• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror 4 |OT| The October Movie Marathon

izakq

Conjuring_poster.jpg

Movie #17 - The Conjuring (2013) - HBOGO

A re-watch for me, but watched again as my brother-in-law wanted to see it. Now seeing Annabelle recently, I have to say that it made the re-watch a little more entertaining with the scenes involving the doll Annabelle for some reason. Thumbs up.

A_Tale_of_Two_Sisters_film.jpg

Movie #18 - A Tale of Two Sisters (2003) - Youtube

My first time watching this based on recommendations. So this Korean film looked like it was going to be another ghost/haunting type of movie. After the first hour, I was wondering if something was going to happen. But then, the bombshell was dropped. Ok, this is good, but then I started thinking, "Wait a minute. That doesn't make any sense." Then the second bombshell is dropped. I thought it should end there, but thankfully it doesn't and just gets better. This was great and I want to watch it again soon. Thumbs up.

Scavenger

gLgT9tK.jpg

#22 Society (1989) 10/18 *First time viewing*
Horror, class warfare, conspiracy, coming of age all blended into one insane disturbing delight of a film with some of the most very fucked up special effects towards the end of the film. This one gets a big thumbs up!

Previous films:
#1 The ‘Burbs (1989) 10/2 *First time viewing*
#2 Theatre of Blood (1973) 10/4 *First time viewing*
#3 Scanners (1981) 10/6 *First time viewing*
#4 Hardware (1990) 10/6 *First time viewing*
#5 Videodrome (1983) 10/7 *First time viewing*
#6 Alligator (1980) 10/7 *First time viewing*
#7 Street Trash (1987) 10/7 *First time viewing*
#8 The Cabin in the Woods (2012) 10/7 *First time viewing*
#9 White Zombie (1932) 10/7 *First time viewing*
#10 Phantom of the Paradise (1974) 10/9 *Seen it before*
#11 Lisa and the Devil (1973) 10/9 *Seen it before*
#12 Alica, Sweet Alica (AKA Communion) (1976) 10/10 *First time viewing*
#13 The Brood (1979) 10/10 *First time viewing*
#14 Day of the Dead (1985) 10/10 *First time viewing*
#15 Madhouse (1974) 10/10 *First time viewing*
#16 The Town That Dreaded Sundown (1976) 10/12 *First time viewing*
#17 Class of Nuke 'Em High (1986) 10/13 *First time viewing*
#18 The Frighteners (1996) 10/14 *First time viewing*
#19 Re-Animator (1985) 10/15 *Seen it before*
#20 The Fly (1958) 10/16 *first time viewing*
#21 Shivers (1975) 10/17 * First time viewing*

Bonus film:
Cool World (1992) 10/11 *First time viewing*

White Man

I like Society an awful lot. I was surprised that I hadn't heard it mentioned until a few years ago. After watching it I figured it would be a much bigger cult movie.

inm8num2

#18 - The Brides of Dracula (1960)
The-Brides-of-Dracula-poster.jpg

I like how Hammer made this film when Christopher Lee initially refused to replay Dracula. Great villains in the Baron and the titular brides, and Cushing is fantastic as always. Terence Fisher was a master of shooting horror on Technicolor.

Full viewing list

Ridley327

WEEK THREE (Oct 16): WOMEN IN HORROR

As I imagine it is for other people who have finished watching the film, Proxy left me with a lot of questions and little in the way of answers. It wasn't just trying to wrap my head around the amount of twists and revelations that manage to pile up in two hours' time, nor was it trying to make sense of what seems like two sides of the same damaged coin wind up being even more dissimilar than they initially seemed, nor was it being unsure to applaud or condemn the filmmakers for the audacity of even attempting something this ambitious on a shoestring budget. The problem is you have to process all of it all at once, since it's the kind of film where you are compelled to put absolutely everything together to see if there's an even bigger picture that isn't obvious. I don't know how true the Hitchcockian part of the pull-quote on the film's poster is, but it more than lives up to the mindfuck statement.

Opening with a scene that I imagine will lose approximately 90% of its viewers about halfway into it, Proxy announces itself right away as something that's going to be really different from what you could have ever anticipated. Despite the film never getting nearly as violent as it's opening scene, it manages to feel just as savage and relentless with every new revelation. Nothing normal ever happens in this film, which gives it a heightened sense of reality, that for as grounded as it often feels, and for better and for worse, feels entirely surreal.

It's tough talking about this film because a lot of its most important strengths and some damning weaknesses enter into very deep spoiler territory, and yet it's the kind of film where explaining the entirety of the plot would do little to explain the film at all, beyond getting some guffaws and a lot of "wow, that's fucked up" comments. A lot of it is so open to interpretation that the best advice I can give is to simply watch it. It's certainly not a guarantee that you'll like it at all, and even now, I'm not entirely too sure which side of the fence I'm residing on. With that in mind, I do plan on writing a supplemental review in the future there where there will be much more open discussion on my part with how I understood everything, but one that will have frank discussion about what goes down in the film, so I would strongly recommend not reading that unless you've seen the film, or have a curiosity at seeing me go insane over understanding a film that may never be understood by anyone. I need to move onto reviews for other films, but I'm not done with this one by a long shot.

