as a horror film being more debatable than I'd prefer. I'll probably watch it at some point, as it is a Romero film, but it won't be within the confines of this marathon. I think I found a worthwhile replacement for it, though!

WEEK THREE (Oct 13): WOMEN IN HORROR

If there's one thing I find unfortunate about being a fan of horror films, it's that very few of them actually scare me. It's not a matter of being too badass for them, as I can't watch footage of real-life surgeries without convulsing wildly at the sight (irony at its most palpable), nor am I able to look at a slug without my first instinct being "run away until my feet bleed." With being as experienced a movie watcher as I am, and being clued in how movies get made, it's very difficult for me to be affected by them on a visceral level. It also doesn't help that so many films repeat so many of the same beats that it's hard to be affected by jump scares, outside of being mildly annoyed by how much louder the film suddenly got. This has always been the reason why I'm so unnerved by a lot of well-done psychological horror, because it's a great deal more abstract and harder to pin down to one element.

All that being said, The Descent scared the shit out of me.

Proving that it's never too late to become claustrophobic, The Descent doesn't so much exploit the terror of its setting as much as it finds a way of putting you right in those caves along with our heroines. It's possible that director Neil Marshall had a bad experience spelunking once, since he seems to have a knack for shots that produce the highest level of suffocation within the viewer that won't result in immediate death. Before the more conventional horror elements appear in full, I was already wanting to go outside and stay there. I don't even know how I could have handled this in a theater.

Another factor that contributes is that the film doesn't go out of its way to conform to narrative expectations. After an opening scene that does well in establishing that nothing is off limits, it builds on that with establishing that while on the surface the camaraderie between all six women seems pleasant enough, there's a lot more going on between them that snowballs later on once their situation becomes truly dire. Good intentions curdle over into blame games, friendly banter gets more nakedly sarcastic, and long-dormant resentment finally breaks out, all leading to an action-packed climax where everything is finally laid bare, and shows that it isn't just villains that deserve a comeuppance.

All in all, The Descent is a first-rate horror film that delivers genuine scares, but one that I'm not eager to revisit, as I'm not interested in having another near-panic attack while watching a film. Maybe one day that will change, but I doubt it will be soon.

Scavenger

#12 Alica, Sweet Alica (AKA Communion) (1976) 10/10 *First time viewing*
It's a bit of a drag, but when the killing happens it gets good. The translucent mask is one of the creepiest masks I’ve ever seen.

#13 The Brood (1979) 10/10 *First time viewing*
Man I’d never want to marry or get a kid after seeing this film.

#14 Day of the Dead (1985) 10/10 *First time viewing*
It’s the first Romero horror film I’ve ever seen. The only other film of his I’m familiar with is Knightriders which is a true masterpiece. It has some nice gory moments, but the film is just too long for its own good and much of the character development in the film is simply wasted.

#15 Madhouse (1974) 10/10 *First time viewing*
Hearing Vincent Price scream and sing is worth the price of admission. An overall decent film.

#16 The Town That Dreaded Sundown (1976) 12/10 *First time viewing*
It started out interesting with the documentary style of narration, but the terrible out of place humor ruined the whole film for me.

#17 Class of Nuke 'Em High (1986) 13/10 *First time viewing*
It’s typical Troma, but definitely not the best I’ve seen. It doesn't have many memorable moments. It’s definitely not the worst Troma film I've seen though, that award goes to Blood Sucking Freaks.

#18 The Frighteners (1996) 14/10 *First time viewing*
Decent comedy with a few good laughs, but I thought it was a bit too long and to think that there’s an even longer version.

#19 Re-Animator (1985) 15/10 *Seen it before*
This film is fucking amazing. It has a great mix of dark humor, a good amount of gore, sex appeal and the amazing bat shit insane Herbert West. The 4K restoration from TLEFilms is stunning. The region free Re-Animator+Bride of Re-Animator Blu-ray steelbook is probably the best Blu-ray release of the year in terms of price and quality.

Bonus film:
Cool World (1992) 11/10 *First time viewing*
This animation film is fucking atrocious. It was originally meant to be a horror film, but thanks to the intervention from studio executives it became a hot fucking mess. I’m wondering how cool this film could have been if Ralph Bakshi could have continued with his original horror vision.

Previous films:
#1 The ‘Burbs (1989) 10/2 *First time viewing*
#2 Theatre of Blood (1973) 10/4 *First time viewing*
#3 Scanners (1981) 10/6 *First time viewing*
#4 Hardware (1990) 10/6 *First time viewing*
#5 Videodrome (1983) 10/7 *First time viewing*
#6 Alligator (1980) 10/7 *First time viewing*
#7 Street Trash (1987) 10/7 *First time viewing*
#8 The Cabin in the Woods (2012) 10/7 *First time viewing*
#9 White Zombie (1932) 10/7 *First time viewing*
#10 Phantom of the Paradise (1974) 10/9 *Seen it before*
#11 Lisa and the Devil (1973) 10/9 *Seen it before*

Film 17 – We Are The Night (DVD)

All you need is courage.

