• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey 2 remake: videos for Classic Mode and Grimoires (+ some audio drama)

L~A

Looks like there's 3 new video this week, and it's for Classic Mode. As you already know, you'll be able to create your own party, like in the original game.

YouTube

There's also a video for Grimoires : YouTube

Another one for the trading feature (related to grimoires): YouTube

And finally, there's some audio drama (basically some characters talking). It's with Chloe.

Drama 1
Drama 2

Almost forgot: retailer guide is up (for the various bonuses they give you when buying the game).

spiritfox

So err... did we know we could use EO3's Prince/Princess in Classic mode? That's interesting, and better than how it was implemented in EOU.

Zweizer

Banned
So err... did we know we could use EO3's Prince/Princess in Classic mode? That's interesting, and better than how it was implemented in EOU.

Seems like you don't have to complete Story mode first to get access to Prince/Princess in Classic, so yes, it's much better implemented than in Untold.

Seems like you don't have to complete Story mode first to get access to Prince/Princess in Classic, so yes, it's much better implemented than in Untold.

If this is true and they don't make some floors CM exclusive like in Untold then it's going to be perfect.

Edit: Just watched the videos, this is going to be fucking amazing.

Some of the shop goods are awesome, I need this:

trader_privilege_large.jpg

KarmaCow

I don't really understand what's happening in the videos but it seems like there are multiple ways to acquire and level grimoire stones now?

Zweizer

Banned
You can apparently increase grimoire skills' level through trading. That should make grimoire builds much easier.

L~A

Ugh, looks like CTRL+C failed and copy/pasted the same URL =_=

Well, it's now been fixed. Thanks for the heads up.

You can apparently increase grimoire skills' level through trading. That should make grimoire builds much easier.
That's good to hear. Anything that makes the system simplier is a plus in my book.

Funny the thing I'm enjoying most is the fact that the videos are using the original music in them. Also glad to see that possible you'll be able to use Princess/Prince in Classic without having to beat story.

That's good to hear. Anything that makes the system simplier is a plus in my book.

Funny the thing I'm enjoying most is the fact that the videos are using the original music in them. Also glad to see that possible you'll be able to use Princess/Prince in Classic without having to beat story.

Atlus seems to have learned(probably by feedback) that locking or making exclusive content was stupid, that's the main reason I didn't like Untold, and now they are fixing everything. If the Grimoire system isn't crap then I'm already in love with Untold 2.

Now I have no idea what mode I'm playing first, which is a fantastic problem to have. I have no problem with them making a story mode or whatever if we're getting both modes with everything included.

Shiina

I liked the first remake. I will surely pick up this one.
I hope it will include dual audio though *beleive*

No chance with Atlus. Though I don't care this time around because I find voices in EO really distracting. Still not sure which mode I'm going to play. I really like the story mode sprites but like voices, I find conversations also distracting in this game. Plus I like the difficulty of classic mode.

Hope they've refined the Grimoire system a great deal this time around.

Looks like it at least from the various trailers. I still don't find the system to be a very good idea, subclassing is much more fun. Or a specialization system (think Seiken Densetsu 3) would be really cool, too.

L~A

I liked the first remake. I will surely pick up this one.
I hope it will include dual audio though *beleive*

They didn't do it for their flagship series (Persona Q got only English, iirc), I doubt they're going to add dual-audio for this, unfortuantely :(

And it's a real kick in the private parts, because I really love the JP VA in this game.

L~A

Have Atlus ever given a justification about the lack of dual audio in any of their games? Memory?

Not Atlus per se, but it's generally due to licencing, probably too costly to pay for the Japanese VA.

It's the main reason behind the lack of dual-audio, most of the time.

Zweizer

Banned
Not Atlus per se, but it's generally due to licencing, probably too costly to pay for the Japanese VA.

It's the main reason behind the lack of dual-audio, most of the time.