Just finished Gremlins ( rewatch), though i consider it more of a christmas movie than halloween...fun like always.

rewatching Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning now.

Week 3 begins with films from select films from Bela Lugosi and Boris Karloff that are NOT Dracula or Frankenstein.

Film 19: The Return of the Vampire (1944)
Method of Viewing: iTunes Rental

nHbqK07.jpg

This doesn't count as a Dracula movie since this was a Columbia film and the Dracula character is owned by Universal. Lugosi plays a Dracula-like vampire named Armand Tesla. It's the closest we get to a Dracula 2 including the all the elements of a subpar follow up to the classic original from 1931. There is even a werewolf character who is Tesla's slave. Wolf man was probably owned by Universal at the time. Lugosi pretty much disguises himself as a professor in order to stalk victims for blood.

Movie #18: Trilogy of Terror.

Made for TV anthology from the '70s. All three shorts are based on Richard Matheson and star Karen Black in the title role. I was very impressed although my feelings may be slightly covered by the fact that I love Karen Black (and her wonderfully strange career trajectory) and that the last short is amazing. The first two are good and have some fascinating twist endings, but the third one is head and shoulders above the first two. That doll is going to give nightmares as is the very last shot for many nights to come.

Definitely worth checking out even if just for the final short.

GhaleonEB

Night of the Creeps was fun. An 80's horror comedy with loving homages to the 50's and 60's sci-fi horror era, it works mostly as intended, which is more comedy than horror. The third act disappointed, though. The first two made for an awesome set up, but midway through the third act, it felt like it was still being set up. The finale was cut short, I suspect due to the budget. Enjoyable despite its shortcomings.

Every line Tom Atkins says is awesome. He was clearly having a ball.

Steamlord

#27 - Altered States

The plot was as far-fetched as they come, but the imagery and special effects were amazing.
The ape scene was by far the weakest part though, because it stopped being a fascinating psychedelic thriller and turned into a mediocre werewolf movie for a while instead.
It definitely has its flaws, but I was still really impressed with it.

#28 - American Mary

Not much to it, but it was gruesome fun. Mary's character progression isn't remotely convincing, but that's not really the point. And of course Katharine Isabelle is always great.

#29 - Frontier(s)

Stupid.

Film 22 – Let The Right One In (BD)

q50edfh.png

One of my all time favourite films in any genre, and easily the best vampire movie I’ve ever seen. Lyrical, magical, beautiful and unreservedly recommended.

Oreoleo

After going really hard the first 25% of the month I have fallen behind in a big way. I didn't want to include movies I'd already seen before in my list but I think I'm going to have to as there is so much uninspired mediocrity in the genre, it really leaves me with little desire to go out of way to find new movies worth watching.

#10 Interview with the Vampire
InterviewwithaVampireMoviePoste.JPG

I've seen this a few times now and I think it's fantastic! I really adore the pageantry in this movie. Everything is so macabre but it's offset by this, almost, regality of the sets and costume designs that gives the movie a great ambiance/atmosphere. I love the use of wry comedy to bring some levity to certain scenes as well. The story spanning so many decades/centuries and countries/continents, along with the sets/aesthetic really gives the movie a sort of grandeur that few can hope to equal. I don't know why this didn't spawn a flood of Anne Rice adaptations ;( 5/5

#11 Alien
Alien_movie_poster.jpg

Always my favorite Alien film, I was surprised how much I found myself wanting the plot to just get on with it while I was watching it. It's like a full 60 minutes before we get to the chest burster cafeteria scene. I wonder if my tastes are changing or if I just wasn't in the right mood to sit down and appreciate the pacing. 4.5/5

#12 Honeymoon
S4BFug3.jpg

Hm. First things first. I was really put off by Ygritte's voice in this. I don't know if it's just how her accent comes across or if it was an intentional affectation put on by the actress but her voice seemed really gruff and gravely. Aside from that I mostly liked this. Though, I watched it not even a week ago and seem to have forgotten a large portion of the story beats already. The ending was a bit of a let down and the story never quite went as far with the premise as I wanted it to, leaving me feeling kind of unfulfilled as the credits started to roll. More competently made than something like The Last Exorcism, but where the latter was complacent in its competence, Honeymoon felt like it could have been something more or better and its shortcomings are all the more disappointing because of it. 2.5/5

---
#1 The Conjuring
#2 Insidious
#3 Insidious: Chapter 2
#4 Sinister
#5 The Awakening
#6 Hellraiser
#7 The Last Exorcism
#8 The Last Exorcism Part 2
#9 You're Next