QVd34o9.png

Why are vampires such messy eaters? If I’d been sucking the blood from people’s necks for hundreds of years I’m pretty sure I’d have worked out a way to do it without getting the red stuff all down my face.

We Are The Night is a very entertaining German vampire movie. Telling the story of what happens to a trio of female bloodsuckers when another young woman is brought into their group, it’s fast, sleek, sexy and engaging. The decision to have only female vampires gives the film an interesting feminist slant, and the inclusion of a trope-subverting Manic Pixie Nightmare Girl is also a great touch.

The four leads are excellent (especially the utterly delectable Karoline Herfurth), the script is strong though not always original, the effects are top notch, it looks great and I loved the soundtrack.

Verdict: A really fun film. Looking forward to watching it again at the weekend with my vampire obsessed wife.

#19 Re-Animator (1985) 15/10 *Seen it before*
This film is fucking amazing. It has a great mix of dark humor, a good amount of gore, sex appeal and the amazing bat shit insane Herbert West. The 4K restoration from TLEFilms is stunning. The region free Re-Animator+Bride of Re-Animator Blu-ray steelbook is probably the best Blu-ray release of the year in terms of price and quality.

I've been meaning to look into that remastered Re-Animator since it's one of my fave films and the current Region A BD just isn't up to Herbert's standards.

Is it still in print or am I too late like I was with Dellamorte Dellamore? I haven't had a chance to research different releases yet. Don't suppose you know if there's a Region A planned with the new transfer either?

strobogo

Banned
Has anyone ever seen Kolobos? I saw it one time on Showtime or Cinemax around 1999/2000 and have never seen it anywhere again. Never at a video store, not at the library, not on any streaming service. You can get it on Amazon once in a while, but only through 3rd party sellers. All I remember about it was a dude cutting his face off and feeding it to a dog.

Ridley327

WEEK THREE (Oct 14): WOMEN IN HORROR

Click the poster for the real deal that's kinda sorta really NSFW said:

Calling Amer a love letter to giallo films would be an understatement on par with stating that Godzilla is a big reptile. Amer doesn't just love that wildly varied subset of Italian filmmaking: it's practically masturbating wildly in public, singing something to the tune of one of the better known themes from the films it loves so much.

For some, they probably won't get past the wild masturbation on the part of the filmmakers. Directors Hélène Cattet and Bruno Forzani have crafted a somewhat unclassifiable film that doesn't seem particularly interested in explaining itself. There's very little narrative, and truthfully, not much of a drive to that narrative, as it feels like three short films of varying lengths sewn together on a fairly general idea of it charting a girl's growth to adulthood, via different styles of films to tell each of the three ages. However, it isn't so abstract that it lends itself to boundless amounts of interpretations, as the imagery is pretty blunt and self-explanatory. It's in that weird spot where it's neither conventional, nor is it avant garde. Identifying just what Amer is seems difficult, as the film doesn't seem particularly interested in saying much of anything. It may just as well be an exceptionally gorgeous advertisement for the French Riviera, as much as it is a collection of the filmmaking duo's favorite visual ideas from their favorite films, wedded to some of their favorite soundtrack cues.

I've often complained that with a lot of giallo, many of its filmmakers would have been better off not trying to tell a story, as they were often rather poor storytellers, and focus much more on creating and maintaining a mood. Cattet and Forzani seem to agree with me there, as Amer unfolds like a progressively more and more audacious blend of daydreams and nightmares, which has more in common with Argento's non-giallo work from the late 70s and 80s than anything else. While Amer can't stage a sequence nearly as breathtaking as, say, the first murder in Suspiria, it definitely manages to capture that same kind of pervading dread for most of its runtime, where each scene feels pregnant with an especially malicious menace, even without the context of an awakening sexual identity. The atmosphere is, quite literally at times, dripping from the ceilings. With extra special care given to the sound design of the film, where even the bristling of a comb sounds alien, it's an easy film to get lost in.

More importantly, though, the filmmakers are having a lot of fun, which is a frequently uncommon sight even in their inspirations. Without having the expectation of having to really worry about impressing anyone with a story, they're able to bounce from scene to scene with a string of strong sequences that work well enough on their own, but really shine when you can't be too sure of what follows them. They also have a good level of self-awareness throughout the whole film: I especially like the small details that they nailed for how things were done back then, like unconvincing old man makeup that renders the actor more demonic than elderly, or having red herrings (or as much of a red herring as a film like this can get) by focusing on a character's affinity for black leather gloves. The other recent giallo pastiche, Berberian Sound Studio, also had a lot of fun in those regards, which explains why I like that one just as much as this one.

I hate to say I like a film just because I do, but who am I to go against my gut feeling?

inm8num2

#15 - Maniac (1980)
maniac-1980-210x300.jpg

This movie feels like it doesn't know what it is - part crime film, part exploitation, part slasher, part character study. The narrative feels disjointed as a result, but it's still worth watching. Overall a decent horror flick with some grisly deaths.

Full viewing list

Top Bottom