Well, that's a shame. I can understand why their games don't feature dual audio in that case.

omlet

Looking better and better.

I want some of those JP store-exclusive bonuses :(

I don't really understand what's happening in the videos but it seems like there are multiple ways to acquire and level grimoire stones now?

It looks like you can cash in your junk grimoires now and apply them towards improving skills you care about on grimoires you have? Can't read enough kanji to follow along, but if so that's pretty awesome. I threw away literally hundreds of useless grimoires in EO:U (actually, I just checked... around 1000, no joke, almost 1400 stones acquired on my file, minus almost 300 synthed stones, minus the 80 or so currently stocked).

I mean, grimoires in EOU weren't even really that important until endgame expert mode, so them being so heavily RNG focused wasn't really a problem until then, so in a way I think some people really overreact to the system Untold used...but on the other hand I am all for some changes that mean I don't have to spend a couple hours resetting my game because I went on a grimoire run and got nothing but garbage coppers.

omlet

It was worthless in Untold.

bro do you even postgame expert mode?

I'd love to see a <5-turn Core kill without using grimoires. Sure the system had some issues, and yeah you probably could clear the game without even using them if you were a glutton for punishment and really wanted to, but calling it worthless just tells me you probably either hate optimizing or didn't even really bother to try using them much. It lets you create some real versatile/powerhouse builds, so why not take advantage of that?

I wish they would completely remove the Grimoire system. It was worthless in Untold.
I wouldn't say they were utterly useless. They allowed me to have my Medic actually me useless in regular battles rather than smacking a monster for some tiny amount of they allowed me to make use of his high magic stat to actually lay down some good damage. But it very much is true you could beat the game without them.

Pity the system was so complex and muddy to use.

Laconic

Banned
bro do you even postgame expert mode?

I'd love to see a <5-turn Core kill without using grimoires. Sure the system had some issues, and yeah you probably could clear the game without even using them if you were a glutton for punishment and really wanted to, but calling it worthless just tells me you probably either hate optimizing or didn't even really bother to try using them much. It lets you create some real versatile/powerhouse builds, so why not take advantage of that?

I hope that by "useless" he meant "unwieldy".

Because they totally were that.

Sub-classing is much more sensibly done.

I'd love it if they took it a step further, though, and allowed you to keep one or two skills as "inherited", upon retirement - that way you could have dual-classing + a bit of inherent flavor.

How cool would THAT be?

It could serve as a more elegant version of EO4's forges, even.

...though the min-maxer in me would love all that PLUS forges making their return, personally. ;)

omlet

I wouldn't say they were utterly useless. They allowed me to have my Medic actually me useless in regular battles rather than smacking a monster for some tiny amount of they allowed me to make use of his high magic stat to actually lay down some good damage.

Pity the system was so complex and muddy to use.

It's not even really that complex, though. I mean, I don't know the exact rules it works on since I didn't design it, but it's largely just dice rolling. That's not complex or muddy. Some observations from simply playing the game:

Basics:
- Character must have a Grimoire Stone equipped to be able to get Grimoire Chance.
- Random, low chance for a Grimoire Chance during character's turn in a battle.
- Random, medium chance for a Grimoire Chance to produce a Grimoire Stone.
- Skills on a newly created Grimoire Stone are randomized from the character's current skills, including skills on their currently equipped Grimoire Stone
- The level of skills on new grimoires will be random; 1-4 is highest chance, 5-9 is lower chance, 10 is lowest chance (more on this below).
- The number of skill slots will be random, but typically higher level skill -> fewer skill slots and lower level skills -> more skill slots.

So it's pretty simple really, just dice rolling.