Divius

KaTm1tq.jpg

#11 - Non si sevizia un paperino AKA Don't Torture a Duckling
Another giallo on my list that is more a 'mystery whodunnit' than a 'stylish slasher', just like The House with the Screaming Windows was, and I am finding myself not enjoying these as much as I'd hoped. That said, it's a solid thriller and everything but by the time I am writing this it has been a week since I saw it and not much of it has stuck to my memory so I guess that says something about my enjoyment of it. 6/10

Divius

6AsW8K0.jpg

#12 - Scream
Initially I was quite LTTP with Wes Craven's iconic Scream as I only first saw it in 2011 and this being my first rewatch of it. It is quite easy to have a lot of fun with this movie; part slasher, part whodunnit, it's very meta, funny and thrilling. A classic in the genre. 7.5/10

fxhk9gt.jpg

#13 - I Know What You Did Last Summer
It might have been somewhat inspired by Scream, trying to make some bank off of the hype and everything, and it's not nearly as good nor inspired but it isn't exactly terrible either. The somewhat unnecessary complicated killer-twist had me scratching my head. It's mindless fun and Jennifer Love Hewitt is absolutely smoking in it. 6/10

VPziFR0.jpg

17) Slugs: The Movie (Slugs, muerte viscosa) (1988) (Oct 18)

I've known of Slugs for ages, but I don't believe it was until last year's marathon that I discovered it was by the Pieces director. It was then I knew I had to see it. Lemme tell ya boys, once again Juan Piquer Simón does not disappoint.

While Slugs does does not share the same level goofy sleaze that made Pieces so magical, I think it's a generally good old school creature feature, with just enough goofy content to keep it light and fun.

The plot is your standard setup. Quiet town is slowly being infested by flesh eating slugs and no one in power believes the hero, yadda yadda yadda, you know what's going to happen, the plot isn't what makes Slugs good.

What does make it good, is there's some surprisingly great gore gags in here. I don't want to spoil any, but man, that
bedroom
kill... It's a shame they didn't have 1 or 2 more slug kills just because they were so good. I imagine the low budget kept that from happening. The budget also seems to be a bit of an issue during the ending. While it works well enough, it doesn't seem like they had the money to make it as big of an event as they should have.

There's also an
attempted rape
scene that just comes out of nowhere and while not graphic or anything since it's stopped before anything begins, it feels really out of place and too mean spirited considering the rest of the movie. It kind of tainted it a bit for me.

Other than that though, Slugs is some good, low budget fun.

Recommended.

Final Viewed List (2014):
01) White Zombie (1932) (Oct 1)
02) The Vampire Lovers (1970) (Oct 2)
03) Vampyros Lesbos (1971) (Oct 3)
04) She Killed in Ecstasy (Sie tötete in Ekstase) (1971) (Oct 4)
05) All the Colors of the Dark (Tutti i colori del buio) (1972) (Oct 5)
06) Flesh for Frankenstein (1973) (Oct 6)
07) Blood for Dracula (1974) (Oct 7)
08) Death Bed: The Bed that Eats (1977) (Oct 9)
09) Parasite (1982) (Oct 9)
10) Xtro (1982) (Oct 10)
11) The Hunger (1983) (Oct 11)
12) Nail Gun Massacre (1985) (Oct 12)
13) ThanksKilling (2009) (Oct 13)
14) The Stuff (1985) (Oct 15)
15) Ravenous (1999) (Oct 16)
16) Dolls (1987) (Oct 17)

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
1) Annabelle (Theater)
2) Carrie ('76, Netflix US)
3) Carrie ('13, Netflix US)
4) Scream 3 (Netflix US)
5) Hostel (Netflix Mexico)
6) The Woman in Black (Netflix Mexico)
7) Saw (Netflix Canada)
8) Dawn of the Dead ('04, Netflix Canada)
9) Child's Play (Netflix Canada)
10) Scary Movie (Netflix UK)
11) Saw II (Netflix Canada)
12) Saw III (Netflix Canada)
13) Las brujas de Zugarramurdi (Netflix Mexico)
14) Drag me to Hell (Netflix Sweden)
15) Scream 4 (Netflix Sweden)
16) The Craft (Netflix UK)
17) Dark Skies (Netflix UK)
18) Friday the 13th: Part 4: The Final Chapter (Netflix UK)
19) The Crazies (Netflix UK): 4.5/5 A great film. It is a fun ride. I loved the destruction and seeing how quickly things go to shit in the small town. The violence and tension/suspense in the film is fantastic. Can not recommend this movie enough.

20) You're Next (Netflix US): 5/5 Without a doubt, one of my favorite horror movies of recent years. It is a home invasion movie that once it starts, it doesn't slow down one bit. The story is decent and the killings are gory. But where the movie really shines for me is the atmosphere and the music. I loved the music in this film. Watch this next.

Edit- Slugs is the shit. Loved it. I plan on watching it next week.

Oct. 18

Lustforvampire.jpg

The second of Hammer's Karnstein trilogy, which are loosely themed around the J. Sheridan Le Fanu novella Carmilla. This time we find the reincarnated Carmilla feasting on the students of a newly appointed finishing school for singularly attractive young ladies who exercise in translucent, diaphanous gowns and bare their breasts to one another at every opportunity. Lust for a Vampire is generally looked down upon even by fans of Hammer's films (Ralph Bates is reported to have said he thought it the worst film ever made), but the truth is I've seen far worse films than this (Battlefield Earth anyone?), and despite the fact that it's generally weak, there are some points to recommend it. Certainly, Yutte Stensgaard perfectly combines the conflicting elements of innocence and carnal hunger that seemed to evade Ingrid Pitt, and again we're presented with this idea of a Vampire falling in love - not with her victims this time, but with one of the teachers - which unfortunately is also where the film kind of falls apart... Confused scripting, extraneous characters falling in and out of the plot, and some really bad music (Strange Love is worse even than the band Stoneground in the opening to Dracula A.D. 1972) drag the film down pretty hard. Still, I didn't mind seeing it again (it's been quite a few years) if for no other reason than

yutte-stensgaard10.jpg

View List 2014 - The Hammer Horror edition (other vampires week)
  1. White Zombie (1932)
  2. The Curse of Frankenstein (1957)
  3. The Revenge of Frankenstein (1959)
  4. Evil of Frankenstein (1964)
  5. Frankenstein Created Woman (1967)
  6. Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed (1969)
  7. Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell (1974)
  8. Horror of Dracula (1958)
  9. Dracula Prince of Darkness (1966)
  10. Dracula Has Risen From The Grave (1968)
  11. Taste the Blood of Dracula (1969)
  12. Scars of Dracula (1970)
  13. Dracula A.D. 1972 (1972)
  14. Satanic Rites of Dracula (1973)
  15. The Brides of Dracula (1960)
  16. Kiss of the Vampire (1963)
  17. The Vampire Lovers (1970)
  18. Lust for a Vampire (1971)

WoodWERD

17. Monkey Shines (Netflix) - When the best actor in the film is the monkey, you're going places. This wasn't really a horror movie to me, so I'd say avoid.

18. Dark Skies (Netflix) - Pretty generic alien abduction flick. It had its moments but the ending was as lame as calling the aliens The Greys.

1. Cabin in the Woods (rewatch)
2. Absentia
3. White Zombie
4. The Den
5. Dawn of the Dead (2004, rewatch)
6. Grabbers
7. Pumpkinhead
8. Halloween (2007)
9. Supernova
10. Atrocious
11. The Sacrament
12. The Town That Dreaded Sundown
13. The Serpent and the Rainbow
14. Re-Animator
15. House on Haunted Hill (1959)
16. Phantoms
17. Monkey Shines
18. Dark Skies

kinggroin

Banned
Not really participating in this movie a day game, but I felt compelled to share my impression of Found (2012).

Without giving much away, its the prequel to Henry Portrait of a Killer, the origin of Dexter, Haddonfield's The Wonder Years, Brian DePalma's version of a John Hughes coming of age movie.

A 12 year old boy discovers his brother is a serial killer. Growing up is hard enough, now imagine the difficulty when the major source of strength and moral direction is that same brother.

Strong performances from the two leads, with the rest providing serviceable attempts.

Keep in mind this was produced on a shoe string budget, so there are notable concessions. The most glaring one was the sound levels; voices were very hard to hear at times.

Anyway that's it.

Word of warning, the movie is VERY graphic in the couple scenes that demonstrate violence. Weak stomachs and easily disturbed minds are better off reading "My Friend Dahmer".

Started Paranoman on Friday on Netflix. Fell asleep just from me being exhausted. Loved what I saw.

Go back to watch it. And it's gone, wtf. What are the chances.

1) Annabelle (Theater)
2) Carrie ('76, Netflix US)
3) Carrie ('13, Netflix US)
4) Scream 3 (Netflix US)
5) Hostel (Netflix Mexico)
6) The Woman in Black (Netflix Mexico)
7) Saw (Netflix Canada)
8) Dawn of the Dead ('04, Netflix Canada)
9) Child's Play (Netflix Canada)
10) Scary Movie (Netflix UK)
11) Saw II (Netflix Canada)
12) Saw III (Netflix Canada)
13) Las brujas de Zugarramurdi (Netflix Mexico)
14) Drag me to Hell (Netflix Sweden)
15) Scream 4 (Netflix Sweden)
16) The Craft (Netflix UK)
17) Dark Skies (Netflix UK)
18) Friday the 13th: Part 4: The Final Chapter (Netflix UK)
19) The Crazies (Netflix UK): 4.5/5 A great film. It is a fun ride. I loved the destruction and seeing how quickly things go to shit in the small town. The violence and tension/suspense in the film is fantastic. Can not recommend this movie enough.