A few other things factored in:
- Rare Breed enemies (especially FOEs) greatly boost the chance for Grimoire Chance to occur during battle.
- Using a specific skill during a Grimoire Chance seems to give a better chance of that skill being imprinted on a new stone created during that battle. Using Boost seems to also help getting that specific skill on the new stone, and also seems to help make sure it is a higher level (I have no spreadsheet of data to back this up, but I've farmed a ton of stones and it seems true).
- Enemy skills have high (highest?) priority to be included on a new stone. Thus if you are farming stones to duplicate skills you already have, you want to fight enemies with no skills.
- Three types of farmable items let you manipulate the system somewhat.
- Enhanced snacks from Rosa (or other mansion buffs) can be used to make rare breeds appear more often (more natural Grimoire Chances) or give 100% stone creation rate on any Grimoire Chance (including those triggered by the item Hunting Horn).
- A character must have about 70 skill points sunk into skill trees before they have a chance of making an FL (skill level 10) grimoire, so you cannot Rest a character and only spend points on a skill you want to duplicate at level 10 (you will just get it at low rank even if the character is lelve 99 and has the skill at 10).

I know that's a lot of text, but it's really not that complicated. Now, if we're talking about the Seven Kings grimoires, then yeah I think "muddy" is a fair criticism lol, I had to dig up info online for that stuff. So obscure. Won't mind if that doesn't make a comeback in EOII remake.

Sub-classing is much more sensibly done.
No argument there, I'd rather have subclassing than grimoires, but I think re-balancing the first two games for subclassing would have been a lot more work, so I can (at least think I) understand why they would have not tried to put that system back in for EOI and II remakes.

I hope that if they do remake III, it's just subclassing with no grimoires.

Rutger

Banned
I'm glad to see Atlus is really reworking the Grimoire system. I doubt I'll like it as much as Subclassing, but maybe they can at least make it fun this time.

I'm glad to see the Prince/Princess class is in Classic mode from the start. I wonder if we will get the hero's class though, I didn't see anything but the EO2 classes and the Prince/Princess on the class list shown.

The video showed the classic mode characters fighting in a labyrinth I don't remember from EO2, hopefully that means we can go to the extra dungeon this time.

I'm looking forward to it, looks like it will be a better remake than EOU.

Chaos17

No chance with Atlus. Though I don't care this time around because I find voices in EO really distracting. Still not sure which mode I'm going to play. I really like the story mode sprites but like voices, I find conversations also distracting in this game. Plus I like the difficulty of classic mode.

Looks like it at least from the various trailers. I still don't find the system to be a very good idea, subclassing is much more fun. Or a specialization system (think Seiken Densetsu 3) would be really cool, too.

Dunjeon crawler usually don't appeal me because of the lack of story.
Thanks to story mode of the first remake I was able to enjoy the game.

Dunjeon crawler usually don't appeal me because of the lack of story.
Thanks to story mode of the first remake I was able to enjoy the game.

EO1 and 3 had a better story than whatever Untold tried to do, I'm still mad that they fucking spoil the game in the first hour for no good reason.

I'm still glad that there are some new fans to the series thanks to Story Mode even if I don't get the appeal.

Laconic

Banned
EO1 and 3 had a better story than whatever Untold tried to do, I'm still mad that they fucking spoil the game in the first hour for no good reason.

I'm still glad that there are some new fans to the series thanks to that SM even if I don't get the appeal.

Ssssssh!

...the waifu lovers might be prone to a lynch, good sir. ;)

You're right, of course.

omlet

I'm still glad that there are some new fans to the series thanks to Story Mode even if I don't get the appeal.

I get the appeal of having a story mode (even if it's not something I care is there) but I'm with you on being mad about Untold's story mode basically ruining what is probably the best surprise in the entire series (the twist in III is good too). Fortunately, EOII doesn't really have a twist to be spoiled so I'm kinda looking forward to story mode more than I was for Untold.

I get the appeal of having a story mode (even if it's not something I care is there) but I'm with you on being mad about Untold's story mode basically ruining what is probably the best surprise in the entire series (the twist in III is good too). Fortunately, EOII doesn't really have a twist to be spoiled so I'm kinda looking forward to story mode more than I was for Untold.