20) You're Next (Netflix US): 5/5 Without a doubt, one of my favorite horror movies of recent years. It is a home invasion movie that once it starts, it doesn't slow down one bit. The story is decent and the killings are gory. But where the movie really shines for me is the atmosphere and the music. I loved the music in this film. Watch this next.

Edit- Slugs is the shit. Loved it. I plan on watching it next week.
You're Next was just surprisingly awesome. The best modern slasher out there.

Gd7psTi.jpg

18) La Setta (1991) (Oct 19)

Michele Soavi's Dellamorte Dellamore is one of my favourite movies so last year I began tracking down the 3 other horror movies he did before disappearing into a sea of TV work. StageFright: Aquarius was excellent, but I didn't care for The Church so I wasn't sure where La Setta would fall.

While it doesn't reach the heights of StageFright or Dellamorte Dellamore, La Setta is a solid flick. I don't want to go into the plot because it's best to see this one fresh (and I don't think I could explain it even if I wanted to).

Like his other movies, Soavi fills the screen with stylistic visuals and creative shots though this one seems to be pulled back a little more than his other movies, leaving the crazy story to take over. Don't even try to figure this one out as it goes, it's puzzling and bizarre, but in a good way. It might not make the most sense, but it holds your attention until the end.

Unfortunately like a lot of other movies of this type, the ending falters a bit and comes off as a little lazy and disappointing. Still worth checking out for Soavi and Argento fans though, especially since Soavi abandoned horror so soon afterwards. He had a real talent for it.

Recommended.

Final Viewed List (2014):
01) White Zombie (1932) (Oct 1)
02) The Vampire Lovers (1970) (Oct 2)
03) Vampyros Lesbos (1971) (Oct 3)
04) She Killed in Ecstasy (Sie tötete in Ekstase) (1971) (Oct 4)
05) All the Colors of the Dark (Tutti i colori del buio) (1972) (Oct 5)
06) Flesh for Frankenstein (1973) (Oct 6)
07) Blood for Dracula (1974) (Oct 7)
08) Death Bed: The Bed that Eats (1977) (Oct 9)
09) Parasite (1982) (Oct 9)
10) Xtro (1982) (Oct 10)
11) The Hunger (1983) (Oct 11)
12) Nail Gun Massacre (1985) (Oct 12)
13) ThanksKilling (2009) (Oct 13)
14) The Stuff (1985) (Oct 15)
15) Ravenous (1999) (Oct 16)
16) Dolls (1987) (Oct 17)
18) La Setta (1991) (Oct 19)

MattyH

#19 -Suspiria - The Film that hooked me on italian cinema and the works of dario argento from the visuals to the sound to the camera work its perfect

gabbo

October 19th Movie #15 - The New York Ripper

Man I've really fallen behind, here so I'm going to try and make up some ground today.
First off, The New York Ripper. The first Fulci (the only other in fact) film I've seen that isn't Zombi, and well, it was pretty bad. High on gore, light on just about everything else. As gore does nothing for me on a scare or entertainment value level, this has to be worst giallo I've likely ever seen (not a large list, though). Not worth it at all. Next year, I'm going to be more selective of the films

Divius

Mk7KhwR.jpg

#14 - Prom Night
For some reason I was under the impression that this was a 'slasher classic' from the 80s, but as it turns out, it isn't that good. Honestly not much happens for over an hour, so it's rather boring and then there's some mediocre kills at the end, but they don't justify the overall lameness of the movie. 4/10

ElTopo

Banned
October 19th Movie #15 - The New York Ripper

Man I've really fallen behind, here so I'm going to try and make up some ground today.
First off, The New York Ripper. The first Fulci (the only other in fact) film I've seen that isn't Zombi, and well, it was pretty bad. High on gore, light on just about everything else. As gore does nothing for me on a scare or entertainment value level, this has to be worst giallo I've likely ever seen (not a large list, though). Not worth it at all. Next year, I'm going to be more selective of the films

NYR is kinda' like it or hate it. Try his other horror films like The Beyond, City of the Living Dead, or House by the Cemetery.

Divius

k0YY7Z1.jpg

#15 - Prince of Darkness
It's 80s John Carpenter, so that has to stand for something and should be a guarantee for a certain level of entertainment, and that certainly rings true for Prince of Darkness. In the basement of a church Satan himself is embodied in a jar of green goo with telekinetic powers that turns the people in the church in some sort of satanic zombies. It's fun, somewhat disturbing, has an awesome soundtrack but isn't near Carpenter's best stuff from the decade. 6.5/10

Mk7KhwR.jpg

#14 - Prom Night
For some reason I was under the impression that this was a 'slasher classic' from the 80s, but as it turns out, it isn't that good. Honestly not much happens for over an hour, so it's rather boring and then there's some mediocre kills at the end, but they don't justify the overall lameness of the movie. 4/10

If it wasn't for Curtis return to a slasher after Halloween, this movie would have been one of the many forgotten slashers of the period.

New York Ripper is great just because of how sleazy it is. They don't make'em like that anymore. A real trash classic.

*Quacks angrily at gabbo*

I saw it last year and I loved New York Ripper. It was so sleazy and suspenseful. Different strokes for different folks I guess, too bad you didn't care for it. I could use a little more New York Ripper-ish movies in my list this year!

Have you seen Strip Nude For Your Killer?

ElTopo

Banned
*Quacks angrily at gabbo*

I saw it last year and I loved New York Ripper. It was so sleazy and suspenseful. Different strokes for different folks I guess, too bad you didn't care for it. I could use a little more New York Ripper-ish movies in my list this year!

"Quack quack quack, just like that!"

As an aside, The Town That Dreaded Sundown remake was really, really good. Great slasher flick and better than the original.

Divius

jJD3GL7.jpg

#16 - The Ninth Gate
Nothing scary about this, yet it takes itself quite serious. It would have been a lot funnier with a Nic Cage as the protagonist, now we are just somewhat stuck in a rut because we have a capabable director, a somewhat capable main actor and an interesting premise, yet there is a lack of chemistry between these components. It's still an entertaining watch, but also a lot of missed oppurtinities that fail to lift this to a higher level. 6/10

obin_gam

To this day I cannot watch the scenes with Zelda in them.

That is probably why I rank #19. Pet Sematary as one of my favourit horror movies of all time.
BDXNBfS.jpg

gabbo

WEEK THREE (Oct 16): WOMEN IN HORROR
Proxy

Saw this last year at TIFF. The first 20 minutes were the hardest 20 minutes of film I've ever sat through (and I nearly didn't make it), but it was a surreal and enjoyable film by the time it all wrapped up. Glad someone else has found this, as it's rather small, unless you're aware of say, some of the mumblecore individuals involved.

gabbo

October 19th Movie 16 - The Devil's Backbone
Second movie of the day, and it's much more effective at eliciting scares than all of the previous films combined (the 'pit'.... eep!). As a Del Toro fan, I'm glad to have finally sat down and watched all of this (I remember parts of it from years ago, but never saw the whole film).
Suspenseful, with some really good acting (and more children in terrible situations). Worth it. Del Toro should direct/write more children in peril horror films, please k thanks :)

Here's my list so far:

Reviews linked as I watch them. In no real order
1. Devil's Backbone
2. Blood and Black Lace
3. Last Man on Earth
4. New York Ripper
5. Life Force
6. Phantasm
7. Maniac (2012)
8. Basket Case
9. Grave Encounters
10. Kill Baby Kill
11. Kaidan
12. American Mary
13. Mama
14. The Horde (2009)
15. Testament of Dr. Mabuse
16. Dream Home
17. Noroi the Curse
18. The Inn Keepers
19. Bird with the Crystal Plumage
20. From Beyond
21. Sleep Away Camp
22. White Zombie
23. Ravenous
24. V/H/S 2
25. The Shrine
26. Would You Rather
27. Honeymoon (2014)
28. What Have the Done To Your Daughter (if I can find it in time)
28 Alt - Friday the 13th (1980) - I've never actually seen this.
29. Jug Face
30. Strange Circus
31. Anti-Viral

Gameboy415

1. Lifeforce (Blu-Ray)
2. Sleepaway Camp (Blu-Ray)
3. White Zombie (Netflix)
4. The Video Dead (Blu-Ray)
5. Prince of Darkness (Blu-Ray)
6. Tormented 3D (Blu-Ray)
7. Night of the Demons (Blu-Ray)
8. From Beyond (Blu-Ray)
9. Body Bags (Blu-Ray)
10. The Dungeon Master (AKA: Ragewar) (DVD)
11. Cellar Dweller (DVD)
12. Contamination .7 (DVD)
13. Catacombs (DVD)
14. How to Make a Monster (DVD)
15. House on Haunted Hill (DVD)
16. Terror Train (Blu-Ray)
17. The Thing From Another World (DVD)

I watched every movie in this set over the course of the weekend:

18. What's the Matter with Helen? (DVD)
19. The Vagrant (DVD)
20. The Godsend (DVD)
21. The Outing (AKA: The Lamp) (DVD)

-What's the Matter with Helen and The Vagrant were quite entertaining, The Outing was decent, and The Godsend was okay, but it was a bit too long/slow-paced for my liking.

I'm already a bit ahead at this point but I still might watch another movie or two tonight! :)

Divius

pBuZy7F.jpg

#17 - Pieces
Yess! FInally something truly awesome, the highlight of the month so far for me. There is a bunch of stuff that doesn't make sense plotwise, but honestly it does not matter since it is so much fun. There is lots of co-ed nudity, gorey and bloody chainsaw killings and a rather terrible dub, what else could you ask for. Also that final shot wtffffff. 8/10

I've been negligent in posting even though I've been watching a movie every night. The first 20 films will be off of my DVR, while the last 11 will be from Netflix US, HBO Go, Max Go, Showtime Anytime, Amazon Instant Video, Starz Play, or Encore Play.