The whole appeal of EO is to defeat difficult enemies, survive floors full of shit that wants to kill you, and feel rewarded by customizing your party, making your own map, it's a really personal experience.

Story mode just says fuck it all(except the difficult enemy part if you're playing in expert), I wonder what they're going to do for EO5, I think an interesting option to make everyone happy would be to let us customize our party, even if they are "Story Characters", let me change them to whatever class I want without silly restrictions like them keeping the stats of the original class. It would be cool to have every of the 5 characters having a different portrait for the class you choose for them.

The idea that EO has a no story is silly, I feel motivated to know what the hell is going on, I like how your guild aren't chosen ones so we don't need that much exposition, I love how every NPC starts to respect you more and by the end you're the best guild ever haha, even EO4's ending made me cry.

EO2 doesn't have a plot twisty story, so I'm hoping for the best.

I need this too

come on Atlus, reveal a delicious CE for EO2U. I have $100 in reserve. Arianna nendoroids, super giant Arianna posters, Arianna body pillows, plsssssssssss

I'd pay stupid amounts of money to get everything Japan is getting. I might just import it all.

omlet

Mauricio, you are preachin' to the choir for me, man, heh. I like the series for the same reasons. I like the minimalist approach, the drive to explore simply because you can, because that's the game. It's fun to make a guild of adventurers and use my imagination to fill in the blanks. Story mode leaves you with mechanically-sound dungeon crawler, but basically robs you of that personal connection, which is a big deal to me and you, but not to some people.

That said, I think for every one of us who is like that, there is someone else (probably several someones) out there who has avoided the series because of that minimalist approach.

And I mean classic mode exists, it's not like you have to play story mode. It's a smart move to include both and let the player pick. I played classic mode EOU before story mode because I never beat the original EO1. I did beat EOII, though (postgame and everything), so I'll be hitting up story mode in EOII first just to zip through it to see what's new, then play a classic mode run "for real."

Mauricio, you are preachin' to the choir for me, man, heh. I like the series for the same reasons. I like the minimalist approach, the drive to explore simply because you can, because that's the game. It's fun to make a guild of adventurers and use my imagination to fill in the blanks. Story mode leaves you with mechanically-sound dungeon crawler, but basically robs you of that personal connection, which is a big deal to me and you, but not to some people.

That said, I think for every one of us who is like that, there is someone else (probably several someones) out there who has avoided the series because of that minimalist approach.

And I mean classic mode exists, it's not like you have to play story mode. It's a smart move to include both and let the player pick. I played classic mode EOU before story mode because I never beat the original EO1. I did beat EOII, though (postgame and everything), so I'll be hitting up story mode in EOII first just to zip through it to see what's new, then play a classic mode run "for real."

haha, I just like to rant at times, I wasn't aiming it at you. I just fear for EO5, I really want to know what they are going to do with that game. I believe there should be a way to keep story mode and have the customization we love, unless they plan to keep both modes as separate.

If it means anything, I'm really happy with how better this game seems to be compared to Untold, Classic Mode is going to be amazing and I definitely like the SM cast more.

Some people just have no goddamn imagination in them, Mauricio. More Bad is better than Less Good for them.

Or maybe they're method gamers, i dunno.

The grimoire system eventually just made the game become *spam boss skills and then finisher*. I remember the days when I had to actually make a smart composition to win, not be forced to use enemy boss skills to remain relevant

Laconic

Banned
The grimoire system eventually just made the game become *spam boss skills and then finisher*. I remember the days when I had to actually make a smart composition to win, not be forced to use enemy boss skills to remain relevant

So... EO2, then?

Arguably EO4... but if I could beat it with a team of original characters i.e. no main class Bushi, Arcanist, or Imp, without a Runemaster or Medic main, with only one sub RM, and two sub Arc, well... how much of that is my clever compostition, and how much is simply well developed classes?