1. Sinister (2012)
Sinister makes an incredible first impression by showing the hanging of four hooded figures that clearly comprise a family. As soon as Ethan Hawke’s Ellison Oswalt and Juliet Rylance’s Tracy move into their new spacious suburban home, we see through the kitchen window that the hanging tree is in their backyard.

Sinister sprinkles its powerful footage of families dying throughout the years to spice up what’s otherwise a pretty standard horror film, full of things barely glimpsed in darkness and creaking wooden ceilings. The interest comes from the implied shared history of the Oswalt family. It’s clear Ellison has dragged his family through some troubles as he pursued his true crime writing career. Tracy hints that he drinks heavily when he writes because what he unearths during his investigations disturb him. His daughter, who is implied to be a burgeoning artist, complains about being uprooted once again; it’s problematic when you’ve moved around enough that you can’t remember where the bathroom in your new house is. And Ellison and Tracy’s son suffers night terrors that are attributed to stress and worsen as the Ellison’s troubles accumulate.

The memetic transmission at the center of Sinister reminded me of The Ring, and it’s a subtle jab at the horror film viewer. We see horrific violence and cruelty portrayed in any number of horror films. At some point, what we see will accumulate in our memories and possibly begin to haunt us. We can compartmentalize and know the separation between reality and fiction, but it doesn’t detract from the reality that time and resources were spent on recreating or inventing these portrayals of violence and cruelty. Ellison opened the door to his troubles because he moved into this house and watched the 8mm snuff films he found in the attic. John Trent was driven insane after reading In the Mouth of Madness. We are warned about what we allow into our brains.

2. Shadow of the Vampire (2000)

I appreciated what director E. Elias Merhige and writer Steven Katz tried to do here. By recreating the shooting of Nosferatu, Merhige and Katz explore the obsessions with artistic creation and legacies while crafting a vampire movie. Embedding the trials and tribulations of creating art into the story of a legendary monster struggling to survive in the modern world by repressing his true nature tied the idea of the monster and the artist together. Indeed, John Malkovich’s Murnau is more of a monster than Willem’s Dafoe’s Schreck as Count Orlock; he’s willing to sacrifice anything for art, and he’s completely uninterested in other people. His art justifies his actions.

I’d categorize this as movie closer to satires about the struggles of writers and directors in Hollywood like The Player, Sullivan’s Travels, or Barton Fink than vampire movies like Tod Browning’s Dracula, Daybreakers (which also stars Willem Dafoe), or Neil Jordan’s Interview with the Vampire. After Schreck consumes the cinematographer and muses aloud, “I do not think we need…the writer,” one wonders if this wouldn’t be the first time that a diva star actor or actress would consume and destroy a cinematographer or writer. Murnau’s pursuit of the real by offering Greta, played by Catherine McCormack, to quench Schreck’s desire is reminiscent of directors who desperately try to recreate or capture “real” moments or method actors who undergo physical transformations in order to more fully inhabit the characters they portray. In presenting art, the pursuit of the “real” is all-consuming.

Schreck laments that he’s a creature who’s probably lived too long but who is still defined by his appetites. For a centuries-old creature who seemed to have lived in solitude for ages, subsisting by never satiated by rodents and small prey, how far could Schreck leave his need to consume blood behind? Reformed vampires in popular culture, combined with the fact that the sheer passage of time has worn away the menace and horror the vampire presents, present Schreck as an almost comical, doddering old man who happens to live on blood. When Schreck answers questions from members of the film crew while seeming to remain in character to them, Schreck reveals that the passage of years hasn’t worn away the psychic and physical horror of his existence. For Schreck, he can only laugh and move on to the next source of blood.

3. The Exorcism of Emily Rose (2005)

The Exorcism of Emily Rose made a strong first impression with its cast. It seemed that Tom Wilkinson and Laura Linney were a bit over-qualified to star in an exorcism movie, even in 2005. Wilkinson could still point to his Academy Award nomination for his performance in In the Bedroom, while Linney could cite her Academy Award nominations for her performance in You Can Count on Me and Kinsey.

It seems strange to use a tool of reason (a fairly tepid courtroom procedural) to decide an issue of faith (a death of a young woman who claimed to be possessed by multiple demons). Ultimately, the film tries to seem ambivalent about what happened by finding the priest guilty of the charges laid against by man but absolving him of further punishment because…why exactly? Did the jury believe his story about demonic possession? Did the jury find him sympathetic? Clearly, the defense’s argument didn’t generate sufficient doubt, since the jury found him guilty of negligent homicide. So, why did the jury recommend that he be sentenced to time served? And can a Roman Catholic priest who believes in demonic possession and the might of God that powers exorcism truly find a jury of his peers in the secular world?

Jennifer Carpenter’s performance was physically demanding and committed; unfortunately, the character of Emily Rose doesn’t get developed very much. Watching Carpenter contort and scream was fun the first couple of times, but other films, such as The Last Exorcism, have featured even more impressive performances by young, flexible actresses.

The prosecution’s case is compelling, but the prosecutor’s increasingly bilious tone over the course of the trial (and the movie) is off-putting. I understand that he would feel that the defense’s case would seem to be a mockery of his own faith and of the power of the court, but I can’t see how it would serve his case to harass the priest while he’s on the witness stand, which would undermine his case in the eyes of the jury and play to the defense’s tactic of making the priest seem sympathetic.

The film leaves it to the viewer to sort out his or her feelings about what actually happened to Emily Rose. I appreciate that the film doesn’t want to commit to one side or the other, but those scenes are the film’s meat. While explanations are offered for Emily Rose’s behaviors and medical problems, no explanations are offered for why Linney’s character’s front door is mysteriously unlocked at 3 a.m. or why her watch would stop at 3 a.m. during the course of the trial. It tries to tip its hand with creepy events happen to the characters at 3 a.m., but it then pulls back and pretends that it is still offering an even case for the rational and the supernatural.

4. Would You Rather (2012)

The guy who played Abe on Mad Men (Charlie Hofheimer), Crabman from My Name Is Earl (Eddie Steeples), the guy who played D’Angelo Barksdale on The Wire (Lawrence Gilliard, Jr.), John Heard, recent Academy Award nominee June Squibb, Brittany Snow, Jeffrey Combs, and Sasha Grey make up an eclectic cast for Would You Rather, an interesting bottle horror film that’s ultimately let down by its ending.

The metanarrative presented by the film is curious from the start; by placing a copyright notice from the Lambrick Foundation, which sponsors the clinics and the deadly game that are shown in the film, a level of reality and remove is stripped away from the film. It’s never commented upon, and the film doesn’t play like a documentary, so it invites the viewer to question what the purpose of playing this metanarrative game is. Did the fictional Lambrick Foundation produce the film to advertise how it tries to help people (by inviting them to participate in a deadly game of “Would you rather”) to viewers and potential participants? It’s a wink and a tease, but nothing about the film is equipped to give more than that winking tease.

That the Lambrick Foundation is represented by Shepard Lambrick, played by Jeffrey Combs, also raises the question of whether this deadly form of noblesse oblige is a type of family tradition. We hear that Shepard’s son, Julian, hasn’t been quite right since his mother died, but we have no baseline against which to compare his wrongness. We only see that Julian is a sarcastic, disobedient psychopath. Is Shepard using this to bond to his son, or is this the family tradition that he is trying to pass on to his son? And it’s curious that Shepard allows for great acts of violence, but Julian’s act of sexual violence against Iris is met with disappointment and disapproval by Bevans, Shepard’s butler and surrogate in that scene.

It’s also worth examining whether Shepard is drawing his pleasure from seeing the game’s participants’ desperation or seeing them make decisive steps to improve their lives. He offers them a promise of drastically improving their lives if they participate in the game. Is his joy born from cruelty, or is it from his twisted sense of noblesse oblige that compels him to give his wealth back to society at a significant cost to the recipient?

It should also be noted that Shepard and Julian might be the most traditional family unit presented by the film. Snow’s Iris has to take care of her ill brother because they are orphans, which places the sister in the role of the mother. Peter, played by Robb Wells, lost his family due to his alcoholism. Amy, played by Sasha Grey, lost her daughter at the hands of her husband. Lucas, played by Enver Gjokaj, mentions three sisters, but he can provide no more details before he’s interrupted.

The film comes very close to actually being good, but it’s dragged down by its ending, which feels like a sucker punch twist. There isn’t sufficient context for that character’s final decision to make sense on initial viewing; maybe it makes more sense in hindsight or on a second viewing, but there isn’t enough here to warrant a second viewing. There are some dialogue fragments that hint at the conclusion, but the ending feels artificially constructed to shock.

oatmeal

Banned
Anyone going to watch the vicious brothers new movie, EXTRATERRESTRIAL? Just came out on iTunes rental.
They're the grave encounters guys.

Anyone going to watch the vicious brothers new movie, EXTRATERRESTRIAL? Just came out on iTunes rental.

Just watched this, though it was pretty bad. It's like they purposefully listed every horror trope/cliche and made sure they fit them all in. Awful script, bad acting, paper thin and beyond dumb characters and some interesting ideas/scenes often thrown off by overexcited directing and a synthy score that harms the tone and tension. I quite liked the ending, and I love the idea of scary greys but it just didn't work for me.

Guys, check out Housebound. Excellent British horror/murder mystery.

I'll be checking this out soon, I've heard good things. It's New Zealand though, not British.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst

The impressions out of Tribeca were pretty bad. Even from the horror enthusiast press...

Are you recommending this?

Top Bottom