EO3 relied on special party skills and trinkets as much as broken subbing... if not even more so.

So... EO2, then?

Arguably EO4... but if I could beat it with a team of original characters i.e. no main class Bushi, Arcanist, or Imp, without a Runemaster or Medic main, with only one sub RM, and two sub Arc, well... how much of that is my clever compostition, and how much is simply well developed classes?

EO3 relied on special party skills and trinkets as much as broken subbing... if not even more so.

EO3 and 4 were both easy as hell, which makes the addition of Picnic mode, floor jump, and automapping amusing for me, the series was ALREADY EASY. Post Game is the only time that both games get a bit difficult.

Zweizer

Banned
EO3 and 4 were both easy as hell, which makes the addition of Picnic mode, floor jump, and automapping amusing for me, the series was ALREADY EASY. Post Game is the only time that both games get a bit difficult.

The games were indeed easy for veterans, but I think the picnic mode is fine for people who aren't particularily well-versed in this type of game. It's mainly an attempt from Atlus to make the games more accessible in order to increase sales.

The games were indeed easy for veterans, but I think the picnic mode is fine for people who aren't particularily well-versed in this type of game. It's mainly an attempt from Atlus to make the games more accessible in order to increase sales.

I know that, but I wish they were more like the Souls team, as in not giving a fuck, but then again those games sell a ton. IIRC Untold didn't sell as good as EO4, but numerical sequels usually sell more.

Zweizer

Banned
I know that, but I wish they were more like the Souls team, as in not giving a fuck, but then again those games sell a ton. IIRC Untold didn't sell as good as EO4, but numerical sequels usually sell more.

As long as Atlus doesn't decrease the actual difficulty of the games (such as Floor Jump), I'm generally fine with options such as Picnic Mode. I'd say Etrian Odyssey is much more niche than the Souls series, notably due to its visuals, not to mention the bulk of the Souls series sales comes from countries outside of Japan, unlike EO.

Untold indeed didn't sell as well as EO4. I hope it's mainly because it's a remake. Sales of the various iterations of the main series all experienced an upward trend, and I hope it'll be the case for the inevitable fifth entry as well.

omlet

Even a series vet like me appreciates the easy mode toggle. I play through the games on the hardest setting (well, all two of them had had an option) but it was so nice in Untold to be able to NG+ to zip through story mode on an easier setting and use picnic mode for when I wanted to have my 99s powerlevel up a new character or go farm grimoires or something else monotonous ... Frankly, I can't understand how anyone could have fun actually playing the whole game on picnic mode, but I did find it a nice convenience switch for certain things!

As long as Atlus doesn't decrease the actual difficulty of the games (such as Floor Jump), I'm generally fine with options such as Picnic Mode. I'd say Etrian Odyssey is much more niche than the Souls series, notably due to its visuals, not to mention the bulk of the Souls series sales comes from countries outside of Japan, unlike EO.

Untold indeed didn't sell as well as EO4. I hope it's mainly because it's a remake. Sales of the various iterations of the main series all experienced an upward trend, and I hope it'll be the case for the inevitable fifth entry as well.

It'd be nice, and I like the term "picnic mode", the next best name to "Feels like the art direction looks"

Even a series vet like me appreciates the easy mode toggle. I play through the games on the hardest setting (well, all two of them had had an option) but it was so nice in Untold to be able to NG+ to zip through story mode on an easier setting and use picnic mode for when I wanted to have my 99s powerlevel up a new character or go farm grimoires or something else monotonous ... Frankly, I can't understand how anyone could have fun actually playing the whole game on picnic mode, but I did find it a nice convenience switch for certain things!

It had not occurred to me that Picnic mode makes Grimoire grinding easier, so yeah that's a plus haha. I also can't imagine anyone playing the whole game in Picnic mode, the whole rewarding aspect of the game is completely gone if you do that.

Top Bottom